• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain Gear

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Hi All

I have spent a few days reviewing as many threads as I can on Rain Gear (Jacket & Trousers/Pants versus Poncho).
I haven't yet decided on what route to take. The poncho is certainly the cheapest option, but in the wind would it act like a sail and hamper walking. Certainly it would adequately cover the rucksack and keep 3/4 of the body dry.

I have identified jacket and trousers/pants from Berghaus Packlite that appears to be good but rather expensive, top and bottom coming in at £270.00. Weight of the trousers/pants coming in at 150g and the jacket at 362g, this roughly equates to the weight of a good poncho that I've been looking at.
I guess the advantage of the Berghaus Packlite is that you can use the jacket on its own in chilly mornings and evenings etc.

Having trawled through the reviews on their website they appear to have an excellent write up.
I would be interesting to know if any Pilgrims have bought and used the Berghaus gear.

Really liking the decision making and planning.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there, not exactly sure when you'll be walking, but if in and around summer you should be ok with a poncho… I tried walking with waterproof trousers etc once but just found it burdensome stopping, finding shelter, opening my pack to dig everything out - just seemed far easier to drape the poncho over everything and head on. And don't worry the poncho doesn't act like a sail - but thanks for the image, it made me chuckle (sorry just my active imagination, picturing a pilgrim flying over the landscape ha ha... ;) You're usually at your destination by lunchtime anyway, so even if your legs get wet for a couple of hours it's not the worst thing in the world, you'll be warm soon enough and everything will be dry by the next day… (of course that's just my two cents, I know everyone has their own comfort/tolerance limits!)

Hi there, not exactly sure when you'll be walking, but if in and around summer you should be ok with a poncho… I tried walking with waterproof trousers etc once but just found it burdensome stopping, finding shelter, opening my pack to dig everything out - just seemed far easier to drape the poncho over everything and head on. And don't worry the poncho doesn't act like a sail - but thanks for the image, it made me chuckle (sorry just my active imagination, picturing a pilgrim flying over the landscape ha ha... ;) You're usually at your destination by lunchtime anyway, so even if your legs get wet for a couple of hours it's not the worst thing in the world, you'll be warm soon enough and everything will be dry by the next day… (of course that's just my two cents, I know everyone has their own comfort/tolerance limits!)

Jan D

I'm going Sept/Oct. I never thought of the ease of throwing a poncho on, I guess that's another plus. As the poncho covers the rucksack as well, did you bother dry liners?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have never used dry-liners, but I understand why some people do… Actually it's exactly the same reason I prefer a poncho: once you've started walking your 20+km, you really get into the swing of things (or into a good conversation!), and doesn't seem worth stopping for bit of light rain, which seems to be doing nothing more serious than making your hair frizzy… the problem is that an hour or two of 'light rain' can slowly but surely seep into your backpack, and there's quite as disheartening as unrolling a damp sleeping bag when you finally get to the albergue...

@Waka I find a jacket and rain pants too hot unless the weather is really cold, and a pain to put on and off. It means stopping and taking off your pack each time - intermittent showers are more usual than a solid day of rain. Getting wet from the inside because of sweat is just as much a problem as rain on the outside - and I don't believe any waterproof fabric really breathes.

I currently favour an Altus type poncho. It's not perfect, far from it, but the best choice so far. I wish they had pit zips and two way zips at the front like a Packa (A bit short and expensive).

Umbrellas are great.

image.jpg image.jpg

We gave up the rain jackets and purchased ponchos along the way. Mine was an Altus (the lower priced one). Think I paid 45 Euros in Santa Domingo. My husband purchased one is Astorga (not an Altus) and only paid 29 Euros. His had lots of zippered pockets which came in handy. IMO..this was the best purchase we made on the Camino. We and our packs never got wet again. Make sure you get a good one, not one of those cheapies with flaps for arms. Ours were like long rain jackets with room for your pack inside.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My first Camino I carried no rain gear and no waterproof pack cover, but was fortunate and had zero rain days. Bright and sunny everyday.
Second Camino I carried a Columbia rain jacket (worked great and was breathable) and a good waterproof cover for my pack and also when it looked like it may rain put all my gear in the pack inside of a waterproof bag. Kind of double protection for the gear in the pack, which is really more important than keeping yourself dry. You dry off pretty quickly after the rain, but if all the gear in the pack gets wet, it really sucks and takes forever to dry.
Anyway, on my second Camino only had 1-1/2 rain days while walking. Otherwise bright and sunny.

@Waka I find a jacket and rain pants too hot unless the weather is really cold, and a pain to put on and off. It means stopping and taking off your pack each time - intermittent showers are more usual than a solid day of rain. Getting wet from the inside because of sweat is just as much a problem as rain on the outside - and I don't believe any waterproof fabric really breathes.

I currently favour an Altus type poncho. It's not perfect, far from it, but the best choice so far. I wish they had pit zips and two way zips at the front like a Packa (A bit short and expensive).

Umbrellas are great.

View attachment 18124 View attachment 18125

Kanga

Really love the colour. The more I read the more I'm leaning towards the Poncho, I have identified a Trekmate Typhoon here in the UK which I think will fit the bill and at only £25.00. Might just order it and give it a whirl.

We gave up the rain jackets and purchased ponchos along the way. Mine was an Altus (the lower priced one). Think I paid 45 Euros in Santa Domingo. My husband purchased one is Astorga (not an Altus) and only paid 29 Euros. His had lots of zippered pockets which came in handy. IMO..this was the best purchase we made on the Camino. We and our packs never got wet again. Make sure you get a good one, not one of those cheapies with flaps for arms. Ours were like long rain jackets with room for your pack inside.

I think what draws people towards the poncho is the ease of slipping on and the fact that it's covering the pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first Camino I carried no rain gear and no waterproof pack cover, but was fortunate and had zero rain days. Bright and sunny everyday.
Second Camino I carried a Columbia rain jacket (worked great and was breathable) and a good waterproof cover for my pack and also when it looked like it may rain put all my gear in the pack inside of a waterproof bag. Kind of double protection for the gear in the pack, which is really more important than keeping yourself dry. You dry off pretty quickly after the rain, but if all the gear in the pack gets wet, it really sucks and takes forever to dry.
Anyway, on my second Camino only had 1-1/2 rain days while walking. Otherwise bright and sunny.

Mark

Wouldn't it be nice to have a rain free Camino, knowing my luck this won't happen. You were very brave to go with no rain gear, but as you say it worked out fine. Myself I tend to try and cover all eventualities.

Hi Waka, we walked Sept/Oct 2014 and only had a week of rain near the end. I carried an old set of golf rain gear and my wife bought Frog Togs, an inexpensive and very lightweight and functional set of pant and top which covered her pack. Buen Camino, Pete

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Mark

Wouldn't it be nice to have a rain free Camino, knowing my luck this won't happen. You were very brave to go with no rain gear, but as you say it worked out fine. Myself I tend to try and cover all eventualities.
Yeah, no need to put too much effort or thought into it. If you found a good poncho, believe me you will be fine with it. The CF is far from being a survival hike. Not that big a deal if you forget to bring something.

Hi Waka, we walked Sept/Oct 2014 and only had a week of rain near the end. I carried an old set of golf rain gear and my wife bought Frog Togs, an inexpensive and very lightweight and functional set of pant and top which covered her pack. Buen Camino, Pete

Thank Pete.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mark

I guess you're right I do tend to over think things a little, but having said that this is the biggest thing I've ever done, so don't want to be caught out. I should really just go with the flow.

Wolfdog, is that a white shepherd? I have one who looks like that (a shepherd/husky mix who looks like a shepherd), only mine has a pink nose. :)

Mark

I guess you're right I do tend to over think things a little, but having said that this is the biggest thing I've ever done, so don't want to be caught out. I should really just go with the flow.
Hi Waka, I'm going in Sept/Oct too and I'm also struggling with the rain gear question. After this thread, I guess I'll skip the pants and pack cover and use a poncho, but won't we still need a jacket as an outer layer, especially in late October?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Waka, I'm going in Sept/Oct too and I'm also struggling with the rain gear question. After this thread, I guess I'll skip the pants and pack cover and use a poncho, but won't we still need a jacket as an outer layer, especially in late October?

Hi Singingheart

I thought I'd just take a lightweight fleece which could deal with those chilly mornings and evenings.
I've just ordered my poncho, should be here in a couple of days, before I venture out I'll parade it around the house.

I'm starting the camino on Sunday 6th Sept, so I might see you on the journey.

Buen Camino.

I started late October 2012. I wore a 100 weight fleece every morning and sometimes all day. A scarf was draped over my shoulders too. Wool mitts made a difference too. I got mild hypothermia crossing the Meseta ... I should have put on my rain coat to cut the wind.

Kanga

Really love the colour. The more I read the more I'm leaning towards the Poncho, I have identified a Trekmate Typhoon here in the UK which I think will fit the bill and at only £25.00. Might just order it and give it a whirl.

Hi Waka,

I have and use the Trekmates poncho, used it on both my Caminos and will use it on the upcoming one as well! It can get a little sweaty inside at times but I do consider it quite waterproof from the outside! Its a nice length, plenty of room for backpack, can be buttoned between the legs. Sleeves are a little on the short side. Weight around 350-400g
Buen Camino
Aidan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Waka,

I have and use the Trekmates poncho, used it on both my Caminos and will use it on the upcoming one as well! It can get a little sweaty inside at times but I do consider it quite waterproof from the outside! Its a nice length, plenty of room for backpack, can be buttoned between the legs. Sleeves are a little on the short side. Weight around 350-400g
Buen Camino
Aidan

Hi Aidan

I'm not sure there is a poncho out there that doesn't make you little sweaty, as long as I can keep the pack dry and me relatively dry I'll be happy.

Buen Camino

Hi All

I have spent a few days reviewing as many threads as I can on Rain Gear (Jacket & Trousers/Pants versus Poncho).
I haven't yet decided on what route to take. The poncho is certainly the cheapest option, but in the wind would it act like a sail and hamper walking. Certainly it would adequately cover the rucksack and keep 3/4 of the body dry.

I have identified jacket and trousers/pants from Berghaus Packlite that appears to be good but rather expensive, top and bottom coming in at £270.00. Weight of the trousers/pants coming in at 150g and the jacket at 362g, this roughly equates to the weight of a good poncho that I've been looking at.
I guess the advantage of the Berghaus Packlite is that you can use the jacket on its own in chilly mornings and evenings etc.

Having trawled through the reviews on their website they appear to have an excellent write up.
I would be interesting to know if any Pilgrims have bought and used the Berghaus gear.

Hi Waka,
I walked the Camino from SJPdP starting in march 19th. The first week was almost all rain and wind not counting the snow on the ground. I loved having my GoreTex pants and shell jacket. Yet, when folded they took very little space and weighed little. Some weeks I never used them, which was ok since it meant sunshine. Now that I've completed my Camino and had the chance to compare my gear with other peregrino friends', I would still have my rain gear in my backpack. It's little weight difference (compared to the poncho) is totally acceptable for me.
Besides, having dry pants means no rain going down and seeping into your shoes/boots.
Well, here's my experience. I hope it brings you another point of view and ultimately it's you who decide. Some peregrinos swear by the poncho and that's OK too.
Buen Camino Waka
CSi

Hi Waka,
I walked the Camino from SJPdP starting in march 19th. The first week was almost all rain and wind not counting the snow on the ground. I loved having my GoreTex pants and shell jacket. Yet, when folded they took very little space and weighed little. Some weeks I never used them, which was ok since it meant sunshine. Now that I've completed my Camino and had the chance to compare my gear with other peregrino friends', I would still have my rain gear in my backpack. It's little weight difference (compared to the poncho) is totally acceptable for me.
Besides, having dry pants means no rain going down and seeping into your shoes/boots.
Well, here's my experience. I hope it brings you another point of view and ultimately it's you who decide. Some peregrinos swear by the poncho and that's OK too.
Buen Camino Waka
CSi

Hi CSi

Thanks for the input. As I'm not going until Sept/Oct I've got plenty of time to try out the poncho, (we're bound to get a wet summer this year) if it's not to my liking then I can revert to jacket and pants
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Top combo for varying weather: Merino inner, fleece over, windproof pertex top, merino buff around neck if chilly and if it rains you throw the poncho over the lot and zip up. No stopping and starting, and you will be dressed for any temperature or weather type.

Top combo for varying weather: Merino inner, fleece over, windproof pertex top, merino buff around neck if chilly and if it rains you throw the poncho over the lot and zip up. No stopping and starting, and you will be dressed for any temperature or weather type.

Thank you nidarosa, you make it all sound so simple, but you're right it is.

I have been working on an "optimal" solution over my three Caminos: 2013, 2014, 2015. During these three pilgrimages I have tried trekking raincoats with rucksack "humps," gaiters, rain parkas combined with pack covers, and ponchos. The only combination I have not, nor will I even consider using, is a full pants and parka rain suit. Here is my considered opinion on the merits of each approach:

Trekking raincoats:

They work marvelously, especially in the "hip" seasons (April - May) and (October - November) they provide needed warmth and near total protection from the rain or snow. They are also highly effective at blocking wind. However, they DO cause excess perspiration that condenses INSIDE the raincoat. This means that regardless of the built in ventilation, when you stop and take it off, both you and your rucksack WILL be wet or soaked through with sweat instead of rain or snow. My recommendation if you like this style is to use it in conjunction with a pack cover or pack liner to keep your stuff dry (I prefer the cover).

Gaiters:

Sorry, but I am not convinced this is value for money spent or weigh carried. I tried these on my first Camino. MY finding is that wearing synthetic, fast drying, zip-off trousers, was a superior solution with no weight penalty. When sodden from rain or snow, the trousers dried within 30 minutes while walking. Once coated in mud, I just unzipped the lower portion and hand-washed them, rinsing the excess mud off in a shower. This left me able to wear the top portion as shorts. Simply wash, rinse, and ring them out very well, twisting one way then the other, hang to dry, and they should be at least damp but usable in less than one hour. I personally recommend not spending the time or money gaiters command. They make the most sense if walking through knee-deep snow during the winter. Rather few pilgrims walk the Camino during these conditions.

Rain Parkas with Pack Covers:

This combination is fine for light, sporadic showers in later May or October. However, in a heavy rain, rain will work between the outside back of the parka and into your pack through the uncovered back panel and around the elastic edges of the pack cover. Water does have a unique property to wick and find it's own way in. If you are going this route I recommend two things: (1) Get a parka with arm-pit zippers for optimum ventilation, and (2) use a bin bag or similar waterproof liner for your pack. The rain WILL get in and soak the pack material.

Ponchos:

I have come to the personal conclusion that a "modified" hiking poncho, one with a "hump" for a rucksack is the way to go, at least for me.

First, I wholeheartedly recommend siliconized nylon (or sil-nylon) as a very good, lightweight material.

Second, I have, and recommend "sealing" the snaps so they do not easily come free in wind or while moving. I first used duck tape, but that tore with hard movement. Then I used 3M reflective tape, cut into 1" (3 cm) wide strips to place over the snap like a "U." This worked, however the snaps could still become "unsnapped." The tape held the poncho closed.

My next iteration is going to be to super glue the snaps closed, then apply reflective "dots" I obtained in a Decathlon in Belgium on all 16 snap surfaces. There are 4 snaps on each side of my Sea-to-Summit Sil-Nylon poncho. Each snap has 2 sides. So that is 8 dots to each side.

Third, The reason I prefer a poncho, with a pack cover and a ball cap, is that it provides maximum rain protection together with maximum ventilation. The entire issue of securing the snaps closed is because, walking a Camino, a pilgrim usually never needs to use the poncho for anything other than rain protection. Yes, hypothetically, one might need or desire to open the poncho to use as a ground-cloth under a tent, expedient awning, or even a "blanket" in an albergue. However, in my experience, these are extremely rare occurrences. I simply assessed my needs and Camino-style and adapted my gear choices accordingly.

Additional Important Point That Runs Across Comments:

Regardless of the rain gear solution you choose, do wear a ball cap or visor, as discussed above, to improve forward and lateral vision while walking. Cinched-down hoods, on ANY rain gear causes tunnel vision, I almost fell off Alto de Perdon at the steep drop of section just before the sculptures, west of Pamplona, in 2013 because of this. They have since installed a barrier cable to prevent the sort of accident I nearly had. I use a brightly colored, synthetic material, mesh ventilated cap from Outdoors Research (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/hats/swift-cap-4.html). However, I have seen comparable caps for a fraction of the cost at Decathlon.

I sincerely hope this helps.

tried to buy the Altus poncho yesterday, but I live in the US. I'll just have to pick it up in Spain. Thanks for the great idea. It looks wonderful. I've used the pack cover and I found it easy, but my rain jacket practically sweat me to death.

I have been working on an "optimal" solution over my three Caminos: 2013, 2014, 2015. During these three pilgrimages I have tried trekking raincoats with rucksack "humps," gaiters, rain parkas combined with pack covers, and ponchos. The only combination I have not, nor will I even consider using, is a full pants and parka rain suit. Here is my considered opinion on the merits of each approach:

Trekking raincoats:

They work marvelously, especially in the "hip" seasons (April - May) and (October - November) they provide needed warmth and near total protection from the rain or snow. They are also highly effective at blocking wind. However, they DO cause excess perspiration that condenses INSIDE the raincoat. This means that regardless of the built in ventilation, when you stop and take it off, both you and your rucksack WILL be wet or soaked through with sweat instead of rain or snow. My recommendation if you like this style is to use it in conjunction with a pack cover or pack liner to keep your stuff dry (I prefer the cover).

Gaiters:

Sorry, but I am not convinced this is value for money spent or weigh carried. I tried these on my first Camino. MY finding is that wearing synthetic, fast drying, zip-off trousers, was a superior solution with no weight penalty. When sodden from rain or snow, the trousers dried within 30 minutes while walking. Once coated in mud, I just unzipped the lower portion and hand-washed them, rinsing the excess mud off in a shower. This left me able to wear the top portion as shorts. Simply wash, rinse, and ring them out very well, twisting one way then the other, hang to dry, and they should be at least damp but usable in less than one hour. I personally recommend not spending the time or money gaiters command. They make the most sense if walking through knee-deep snow during the winter. Rather few pilgrims walk the Camino during these conditions.

This combination is fine for light, sporadic showers in later May or October. However, in a heavy rain, rain will work between the outside back of the parka and into your pack through the uncovered back panel and around the elastic edges of the pack cover. Water does have a unique property to wick and find it's own way in. If you are going this route I recommend two things: (1) Get a parka with arm-pit zippers for optimum ventilation, and (2) use a bin bag or similar waterproof liner for your pack. The rain WILL get in and soak the pack material.

Ponchos:

I have come to the personal conclusion that a "modified" hiking poncho, one with a "hump" for a rucksack is the way to go, at least for me.

First, I wholeheartedly recommend siliconized nylon (or sil-nylon) as a very good, lightweight material.

Second, I have, and recommend "sealing" the snaps so they do not easily come free in wind or while moving. I first used duck tape, but that tore with hard movement. Then I used 3M reflective tape, cut into 1" (3 cm) wide strips to place over the snap like a "U." This worked, however the snaps could still become "unsnapped." The tape held the poncho closed.

My next iteration is going to be to super glue the snaps closed, then apply reflective "dots" I obtained in a Decathlon in Belgium on all 16 snap surfaces. There are 4 snaps on each side of my Sea-to-Summit Sil-Nylon poncho. Each snap has 2 sides. So that is 8 dots to each side.

Third, The reason I prefer a poncho, with a pack cover and a ball cap, is that it provides maximum rain protection together with maximum ventilation. The entire issue of securing the snaps closed is because, walking a Camino, a pilgrim usually never needs to use the poncho for anything other than rain protection. Yes, hypothetically, one might need or desire to open the poncho to use as a ground-cloth under a tent, expedient awning, or even a "blanket" in an albergue. However, in my experience, these are extremely rare occurrences. I simply assessed my needs and Camino-style and adapted my gear choices accordingly.

Regardless of the rain gear solution you choose, do wear a ball cap or visor, as discussed above, to improve forward and lateral vision while walking. Cinched-down hoods, on ANY rain gear causes tunnel vision, I almost fell off Alto de Perdon at the steep drop of section just before the sculptures, west of Pamplona, in 2013 because of this. They have since installed a barrier cable to prevent the sort of accident I nearly had. I use a brightly colored, synthetic material, mesh ventilated cap from Outdoors Research (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/hats/swift-cap-4.html). However, I have seen comparable caps for a fraction of the cost at Decathlon.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, it's really good you've taken the time. The good thing about asking questions from pilgrims that have done it all before, I can hopefully miss the pitfalls others have experienced. I'm very good at taking advice and you have provided me with some useful tips.
Gaiters I hadn't even considered and won't.
Ball cap I already wear under a rain hood and that's already on the list. As I mentioned I have ordered the poncho, so I'll see how I get on with it. My pack has a rain cover attached so covered there.

I'm really starting to feel positive.

Buen Camino

Hi.

I used a windstopper and waterproof breathable light jacket and a rucksack cover.

And I put all my clothes in different sized zip-bags; saved from wet and bugs, and pretty tidy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like a poncho above other options, but it's my option!
In another thread I uploaded a picture of several types of poncho's.
Many mention the Altus / Ferrino type as The typical camino poncho, the arms however are very fast wet inside due to condensation.
So I opt for a (more expensive) one like a poncho from Wafo or Vaude!

I remember that one the first day of my first camino I met a guy and we talked about rain on the camino. I said I wanted a (or mor) rainy days. No, you don't, he answered. And he was the veteran!

Well, I walked a bit, and I still think that a rainy day or two (or..) should be part of my camino! I like them being part of my experience.

Wolfdog, is that a white shepherd? I have one who looks like that (a shepherd/husky mix who looks like a shepherd), only mine has a pink nose. :)
This is Milo, the vet tells us he's husky/wolf mix. His personality is completely different than any huskies we've had the last twenty years, very calm! :cool:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I now carry rain pants, short rain/wind jacket and poncho (Altus). This year will add an umbrella since I wear glasses. Rain pants recommended by somone on the forum, at an excellent price, from Mac in a Sac. Altus in great because it fits over the backpack but makes you sweaty and therefor cold. I wear merino longjohns under the rain pants. In May 2013 it rained all day, day after, from morning to night to morning, so I left the albergue fully dressed in my rain gear. Breathable rain wind/jacket is very convinient, works very well for little drizzles on its own. I now carry all this stuff with me.

When I was in the army, we only used ponchos for stationary duty like Guard duty. If we were going to walk we wore rain jacket and rain pants and used our ponchos to wrap our weapons . We used rain suits as we needed to stay dry since we were not going to spend the night in a warm Albergue under a roof. Never heard anyone say a good word about ponchos on the Camino after two or three days of rain.

After reading posts and talking to outdoor biologists that do a lot of traveling, we opted for Frogg Toggs. Super light, breathable, and I lucked out when I went to check them out at our local sporting goods store, they were on sale -- jacket and pants for $20. We decided we wanted something we could wear out and about without our packs. Hope it works!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All this is making me crazy! What to do? Everyone has a different experience! My concern is that I'm taking a long time to walk (I'm 73)) and I imagine that the weather at the beginning of Sept when I start will be different from that at the end of Oct when I finish. Maybe I'll take a fleece jacket, an optional base longsleeve underlayer, a short sleeved lightweight t-shirt, a longsleeve buttondown shirt for sun protection, an altus-type poncho for rain, and then purchase any additional clothing I might need on ythe way, if I need it. Any comments please?

All this is making me crazy! What to do? Everyone has a different experience! My concern is that I'm taking a long time to walk (I'm 73)) and I imagine that the weather at the beginning of Sept when I start will be different from that at the end of Oct when I finish. Maybe I'll take a fleece jacket, an optional base longsleeve underlayer, a short sleeved lightweight t-shirt, a longsleeve buttondown shirt for sun protection, an altus-type poncho for rain, and then purchase any additional clothing I might need on ythe way, if I need it. Any comments please?

You're right, there's no straight answer, I guess regarding poncho's you either love them or you don't, thats why I've bought one to try, if I can't get on with it before the Camino then I've still got time to revert to jacket, pants and rucksack liners.
All the rest of my gear is pretty well decided on and comes to a total of 6.8kg.
I think a fleece jacket and long sleeved base layer is certain a good idea for those cold mornings.
As I'm only taking a silk sleeping bag liner, I've opted for some very thin lightweight thermals to sleep in should it get chilly during the night, these could also be worn during the day if the need arises.

Which rain gear? It depends on how warm/sweaty your body gets and whether wetness bothers you or not. Having walked through days and days of continuous rain on two Caminos, here is the system i have been successful with:

1. Lightweight Merino wool base layer; briefs, socks and tshirts (ls if you prefer) and gloves (for poles) so that you feel warmer even when wet.

2. Rain pant is a must for continuous rain if you want to keep your leg warmer and prevents water from entering into the boots/shoes. Make sure the pants are breathable and have ankle zippers to put it on/off easily (e.g montbell rain trekker).

3. A lightweight technical jacket is the most versatile piece one can have; a cold weather jacket (insulation), a windbreaker, a light rain jacket and a town jacket (e.g Marmot essence)

4. Poncho can cover your pack under light rain, and pulled over your whole body during sustained heavy rain. The poncho is made of the most "non breathable" material ever invented by man. It "breathes" by VENTING. With those traditional (sleeves and zippers) poncho jacket you will overheat in no time. That is why some of us prefer "sleeveless" ponchos (see photo, basically a tarp with a hood) that are completely open. They are wide enough to cover your hands and poles as well. (e.g sea to submit Ultra-sil nano poncho)

5. One insulating layer is optional if you tend to get colder. Make sure it is light (e.g patagonia nano puff or similar)

Attachments

• slponcho.jpg
    slponcho.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
..... Never heard anyone say a good word about ponchos on the Camino after two or three days of rain.
Well, you have not been talking to the right people ... I have been very happy with my poncho under sustained rain. Are you sure it is the poncho they didn't like and not the rain?

I'm with you Rajy62. FWIW, I was a dedicated rainjacket and pack cover person. But in SJPP I got an Altus poncho (at the Boutique du Pelerins they had a lot of choice..) and mailed the rainjacket and packcover home. Saved a lot of weight and space that way. As I walk in a skirt no need for pants or gaiters. We had some freezing rain days and and 10 days of pretty unrelenting foul weather. The Altus and a fleece together were quite comfortable (March).

Last edited:
I've carried a poncho plus rain jacket on my previous 4 caminos and have not needed the poncho. So I'm ditching the poncho for next week. A good water proof jacket and rain cover for your pack should suffice. Dry bags for your clothes help also.
If the weather is brutal, all you need to do is buy a poncho in a city.

I've carried a poncho plus rain jacket on my previous 4 caminos and have not needed the poncho. So I'm ditching the poncho for next week. A good water proof jacket and rain cover for your pack should suffice. Dry bags for your clothes help also.
If the weather is brutal, all you need to do is buy a poncho in a city.

What you need rain kit for,we Irish are already waterproof :)

Singingheart, My husband and I walked last September/Oct. We pretty much took what you have and it was sufficient, with the exception of one more shortsleeve T to wear at the end of the day while you are doing laundry. It will be quite warm in September, but as you get closer to Santiago in Ocotber, it will be cooler and wet most likely. Layering is the word. Make sure your fleece is very lightweight and when you put that longsleeve undrerlayer on in the morning, put it on over your shortsleeve T, that way you can just take it off without undressing as the day gets warmer.

Singingheart, My husband and I walked last September/Oct. We pretty much took what you have and it was sufficient, with the exception of one more shortsleeve T to wear at the end of the day while you are doing laundry. It will be quite warm in September, but as you get closer to Santiago in Ocotber, it will be cooler and wet most likely. Layering is the word. Make sure your fleece is very lightweight and when you put that longsleeve undrerlayer on in the morning, put it on over your shortsleeve T, that way you can just take it off without undressing as the day gets warmer.
Thank you so much, Petitewalker! I've been wanting to hear from someone who walked in most of Sept. and Oct. You make me feel more confident in the way I've been leaning. The idea of putting a long sleeve under layer on over a shirtsleeve T makes a lot of sense. I tend to get warm pretty quickly. Did you wear convertible pants and if so, did you often wear them as shorts? Thanks again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm of the poncho persuasion, however next time I'm taking rain pants that are long enough to cover the tops of my boots as well. Rain ran right down my pants legs and into my boots until I bought some cheap rain pants that didn't hold up. I promised myself that next time I'd have my Marmot pants with me.

Trekking raincoats:

Gaiters:

Ponchos:

To add something to this dialog, I believe that getting wet is actually part of the "pilgrimage process." Given the laws of biology and physics, as well as the properties of waterproof materials, there is no logical way to walk the Camino and remain dry at all times. Face it...you WILL get wet. It will either be from precipitation directly (rain or snow) or from respiration / sweat.

Having had winter survival training and personally having dealt with near hypothermia on my first (April - May) Camino I will state my simple "rule of thumb" regarding getting wet.

You will get wet. I believe it goes along with being a Pilgrim. Embrace it as part of the experience. But manage it so it does not get the better of you, make you ill, or adversely affect the overall experience.

Being wet, but warm, is not necessarily a bad thing. IMHO only our feet need special attention to avoid abrasion if you feet get soaked through. That is why so many of us wear an inner, wicking synthetic of silk sock, combined with a thick, cushiony merino wool sock (e.g. Smartwool). Not to be flip about this, but we were ALL born warm and wet, and life generally proceeded from there.

Being wet, but cold, is entirely another matter. If you are wet and cannot maintain your extremity or core temperature, hypothermia sets in. It can happen in virtually any month of the year, on nearly every Camino route, especially if you are hiking at an altitude where it is colder, wetter, and windier than at lower elevations. That is why many of us prefer synthetic materials that insulate even when wet, dry fast, and are lightweight. Natural wool meets both of the first characteristics. I am uncertain about the third. In the end, choice of fabric for your clothing is highly personal. Go with whatever makes you the most comfortable and confident.

Simply put: "Wet and warm is good! Wet and cold is bad!" Wet, cold and windy is worst of all...unless you happen to take a dive into an icy mountain body of water.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
t2andreo, that's a good observation. No matter what the weather, you will get wet, or at least damp.

I live in the Lake District, therefore I know wet weather, otherwise we wouldn't have any lakes.
As long as you are comfortable when you're wet you're winning. As long as the clothes you're going
to change into at the end of the day are dry, you're also winning.

After many years of walking and five years of sailing I can say that nothing beats Gortex, preferably
3-layer pro. It works. It keeps the rain out and condensation to an acceptable level. Couple this with
a merino wool base layer and you can face any weather.

For my rucksack I gave up on rain covers and went for a liner, coupled with Exped waterproof bags for
my sleeping bag, spare clothes and camera / guide book / credential / prayer book. I used zip log bags
for non essential stuff that would sit inside the liner.

My non waterproof cross country runners got wet through if it rained, but my merino wool socks kept
me comfortable. The runners dried out overnight.

My thoughts were that it was pointless trying to fight the weather and concentrate on being comfortable
with being wet

t2andreo, that's a good observation. No matter what the weather, you will get wet, or at least damp.

I live in the Lake District, therefore I know wet weather, otherwise we wouldn't have any lakes.
As long as you are comfortable when you're wet you're winning. As long as the clothes you're going
to change into at the end of the day are dry, you're also winning.

After many years of walking and five years of sailing I can say that nothing beats Gortex, preferably
3-layer pro. It works. It keeps the rain out and condensation to an acceptable level. Couple this with
a merino wool base layer and you can face any weather.

For my rucksack I gave up on rain covers and went for a liner, coupled with Exped waterproof bags for
my sleeping bag, spare clothes and camera / guide book / credential / prayer book. I used zip log bags
for non essential stuff that would sit inside the liner.

My non waterproof cross country runners got wet through if it rained, but my merino wool socks kept
me comfortable. The runners dried out overnight.

My thoughts were that it was pointless trying to fight the weather and concentrate on being comfortable
with being wet
So is the pack liner something as simple as a plastic trash bag that pulls together at the top? Thanks, all this info and experience is so helpful for those of us who are novices.

I completely agree that once you are wet, because you are unprepared, it is best to just let it go, not fight it, and let it happen. It's the mental fight against it that makes it a pain. This being said, be smart about it. I got rained on, all day, on my very first day of my first Camino and was sooooo ill for the next 4 days. Not fun for me, nor my dormmates. I just choose to carry the extra pound to never get wet again, and never get ill again. The truth is, from May to October on CF you may not get a drop of rain over the 6 weeks of walking, but you very well may be walking in fields of mud, day after day, in the rain, and you will welcome the proper gear.

Anyone who says leave the stuff home should preface their response with "I have been blessed, I have never had a day of rain, so I don't know what it feels like, let alone 3-4-5 days so please take my advice with a grain of salt".

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So is the pack liner something as simple as a plastic trash bag that pulls together at the top? Thanks, all this info and experience is so helpful for those of us who are novices.
That's what I used. One of the good, heavier duty ones. I think it was a 20 gallon size. I carried two of them rolled up in an outer pack pocket. They weigh nothing and take up no room. You don't need to buy expensive waterproof bags. Spend that money on Rioja wine. ;) If I thought it might rain, I took everything out of my pack, lined the inside of the pack with the trash bag, put everything back inside and cinched up the bag. Then since I had a spare one I slid that over the top of the other one. My stuff stayed bone-dry.
Like I have said on here before, you and the clothes you are wearing will dry off pretty quick. The outside of the pack dries off pretty quick. Getting all your gear inside the pack soaked will rate very high on the suck factor. I know. I've had it happen. Ain't no fun.

I completely agree that once you are wet, because you are unprepared, it is best to just let it go, not fight it, and let it happen. It's the mental fight against it that makes it a pain. This being said, be smart about it. I got rained on, all day, on my very first day of my first Camino and was sooooo ill for the next 4 days. Not fun for me, nor my dormmates. I just choose to carry the extra pound to never get wet again, and never get ill again. The truth is, from May to October on CF you may not get a drop of rain over the 6 weeks of walking, but you very well may be walking in fields of mud, day after day, in the rain, and you will welcome the proper gear.

Anyone who says leave the stuff home should preface their response with "I have been blessed, I have never had a day of rain, so I don't know what it feels like, let alone 3-4-5 days so please take my advice with a grain of salt".

Hi.

It is supposed that everybody here is adult. I don't think Waka is going to take an advice and follow it without a question. We just give him our opinion based in our own experience that, obviously, is different from yours. Some people need to be safe from rain even if they are walking; others don't. I'm a runner and I use to run through rain and cold wind with shorts and a windjacket. Others need to wear fleece, gloves, hat and leggins.

No one can tell Waka what to do, he knows how does he feel and how does his body respond when is soaked through.

Anyway, as far as I know, cold and flu are infections. Having them depends on nutrition and immune system.

Hi.

It is supposed that everybody here is adult. I don't think Waka is going to take an advice and follow it without a question. We just give him our opinion based in our own experience that, obviously, is different from yours. Some people need to be safe from rain even if they are walking; others don't. I'm a runner and I use to run through rain and cold wind with shorts and a windjacket. Others need to wear fleece, gloves, hat and leggins.

No one can tell Waka what to do, he knows how does he feel and how does his body respond when is soaked through.

Anyway, as far as I know, cold and flu are infections. Having them depends on nutrition and immune system.

Thanks Pabloke,

The idea of asking questions when you're a novice on the camino is to collate all the responses from the veterans/experts, and try to come to the right decision that suits the individual.
I do enjoy reading everyones responses and seeing what best suits my situation, I may in some circumstances make the wrong judgement and only find this out when I'm on the journey, in that case I'll only have myself to blame. Such fun.

Hi All

I have Berghaus Paclite rain gear that I used on the Frances last October and the Portuguese Camino this April. The quality is excellent and although I didn't need it much last year, I arrived dry and in good shape after hours in a steady rain. My pack has an integrated cover and it stayed dry too with the exception of the straps and waist belt. I was happy to be able to use the jacket as an extra layer around town too. It was around ten degrees when I used it and I didn't have overheating or condensation issues.
However in April it was quite a bit warmer and more a case of on and off showers which required a lot of stops to put it on and take it off again. I soon began to see the advantages of the poncho, especially the Ferrino model which could be draped over the pack in between showers. The Paclite gear was very warm and I think I will consider a poncho for future warm weather walking. If you do decide to go for the Paclite have a look at the UK online suppliers, I paid a lot less last year for my (women's) jacket and trousers. Buen Camino!

I have Berghaus Paclite rain gear that I used on the Frances last October and the Portuguese Camino this April. The quality is excellent and although I didn't need it much last year, I arrived dry and in good shape after hours in a steady rain. My pack has an integrated cover and it stayed dry too with the exception of the straps and waist belt. I was happy to be able to use the jacket as an extra layer around town too. It was around ten degrees when I used it and I didn't have overheating or condensation issues.
However in April it was quite a bit warmer and more a case of on and off showers which required a lot of stops to put it on and take it off again. I soon began to see the advantages of the poncho, especially the Ferrino model which could be draped over the pack in between showers. The Paclite gear was very warm and I think I will consider a poncho for future warm weather walking. If you do decide to go for the Paclite have a look at the UK online suppliers, I paid a lot less last year for my (women's) jacket and trousers. Buen Camino!

Jill
I did look at the paclite and my local store has them on at £270.00, not a bad price when you consider what you are getting. I decided to go for the poncho, actually it arrived yesterday, it's a trekmate, tried it no and I have to say I was impressed. There is a zip on the back that opens it up if you want to carry a rucksack with it (which we all do), but I point this out because it can be used for general hiking without the rucksack.
The only down side I see in it is the length of the sleeves, they come a third of the way up my forearm, no big deal.
I'm really hoping not to use it, I keep telling myself the weather will be perfect.

I'm glad you've made a decision and I'm sure it will be more than adequate. It's easy to get hung up on the finer points of gear selection --- the main thing to remember is not to take too much stuff! It's easy to pick up additional items along the way if you need them and you'll soon develop a system of what works for you. Enjoy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I haven't replied so far because my only experiences of the Camino francés have been mid-July to mid-August, normally the hottest and driest months.
I can give you though details of what I wore through all kinds of weather, from 35 deg C to snow in minus temperatures.
Top: technical camisole, technical short-sleeve T-shirt, merino long-sleeve top, lightweight fleece, windproof/shower proof lightweight jacket and thrown over the lot when it rained a lot, a poncho.
Bottom: merino leggings, macabi skirt (could be replaced by trekking trousers of course).
A sun hat and a buff.
All these layers worked perfectly. The only thing I added was a cheap pair of wooly gloves bought in a market as it was REALLY cold. Ideally in the winter months I would have preferred to have a thicker jacket and I meant to buy one locally but of course... there weren't any.
This list was not for the Camino in Spain but for a long pilgrimage in remote countries. It worked for me :)
As others have said before, if you walk in torrential rain for hours, you WILL get wet, whatever you wear. if the weather's warm, it's no problem. If it's cold, however, you MUST make sure your body and head remain warm.
Also your spare clothes and sleeping bag must stay dry. I packed them in dry sacks as well as having the poncho to cover the backpack.
I hope this helps?
Buen camino:)

Thanks domigee, very useful information.
I like the idea of using dry sacks even though the rucksack is covered by its own cover and the poncho, as we all know rain has a habit of getting to places we think are protected.

Hi Waka, for me (others may differ of course) taking a poncho means you don't need to take a backpack rainproof cover as well. Also I was ultra-careful not to get my sleeping bag wet as it was made of down and I was camping. Same with the spare clothes, very difficult to dry in a tent. I think if you're doing the Camino you don't have to worry so much. My list was just a 'worst scenario' kind of thing...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To add something to this dialog, I believe that getting wet is actually part of the "pilgrimage process." Given the laws of biology and physics, as well as the properties of waterproof materials, there is no logical way to walk the Camino and remain dry at all times. Face it...you WILL get wet. It will either be from precipitation directly (rain or snow) or from respiration / sweat.

Simply put: "Wet and warm is good! Wet and cold is bad!" Wet, cold and windy is worst of all...unless you happen to take a dive into an icy mountain body of water.

I hope this helps.
For those of you have skipped over this rather than read it, it must be the best short explanation I have seen recently on the issues. If you are unfamiliar with how to navigate back to a quoted post, there is a little up-arrow in the first line. Click on that an it will take you back to @t2andreo's full post.

T2andreo, I found your Overview to be spot on! I'm getting a poncho. I almost hesitate to ad this fact, but I will. . . During my Camino the end of April and the month of May in 2008, I had TWO DAYS OF RAIN only. In Galacia it was intense, but only 2 days. Amazing.

For those of you have skipped over this rather than read it, it must be the best short explanation I have seen recently on the issues. If you are unfamiliar with how to navigate back to a quoted post, there is a little up-arrow in the first line. Click on that an it will take you back to @t2andreo's full post.

Gee Doug, thank you kind sir! If you accept what I have written, my day is indeed made. Thank you again for your support.

In early June 2014, working as an Amigo volunteer at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago, that is exactly what I told the pilgrims compelled to wait outdoors, in the line awaiting compostelas and distance certificates, sometimes for several hours. If they did not have any rain cover at all, I gave them one.

When rain was in the offing, I would buy a half-dozen or so inexpensive, vinyl ponchos, at a nearby souvenir shop. When they saw what I was doing, they sold them to me at one Euro each. I would give one to each exposed group of pilgrims, or single pilgrims as needed, telling them to pass it back to someone else who needed it as they went into the pilgrim office. Most shared. Some did not. It all worked out for the good.

When folks were hesitant to accept the ponchos, my standard line was that wet and warm is good and sometimes very good; whereas wet and cold is always bad. I added that NO ONE was going to get ill on my watch. The pilgrims always accepted the free ponchos.

Sometimes the simplest caveats are the best, and easiest to remember.

I hope this helps...

T2andreo, I found your Overview to be spot on! I'm getting a poncho. I almost hesitate to ad this fact, but I will. . . During my Camino the end of April and the month of May in 2008, I had TWO DAYS OF RAIN only. In Galicia it was intense, but only 2 days. Amazing.

On my first Camino Frances in 2013, I was on the road from St. Jean to Santiago for 34 days. In that time, I had 26 days, during which some form of wetness (rain or snow) fell from the skies. It was not always a heavy rain, but it was always a soaking rain.

On my second Camino Frances in 2014, the total was 20 wet days out of 33 on the way. I departed the last week of April both years. In both years I encountered snow at Cruz de Ferro in the middle of May. In 2013 it was ankle-deep. In 2014 it was a snow shower.

In May 2014, I encountered a brief but furious white-out at O'Cebriero. I stopped over there for coffee and tortilla for an hour or so before pressing on to Alto do Poio and then lower elevations.

Conversely, on my third Camino, from Porto this April, I only encountered rain on my final two days before Santiago. Many people will tell you that: "the rain in Spain...falls mainly on...GALICIA!" This was a favorite saying of a highly respected, but departed colleague, the Rev. Philip J. Wren. He had been on the Camino Frances ELEVEN times before dying unexpectedly on 1 May at Logrono.

One should be prepared for some sort of rain in Galicia at virtually any time of the year. Depending on the winds coming off the Atlantic, you can even get morning and evening showers during July and August. However, this is historically the lowest rainfall period of the year across Galicia.

Like I said, you WILL get wet sooner or later, particularly if you walk a Camino in April-May or September-October. Manage it. Do not let it overcome you. Plan in advance and then go with the flow...so to speak...

I hope this helps.

@t2andreo, I will definitely try and avoid walking at the same time as you! When I walked the CF in 2010, there were a couple of really rainy days, and a bit of drizzle. Last year it was fine until the day I returned from Finisterre, and by that time I was on the bus!

Doug:

I know it sounds incredible, but it was true. In fact, even now, whenever people ask me what my astrological sign is I usually respond "Cloud." Rain just seems to find me. In a perfectly blue sky, if there is one cloud, soon enough, it will hover over me. It is uncanny. I should hire myself out to arid regions...

However, in contrast to my previous wet pilgrimages, where hypothermia and bronchitis were more of a risk than sun-related problems, my walk from Porto to Sanitago this year, over just 10 days, brought more than a fair share of oopsies.

I had three "out-of-the-blue" fainting episodes on clear, blue sky, 27 degree days. The really scary thing is that on the coastal route coming out of Porto, you might walk all day and not meet another pilgrim. On my first day I met one, Luc from Limberg, Belgium. On my second day, I met just one, Brigida from Denmark. It was not until the third day, when the coastal route joins to the inland route that one starts to see other pilgrims with greater frequency, still far, far less than on the Frances.

It was not until after I toughed it out and got to Santiago that the import of walking in solitude so much hit me. I enjoy the alone - me time immensely. But, once one is of mature years, the "what if" aspects start to creep in unconsciously.

So, on my return, my primary physician asked me the same sort of questions about water consumption that you and I routinely handle on the forum. His conclusion is that I was either stupid and failed to drink enough water and fainted from heat stroke, or something is wrong somewhere. He reminded me in frank terms (he's been my personal physician for 25 years so we are on very friendly terms) that if you are not stopping regularly to "water the flowers," you are not drinking enough and your body will suck water from organs, muscles, connective tissues and the brain. YES, of course, you and I know that, but remember, I said I was likely stupid...dinnit I?

So, out of an abundance of caution, and me being almost 62 and not exactly a prime physical specimen, I am spending several weeks making the rounds of specialist doctors and imaging centers trying to find a medical explanation for the fainting. My money is on stupidity. We will know a lot more by the end of this week.

This is one time where I am praying to simply be stupid instead of seriously broken... The last thing I want to be told is that I cannot walk future pilgrimage routes...

Tom

It was not until after I toughed it out and got to Santiago that the import of walking in solitude so much hit me. I enjoy the alone - me time immensely. But, once one is of mature years, the "what if" aspects start to creep in unconsciously.
It was something that I put considerable thought into before walking St Olavs Way. It was clear that there would be days at a time where I might be alone, or at least without the company of other pilgrims. I think across the month, I walked with another pilgrim for less than a day in total. In the first ten days, I saw just two other pilgrims, walked with one of them for about an hour, and that was at the end of the day when we were both heading to the same herberge. In those circumstances, I was probably a bit more cautious than I would be in Spain. I was prepared to carry a bit more, and walk a bit slower as a result. It is still possible to cover the distances, it just takes longer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When folks were hesitant to accept the ponchos, my standard line was that wet and warm is good and sometimes very good; whereas wet and cold is always bad. I added that NO ONE was going to get ill on my watch. The pilgrims always accepted the free ponchos. Sometimes the simplest caveats are the best, and easiest to remember. I hope this helps...

And then there are those people like @Pablokes who do not see a link between getting cold and wet and getting ill.

And then there are those people like @Pablokes who do not see a link between getting cold and wet and getting ill.

It was just a simple and mere opinion.

I'm pretty sure you yourself know people who get easily ill and people who doesn´t, independently of the way they protect themselves. Common internal infections depend basically on immune system and nutrition. It is a fact. As you won't have an indigestion by taking a bath after lunch or you won't get aids by touching an infected.

But, anyway, I respect the right everybody has to live their life the way they want to and act consecuently. And, of course, I wish everybody will enjoy the Camino the best they can.

(Eppur si muove) ;)

@t2andreo - When I hiked my first Camino I was out of shape, but I was hiking it for my heart, which was broken. The second time I hiked it I had to turn around as my back was bad from an injury. After back surgery two years ago I'm back on the trails here in NH. I was struck by your comment about being "almost 62". 62 is in my rearview mirror and I just got back from a month down under. It didn't rain on me there either, but I had my rain gear! Wet or dry, I ALWAYS take it slow and steady because my body is well-used so I treat it with respect. I like the idea of hiking around others. In the Albergues? Not so much. :) Buen Camino

I have tried just about every combination of rain gear.

I have gone back to lightweight rain pants and a good rain jacket plus pack cover.
I usually do not take any rain gear (except umbrella) in July/August.
I have an Altus but find the pants/jacket more versatile for weight carried.
I would really like to take the full-zip pants that are so simple to put on and off...but the added weight is not worth it to me.
I do take an umbrella for sun/rain. Not too useful in wind and rain. :cool:

It it obvious that we each have preferences based on different criteria. Every method is correct if it works for you.

(Ruby S. I can loan you a small or large Altus (the original blue one) if you are near Seattle and have time.)
Ed

I have tried just about every combination of rain gear.

I have gone back to lightweight rain pants and a good rain jacket plus pack cover.
I usually do not take any rain gear (except umbrella) in July/August.
I have an Altus but find the pants/jacket more versatile for weight carried.
I would really like to take the full-zip pants that are so simple to put on and off...but the added weight is not worth it to me.
I do take an umbrella for sun/rain. Not too useful in wind and rain. :cool:

It it obvious that we each have preferences based on different criteria. Every method is correct if it works for you.

(Ruby S. I can loan you a small or large Altus (the original blue one) if you are near Seattle and have time.)
Ed

Thanks so very much, but I want to buy one for my pack. You understand I'm sure. I can't wait to hike in and around SEA with my daughter and her family. Such amazing photos they post, but many are past my ability. Thanks for your kind offer.

The only down side I see in it is the length of the sleeves, they come a third of the way up my forearm, no big deal.
I'm really hoping not to use it, I keep telling myself the weather will be perfect.
My Altus poncho was perfect (March-April), but it had sleeves and I wouldn't have wanted to do without them. You can always get an Altus on the way (I got mne in SJPP).

My latest Camino internet shopping arrived today and I am thrilled. I ordered a pair of Mac in a Sac rain pants. They are soooooo light, and breathable apparently. They come in their own little pouch as well and cost under US$30. Big thanks to the person who suggested them. I am now thinking of getting one of the rain jackets as well if they are made in the same material.

I also bought an item that will make you laugh no doubt: one of the umbrellas you wear on your head. Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SUW260/?tag=casaivar02-20

Oh, it is cheaply made but it has a wide rim, is comfortable and light. It also comes with an adjustable chin strap. Since I wear glasses I think this will work better then the Altus hood. May not work as well in windy conditions but I'm willing to wing it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My latest Camino internet shopping arrived today and I am thrilled. I ordered a pair of Mac in a Sac rain pants. They are soooooo light, and breathable apparently. They come in their own little pouch as well and cost under US$30. .
Hi Anemone, I was quite interested in the Mac rain pants. I bought one rain pant and jacket rated at 2000mm (waterproof/breathability rating). Had a heavy rain recently and I took the chance to test it out. The rain started to seep in maybe 30 mins later. I could not find the rating for this Mac brand though.

My Altus poncho was perfect (March-April), but it had sleeves and I wouldn't have wanted to do without them. You can always get an Altus on the way (I got mne in SJPP).
Hi Viranai, would this be the Direction Compostelle?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Siom, as mspath said, same owner, different shops. I went to the one closest to the Pilgrim Office.
And 'helpful' looks like this: I had to go to the Poste to mail my raingear home (I'd bought a poncho instead), and the owner's partner came with me to show me the way. She had an errand to do so it was convenient. But then when we had the box packed ready to go, I realized I'd left my wallet in the hotel room. Feeling stupid and very embarrassed, I confessed this and without a question she loaned me the money. It was an amazing introduction to the culture of kindness on the Camino. So I can't recommend them enough!

Hi Anemone, I was quite interested in the Mac rain pants. I bought one rain pant and jacket rated at 2000mm (waterproof/breathability rating). Had a heavy rain recently and I took the chance to test it out. The rain started to seep in maybe 30 mins later. I could not find the rating for this Mac brand though.
Oh no! Mine are 5000mm so hopefully they won't seep. They are much thinner than my older ones so fingers crossed. Some on this forum recommended then so I am hopeful. Not that I don't love the beautiful weather we are finally getting but when it rains again I will try them out. Thank you for the heads up.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back