• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain gear...

aussieval

Hi everyone, I was told that I may have to walk in the rain at least a few days during May/June... I got a kind of nylon poncho but it's quite bulky and a bit heavy... on the other hand, I don't think the really thin disposable kind of rain poncho would be adequate... Does anyone have any suggestion about the ideal kind of gear for rain protection?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When you get to Spain buy a poncho by Altus. It is really more like a rain jacket with a hump on the back that covers your backpack. We just finished our camino and the Altus was great! It also weighs little and can be folded quitr flat.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I ordered via Internet from a Spanish outdoor store so if that is something you would want to do just google Altus poncho. Otherwise once in Spain you will find them at most outdoor shops as well as Camino shops. I was told by one walking companion they can also be found in SJPP.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Val,
definately go with the Atlus Poncho - I know several people who used them (myself included) and found it great. You can order over the internet and it will take about 10 days to get to you from Europe. A friend who has just left for the camino did this and it only took that length of time, all the best, you may see her along the way as she plans to take it slowly.... look out for Cynthia from Adelaide. Buen camino, Jane

Hi there, i went to the website and found two types of altus ponchos. The 'basic' type is much lighter, PVC, hood, with buttons/velcro on sides. Has anyone used these? Were they reasonably effective? If so, I'll go for these as weight is an issue for me as I'm short and slim (less than 50kg).

You shouldn't have problems getting ahold of the Altus, I'm in China, bought one from a Spanish (?) website and had it shipped to my friends in Paris. I can't remember which website, but it was one someone had posted a link to in this forum. I believe they shipped worldwide.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just bookmarked a site posted on the forum for Altus... something like Barrabes.com out of Madrid. My question is this:

For traveling late June to first of August, will I need rain gear? If so, I'm thinking that with the crowds, I want to order now to be sure I've got one of these Altus ponchos unless there is a better suggestion out there?

Grazie~ Denise

The rain in Spain falls gently on the plain... all year long! ::laughing::

It rained for us in August, Sept, Oct, Nov both times we went... on occasion. Not every day, but especially in Galicia.

Other folks will have to vouch for the other months.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can honestly say it has been raining every single time I've been to Galicia, and over the course of a month of walking you will get downpours at one point or another. Also it can happen very quickly, which is why I love my Altus. One day I was walking with it permanently over my pack and just put my arms in and pulled it on as and when I needed - it was fifteen minutes of bucketing down, then fifteen with birdsong and sunshine ... :roll: you'd never get your pack rain cover, rain pants and rain jacket on and off in time. So even though it adds a bit of weight in the pack, when it comes to my Altus I would much rather carry it and not need it than need it and not carry it. You can spread it out on wet grass and sit on it, cover yourself with it to keep warm ... well worth the investment.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.