• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain gear Norte-Primitivo!

Schatz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte & Primitivo & Finisterre (june-july 2014)
Hola!
I start my walk on 17/6 with flight arriving Bilbao and directly walking to Pobeña via Portugalete.
I've monitored weather reports and it seems that rain may accompany me some or even many times.

We have to do our best to keep our shoes dry, right? ;-)
So my question is:
-since I rather NOT use rain pants, would -gaiters- be a smart solution instead?
-or do I stick to rain-pants old solution? :-(

TNX for your suggestions, Schatz-

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
¡Hola!

¿Me puedes decir qué página es esa que te dice con dos semanas de adelanto que va a llover esos días?.

Hello!.

Can you tell me what page is that it tells you two weeks in advance it will rain these days?.

¡Hola!

¿Me puedes decir qué página es esa que te dice con dos semanas de adelanto que va a llover esos días?.

Hello!.

Can you tell me what page is that it tells you two weeks in advance it will rain these days?.
Hola Angulero,
-yo uso dos sites: tiempo.com y la otra yr.no
- sólo quiero aclarar que no dije q pronostica c dos semanas de antelación, sino q he estado monitoreando el clima y veo el comportamineto del clima ;-) lo cuál me dá la precaución de saber q hay alta posibilidad de lluvia.
Saludos!

PS/ -just want to make clear that it's not a 2 week prognostication but that by monitoring it gives me clues of climate behavior, in this case -most likely facing rains-

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lightweight umbrella is very useful on the Camino del Norte.

Ondo Ibili!

MendiWalker,
-my goal is to keep my rucksack to 6.5 kilos and an umbrella would add grams ;-)
But TNX so much for your suggestion.
/Schatz.

Your welcome, my pleasure. :) Sorry that my suggestion hash´t been of much help anyway.:(

My wife´s rucksack usually weighs 5.5 kilos including a lightweight umbrella by the way.

Ondo Ibili!

MendiWalker,
-but maybe I can learn from you if with your experience on El Camino it would be ok to use gaiters instead of of rain-pants?

I would not walk a Camino in any season w/o rain gear. I prefer rain gear pants and jacket. Others like poncho's. If you choose a poncho, I would recommend gaiters. They will help with muddy days.

There is a good chance you will encounter some rain. This Spring I was very lucky with weather, twenty-three sunny days and six rain on the Norte. Most of those rain days were only partial rain and all were in Galacia.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wore shorts and gaiters on the camino all the time. I wore long johns under the shorts on the one day of snow. With this rig only the knees are exposed. It doesn't matter if the cuffs of shorts get wet.

I prefer to wear a poncho. The raincoat goes on under the poncho when things get torrential and the wind blows too hard to let the poncho do its work.

I carried rain pants and sent them home unused when I got to Santiago. Mine was a November and early December walk. There was rain.

If you wear rain pants over long pants you will get warm. It might be better to wear rain pants with nothing underneath.

If you wear long pants there is no point to wearing gaiters. Gaiters are primarily intended to keep snow and debris such as scree out of boots. Long pants are sufficient to deal with debris (small pebbles etc) found on the camino. They will help keep the uppers of your boots dry during rain but thats not where boots typically get water ingress.

We favour a poncho, with rain pants in a downpour. They seem to weigh less than gaiters and also give protection if the wind does blow the poncho up at all. Shoulder straps can rub wet through a jacket but the poncho covers everything well and keeps the pack dry too.
Make sure that the rainpants will go on without removing your boots and it helps if they are long enough to come down to the instep.

Last edited:
MendiWalker,
-my goal is to keep my rucksack to 6.5 kilos and an umbrella would add grams ;-).
At six to eight ounces, a proper backpacking umbrella isn't much weight. By using an umbrella in combination with the lightweight wind jacket, I saved the weight of my rain jacket and pants and thereby dropped half a kilo. Moreover, I walked in shade while others baked in the sun and required me to bring/carry far less sunscreen (more weight savings).

We have to do our best to keep our shoes dry, right? ;-)
So my question is:
-since I rather NOT use rain pants, would -gaiters- be a smart solution instead?
-or do I stick to rain-pants old solution? :-(
Why are dry shoes important? If your shoes aren't waterproofed, they'll dry out far quicker, you won't sweat in them nearly as much, and your feet will stay cooler. Gaitors and rain pants become optional at that point because you no longer have anything to protect. Proper shoe fit and quality socks are far more effective at preventing blisters than avoidance of moisture.

Frankly, rain pants in high summer are probably overkill too (more sweat running down your leg than rainwater). Gaitors do serve another purpose, namely to keep mud off your pants and reduce the number of washings you might need to do, and they can protect against getting brambles, etc. that might otherwise drop down into your shoe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tried gaters once but wasnt impressed. I have a raincoat, that will be my only raingear.

In case of rain I will wear my sandals and get wet feet, they will dry at some point.A very very experienced walker (Toek) told me: wet feet are not the end of the world! (it is all in the mindset)

I am debating long or 3/4 pants as my main hiking pants (for september). Any thoughts? I will also have shorts for shiny days. Ill prob go for the long ones but tips are welcome and could change my mind!

I wore shorts and gaiters on the camino all the time. I wore long johns under the shorts on the one day of snow. With this rig only the knees are exposed. It doesn't matter if the cuffs of shorts get wet.

I prefer to wear a poncho. The raincoat goes on under the poncho when things get torrential and the wind blows too hard to let the poncho do its work.

I carried rain pants and sent them home unused when I got to Santiago. Mine was a November and early December walk. There was rain.

If you wear rain pants over long pants you will get warm. It might be better to wear rain pants with nothing underneath.

If you wear long pants there is no point to wearing gaiters. Gaiters are primarily intended to keep snow and debris such as scree out of boots. Long pants are sufficient to deal with debris (small pebbles etc) found on the camino. They will help keep the uppers of your boots dry during rain but thats not where boots typically get water ingress.

Hi!
-this was great info, tnx. I'm also traveling in shorts but instead of long johns for warmth, I'll wear tights. Also poncho, not raincoat under but a fleece in case. I thought of gaiters just to try keeping the rain out of my shoes but after a cooler thought I realize that my shoes won't be covered by the gaiters so... what would the point be?
I'm so excited about this trip that my thinking goes 100k/h :) but I'll try to relax to be able to think staright LOL
TNX :)

Tried gaters once but wasnt impressed. I have a raincoat, that will be my only raingear.

In case of rain I will wear my sandals and get wet feet, they will dry at some point.A very very experienced walker (Toek) told me: wet feet are not the end of the world! (it is all in the mindset)

I am debating long or 3/4 pants as my main hiking pants (for september). Any thoughts? I will also have shorts for shiny days. Ill prob go for the long ones but tips are welcome and could change my mind!

TNX Mountainman, I like the part: 'it's all in the mindset' !!!
As for 3-4 pants? Maybe talking to the wrong person ;-) because I'm riding with a pair of shorts, a skirt and 2 tops. UltraLightTraveler <3

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At six to eight ounces, a proper backpacking umbrella isn't much weight. By using an umbrella in combination with the lightweight wind jacket, I saved the weight of my rain jacket and pants and thereby dropped half a kilo. Moreover, I walked in shade while others baked in the sun and required me to bring/carry far less sunscreen (more weight savings).

Why are dry shoes important? If your shoes aren't waterproofed, they'll dry out far quicker, you won't sweat in them nearly as much, and your feet will stay cooler. Gaitors and rain pants become optional at that point because you no longer have anything to protect. Proper shoe fit and quality socks are far more effective at preventing blisters than avoidance of moisture.

Frankly, rain pants in high summer are probably overkill too (more sweat running down your leg than rainwater). Gaitors do serve another purpose, namely to keep mud off your pants and reduce the number of washings you might need to do, and they can protect against getting brambles, etc. that might otherwise drop down into your shoe.

Tnx, that was a good point, I mean gaitors as protection against brambles, which btw I had to look it up in the Thesaurus since Eng isn't my native language.
I'm not traveling w pants, just 1 short to my knees, a skirt and if I'm cold I'll use tights under either I'm wearing. So I'm hoping that the temperature doesn't drop less than 12C in Primitivo-

I would not walk any Camino in any season w/o rain gear. I prefer rain gear pants and jacket. Others like poncho's. If you choose a poncho, I would recommend gaiters. They will help with muddy days.

There is a good chance you will encounter some rain. This Spring I was very lucky with weather, twenty-three sunny days and six rain on the Norte. Most of those rain days were only partial rain and all were in Galacia.

Ultreya,
Joe

-Tnx Joe, I've packed a poncho but I can't see myself wearing rain pants because they're too warm.
I'm hoping to catch the same weather you had!!! Ultreya-

My preference is for long pants with zip-off legs. I don't like getting burrs, etc. in my socks, and the long pants means I don't need gaiters (which I generally don't like). Then again, I know folks who swear by 3/4 pants.

100% agreed on the wet feet. With proper fitting shoes and quality socks, it's no big deal to spend days walking in the rain and never have a worry about blisters.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
P1050716.jpg Terminology we understand in the UK - I think!
Rain jacket - a short item which you put your pack outside. Often hi-tec breathability but still gets hot and sweaty in milder temperatures and when hills are involved.
Poncho / (cape?) - loose item usually going down to the knees which your pack goes underneath. Cheaper models tend to have slits to let your arms through. The cheapest ones, made out of plastic, tear very easily. You usually have to pull it over your head which can be both comical and exasperating in a breeze...
Raincoat - like a poncho but with full sleeves, usually with a full zip down the front. 'Altus poncho' is popular here, but the newer model doesn't seem to be as waterproof as the previous one. Many other makes are available
Raincoat used in accompanying photo was made by Quechua, weights 320g but is several years old and required seam sealing. It is all you need. Can be worn with shorts in most months and in colder times with lightweight quick dry trousers with zip-off bottoms (as here).

I use a Packa for the heavy rain and an umbrella for light rain and sun protection. I also walk in quick dying mesh top trail runners and synthetic (thorlo) socks. Wet feet are not the primary cause of blisters.

I think rain pants and gaiters are sweaty overkill for 3-season hiking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 10656 Terminology we understand in the UK - I think!
Rain jacket - a short item which you put your pack outside. Often hi-tec breathability but still gets hot and sweaty in milder temperatures and when hills are involved.
Poncho / (cape?) - loose item usually going down to the knees which your pack goes underneath. Cheaper models tend to have slits to let your arms through. The cheapest ones, made out of plastic, tear very easily. You usually have to pull it over your head which can be both comical and exasperating in a breeze...
Raincoat - like a poncho but with full sleeves, usually with a full zip down the front. 'Altus poncho' is popular here, but the newer model doesn't seem to be as waterproof as the previous one. Many other makes are available
Raincoat used in accompanying photo was made by Quechua, weights 320g but is several years old and required seam sealing. It is all you need. Can be worn with shorts in most months and in colder times with lightweight quick dry trousers with zip-off bottoms (as here).

-wow, that 'raincoat' (which we would call poncho here) that u're wearing looks very comfortable and suitable for this trip. I'll check out if there's something like it here. Is this pic taken in Primitivo?

[QUOTE="MendiWalker, post: 216797, member:

My wife´s rucksack usually weighs 5.5 kilos including a lightweight umbrella by the way.

Ondo Ibili![/QUOTE]
Hi,
Would you be so kind as to send me your wife's kit list please? I am a small woman and am trying hard to get my pack weight down.
My husband and I are walking our first Camino, arriving in Bilbao on 8 September 2014. We want to start in Irun following del Norte onto Primitivo. Hopefully we will meet up with you somewhere.
Lesley

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your welcome, my pleasure. :) Sorry that my suggestion hash´t been of much help anyway.:(

Ondo Ibili!

Hi again!
Soeone suggested that you give ur wifes packing list! That would be a great help!!! PLS???

-wow, that 'raincoat' (which we would call poncho here) that u're wearing looks very comfortable and suitable for this trip. I'll check out if there's something like it here. Is this pic taken in Primitivo?
the pic was taken on the Norte between Irun and Bilbao - on the Markina-Guernika leg

Personally I prefer to keep my feet dry as long as possible because I find that if my feet get sopping wet I sometimes get blisters. Last year I had one day particular day of all day torrential rain on the way to Fisterra and I was in poncho and shorts with gore tex boots which of course got soaked from water running down my legs. On that day I wished I had rain trousers and jacket as well as the poncho. In almost every other case where there are showers during the day I prefer poncho only. Sorry to ramble on there - the point was that for some people keeping feet dry as long as possible at least is definitely preferred:)

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think when you walk might also make a difference. I walk in the March/April time frame. The weather is usually wetter and the mornings cold. Rain paint are very light weight. They not only keep your pants dry and mud free but block the wind. I find a hat and sunscreen suitable for blocking the sun and protecting against wind burn. You also do not have to carry it in rain or shine conditions. Summer and Fall walking conditions might call for an adjustment in gear.

To keep feet dry in extremely wet conditions, I wear a plastic bag between my socks.

Bottom line, imo, there is no right or wrong way, just personal preference.

Ultreya,
Joe

Bottom line, imo, there is no right or wrong way, just personal preference.
Agreed. Right is what works for the person who has to walk the walk, and wrong is what doesn't work. Therefore, the critical thing (in my mind) is to have tested the equipment well before leaving including, to the extent possible, the conditions involved.

Imo, no need for waterproof pants. I brought small gaiters on this Camino Norte and have never used them, should throw them away. Just have Goretex jacket, trousers dry quickly .I do see more pilgrims with umbrellas this time.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back