• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

rain gear _ Norte

peter_

Time of past OR future Camino
august/september 2022 on Norte
Hey guys 🕊 I would like to ask about your experiences and opinions with rain weather on Norte. Do you think I have to bring rain gear (waterproof shoes, pants and jacket)? Or os it OK just with poncho? I dont know what to do, because now I have only my Salomon trail runners (they are not waterpfoor at all) and Teva sandals... and poncho if it comes to rain. I start my camino August 17th from Irún and forecast is storm-rainy weather first three days in a row, and also many rainy days in next month. What do you think? Thanks for any recommendations!
~ Peter

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Footwear is going to get wet no matter what you are wearing. The important thing is how quickly it will dry out. I have found sandals to be perfect on rain and mud.

I also bring waterproof socks to wear with my sandals for really wet days.

I wear wool socks and trail runners, changing my socks when they get too wet and letting them dry overnight. Has worked perfectly on four Caminos, including snow, pouring rain, and heat. Waterproof anything tends to eventual fail and then you have clothing keeping water INSIDE and your body not being able to breathe and shed heat.

We walked two weeks on the Norte (Bayonne-Bilbao) in October and did just fine with just rain jackets. We got wet from the waist down on the few days in rained, but they dried just fine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walked the entire Norte in August and Sept of 2019. Wore rain pants and jacket which were great for the frequent day long persistent rain events. Prior to walking the Norte I did a practice hike from Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre. While walking I met people who had just finished the Norte and they advised me that i better be prepared to sleep outside a few nights due to lack of beds. I took their advise and carried two extra ponchos --one for under my sleeping bag and one for over the bag. Also had an extra rain coat but I gave it to a woman who walked without any rain gear. I know i carry too much but I learned the hard way that is better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

Have a poncho that covers you and your pack. Have newspaper to put in your trail runners at night. As soon as you get to the albergue stuff them with newspapers and if you can do it again before you go to bed. They will definately be dry in the morning. Predicting the weather especially these days????? I don't think it is possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey guys 🕊 I would like to ask about your experiences and opinions with rain weather on Norte. Do you think I have to bring rain gear (waterproof shoes, pants and jacket)? Or os it OK just with poncho? I dont know what to do, because now I have only my Salomon trail runners (they are not waterpfoor at all) and Teva sandals... and poncho if it comes to rain. I start my camino August 17th from Irún and forecast is storm-rainy weather first three days in a row, and also many rainy days in next month. What do you think? Thanks for any recommendations!
~ Peter
It rains most days especially in the Basque Country whether it’s a light mist, fast downpour, a gentle shower or all day. The albergues have news paper to stuff in your boots which works well. I was kitted out in rain jacket, rain pants, pack cover , waterproof stuff bags but regretted not bringing an umbrella. It is perfect for light misty rains in warmer, humid weather when other gear is just too hot. The locals always carry an umbrella in one hand to be ready.
Buen Camino

Wet weather on the Le Puy route ,May 2018, really thankful for water proof boots and rain pants to keep water from filling boots from the top. Usually didn't bother with rain jacket unless it was really wild (one memorable thunderstorm!) Or cold. Just used unbrella which regulated the heat. Yes, sometimes a few 'wardrobe' changes throughout the day as rain pants came off and on as the showers came through but for me much better than our sodden shoes on the Frances May 2014.

We walked the Norte in May-June 2018. It rained all the way from Basque country to Galicia - everything from light misty rain to torrential rain and gale force winds! We wore goretex jackets and trousers, which kept us completely dry and warm in all conditions. We were very thankful we decided to take them!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Footwear is going to get wet no matter what you are wearing. The important thing is how quickly it will dry out. I have found sandals to be perfect on rain and mud.

I also bring waterproof socks to wear with my sandals for really wet days.
Seeing how you've been through this, would it be possible to recommend your brand of waterproof socks?

We start the Norte on Monday August 22nd and have taken the advice to buy Sealskinz socks for both of us. Its our emergency pair in case our shoes get too wet, at least our feet will be dry.

We also have full weatherproof trousers and jackets 🌂 Oh yes, and a lightweight brolly.

@peter_ From your start date, you should be on the Norte now - How is the weather?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.