• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain pants or not ?

Diane2023

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello ,
I start my Camino Frances in St Jean Pied de Port on April 15th ,(next week) it’s a 40% chance of rain day 🙄I know there will also be other rain days . I am bringing my rain jacket but really can’t decide on the zip up rain pants which if I don’t take I have extra room in my backpack 🙄I’m also wondering. If I’ll be too hot and if it’s worth taking in and out of my back pack for a few hours a day now and again 🤦🏻‍♀️
Please help me back this decision 🙏I don’t want to wear a poncho .
Thanks
Diane

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It depends.

In constantly wet and very cold weather (even if it is just one day) they can be a life saver.

The only time I brought some was on a late autumn Camino (Aragones) because I expected cold temperatures and lots of rain. In the end there were several days with constant snowy rain and intense wind, so I was happy to have brought them.

For a spring Camino I probably wouldn't, but I wear a poncho and usually I'm okay with wet shoes and legs (walking in sandals most of the time).

If you can't decide, you can bring them for the first rainy days to safely cross the pyrenees hills, and send them to Santiago later when you think you don't need them anymore.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I take rain pants. They are good if it gets cold, windy, or wet, and can be worn while you are washing everything else at the laundromat!

Just to add to your agony of indecision, this thread has 49 more posts on the topic. :D The answer is the same for March on the Camino Portugués, or April on the Francés

I pack rain pants. For me they are a key part of any rain protection system. If you don't take them, you are accepting that at least your lower torso, legs and feet will be getting wet, none of which will be pleasant and which increases the risk of you suffering from a cold related condition at any time of the year, but more so in autumn, winter and spring.

I have also found that being able to protect my legs and upper body from chilly early morning winds is a bonus. Having rain pants will give you an extra layer to your lower body to keep you warm that is much easier to remove than, say, thermal underwear.

My question, to myself, is not whether to take them, but whether to take a pair that I know will survive a long day of consistent rain, or a lighter pair that might start to wick through if there is a couple of hours of hard rain. In Spain, that is a little easier, and I have never experienced the full days of steady rain that I have walked in elsewhere. It's not that these won't occur, just that I have never experienced them at the times I have walked in spring and early summer.

I would bring rain pants especially if you wear rain jacket and not poncho (like me)! Often when it rains, it rains. For a whole day of rain on the Camino, a pair of rain pants will be a life saver.

I do tend to feel warmer than many others esp when walking. So if it’s going to be a warm day (anything 10C up) but raining, I would start wearing the rain pants from the start and don’t wear anything else underneath :O and if still too hot I would open the side zips.

This made for a funny moment when taking pics in front of the cathedral. My friend took some awesome ones and then I realised my zip was open until above my knee! So I zipped up and she had to take them all again, but she still took even better ones the second time around 😝

When not used during walking, yes they can be worn while your other pants are washed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used to always take rain pants. Cheapish ones by Berghaus. They were stolen in Abu Dhabi of all places!

I take rain pants. They are good if it gets cold, windy, or wet, and can be worn while you are washing everything else at the laundromat!

Just to add to your agony of indecision, this thread has 49 more posts on the topic. :D The answer is the same for March on the Camino Portugués, or April on the Francés
great answer....especially the laundromat part...

Hi! Diane!
Have you considered a rain Kilt!
Mine is a ULA(ultra light adventure) weighs 70grms and goes in the leg pocket of my shorts;out and on in 20 seconds! (You could be standing in water or two inches of mud when you need it; much easier than trying to stand on one leg and put trousers on)
Worn it in all day heavy rain and stayed dry;comes down to about 4 inches below my knees.(i am 6ft 2inches tall)
I wear non waterproof Hokas and Sealskinz socks; which stood up well, but whatever you wear in heavy rain your feet get wet
I have worn it here in UK down to around 5C didn't suffer.
I also carry a hands free umbrella which helps keep you dry.
Woody

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only time I felt like I needed rainpants in Oct-Nov was on my walk to Finisterre. Otherwise I never saw anyone wear them. I feel the same way about rainpants as I do gaiters - hassle to put on and off and just another thing to keep track that you won’t be using everyday. I think the best on king advice is only bring things you will use everyday, no just in case items.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For me - whether or not to bring rain pants is dependent on temperature range for the season I am walking. In winter month-yes to rain pants. In summer months - no to rain pants. Spring/fall - it depends on the expected temperatures for that month wherever I will be walking. If I can just walk in shorts or a hiking dress I prefer to do that. But I will also walk in quick dry pants.

I think the best on king advice is only bring things you will use everyday, no just in case items.
That might sound good, but there are a few things that I carry, some of which I hope not to use at all. This includes my first aid kit, an emergency blanket, the lightest trowel I was able to find at the time and the end of a roll of toilet paper.

Moreover, one might expect about 10 days of rain or snow in Pamplona in April, slightly fewer in Logrono but increasing again around Burgos. May gets slightly better, but it is not until Jun that one can expect the longer term average days of rain to fall more significantly in most places. I think something that one might use about one day in three based on normal climatic conditions is going to get enough use to warrant carrying. I'll let others make up their own mind on that.

I think that you should take two pair, one for day wear, this should be a bright pink colour or perhaps yellow so that it also helps people find you if you get lost or to help motorists avoid you when you are walking on the side of the road (safety) and the other for evening wear in a more moderate colour just in case you encounter rain in the evening.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! Diane!
Mine is a ULA(ultra light adventure) weighs 70grms and goes in the leg pocket of my shorts;out and on in 20 seconds! (You could be standing in water or two inches of mud when you need it; much easier than trying to stand on one leg and put trousers on)
Worn it in all day heavy rain and stayed dry;comes down to about 4 inches below my knees.(i am 6ft 2inches tall)
I wear non waterproof Hokas and Sealskinz socks; which stood up well, but whatever you wear in heavy rain your feet get wet
Woody
I bought the kilt ! It’s so small and light weight ! I may still
Bring my rain pants but the kilt is so light I’m bring it to try out 🥾☔

That might sound good, but there are a few things that I carry, some of which I hope not to use at all. This includes my first aid kit, an emergency blanket, the lightest trowel I was able to find at the time and the end of a roll of toilet paper.

Moreover, one might expect about 10 days of rain or snow in Pamplona in April, slightly fewer in Logrono but increasing again around Burgos. May gets slightly better, but it is not until Jun that one can expect the longer term average days of rain to fall more significantly in most places. I think something that one might use about one day in three based on normal climatic conditions is going to get enough use to warrant carrying. I'll let others make up their own mind on that.
Thank you! Makes sense 🥾☔👍

I brought a kilt on the Frances - I had lots of rain and never bothered to put it on! Still has never been used.

But I suggest picking one or the other. No need to carry unnecessary weight. One problem is once it stops raining - you have just another wet item to deal with. If it is cold - I will just keep the wet gear on until it dries. It if it warm you will probably want to take it off right away and need somewhere to put it. My rain jacket fits in an outer pocket - but there really isn’t a lot of room for that, sandals, and rain pants.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Wow that was quick!

Try it out before you walk so you know you like it and it does the job for you :) !!!

I made the decision to get the kilt after trying to get my Mamot full zip Precip rain pants on; when there was nothing to lean against!
I looked like a crazy old drunk guy trying to get dressed and not succeeding .🤣
Woody

Hi! Diane!
Woody
For me, if it is warm enough to wear shorts or a kilt, I'm not bothering with rain pants or a rain kilt. I'm just wearing light, quick-dry trousers. If my legs are wet during the rain, so be it. If it is cold enough that I am worried about that, I wouldn’t be in shorts or a kilt.

I always bring my Frogg Togg rain pants. I normally walk in April/May and although I don't need them very often, I am always thankful I have brought them for the occasional cold and rainy days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.