• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain Gear

CaminoFrances2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hi, your answers have been very helpful. This is my last question, at least for today!

I plan to begin my walk the 3rd week of April in SJPP.

Do I need full rain gear? I mean a rain jacket, rain pants and a back pack cover?
Will one of those inexpensive ponchos over me and my back pack be sufficient?
Is there any other combination you would recommend?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The weather is always chancy in spring, and it always rains in Galicia.... So yes, you do need rain gear. Would a cheap poncho work? Depends on what you mean.

I use an Altus sometimes referred to as a poncho, but it is really a large raincoat specially made with an insert to go over a backpack. Made in Spain, they are not inexpensive, about 46 euros last time I looked. Lots of threads about rain gear on the forum, a bit like boots, shoes or sandals - everyone has their favourite.

Nothing is perfect (getting "wetted out" is always an issue no matter what you try) but I like the Altus best because it can hang off my backpack ready to pull on and off at will - no need to stop and take off the backpack if it suddenly starts raining, or the sun comes out and I get too hot. It also is much better than a pack cover because it covers everything, including shoulder straps.

Unfortunately I don't think the current models of Altus are as good as my old one. Although the new ones are much lighter.

Backpack cover (and a waterproof bag to put your stuff in inside of the pack), yes for sure.
Full rain gear (jacket, pants)? I'm not gonna say yes or no, but will say that in over 120 days of walking on the Camino Frances I only encountered four rainy days. I would say go with a poncho.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If it's cool, full rain gear is needed to avoid hypothermia. Started at SJPDP mid April last year. It was cool and rainy the first several weeks. Only one entire day of heavy wind driven rain but short showers on many days. I loved my Packa, which is a cross between a poncho and a parka. Doesn't billow in the wind, can be quickly slipped on/off while walking, completely covers your backpack, yet has the ventilation of a parka so works well in both cool or hot temps. Only available by online order but popular on the AT.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@C clearly really! Walking in the rain at home? Wouldn't dream of it! :p
I was a bit tongue-in-cheek when I wrote that, but not entirely. Thinking of it that way is probably the only way for a person to decide what they actually prefer to wear. It will be similar at home and on the camino.

I live on the Wet Coast of North America, so I do have some experience. (Edited to add: And I wouldn't be caught dead, wearing one of those poncho things at home.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, your answers have been very helpful. This is my last question, at least for today!

Do I need full rain gear? I mean a rain jacket, rain pants and a back pack cover?

Yes you need rain gear.

Inexpensive poncho is sufficient on a day when it can't decide if its going to rain or not. Its pretty much useless in a breeze.

Rain gear is needed when it really rains. Its also useful for cutting a cold wind.

I'd carry both.

You might get lucky and have no rain at all ... but if you get caught out in the open 15 km from shelter without adequate rain gear ... you'll be all wet.

The secret to staying dry is: don't get wet.

What Whariwharagi said.
In April I will take all the above, plus an umbrella.
I'm leaving the Altus Poncho at home and trying the newly purchased Ultalight Frogg Toggs Rainsuit. The Ultralight is quite light, but combined with the brolly, will, I think, suffice.
http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/all-weather-suits.html
Don't get caught under-prepared in bad weather. That is a life-threatening event.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Camino 2017 :) The worst thing that could happen to you is that you get cold and wet - take good rain gear for you, your feet, your pack and stuff in your pack too. The second worst thing that could happen is that you take really heavy waterproof gear and too much of it ;-) Keep dry, warm, light-weight and healthy. Enjoy!
Walking in the Eucalyptus forests after a rain shower, and then the sun warming everything was a fantastic experience of aroma and light. Galicia is 'weathered by the Atlantic, but its greener, foresty and wonderful - wetter, but there are good sides to that too. Buen Camino :)

Gerard I wish you fine weather but if not can we have a review on the froggstoggs please? And if you think it would be suitable for a cyclist.
Cheers and thanks and happy travels

I tried a poncho I found that if air temp was slightly cool when raining my body heat would make it as wet under the poncho and it stuck like a second skin.Bought a treking umbrella,has a large canopy and allows a rain jacket to be left unzipped to keep cool and dry.Also big enough to cover rucksack.Depends of course where the wind is coming from.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The best advice I could give is to get something now and try it out before you leave. When it is pouring rain in the morning next week, put on your gear, go out and test it. My mantra is that I don't want to leave anything for chance or for a first use when I go out on a trip. Better to select a system, whether poncho or jacket and rain pants, and work the bugs out now when you have a better chance to correct. Nothing worse to be out walking and find out the selected rain protection really doesn't work.

What Whariwharagi said.

In April I will take all the above, plus an umbrella.
I'm leaving the Altus Poncho at home and trying the newly purchased Ultalight Frogg Toggs Rainsuit. The Ultralight is quite light, but combined with the brolly, will, I think, suffice.
http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/all-weather-suits.html
Don't get caught under-prepared bad weather. That is a life-threatening event.
Regards
Gerard
I love my Frogg Togg rainsuit AND my umbrella! Taking them again next month, but crossing my fingers hoping they get very little use!

The best advice I could give is to get something now and try it out before you leave. When it is pouring rain in the morning next week, put on your gear, go out and test it. My mantra is that I don't want to leave anything for chance or for a first use when I go out on a trip. Better to select a system, whether poncho or jacket and rain pants, and work the bugs out now when you have a better chance to correct. Nothing worse to be out walking and find out the selected rain protection really doesn't work.
If you get no rain to experiment with before you go, the bathroom shower gives a pretty good indication of what will or will not work, too!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gerard I wish you fine weather but if not can we have a review on the froggstoggs please? And if you think it would be suitable for a cyclist.
I started a thread in February titled "Frogg Toggs!" and gave reasons why I love them. Many others posted comments validating their reasons, as well. Take a look in the "search" bar!

Not encountering rain is as likely as winning the winning the Spanish lottery El Gordo.
I purchased a great Columbia jacket as well as Columbia pants. (no...I do not work for Columbia!!) Jacket was waterproof, a lightweight nylon type material, breathable with very effective moisture wicking 'stuff' on the inside. It was windproof and for the hot days, the armpit areas had zippers. The hood had a peak and completely closed up around my head and neck when required. The pants had zip off shorts and nice deep zipped pockets. I wore both every day, rain or shine. I stayed totally dry through our worst rain day - a torrential downpour that did not let up for a 17km stretch along the Via Aquitana.
I also put my rain cover over my backpack every day.
This outfit kept me comfortable through all weather that we encountered. I appreciated not having to wonder about digging out the rain gear whenever the clouds darkened

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I leave for Camino on March 28th so I will be on the Camino the month of April also! I have rain Jacket, rain pants, and rain cover for my pack...but I had not thought of bringing umbrella and I haven't decided on poncho either? This has been helpful.

Umbrella? Needed?

I leave for Camino on March 28th so I will be on the Camino the month of April also! I have rain Jacket, rain pants, and rain cover for my pack...but I had not thought of bringing umbrella and I haven't decided on poncho either? This has been helpful.

Umbrella? Needed?
Hello ValsaceK,
I did not bring an umbrella in 2015, but decided to try one on the Norte last year. I really liked using it in drizzle especially. I started a thread last month about it called "Umbrella or not?" There were many wonderful replies from other forum members, too. I think you would enjoy reading it and it may help you make a decisuon. Look for it under the search button.

I'm a wear shorts when it rains person. Legs dry a lot more quickly than trousers which have been marinated in exercise induced sweat inside a pair of plastic trousers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Umbrella? Needed?

I think it all depends on the style and effectiveness of your gear. We wear Gortex rain jacket and pants with pack cover. Keeps us totally dry so no need for a poncho as well. And no need for an umbrella as the hood on the jackets has a really neat little 'peak' that keeps the rain off the face (and glasses). Pat has hers folded 'up' in the Avatar pic.

The jackets although very light, (400 gms) are great as an extra layer or to keep the wind off. One of the best pieces of advice I picked u here, was to try to pick gear that serves more than one purpose (saving weight)....... Rain jacket and pants do that...

If you get no rain to experiment with before you go, the bathroom shower gives a pretty good indication of what will or will not work, too!

LOL, I might have to resort to the bathroom to get a good shower. The forecast called for rain today so I layered up and headed out to test my lightest rain jacket. An hour away from home the light rain changed to hail and then snow. Before I made it back the sun was out and the layers were off. I'm from the "If you don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes coast".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm a wear shorts when it rains person. Legs dry a lot more quickly than trousers which have been marinated in exercise induced sweat inside a pair of plastic trousers.
Same here. During the warm weather months no need for rain pants. Your skin works better, and one less thing to pack and you stay more comfortable.
Nobody has ever died of getting their legs wet during a summer rain. :)

Wow...I need to stop being a cheap charlie and play that lottery in Spain when I'm there.
Camino Frances 2013, SJPdP to SDC: zero rain
Camino Frances 2016, SJPdP to SDC: zero rain
Mind you though, those were July-August Caminos....:cool:
Camino Frances 2015 Spring, SJPdP to Finesterre- Only 2 partial days of light rain out of 38 days. Full sun even at O'ciebrero, all of Galicia and Finesterre!
Camino Del Norte/Primitivo 2016 Spring, San Sabastian to Lugo to Santiago- Maybe 4 days of partial rain, 5 days of clouds and/or fog. All in all, I feel very fortunate with the weather considering the months I went.

I live on the Wet Coast of North America, so I do have some experience. (Edited to add: And I wouldn't be caught dead, wearing one of those poncho things at home.)

C - I am your weird neighbour that wears a poncho while walking home from work in the west end. Wave when you drive by!

Wow...I need to stop being a cheap charlie and play that lottery in Spain when I'm there.
Camino Frances 2013, SJPdP to SDC: zero rain
Camino Frances 2016, SJPdP to SDC: zero rain
Mind you though, those were July-August Caminos....:cool:

I too had two very dry Camino's - Camino Norte May 2011 and Camino Norte Sept/Oct 2013 were both dry. There were 2 hours of rain in Santillana del Mar while we were waiting to check into the hostel so I bought 2 1Euro ponchos, to tide me over till I could find an Altus, but never used them, and never found the Altus.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Same here. During the warm weather months no need for rain pants. Your skin works better, and one less thing to pack and you stay more comfortable.
Nobody has ever died of getting their legs wet during a summer rain. :)

Yes! My legs don't get cold, and dry quickly! Wet pants are awful!

Camino Frances 2015 Spring, SJPdP to Finesterre- Only 2 partial days of light rain out of 38 days. Full sun even at O'ciebrero, all of Galicia and Finesterre!
Camino Del Norte/Primitivo 2016 Spring, San Sabastian to Lugo to Santiago- Maybe 4 days of partial rain, 5 days of clouds and/or fog. All in all, I feel very fortunate with the weather considering the months I went.
Yeah, I was lucky. Even the other two CF's I did and only rained on me on two days of each one. Those were in June-July and August-September. Of those four days, only two were really downpour type rains. The other two days were those rain, stop. Rain, stop. etc.....

Yeah, I was lucky. Even the other two CF's I did and only rained on me on two days of each one. Those were in June-July and August-September. Of those four days, only two were really downpour type rains. The other two days were those rain, stop. Rain, stop. etc.....
It's those little rain, stop. Rain stop, that made me a believer in carrying an umbrella. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used an umbrella and combined it with rain pants and waterproof/breathable socks (Sealskinz) on really wet days. I packed an over-the-pack poncho but never used it. "Euroschirm" is the umbrella and so nice to keep the water from ever contacting you, because as it has been mentioned any barrier will "wet out" eventually. Umbrella also provides shade and a little roof for sitting and eating a snack beside the trail.

I'm tracking the weather at several points along the section of the Camino I'm walking, starting March 17. Every single day, for the next 3 weeks, rain 40-60% chance.

Some of those days possibly snow as well.

I chose rain pants and jacket with pack cover so that they can double as snow pants if necessary.

If I were going in the summer though, I'd definitely just use an Altus and let my legs get wet.

We all love to debate everything about equipment! I'll just add one thing - I use an Aussie Akubra hat (it's our version of a Stetson) and I find it invaluable because it is perfect in every weather. When it is raining the brim keeps the rain from hitting your face. Yet you get complete freedom of movement of your head. The hood on a poncho and the rain splashing on my face feels really annoying to me by contrast. And if it is sunny it is a great sunhat. And it is virtually indestructible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Walked from sjpdep to Santiago and did not see a drop of rain started in late April. Got drenched on last day going to finnesterra. Good light poncho coveres bag

I use an Aussie Akubra hat (it's our version of a Stetson) and I find it invaluable because it is perfect in every weather.
I agree. I have a felt hat like the Aussie soldiers wear (though not with the brim pinned up.) I've used it in the rain and in summer too for 40 years and it still has life left in it. I did not bring it on my camino because I thought it might be a nuisance but it would probably would have been okay. I did avoid having to answer the question "Are you Australian? though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi, get a high quality poncho that covers you and your pack. A poncho breathes a lot better than rain coat and trousers plus it keeps your pack dry. Ponchos are ten times easier to put on and take off plus they can double as a picnic blanket when you want to lie down or to take a snack along the way. Lastly, a poncho like the Sea to Summit is about 3 to 5 times lighter than a raincoat and trouser kit.

Last edited:
I agree. I have a felt hat like the Aussie soldiers wear (though not with the brim pinned up.) I've used it in the rain and in summer too for 40 years and it still has life left in it. I did not bring it on my camino because I thought it might be a nuisance but it would probably would have been okay. I did avoid having to answer the question "Are you Australian? though.

As an Aussie, that question starts a lot of delightful conversations :)

As an Aussie, that question starts a lot of delightful conversations :)
It saved me disappointing an awful lot of people. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I chose rain pants and jacket with pack cover so that they can double as snow pants if necessary.
Eve, I did the same thing, but when I saw an Altus in the shop at SJPP, I was sold--it's not a cheapo poncho but quite well-made, with built-in sleeves and enough length to cover both pack and upper legs. So I ditched the hi-tech goretex rain pants, rain jacket, and pack cover, mailing them ahead. It was a huge weight savings. I walk in a skirt, with leggings if it's cold, and have since discovered that if the leggings get wet it's not that big a deal because there's still insulation. Besides, the Altus is long enough to cover a lot. And if it's really hosing down, I now don't use rain pants underneath but just use a plastic trash bag/bin liner with the bottom slit open as an outer skirt. Not at all fashionable but it works. I wouldn't be tempted to do this for a winter Camino, but for Spring it has been fine, for me anyway. We all have out thermal comfort zones--yours may be different.
(All my Caminos have been in March, BTW...so yes, there has been snow. Again, it's personal, but for me wool gloves and a decent beanie have been as important for keeping warm as rain gear. I use them every day, rain or shine.)

If it's cool, full rain gear is needed to avoid hypothermia. Started at SJPDP mid April last year. It was cool and rainy the first several weeks. Only one entire day of heavy wind driven rain but short showers on many days. I loved my Packa, which is a cross between a poncho and a parka. Doesn't billow in the wind, can be quickly slipped on/off while walking, completely covers your backpack, yet has the ventilation of a parka so works well in both cool or hot temps. Only available by online order but popular on the AT.
The Packa is great. I walked with a couple that had them.
It was a bit spendy for me, though. I ended up making a "parcho", which is very similar, from a kit from Quest Outfitters. Mine ended up only weighing 7.2 ounces.

Eve, I did the same thing, but when I saw an Altus in the shop at SJPP, I was sold--it's not a cheapo poncho but quite well-made, with built-in sleeves and enough length to cover both pack and upper legs. So I ditched the hi-tech goretex rain pants, rain jacket, and pack cover, mailing them ahead. It was a huge weight savings. I walk in a skirt, with leggings if it's cold, and have since discovered that if the leggings get wet it's not that big a deal because there's still insulation. Besides, the Altus is long enough to cover a lot. And if it's really hosing down, I now don't use rain pants underneath but just use a plastic trash bag/bin liner with the bottom slit open as an outer skirt. Not at all fashionable but it works. I wouldn't be tempted to do this for a winter Camino, but for Spring it has been fine, for me anyway. We all have out thermal comfort zones--yours may be different.
(All my Caminos have been in March, BTW...so yes, there has been snow. Again, it's personal, but for me wool gloves and a decent beanie have been as important for keeping warm as rain gear. I use them every day, rain or shine.)

Funny you should mention this. I'm sitting in a hotel waiting to get up at the crack of dawn to go to SPAIN! And I cannot sleep, of course.

So I am looking at the weather for Spain and discover that rather than snow, I'm likely to see 70 degree temps. And I decided that if I pass the mountains with no snow, I'm buying an Altus and shipping my rain gear home!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wooo hooooooooooooo!!
Buen Camino to you Eve!
Every year is different, but last time I was there (early March 2015), the tops of the Valcarlos route had a bit of snow on the ground. But nothing coming out of the sky. It can later (In March I've walked in snow flurries in Burgos and Fromista), but I've been happy happy happy with the Altus. (This from a gear snob who would NEVER have used a poncho. Well, I was wrong.)

Wooo hooooooooooooo!!
Buen Camino to you Eve!
Every year is different, but last time I was there (early March 2015), the tops of the Valcarlos route had a bit of snow on the ground. But nothing coming out of the sky. It can later (In March I've walked in snow flurries in Burgos and Fromista), but I've been happy happy happy with the Altus. (This from a gear snob who would NEVER have used a poncho. Well, I was wrong.)

I'm walking in England for a week directly after the Camino. It occurred to me that rain gear might be very important there. And an Altus hard to find outside of the Camino.

My favourite rain gear is an Outdoor Research parka (can't remember the model) which is light, has a double front zip and pit zips, and is bright orange (hard to miss). It's not just rainproof but invaluable for blocking a cold wind. I usually team it with light rainpants, a NorthFace pair that has a handy articulated knee so very comfortable for walking. Wellington where I live is very windy so any sort of poncho would be like a sail in a gale! Umbrellas are also impracticable here, however I did buy and take with me on my last camino a very good Euroshrim lightweight hiking umbrella, which was great for both downpour and blazing sun.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It occurred to me that rain gear might be very important there. And an Altus hard to find outside of the Camino.
Maybe worth a thought. When you check out the Altus see how you feel and go with your gut--you can always ship your rain gear to Ivar. And then you'd have choice.

@Elizabeth B...yes, wind. And W'ton certainly has it! Actually, in a gale the Altus is not as bad as I would expect. I had a morning near Atapuerca that was intense--a crosswind (with sleet:confused:) that was howling so strongly that I couldn't use the pole on the up-wind side because as I swung it forward the wind would blow it into my path. That part I remember vividly, but the Altus was fine. (It was an interesting day...)

Has anyone ever done a poll on rain gear? I see so many discussions about what to bring; it would be interesting to see what the breakdown is.

If not, I'll try and post one. If there already is one, can someone post the link? I looked, but I'm not sure if I looked in the right places.

Hello. I bought the Frogg Toggs as well. Inexpensive, weighs nothing, and got rave reviews from motorcyclists claiming to stay totally dry. They run big and the jacket is a bit bulky to pack.

Can anyone recommend a really waterproof waterproof jacket? I am on a tight budget and trying to find something on serious sale :)

Thanks...I leave in two weeks!!!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.