• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain gear, again

Singingheart

Kathy Dahm
Time of past OR future Camino
I know that this issue has been covered over and again, but all the same, now that I'm down to my final decisions about my gear, I'm wavering. I'm walking this Sept. and Oct., through the end of October. Because of that, I've thought that I'll take my Ferrino poncho and a pair of very lightweight rain pants. But lightweight is a relative term. How important is it that I take them? I imagine that I'll need them the most in October, maybe the second half of October. I'm 73. I don't want to get too cold from being wet all day. But they're extra weight, for sure. I've thought about mailing them from SJPDP to Leon or somewhere else, when I'll be more accustomed to the weight of my pack. But maybe I'll need them before that. Or maybe not at all. My hiking pants are, of course, the quick dry kind. And I'm wearing waterproof low rise Keen boots. What do the veterans among you think? I've already eliminated the rain cover for my Deuter backpack, since if it's raining a lot, I'll use the Ferrino poncho. I'm taking a very lightweight rain resistant but not water-proof jacket as a windbreaker. Many thanks in advance for your advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walk Oct-Nov and wouldn't go without good rain gear. Personally I prefer pants, jacket and pack cover. If you have a poncho, maybe you don't need rain pants. What is the total weight of your pack? Maybe you can save weight on other items.

I walked the Frances in Sept and Oct 2013 with a poncho and rain pants. The poncho was big enough to cover me and my pack. Albeit riding a little higher at the back this combination worked perfectly through a lot of rain in Galicia.
One thing I will make sure to do differently for my next walk. The rain pants should have zippers so you can put the pants on over your boots without removing your boots first. I didn't have a pack cover and never needed it.
Otherwise, simple, effective, and light weight.
All the best.
Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I use the same brand poncho that you use. It has a adjustable space for wearing with or without a pack. I can unzip and leave it draped over my pack when the rain stops and slip on again if the rain starts. I have walked the English in May/June and the Portuguese in Sept/Oct. I got rained on walking both :(. Not a gentle rain but a pouring rain. With the exception of the bottom of my pant legs and shoes everything stayed dry :). I will not walk the Caminos without it. I have seen people who did not bring ponchos or just wore a raincoat, they did not look like happy campers :mad: or happy pilgrims. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I have walked caminos four times between October and April. I always take a rain jacket, rain pants and waterproof boots. I have used them on every camino and have always stayed dry and warm even with several days of rain. I also use the pants as a warm layer against wind and cold weather. I would recommend rain pants for October. They really don't add a significant amount of weight. To me carrying the extra weight is preferable to rain soaked pants in cold weather. Make sure to take layers. On my October camino, I had to buy a fleece in Astorga because the evenings were quite cold. No matter what you choose, you will be fine. You will be walking through several cities and can buy anything you need. Have a great camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Frances in Sept and Oct 2013 with a poncho and rain pants. The poncho was big enough to cover me and my pack. Albeit riding a little higher at the back this combination worked perfectly through a lot of rain in Galicia.
One thing I will make sure to do differently for my next walk. The rain pants should have zippers so you can put the pants on over your boots without removing your boots first. I didn't have a pack cover and never needed it.
Otherwise, simple, effective, and light weight.
All the best.
Buen Camino.
Thanks! My rainpants do have zippers on the legs and velcro covers over the zippers.

We got only 3 days of rain in our Camino Frances in May. As I am very short/small and aimed for the lightest pack I could, I took a plastic rain poncho with me - one of those very light ones you wear in a soccer game. It worked very well.

It was large and long enough to cover my backpack and my legs, and weighed nothing. I just had to be very delicate while wearing it and taking it off, so it wouldn't rip. After using, I'd fold it into a ziplock (plastic bag).

Don't know if it would work for everyone, but I was pretty happy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back