Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Rain Gear

Hollitapena

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances starting 6/13/15
Hi,
I've been reading the posts on the best pack covering gear and the Ferrino Treker sounds great. Is it the aluminized and waterproof ripstop nylon one called the Poncho Trekker?

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

David

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Hi, I had never heard if it, when I need a backpack poncho I wear my Altos - but looking at the Ferrino Trekker, it seems that it may be superior to the Altos in a number of ways - cheap too!
That 2000 waterproofing - I always over waterproof any item I buy before I wear it, think it is a good thing to do as you get to do your own quality control!!

aname4me

aname4me
Past OR future Camino
2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, (2021)
Altus Poncho Atmospheric.... not technically a backpack cover, but it is.

The Altus Poncho Atmospheric covers you and your backpack.

The advantage that I found was, when walking in “iffy weather”, you hang the poncho over the backpack and tie the (poncho) arms to the backpack shoulder straps (mine was red and I am sure I looked a Superman at a distance).
When “iffy” turns into real rain you can have the poncho on in 30 seconds.

It keeps you, and the backpack, dry.

The disadvantage of a rain-jacket is... when the rain starts, you have to get it out, and then take your backpack off to put it on, and visa-verse.

Another point to consider is.... all rain gear makes you sweat. Even (expensive) GorTex.
The Altus Poncho Atmospheric is outside the backpack straps.
It can be opened as you walk.
It is loose and allows air movement.

I found the Altus Poncho Atmospheric the compromise with the most benefits.

Pilgrim-S-414

HRperegrino
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2019,2018, 2014 Camino Portuges: 2016
Ferrino Trekker worked for me, and I warmly recommend it. I got mine at SJPDP,
but I am not sure Ferrino brand is available in Spain, based on their distributor list

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
... and the Ferrino Treker sounds great. Is it the aluminized and waterproof ripstop nylon one called the Poncho Trekker?

Do you mean this one http://www.ferrino.it/en/catalog/rainwear/78121-poncho-trekker-ripstop-s-m ? If yes, I used it on my last Camino and it is a dream! Yes, it is a bit on the heavy side, but you really stay dry plus warm. BUT I wouldn't recommend it for a summer Camino as you will heat up / sweat quickly under it due to the reflective inside, but for winter Caminos the best I have found so far. Buen Camino! SY

David

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Good point about the reflective inside! Last night I got my Altus out and had a good look at it, comparing it with close-up photos of the Trekker, and apart from that "aluminised" lining I can't see that there is any difference at all! The hood shape and tightening toggles, chest vents, wrist elastic and velcro and so on - so I will stay with what I have.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads