• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

rain pants for the CF in late april/may?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
not sure whether to buy rain pants or just get a pair of gaiters and wear shorts if it rains!

what do you reckon?

Shorts and bare legs. If the rain is really cold, then I put this on. It is just one manufacturer's model; there are others.

Like my poncho, I just grab it out of a side pocket. Then I wrap it around me while my pack stays on, and even while walking :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also shorts and bare legs; rain jackets and pants just make rain sweat from the inside. I have used my Golite pants maybe 3 time to protect against wind chill.
But my Altus poncho is almost my favorite piece of gear: rain protection, eliminates pack cover, picnic blanket, ground cover, emergency shelter............

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m not a fan of ponchos or such, it's rain pants & jacket for me. I prefer all items I carry have multiple uses, so for my rain jacket & pants I can use them for additional warmth off trail if needed, wear while my clothes are being washed, etc. (I clearly don't have the confidence davebugg has if he's wearing that kilt around in the albergue while his clothes are being washed :p). I am also not a fan of pack covers. It’s dry compression bags for me. That said, to each their own. Use what works for YOU. The Camino isn’t a remote wilderness hike. You will have multiple opportunities to change or add gear if something just isn’t working for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I went during this time 3 years ago I took them, however I used them twice maximum. When I leave again on the 17th April I won't be taking them as it is an extra thing to carry, and feel like I can manage one or two days if it rains heavily!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It can often be plenty cold while it’s raining buckets in April, especially in the high passes. I’ve worn rain pants during these periods and never had issues of sweating inside but maybe because I’m not racing anywhere and just taking it nice and easy. Funny enough, I find walking in the rain relaxing, at least when I’m warm and dry!

I'm not THAT brave. I do have two pairs of shorts. Or it may be shorts and zip-offs. But, hey, in a pinch baselayer bottoms and a kilt are an ok combination :)
I brought my EE rain skirt on my first camino. It was a dark gray, but semi-transparent. I had a couple of uncomfortable hours in a public laundromat doing wash.:eek:

Our crew all did wash in Lavacolla, and I wore my rain skirt and a puff jacket to the bar. My amigo wasn't having it, and lent me a pair of shorts. 😂

I now have a ZPacks rain skirt that is black, and opaque.:D:cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked in the winter of 2016. I wore my rain pants only 2 times. There was more sweat on the inside than foul weather on the outside. I only wear quick dry hiking pants and extremely cold weather I wear a smart wool base layer to keep warm. I do a lot of hiking in the Cascade Mountains where it rains a lot.

Yes. We walked last year 4/28 to 6/4. There were four days of intense cold rain near the end. I had a great rain paints and was fine. My partner did not and she was miserable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The OP included the question of gaiters - will these keep the rain from running into your boots or shoes? I’ve been contemplating this same question but haven’t found anything about the effectiveness of short gaiters for this purpose.

Montbell sells rain skirts/kilts on line. They are on the short side but one can add snaps to anchor it onto shorts to add to the length. The skirt/kilt ventilates a lot better than rain pants. I have tested it and it works well. I have also tested the other option with the nylon silicon combination. It soaked through too quickly then became clammy and useless. Alternatively, long gaiters paired with poncho work well too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The OP included the question of gaiters - will these keep the rain from running into your boots or shoes? I’ve been contemplating this same question but haven’t found anything about the effectiveness of short gaiters for this purpose.

Gaiters are primarily designed to keep non liquid stuff out of boots. Sand, mud, snow, ice. While they can help shed SOME water away from footwear, it is not in their nature to keep water out of shoes and so they will disappoint if used for that purpose. And they will not be much help for puddles and such.

There are pilgrims who walk with leather boots that reach well above the ankle. For shedding water, these work best with gaiters.

It is a cost-benefit consideration. In general terms, the more successful at keeping water out, the heavier and less flexible footwear is.

not sure whether to buy rain pants or just get a pair of gaiters and wear shorts if it rains!

what do you reckon?
I walk last year starting April 9 finishing in May, had about 4 days of bad rain, from day 2 until day 6. I walk the whole way in shorts.

I did the CF April/May 2018 never needed Rain pants/gaiter... But I may have been lucky. I see them as added weight, not a critical item. IMHO Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

what do you reckon?
I walked the same time as you in 2017. I had rain pants, not super thick ones and they rolled up to a tiny bundle. Well worth taking as it kept my shorts dry and the warmth in. There were a few rain days where the wind was bad also so I kept reasonably dry with these pants. I’m pleased I took them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP starting May 1, 2018. I used my gaiters, rain jacket, rain pants and down jacket on several days along the way. Between Santiago and Finnistere I hit rain, cold and high winds for 3 straight days and would have been hypothermic without this gear. While the conditions you encounter at that time of the year are highly variable -- there is a definite chance you might want both a rain jacket and rain pants. I'm walking the Camino del Norte this spring and will bring the same equipment again.

I suggest that you buy something and try it out at home with at long walk in the rain. Figure out what works for you a try to improve your rain gear from experience. Don't try your gear for the first time on the Camino!

-Paul

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back