• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

rain in spain

megs 52

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk the camino in june 2015
Can you tell me if is rains a lot in july - should I bring a raincoat? Or can you get one in Pilgrims Office in St Jean Pied de Port?
Megs

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is no way to predict how much rain will fall in northern Spain during any year. Best advice is to go to a weather website and look at past years rainfall throughout northern Spain and make your own conclusion.
The pilgrim's office doesn't sell rain gear. Buy yourself a lightweight, packable one before you go.

Spain is a big place, and the Camino covers a lot of territory and elevation. It may rain. Read threads in the Forum on rain gear. Your choice is generally between a rain suit or a poncho. To me, the best choice is the Altus poncho. You can find it described in the threads on the Altus poncho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A well known and much respected, since deceased, veteran of this forum and of the Camino coined a phrase which many of us still use:

"The rain in Spain, falls mainly...on Galicia"
Rev. Philip J, Wren "Methodistpilgrim98"

The paraphrasing of Prof. Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady" is cute, but, it does seem to be true, and at any time of the year. You can walk in from just about any Camino dry as a bone. However, once you enter Galicia, rain becomes unpredictable, even during the hot, dry summers.

I believe it has something to do with ocean currents, wind direction and strength and weather fronts coming in off the Atlantic. I walked from Porto in April 2015 and had eight beautiful, sunny, blue sky days. Then, once I crossed into Spain and entered Galicia, the weather clouded over. The last two days had significant rain. I arrived at the Pilgrim Office in my rain poncho.

N.B. Phil ended his 11th trip segment on the Camino Frances, completed his third full Camino, and started his eternal Camino, at Logrono, on 1 May 2013. Many of us were proud to have known him. We all respected and liked him a lot. I happened to be walking with him when this happened.

A group of us from this forum have since planted a tree in Phil's memory, and to provide shade (eventually) to other Pilgrims along the Meseta portion of the Camino where it is much needed. Phil's tree, and a plaque commemorating him, are about 1/2 km BEFORE Moratinos, on the right along a slight rise in the trail, just before the town cemetery (which is on the left.)

Buy yourself a lightweight, packable one before you go.
Or better yet, buy an Altas one (much more suitable than anything in the States) in Spain. But, again, not at the tourist office.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can you tell me if is rains a lot in july - should I bring a raincoat? Or can you get one in Pilgrims Office in St Jean Pied de Port?
Megs
Hi Megs, you can't predict the rain. As some people stated by lightweight rain gear but not in the Pilgrim Office. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Megs

It might rain and it might not. Are you willing to risk being soaked and risking hypothermia (combination of being low on energy, wet, and in cool weather ~20C is potentially lethal)?

There is a website - Accuweather - which gives good weather forecasts. Worth having a look - you can enter specific locations to check various points along the route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Generally speaking (it might be local exceptions), July is the driest month in Spain. Of course, it doesn't mean it can't rain...

Megs

When we went in April and early May
it was misty and rainy at least part of every every day for a week, mostly in Gallicia. I had a light raincoat with hood, a waterproof pack cover, and a wide brimmed hat and good hiking shoes. The thing is where I come from
(Cape Cod) when it clears up, that's it,
but when it clears up there, it starts up again later. Very deceptive.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back