• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain gear in July

Zoran K.

ZK1107
Time of past OR future Camino
2005 St. Olavs tr.
2018+2019+2023 CF
2020+2021 VF
I will walk my second CF in July 2019 starting from SJPDP 25 June.I
Last years CF was also in July (1st to 29th) and I had 3-4 rainy days. Already on the first rainy day it was clear to me that I was almost as wet with the rain jacket (very breathable and very expensive HH jacket) as without it, so I took it off and walked in refreshing July rain. This time I will not carry any rain gear except maybe shoe covers for rain.
Since it was not cold, I actually enjoyed the train event though it was poring for hours. As soon as the sun was out I was dry.
Did anyone have similar experience of being sweat-wet under the rain jacket and just took it off.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will walk my second CF in July 2019 starting from SJPDP 25 June.I
Last years CF was also in July (1st to 29th) and I had 3-4 rainy days. Already on the first rainy day it was clear to me that I was almost as wet with the rain jacket (very breathable and very expensive HH jacket) as without it, so I took it off and walked in refreshing July rain. This time I will not carry any rain gear except maybe shoe covers for rain.
Since it was not cold, I actually enjoyed the train event though it was poring for hours. As soon as the sun was out I was dry.
Did anyone have similar experience of being sweat-wet under the rain jacket and just took it off.
I agree with you, it’s usually much too hot in July for a rain jacket. I have taken a poncho (and used it), it is well ventilated. Now I just take an umbrella. 😎

Did anyone have similar experience of being sweat-wet under the rain jacket
Yes, so I bought a Packa which has large underarm zippers. It helped, but there still was a lot of inside condensation. It is a balance between soaked pack and clothes from really heavy rain, and lighter perspiration. It would be a bit daring not to take rain gear!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've never had a poncho and maybe you are right that it's a bit daring not to take rain gear but since I have a back pack rain cover and umbrella is not an option because of the wind I'll try walking without rain gear and if I have a terrible summer I can always buy a poncho along the way.

For walking in April or May, in to early June, I recommend full rain kit...everything.

Once you get into July and August, it still rains, but a lot less. So, I recommend an umbrella. Remember, warm and wet is good...or at least not always bad. But, cold and wet is always bad.

Personally, I find using hiking sticks a problem when I have an umbrella, even if it is clipped to my rucksack harness. The sticks have priority. So, I choose to either get wet, or wear a parka/poncho.

Hope this helps.

Well umbrella would be best choice if it could be clipped to my rucksack harness and than it has to be tha hikers umbrella which can be used in that way and they don't come cheap. The other thing is that umbrella has to be checked in as special luggage and then you can't travel with hand luggage only which makes air ticket at least 50€ more expensive each way and I need 2 different flights which is 100€ more just because of the umbrella.
I agree, the sticks have priority

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When walking in summer sweating under your poncho or your rain-jacket may be worse than having a little rain shower. With temperatures of 20°C or more, getting wet is not really a big problem. Your skin, hair and clothing will dry soon.

But when it is really raining hard all day long, getting soaked can get very nasty and make you freeze. So I usually take an one-way poncho, just in case. Its weight is about 80 gr and if you handle it carefully you can use it several times. If you need to replace it, you can usually buy a new one in those chinese stores along the camino.

I also take a one-way poncho in spring or autum if I plan a short camino (< 2 weeks) and the weather forecasts predicts dry weather.

Yes, I agree, one-way poncho is probably the solution. I already ordered one ;)

My only experiences on the Frances during the month of July was no rain a single day. I literally had no use for any rain gear in my kit, but did have a poncho in there and a pack cover. A lightweight, packable one. If it was not so light I would have left it in an albergue.
I could not fathom wearing full rain kit (jacket and pants) while walking the Camino during the month of July (or even early August). I think it would be like walking in a mini sauna.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My only experiences on the Frances during the month of July was no rain a single day. I literally had no use for any rain gear in my kit, but did have a poncho in there and a pack cover. A lightweight, packable one. If it was not so light I would have left it in an albergue.
I could not fathom wearing full rain kit (jacket and pants) while walking the Camino during the month of July (or even early August). I think it would be like walking in a mini sauna.
Exactly; SAUNA. That was my experience too. That's why I am packing one disposable poncho and no more for rain. I must admit that going for a second time makes it much more relaxed knowing a lot of the logistics.

I was 6 days behind you last year, and the only day of real rain I had was coming into Pamplona, I personally can’t deal with ponchos (the fit and it’s end of life is something I struggle with; from cradle to grave) and prefer a jacket with pit vents to dump heat. I was dry and didnt overheat and that was in a jacket that was overkill for the Camino.

YMMV

Rather than getting a full-sized umbrella, considering a collapsible traveler's umbrella. I had one last year that I strapped to my pack straps - kept me mostly dry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have this Outdoor Research partial hoody/poncho for warm weather hiking. It covers the backpack, my head and just off the shoulders on to the arm. Obviously it's primary purpose is to only keep my head, shoulders and pack dry so no good in cold weather but when you know it's warm enough to dry your shoes/clothes overnight, it works well to keep everything in your pack dry and not have water running down your head and back during the day.

Attachments

• OR Pack Poncho.JPG
    OR Pack Poncho.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 27
My vote goes to a small umbrella for the summer hiking - awesome in rain, awesome in the sun.

Last edited:
The Altus and Packa front zipper ponchos are quick don. It rests over the pack when rain is anticipated, and easily slips on when the rain starts. When it stops, just slip back out. Unless the rain is continuous and heavy, there is no reason to create a war between condensation inside and rain outside.:)

I have the rain umbrella that attaches to the pack straps. It is better for sun than rain, but it works.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have this Outdoor Research partial hoody/poncho for warm weather hiking. It covers the backpack, my head and just off the shoulders on to the arm. Obviously it's primary purpose is to only keep my head, shoulders and pack dry so no good in cold weather but when you know it's warm enough to dry your shoes/clothes overnight, it works well to keep everything in your pack dry and not have water running down your head and back during the day.
That looks very cool, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's available any more. 😢

That looks very cool, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's available any more. 😢
I’ve seen your sewing skills and bet you could easily make your own. Start with a standard backpack cover, buy a sheet of waterproof ripstop material from Amazon and some glue and waterproof seam tape... and voila! If I could make my own it would have sleeves to the elbow, a little more like a full cape so only the bottom half would be unprotected but with a couple of overlapped baffles for airflow.

Yes, I agree, one-way poncho is probably the solution. I already ordered one ;)

IMHO and experience, a backpacking poncho (having a hump to cover your rucksack) is the best all-around rain protection. No solution is perfect, and each person has their preferences and biased. So, in the end, we all use what works. But the poncho is a good first choice.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One small digression, what sort of foot wear is best for the raining days?
1. Waterproof shoes/boots?
2. Non water proof shoes and dry them overnight?
3. Non water proof shoes but pair with waterproof socks?

I’ll start my Camino in mid May.

I'll be wearing sandals with waterproof socks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

For myself, I prefer choice number two. There’s a lot of literature out there on this topic, and tend to agree with what’s been said given my own experiences.

YMMV

Thanks for posting that image. That is a great design idea. Perfect for May-Oct.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.