• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain gear in September - please advise!

fallow

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
Can anyone who has dome the Camino Frances during the month of September advise me as to how much rain gear is sensible. I have a thigh length Helly Hansen jacket and also HH rain pants. I have tried them out and they work fine but it is a bit like walking in a plastic bag! Would it be wiser to forget about the pants and just let my legs/shoes/socks get wet? I would so appreciate your thoughts as I am beginning to panic about the weight of all I need to take...!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I preferred to walk with wet legs in September. Just make sure you stay warm.

I hate being wet and cold so I not only wear rain pants, I wear my calf-length Altus Poncho. And yes, you will need rain gear in September.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't like rain pants but in heavy rain you'll get a hell of a lot of water running down into your boots. Trouble is they are one of those bits of kit it really is better to either buy very good or not at all. Even moderately priced ones still give the plastic bag effect.

Gaiters keep your feet drier and they're better going through puddles and mud than waterproof pants. Cheaper and less bulk too. You'll get really good gaiters for the price of average pants.

Given the choice, dry feet trumps any other comfort concern for me.

When I bought my camino wear the sports store guy said what don't you like most re weather and I said rain. He said take rain pants. I did and I was glad. Plus they were an extra layer when it got cold. They were very light breatheable Marmot brand.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have been three times on the Camino is September, though never west of Astorga, and have experienced only a few rain days. I like a 3/4 length rain coat but no rain pants, I never used them but I liked the idea of gaiters, wet legs arn't too bad but wet feet make you feel miserable. I always wear long pants but it seemed the water was still able to get into my boots. Oh well, next time I'll get the gear right. lol.

One September we got a heat wave and wore nothing but shorts and T's. We did carry the rain gear though. I buy the cheap light rain pants, and wear them when necessary (or when cold) and a good light breathable jacket (very light now). My feet have got wet and see the advice re gaiters But I cant stick the heat of them. Do weigh your gear, there is a huge difference between brands, your HH may not have been designed for long distance/carrying all your own gear walking. Also take light fleece/s, layer up. I managed on 2 sets, one on, one in bag, and a spare bottom layer for night.
Weigh and weigh again and take nothing you do not NEED.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to write replies and share your experiences. I am still a little unsure of how to go. I feel bad about thinking of buying more (more suitable?) rain gear as what I already have is very good quality and expensive ...... but ..... as one person has mentioned, was probably not designed for long walks! In fact, if I am not mistaken, Helly Hansen is mainly designed for yachting, which is rather different! They are also no doubt heavier than many other alternatives. I will visit some of the hiking stores here in Sydney and see what I can learn from them. I know that I would just hate to be trudging around in the rain with wet feet and boots!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like Annie I need to keep dry and warm. Weight, rainproof and breathabilty also matter to me.

I have not found any gaiters that I would be happy with weight wise, or that would pack down as easy as my trousers and also keep the rain out of my boots. In September, hopefully, you will not be needing a warmth layer, but the overtrousers were good for me in the earlymorning/late evening and easy to remove or put on as needed

Poncho (Rohan) 340gms;
Waterproof overtrousers (Regatta Amelie II) 320gms, after I removed the lining, were bought larger/longer than my normal size to come over my boots.
My old Regatta pair (weight 250gms), like the earlier Amelie version, had no ankle zip so were hard to pull on over my boots.

My philosophy is to always keep dry above the top of the legs. Walking in wet pants does not normally worry me but I also wear "zip-offs" which is a better option unless its very cold. On arrival at your albergue always try to dry your wet weather gear - especially your boots/walking shoes (stuff the toes with newspaper - there is usually an old one laying around). Cheers

Walking the Le Puy route at the moment and I wouldn't be without my rain pants. Yesterday was a white out, cold and pouring with rain, few days before intermittent rain but thankful for the extra warmth. Good qualityPatagonia brand and breathable. Few years back used gaiters in the rain, rain pants win out for me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked last Sep-Oct 2012 (SJPP-Finisterre). Brought a big rain poncho, the type with arms an snapped up the front. I used it one major day of rain and after walking a day of rain, I was wet everywhere, maybe due to sweat as the poncho was hot. I had also brought rain pants. They were also too hot. Next time I will bring a rain coat for above the waist and let my legs get wet.

Trekking umbrella (GoLite Chrome Dome) for sun and light to moderate rain. Backpackers poncho for heavy rain.
But I don't care if my legs/arms get wet. Just want to keep my gear, core and head dry.
And I gave up worrying about wet boots a long time ago. I don't even use waterproof ones anymore - too heavy and claustrophobic. Change of socks, sometimes liners, and Vaseline have worked for me.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.