• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain gear needed in June?

sandykayak

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés (2017)
I've read about April showers but what should I take in the way of outerwear for the whole month of June: Madrid, CI and then ?

Breathable hooded rain jacket?
Rain pants?
Thin windbreaker?
Lightweight fleece jacket?

I guess the real question is what I can safely leave behind. Am I likely to feel cold? (I live in Miami, Fl, so 60° F is cold for me!)

I just read about some people taking reflective vests (I don't have one. Not sure where to get). Opinions?

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sandy, here in Galicia the weather will still be fluctuating in June (real beach weather doesn't start until late July or August). It may be raining off and on, but I think for you the thing to prepare for will be the "cold" - during the day it can still be in the 60's and 70's for a while, though at times reach 80's (but not often in June). Mornings and evenings will be when you'll most want layers on - I put on and take off layers all day here in Santiago - the mornings are cool, lunchtime is hot, but then evenings are cool again. More like Seattle than like Miami, I take it! :)

So....all that to say, bring your rain jacket and fleece. I have never worn rain pants while walking, and I think you might actually get too hot with them in June. If you have quick-dry pants and don't mind enduring a couple of hours of wet pants if it does rain (and duck into a cafe and dry out a bit if it rains hard) then you should be OK. If you have a rain jacket I don't think you'll need a windbreaker.

Do you have a waterproof pack cover? I'd recommend that you bring one if not.

Hope that helps. Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino.
Faith

Last edited:
You have to consider that you will be walking outdoors, sometimes on long stretches where there will be no shelter. Even if odds are low that you might need rain gear or warm gear ... what will you do if you need it?

Hypothermia is a risk all year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
what should I take in the way of outerwear
I rarely travel anywhere, at any time of the year, without a very lightweight hooded breathable rain jacket. It serves as a windbreaker and provides insulation when needed, as well as being a rain jacket. All your clothes should be lightweight layers, so that on the coldest day you will wear almost everything. (But keep one layer dry for the evening.)

I've read about April showers but what should I take in the way of outerwear for the whole month of June: Madrid, CI and then ?

Breathable hooded rain jacket?
Rain pants?
Thin windbreaker?
Lightweight fleece jacket?

I guess the real question is what I can safely leave behind. Am I likely to feel cold? (I live in Miami, Fl, so 60° F is cold for me!)

I just read about some people taking reflective vests (I don't have one. Not sure where to get). Opinions?

Thanks
Always pack for four seasons in Galicia. I've known 10C, and 26C. Rain and hot sun. Layers is the best bet - and waterproofs.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back