• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain issues...Goretex Jacket 670 g vs Rain Jacket 340g

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
Seeking yet more advice....I start in Leon on 1 June and while slow, I will still get to Santiago in three weeks. I have the two options for rainy weather listed in the title. The rain jacket is just a single layer, the Goretex is padded. I am struggling with knowing how to pack for what is to me, an Australian from the subtropics, cooler weather (12-22 degrees I gather).

Our rain only falls in the heat of summer....so no such thing as cold, rainy weather here. June in Spain looks more like our winter in terms of temps, but possibly wet unlike here. I don't have rain pants, and my shoes are not rain proof as I have to cater to foot problems and waterproof boots sadly didn't work out for me.

I have NO experience in walking in cool/cold (to me!), wet weather, so I really don't know what to pack. I have a small 30litre pack weighing around 5 kg when full which is plenty for my back.

PS I do have both a pack cover and wet bags for inside the pack.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would take the single layer rain jacket and have a separate fleece for if you feel cold. You can then wear just the rain jacket over your base layer without sweltering in the padded Goretex. Even Queenslanders can adapt to the cooler weather 😅 and you will find it much more comfortable walking without the humidity you are used to.

A rain jacket over a fleece works for me, ventilation is the problem for me - don't like ponchos something like portable saunas, serious rain "gear" and the sweat which in cold weather makes you shiver, hoodies fleece or otherwise - the head covering always causes my glasses to fog over and I can't see anything taking them off is not an option since again I can't see anything. My solution?
Check the photograph <- an Aussie bush hat is wonderful against the rain against the sun and causes no problem with my glasses.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A rain jacket over a fleece works for me, ventilation is the problem for me - don't like ponchos something like portable saunas, serious rain "gear" and the sweat which in cold weather makes you shiver, hoodies fleece or otherwise - the head covering always causes my glasses to fog over and I can't see anything taking them off is not an option since again I can't see anything. My solution?
Check the photograph <- an Aussie bush hat is wonderful against the rain against the sun and causes no problem with my glasses.
Ah yes, foggy glasses! Makes everyone look younger at least, including my image in the mirror 😄 Thank you for your advice!

Hi Holhum, is a really good question and each returning pilgrim will have come up with the answer that is good for them.
Even if you are a sunny Aussie it is usually pretty warm in June - and pretty dry, though that cannot be guaranteed.
The 'problem' with rain jackets, Goretex included, is that when wearing a pack all the straps close it hard against your body, and with the exertion of walking you can get wet inside through sweating, which is why so many go for a good poncho.
I think that the answer for you - mentioned above, is some sort of fleece and the light rain jacket, or a poncho.

Think of it as keeping your body warm through base layers with something on top to keep it dry - if you are against using a poncho I would suggest the light rain jacket - you certainly won't want a padded coat in June. I was out on the Meseta last June and it was up in the high thirties then!

I am off to Camino on Sunday to do first aid and have a similar problem - will be warm and cool on different days, and will include showers ... I usually just take my poncho but because of the time of year I am taking back-up - my answer is a lightweight Musto (they make sailing gear) wind-breaker jacket, 590 gms, that is like a fleece but totally wind-proof and smooth on the outside and shower resistant and a 360 gms hooded rain jacket - with one or both this will give me the option of being warm on early mornings and cold days - but as it is early season I am also taking my Ikea poncho, 195 gms, to put over everything if it becomes torrential.

But! this is only my personal choice! - oh, one thing .. the hoods on ponchos and those lightweight rain jackets .. to keep the rain from running down your face you will need a peaked cap, a baseball cap - works a treat!

Last edited:
Yep, a good poncho with the extra pocket on the back keeps everything dry, so you can leave the dry bag and the pack cover at home. We got Bluefields from Amazon in Germany, which are similar to Altus, but a lot cheaper and lighter. Paid 39€ for them and they were perfect in the 4 days of pouring rain last April in Portugal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Based on my person experience, I recommend a lighter weight rain jacket in place of a poncho. I took a full length / zip up poncho, and rain jacket and rain paints on my first two Caminos. Ditched the poncho on the third. Fortunately I never experienced the "sauna" inside of rain gear others report, even though I had about 10 days of rain during my last Camino. I enjoyed having the extra layer of a rain jacket / wind breaker many mornings. Sometimes I also wore the rain trousers in the early morning hours to ward off the chill. On all three Caminos I saw a large number of pilgrims wearing ponchos which were being blown about, flapping in the wind, not really providing a significant amount of protection from the rain and cold. But it all boils down to personal preference and prior experiences with both rain gear and ponchos.

Last edited:
Not usually a fan of ponchos like Altus etc., which are heavy and for me act as a sweat tent. In cooler weather when you stop you can get pretty chilled. I do have a sea to summit silicon poncho which is ultra light and compact (size of a pop can). Expensive but a good compromise in a week of rain. I do like trekking umbrellas that cover you and attach to your pack making it handsfree, so you can still use your walking poles. Not a good option in meseta winds however. I have a North Face Dryzzle Gortex jacket that is good, but although Gortex claims it breathes, when you work up a sweat walking up a hill I sometimes stow it and just go with a tshirt, since I am going to get wet anyway.

For boots or shoes in really rainy weather I wear plastic bags over my socks tied at the ankle since your boots or shoes are most likely to get wet inside and outside anyway.

Hi Holhum, is a really good question and each returning pilgrim will have come up with the answer that is good for them.
Even if you are a sunny Aussie it is usually pretty warm in June - and pretty dry, though that cannot be guaranteed.
The 'problem' with rain jackets, Goretex included, is that when wearing a pack all the straps close it hard against your body, and with the exertion of walking you can get wet inside through sweating, which is why so many go for a good poncho.
I think that the answer for you - mentioned above, is some sort of fleece and the light rain jacket, or a poncho.

Think of it as keeping your body warm through base layers with something on top to keep it dry - if you are against using a poncho I would suggest the light rain jacket - you certainly won't want a padded coat in June. I was out on the Meseta last June and it was up in the high thirties then!

I am off to Camino on Sunday to do first aid and have a similar problem - will be warm and cool on different days, and will include showers ... I usually just take my poncho but because of the time of year I am taking back-up - my answer is a lightweight Musto (they make sailing gear) wind-breaker jacket, 590 gms, that is like a fleece but totally wind-proof and smooth on the outside and shower resistant and a 360 gms hooded rain jacket - with one or both this will give me the option of being warm on early mornings and cold days - but as it is early season I am also taking my Ikea poncho, 195 gms, to put over everything if it becomes torrential.

But! this is only my personal choice! - oh, one thing .. the hoods on ponchos and those lightweight rain jackets .. to keep the rain from running down your face you will need a peaked cap, a baseball cap - works a treat!
Thanks! That all sounds very sensible. I just bought a Northface cap in a quick dry fabric for that very reason. Wet glasses vs blind if I take them off won’t make it any easier to walk in the rain!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Based on my person experience, I recommend a lighter weight rain jacket in place of a poncho. I took a full length / zip up poncho, and rain jacket and rain paints on my first two Caminos. Ditched the poncho on the third. Fortunately I never experienced the "sauna" inside of rain gear others report, even though I had about 10 days of rain during my last Camino. I enjoyed having the extra layer of a rain jacket / wind breaker many mornings. Sometimes I also wore the rain trousers in the early morning hours to ward off the chill. On all three Caminos I saw a large number of pilgrims wearing ponchos which were being blown about, flapping in the wind, not really providing a significant amount of protection from the rain and cold. But it all boils down to personal preference and prior experiences with both rain gear and ponchos.
Thanks yes I fear the ‘sail’ qualities of a poncho in the wind which was why I thought a jacket might be better!

Not usually a fan of ponchos like Altus etc., which are heavy and for me act as a sweat tent. In cooler weather when you stop you can get pretty chilled. I do have a sea to summit silicon poncho which is ultra light and compact (size of a pop can). Expensive but a good compromise in a week of rain. I do like trekking umbrellas that cover you and attach to your pack making it handsfree, so you can still use your walking poles. Not a good option in meseta winds however. I have a North Face Dryzzle Gortex jacket that is good, but although Gortex claims it breathes, when you work up a sweat walking up a hill I sometimes stow it and just go with a tshirt, since I am going to get wet anyway.

For boots or shoes in really rainy weather I wear plastic bags over my socks tied at the ankle since your boots or shoes are most likely to get wet inside and outside anyway.
Oh yes my shoes got SO wet when I walked in heavy rain just for 10 min the other day and in our humidity they are still drying out! I guess gaiters or plastic bags are an option 😁

Well, I walked in 35-40km winds and pouring rain, and my poncho does not fly around like a sail. The form fitting pocket on the back prevents this from happening. It is also a lot lighter than an Altus, only weighing 330gr. Others walking by, soaking wet in their rain coats, because of the straps on their packs making water leak in, told me they were jealous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Something else to consider is that Goretex will block those cold north winds and if it has pit zips you can adjust your ventilation. Also while exploring towns and villages I have always preferred a jacket.
Ponchos make a great picnic spread and has many other uses that a stranded pilgrim could find handy.
I carry both.

The times I have taken a jacket in early spring or late autumn, I have never used it.
If I put it on in the early morning, I'm peeling it off within 10 minutes of walking.
To me, a fleece or lightweight merino shirt with a windbreaker type jacket over it is enough,
even in the coolest weather, unless you're walking a winter Camino.

I do love my ALTUS poncho - and if vented correctly, it doesn't get me wet inside it, but a jacket is also fine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a light weight Sea to Summit poncho. The trick to keeping it from flying around is to use a heavy string/light rope to tie a belt around your waist. I a very small, so most rain gear was too big. My clothes line string was my belt. I also had enough to cut some off and share with others. LOL, I never did use it as a clothes line.

Seeking yet more advice....I start in Leon on 1 June and while slow, I will still get to Santiago in three weeks. I have the two options for rainy weather listed in the title. The rain jacket is just a single layer, the Goretex is padded. I am struggling with knowing how to pack for what is to me, an Australian from the subtropics, cooler weather (12-22 degrees I gather).

Our rain only falls in the heat of summer....so no such thing as cold, rainy weather here. June in Spain looks more like our winter in terms of temps, but possibly wet unlike here. I don't have rain pants, and my shoes are not rain proof as I have to cater to foot problems and waterproof boots sadly didn't work out for me.

I have NO experience in walking in cool/cold (to me!), wet weather, so I really don't know what to pack. I have a small 30litre pack weighing around 5 kg when full which is plenty for my back.

PS I do have both a pack cover and wet bags for inside the pack.

Thanks!
Below is a post I have made on this issue before. Maybe it will be of help :)
------------------------------------------------------------
Water will enter trail runner shoes, hiking shoes, or backpacking boots through any opening during a rainstorm, when walking through wet grass and brush, or drench into them if you walk through puddles or other standing water along the Camino.

There are two potential remedies to this problem, neither of which is always effective.
  • First, you can try keeping rain pants over the tops of shoes, so the water runs down the pants past the opening. But this system can be uncomfortably hot in warm weather during rain-soaked conditions. It offers no protection for puddles or having to cross water runoffs on the pathway.
  • You can try using a footwear with a waterproof gaiter or some other waterproof cobbles -- like thick plastic bags. I have not often seen a gaiter or other waterproof trapping that would both keep the water out and keep the feet dry.
“Waterproof” shoes are a misnomer for several reasons.
  • They can fail because the materials simply don’t work over the near and long term because it is difficult to apply and cover all areas of the footwear sufficiently.
  • The waterproof coating or laminate in the shoes does not last. Some manufacturers of the lightweight trail shoes, which are usually constructed as a hybrid of fabric and leather, have treated them with a coating which can quickly wear off. It also keeps sweat in the shoe and your feet get soaked in sweat. Fairly quickly, coatings break down and will no longer be waterproof.
  • Footwear which relies on a “Gore-Tex” style of waterproof/breathable laminate will break down through both wear and tear and dirt buildup on the material which renders it ineffective.
When I’ve tested so-called waterproof / breathable fabrics in shoes for various manufacturers, their actual performance never matched what was claimed. My reports to their QA departments have always reflected these weaknesses as found during testing. Sometimes a shoe will start the test period working fairly well under a narrow range of wet conditions, but as the testing progresses the failures increase.

Waterproof/breathable membranes, like Gore-Tex, are only marginally breathable — water vapor from perspiration does not pass through the fabric as efficiently as is claimed. It can't. Unlike outerwear, the shoe material radically inhibits the ability of the membrane to allow water vapor to escape, thereby trapping it in the shoe.

So, on warm days the experience of having sweat being trapped in the shoe is common. Combined with the fact that the fabric waterproofing is quickly damaged by dirt, sweat, grime, and abrasion and it’s only a matter of time before exterior moisture begins penetrating the fabric and allowing feet to get wet from outside moisture as well.

This is why most experienced trekkers and backpackers no longer go to great lengths to keep feet dry. They accept that when the weather is wet, feet will also get wet. Even the US military uses footwear for wet conditions which is not waterproof. The strategy is how to minimize any problems when feet are wet.

In working with folks new to backpacking who ask about waterproof footwear recommendations, I have asked why they wanted waterproof shoes. Sometimes, they will look at me as if I had spaghetti sticking out of my nose. Most will answer that they think their feet will stay dry, and that having wet feet is akin to getting into horrible trouble.

This post is meant to help inform, reassure, and give a different line of thought and reasoning to this issue.

I like to have dry feet. I always try to avoid wet feet. I have tried many ways to keep my feet dry:

• “Waterproof” shoes, which, as I’ve said, don’t work well.
  • “Waterproof” socks, which don’t work for similar reasons: shoes still get wet, and feet soak with sweat. However – In cold weather these soaks can be the basis for using vapor barrier warmth conservation of the feet.
  • Wearing multiple pairs of socks, frequently changing from wet to dry, which eventually all get wet.
  • Carrying multiple pairs of shoes, which eventually all get wet, too.
I have never had total success at keeping my feet dry in very wet conditions, which led me to research what has been done to develop effective strategies. If I can’t keep my feet dry, then I need to try and eliminate or minimize the risk of any of the bad things that could occur to my wet feet when walking.

Some of these lessons I learned while in Vietnam…. Like the fact that our boots had fabric tops and numerous holes in the thin leather bottom portions so that water drained out quickly and never sat in the boots.

What are the most frequent and problematic 'bad' things?
  • Maceration is the medical term for pruning, where the skin’s outer layer absorbs a lot of moisture and gets “soggy” from that moisture. The skin gets sore and extremely soft which makes it more prone to blistering and developing other problems.
  • Cracking of the skin when the macerated feet dry. The natural moisture and oiliness of the skin is gone. The severity depends on how much stress the skin is exposed to after it is dried out.
So, what does work for me, and others, if I am going to be walking or backpacking in wet weather?
  • Apply a good, thick coating of a Goop (ointment or salve) to my feet and between toes before putting on socks and shoes in the morning. If rain occurs later in the day, then remove shoes and socks and do the same. This helps protect from external moisture.
Goop which has a high content of wax – either bee or paraffin – is most ideal, especially if it also has a high lanolin content.
  • Wear non-waterproof shoes which can drain and then dry out quickly. This minimizes the amount of puddling in the shoe that bathes the feet in moisture. Modern trail running shoes, and trail shoes often have nice open mesh fabric which is terrific for draining water.
Non-waterproof shoes will also eliminate moisture from sweaty feet. Remember, it doesn’t matter what the source of the moisture is that feet are exposed to: be it rain or sweat, each can cause the same problems.
  • Wear thin, light-cushioned merino wool socks, which don’t absorb as much water as thicker socks. Merino wool will also keep wet feet warm and comfortable in most seasons and temperature ranges, unless the weather is frigid winter-cold.
  • Take off shoes and socks to let feet air dry during rest stop that will be longer than 20 minutes.During this time, I will wring out any excess moisture from the socks, but I will not put on either of my dry pairs (I take three). I will also wipe off moisture on my feet and then reapply a goodly amount of Goop to my feet to help keep them from becoming macerated.
  • When stopping for the day, apply Goop to the bottoms of feet, both before and after showering.
  • Carry an extra pair of insoles. These insoles do not have to be your preferred “walking” insoles that you may have purchased separately. These can be the lightweight pair which came with your shoes. These will be the barrier between your wet footwear and your dry socks when you are done for the day and if your shoes are a bit damp come morning.
I find that at days end, I can remove the wet insoles and use absorbent paper or toweling to sop up as much moisture as is possible while I am showering and dealing with end of the day chores.

When I get ready to go to dinner or wander around town, I put on a pair of dry Merino wool socks, insert the extra pair of dry insoles into my shoes, and put the shoes back on to walk around in. This accelerates drying out the shoes. Depending on the shoe’s material, within a couple of hours the shoes are mostly dry.
  • At bedtime, I remove the insoles and stuff absorbent material into the shoes to continue the drying out process, if need be, during the night.
  • Apply more salve or ointment and wear dry and warm socks at while sleeping; this gives feet 8-9 hours of recovery.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks yes I fear the ‘sail’ qualities of a poncho in the wind which was why I thought a jacket might be better!

That is something that can be controlled, and is not necessary. As with everything else, there is a technique that is workable.

Even the most breathable of the waterproof laminates requires airflow to keep condensation inside the raingear to a minimum. I have found that a poncho has the ability to provide the most airflow, and as someone who really sweats hard under a backpacking load, having the poncho over my backpack helps to increase the ability of circulating airflow.

There are even good, inexpensive and lighter weight ponchos which also 'breath'. Bottom line for me is that I can rapidly pull my poncho from my backpack's side pocket, put it on, and then remove it and stow it back in the pocket without needing to remove my pack. I don't even need to stop walking. And for days where the rain starts and stops, starts and stops, etc . . . that is the usability that I prefer.

I've walked Frances in February 2019 with many days of rain. I've learned there is no such thing as waterproof jacket/shoes/gear when it is raining all day, Goretex or not. There is no defense againt soaking all day rain.

Thank you for your advice, very helpful for a newbie! 😄

Below is a post I have made on this issue before. Maybe it will be of help :)
------------------------------------------------------------
Water will enter trail runner shoes, hiking shoes, or backpacking boots through any opening during a rainstorm, when walking through wet grass and brush, or drench into them if you walk through puddles or other standing water along the Camino.

There are two potential remedies to this problem, neither of which is always effective.
  • First, you can try keeping rain pants over the tops of shoes, so the water runs down the pants past the opening. But this system can be uncomfortably hot in warm weather during rain-soaked conditions. It offers no protection for puddles or having to cross water runoffs on the pathway.
  • You can try using a footwear with a waterproof gaiter or some other waterproof cobbles -- like thick plastic bags. I have not often seen a gaiter or other waterproof trapping that would both keep the water out and keep the feet dry.
“Waterproof” shoes are a misnomer for several reasons.
  • They can fail because the materials simply don’t work over the near and long term because it is difficult to apply and cover all areas of the footwear sufficiently.
  • The waterproof coating or laminate in the shoes does not last. Some manufacturers of the lightweight trail shoes, which are usually constructed as a hybrid of fabric and leather, have treated them with a coating which can quickly wear off. It also keeps sweat in the shoe and your feet get soaked in sweat. Fairly quickly, coatings break down and will no longer be waterproof.
  • Footwear which relies on a “Gore-Tex” style of waterproof/breathable laminate will break down through both wear and tear and dirt buildup on the material which renders it ineffective.
When I’ve tested so-called waterproof / breathable fabrics in shoes for various manufacturers, their actual performance never matched what was claimed. My reports to their QA departments have always reflected these weaknesses as found during testing. Sometimes a shoe will start the test period working fairly well under a narrow range of wet conditions, but as the testing progresses the failures increase.

Waterproof/breathable membranes, like Gore-Tex, are only marginally breathable — water vapor from perspiration does not pass through the fabric as efficiently as is claimed. It can't. Unlike outerwear, the shoe material radically inhibits the ability of the membrane to allow water vapor to escape, thereby trapping it in the shoe.

So, on warm days the experience of having sweat being trapped in the shoe is common. Combined with the fact that the fabric waterproofing is quickly damaged by dirt, sweat, grime, and abrasion and it’s only a matter of time before exterior moisture begins penetrating the fabric and allowing feet to get wet from outside moisture as well.

This is why most experienced trekkers and backpackers no longer go to great lengths to keep feet dry. They accept that when the weather is wet, feet will also get wet. Even the US military uses footwear for wet conditions which is not waterproof. The strategy is how to minimize any problems when feet are wet.

In working with folks new to backpacking who ask about waterproof footwear recommendations, I have asked why they wanted waterproof shoes. Sometimes, they will look at me as if I had spaghetti sticking out of my nose. Most will answer that they think their feet will stay dry, and that having wet feet is akin to getting into horrible trouble.

This post is meant to help inform, reassure, and give a different line of thought and reasoning to this issue.

I like to have dry feet. I always try to avoid wet feet. I have tried many ways to keep my feet dry:

• “Waterproof” shoes, which, as I’ve said, don’t work well.
  • “Waterproof” socks, which don’t work for similar reasons: shoes still get wet, and feet soak with sweat. However – In cold weather these soaks can be the basis for using vapor barrier warmth conservation of the feet.
  • Wearing multiple pairs of socks, frequently changing from wet to dry, which eventually all get wet.
  • Carrying multiple pairs of shoes, which eventually all get wet, too.
I have never had total success at keeping my feet dry in very wet conditions, which led me to research what has been done to develop effective strategies. If I can’t keep my feet dry, then I need to try and eliminate or minimize the risk of any of the bad things that could occur to my wet feet when walking.

Some of these lessons I learned while in Vietnam…. Like the fact that our boots had fabric tops and numerous holes in the thin leather bottom portions so that water drained out quickly and never sat in the boots.

What are the most frequent and problematic 'bad' things?
  • Maceration is the medical term for pruning, where the skin’s outer layer absorbs a lot of moisture and gets “soggy” from that moisture. The skin gets sore and extremely soft which makes it more prone to blistering and developing other problems.
  • Cracking of the skin when the macerated feet dry. The natural moisture and oiliness of the skin is gone. The severity depends on how much stress the skin is exposed to after it is dried out.
So, what does work for me, and others, if I am going to be walking or backpacking in wet weather?
  • Apply a good, thick coating of a Goop (ointment or salve) to my feet and between toes before putting on socks and shoes in the morning. If rain occurs later in the day, then remove shoes and socks and do the same. This helps protect from external moisture.
Goop which has a high content of wax – either bee or paraffin – is most ideal, especially if it also has a high lanolin content.
  • Wear non-waterproof shoes which can drain and then dry out quickly. This minimizes the amount of puddling in the shoe that bathes the feet in moisture. Modern trail running shoes, and trail shoes often have nice open mesh fabric which is terrific for draining water.
Non-waterproof shoes will also eliminate moisture from sweaty feet. Remember, it doesn’t matter what the source of the moisture is that feet are exposed to: be it rain or sweat, each can cause the same problems.
  • Wear thin, light-cushioned merino wool socks, which don’t absorb as much water as thicker socks. Merino wool will also keep wet feet warm and comfortable in most seasons and temperature ranges, unless the weather is frigid winter-cold.
  • Take off shoes and socks to let feet air dry during rest stop that will be longer than 20 minutes.During this time, I will wring out any excess moisture from the socks, but I will not put on either of my dry pairs (I take three). I will also wipe off moisture on my feet and then reapply a goodly amount of Goop to my feet to help keep them from becoming macerated.
  • When stopping for the day, apply Goop to the bottoms of feet, both before and after showering.
  • Carry an extra pair of insoles. These insoles do not have to be your preferred “walking” insoles that you may have purchased separately. These can be the lightweight pair which came with your shoes. These will be the barrier between your wet footwear and your dry socks when you are done for the day and if your shoes are a bit damp come morning.
I find that at days end, I can remove the wet insoles and use absorbent paper or toweling to sop up as much moisture as is possible while I am showering and dealing with end of the day chores.

When I get ready to go to dinner or wander around town, I put on a pair of dry Merino wool socks, insert the extra pair of dry insoles into my shoes, and put the shoes back on to walk around in. This accelerates drying out the shoes. Depending on the shoe’s material, within a couple of hours the shoes are mostly dry.
  • At bedtime, I remove the insoles and stuff absorbent material into the shoes to continue the drying out process, if need be, during the night.
  • Apply more salve or ointment and wear dry and warm socks at while sleeping; this gives feet 8-9 hours of recovery.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your advice, very helpful for a newbie! 😄

Does the Ikea rain poncho fit over a pack?

101-02 Marika on a misty damp morning on the way to La Espina.JPG

My walking buddy on the Primitivo with Ikea Poncho. It was fine, but they do fall apart or rip after prolonged use. We saw many of them in bins along the way. For a short camino ok, but for a longer one get a decent one. Preferably one with arms and that opens up (zip) the front for easy access. Marika here could not easily put this on on her own!

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
View attachment 56313

My walking buddy on the Primitivo with Ikea Poncho. It was fine, but they do fall apart or rip after prolonged use. We saw many of them in bins along the way. For a short camino ok, but for a longer one get a decent one. Preferably one with arms and that opens up (zip) the front for easy access. Marika here could not easily put this on on her own!

Davey
I’ve left it too late to buy a poncho here, how easy are they to buy on the actual Camino? Ta!

View attachment 56313

Davey
I would probably only take an Ikea poncho on a summer Camino with little chance of rain.

I’ve left it too late to buy a poncho here, how easy are they to buy on the actual Camino? Ta!

Plenty of hiking shops in Leon, including two Tienda de Peregrino. I just googled 'hiking shops Leon Spain'. One is quite near the cathedral on Calle La Rua. Altus ponchos are (to me) the best Spanish ones. Though I use a Ferrino which is Italian but very similar.

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would probably only take an Ikea poncho on a summer Camino with little chance of rain.

I wouldn't. I would take something that is going to work if it does rain. And will last a lifetime. Plus, Galicia is famous for rain! It has rained for days and I have had the odd storm every camino I have walked, even in summer. (Maybe I am just unlucky)!

Davey

5kg isn't that much, but carrying the weight on your shoulder or on your waist makes a big difference.

I decided for me that a waterproof poncho is my main rain protection, sometimes combined with rain trousers. You will find others who take an umbrella, waterproof jackets or even not really waterprove clothes (your skin is waterproof finally). I often saw short trousers and some cover for the upper part, which makes me shiver only seeing it, but for them it was OK. It's the same situation with shoes. Some have boots, some take only sandals (water goes in and out without consequences).

Buying something in the bigger cities will work, if you wear an ordinary size (for a Spaniard). Too tall, too fat is more problematic than too small.
Decathlon shops are almost everywhere. They sell cheap outdoor stuff (usually with their own brands). In the villages most pilgrim shops will sell cheap ponchos and umbrellas. (Cheaper ponchos are short and don't cover the arms, so the jacket is still handy.)

I would not worry too much about a camino in June. Yes you can hit a rain front and thunderstorms, but at least the famous galician rain is very light. Change from light rain to shower to sunshine is fast so the umbrella fraction does well. Putting on and off the Poncho takes time and is not the best for such kind of weather.

You have already two layers of cover for your backpack/clothes. That's great. No worries about wet clothes. So you should take your light jacket and start. The weather forecast is not very accurate for 2 weeks but gives you an idea and the forecast for tomorrow tells you if you'll need some extra protection.

PS: The bluefield poncho is now on sale for 64€, but I wouldn't buy it for another reason, From the Photo it is way to short. Reaching the knees on such photos is the absolute minimum for a good cover.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.