• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain proof gloves necessary in April?

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to start walking from Burgos in early April. Before on my May and September Caminos I just had merino wool gloves. Do any of you have thoughts about a rain proof glove for an earlier spring walk?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have always carried a light pair of liners with me. In the early morning and on rainy days, I’ve enjoyed having had them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I fish the wet weather months on the rivers, I use DWR spray on all my outer gear and pack.

During the season when it starts to wear off, I tumble them in a low setting dryer and the finish is restored.

So I've walked two times in April (same dates/different years) both for 38 days. One time, it rained some part of 75% of the days, another year my rain gear never came out of my pack. I personally don't like the waterproof gloves when using my poles. I take my Smartwool gloves and these waterproof mittens to wear over them that weigh like an ounce.

Attachments

• tempImageVha11q.png
    tempImageVha11q.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 80
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am using gloves only in winter under 0° otherwise i sweat....
May 12th at Cruz de Fero. No gloves as it was a "spring Camino." I froze wearing wet socks on my hands and some people got frostbite that day. Two years later same day, same place....snowed again

Attachments

• A7030324-C242-4646-865C-A10AA155E66C.jpeg
    A7030324-C242-4646-865C-A10AA155E66C.jpeg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 80
May 12th at Cruz de Fero. No gloves as it was a "spring Camino." I froze wearing wet socks on my hands and some people got frostbite that day. Two years later same day, same place....snowed again
I've walked up to Cruz de Fero twice, both in late April 2015 and again in 2017. I had chilly, but nice weather both times.
I do take a pair of $3 Dollar Store fleece gloves that I have used mainly on colder mornings.

End of March 2017, O Ceb. Earlier in the week around Astorga it was hot. My winter running gloves were not enough for this level of cold. I had merino socks over them and it was still awful. I’m taking fleece mittens this time. I think some form of gloves is a necessity for a spring Camino. Anyone know if you can spray fleece with camp dry?

Attachments

• F1CB8E7A-A3F9-42E3-8FF2-652C55080C54.jpeg
    F1CB8E7A-A3F9-42E3-8FF2-652C55080C54.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If it keeps rain out, it keeps sweat in. Sorry, Gortex.
When hiking, your body produces a lot of heat. I climb a lot of mountains in the winter in CO, and hate putting on heavy gloves, as my hands just get wet inside the glove, which leads to cold.
I find it better to hike with breathable wool or fleece and count on my activity to keep me warm. Then, when I stop, I break out the insulating layer and gloves.
I’ve hiked the Camino in April and been in snow and driving rain. I use a pair of Buff fishing gloves. They are light enough to not overheat in the mornings, and warm enough for hiking down to about 25-30*F (with no wind).
They breath to let out the sweat, have dexterity to open a can of beer, magic fingertips to dial your mom on your smartphone (60% of the time), and still keep your hands warm in the rain in the 40s.
If it’s freezing rain and snowing, Then you want winter gloves.
I did find a pair of Black Diamond Polartec gloves with an integrated nylon mitten that pulls over from the wrist cuff. I use them regularly on the mountain down to the 20’s and pull the shell over to cut a 25mph wind and am quite warm and comfortable. I haven’t tested them in the rain, but I imagine the nylon shell is waterproof.
But, and this is a big but. Nothing comfortable is waterproof in long term exposure to rain, especially when subjected to body movement such as arm swinging (changing angles agains the rain) and gripping and re-gripping poles.
If you don’t like walking for 6-7 hours in a nylon sauna and getting wet no matter what you wear, take a rain day.
Buen Camino

I take silk gloves. If it rains I put the poles under my Ikea rain poncho, tie a chord around the waist loosely, so it won’t blow off when gusty and this works fine. The poncho also helps to insulate the hands from the cold as well. The silk gloves dry quickly!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
End of March 2017, O Ceb. Earlier in the week around Astorga it was hot. My winter running gloves were not enough for this level of cold. I had merino socks over them and it was still awful. I’m taking fleece mittens this time. I think some form of gloves is a necessity for a spring Camino. Anyone know if you can spray fleece with camp dry?
I left my merino gloves at home when I walked in July/August of 2017.
It was so cold at O Cebreiro on August 1st that I had to wear socks on my hands. Unfortunately I hadn't packed wool socks, and my hands still froze. Brrrrrr!

On Frances now, liners are plenty.
It is nice to hear that your weather hasn't been too cold and I hope it stays that way. I have rarely seen the weather stay the same across the entire country of Spain on my Camino's, particularly in the spring. If you have not made it to Cruz de Fero or O'Cebrerio yet, I suggest you check the weather forecast. I walked in a white out blizzard in May and was in short sleeves two days later. If anything this discussion shows, is that weather is part of the "Art" of the Camino, is different for different pilgrims and certainly not within our control. Buen Camino! We are all envious that you are on Camino and having good weather.

I am planning to start walking from Burgos in early April. Before on my May and September Caminos I just had merino wool gloves. Do any of you have thoughts about a rain proof glove for an earlier spring walk?
I wore merino wool gloves and bought a pair of lightweight water proof mittens which I used a couple of times when I walked in the rain and one day in a surprise snow shower!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I guess, like me, you have a real reason for considering taking gloves and for asking this question. My chosen waterproof and windproof gloves are from the Porelle range. Perhaps a search under that name might be helpful to you.
Buen (happy-hands) Camino

I carry light gloves plus surgical gloves over top in case of rain. Has worked well for me especially on camino del Norte when it rained 85% of the days.

Most often, my hands stay perfectly warm and comfortable in the rain, no gloves.

If it is cold - whether raining or not - and my fingers are getting cold (which is seldom) then I will put on a thin pair of nitrile exam gloves first, and then put on a pair of polartec power-stretch gloves over the nitrile gloves. I prefer nitrile gloves because they are fairly tough and reusable, but vinyl or latex exam/food handler's gloves will also work.

The nitrile gloves create a vapor barrier. This allows perspiration to stay inside the nitrile glove. Like a wet suit, the vapor barrier will warm any perspiration which keeps hands warm. The outer glove provides additional thermal insulation. If the outer glove becomes wet, the inner nitrile glove provides an additional barrier against the cold wetness reaching the skin.

A lot of folks prefer to put a waterproof glove over the insulating glove, but I do not want to get the insulating glove wet from perspiration if the weather is dry, and if the weather is wet, the thermal, insulating effect of a vapor barrier is missing.

If I am worried about 'pruned skin' or maceration, I will put a light coating of a goop on my hands first - vaseline, BodyGlide, HikeGoo, etc. At breaks, I remove gloves, dry my hands, turn the nitrile gloves inside out and dry them. When ready to go, apply goop, put on the gloves, and start smiling because I get to walk a pilgrimage rain or shine :) .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My experience with waterproof gloves is they can develop leaks, sometimes within a few days, or body moisture condenses on the inside (especially when cold or wet on the outside) - either way one's insulation gets wet and skin cold. The same goes for jackets and sleeping bags.

I've used the following approach in winter - wear a pair of thin water or vapor proof gloves on the inside, maybe over thin fabric gloves for comfort (I have a pair from Stephenson's-Warmlite that combine thin fabric with a vapor barrier, but 'single use' polyethylene or surgical rubber gloves also work, or plastic bags if you're wearing mittens), wear an insulating glove or mitt in the middle, followed by waterproof gloves or mitts on the outside. Insulation stays dry and your hands warm. The humidity near your skin will get high, but is less likely to condense (because it's warm), and even if it does condense your skin stays warm.

The same can be done with foot ware - a thin liner sock, polyethylene vegetable or bread bag, wool socks, followed by another polyethylene bag. Even with very wet boots one's insulation stays dry and feet warm. The liner sock might get damp, but that's a small price to pay for warmth.

Not sure about rain proof but definitely cold proof gloves! Buen Camino

So I've walked two times in April (same dates/different years) both for 38 days. One time, it rained some part of 75% of the days, another year my rain gear never came out of my pack. I personally don't like the waterproof gloves when using my poles. I take my Smartwool gloves and these waterproof mittens to wear over them that weigh like an ounce.
I must say terrific photos Susan!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never worn gloves on the camino, but have never walked in winter. Not sure whether I would need them in winter or not. I would start without, and if I found I needed them I would buy them in Spain.

You can get too tech about this stuff. As a boy in UK I wore short trousers in the winter. Didn't have a choice!

I start walking next week and I'll be taking my neoprene gloves that I use when working my traffic management extra job. Cold hands are miserable as are wet woollen gloves in my opinion plus these are the gloves I have and I don't want to spend out on anything else!

Anything that is rain proof also won't let persperation out, I would think your hands would more easily get cold

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always have a light pair of gloves with me because my hands get cold easy. I did buy a pair of dishwashing gloves in the supermercado to wear over the top of my liners. They made a huge difference after several days in a row of rain. The idea caught in and I saw a few other peregrinos with bright blue, yellow, and green dishwashing gloves ... we all laughed.

I always have a light pair of gloves with me because my hands get cold easy. I did buy a pair of dishwashing gloves in the supermercado to wear over the top of my liners. They made a huge difference after several days in a row of rain. The idea caught in and I saw a few other peregrinos with bright blue, yellow, and green dishwashing gloves ... we all laughed.
That is funny and also a great reflection of the spirit along the Camino.

That’s brilliant as a quick last minute solution!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.