• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain protection - ( Overkill ? or cut back to save some weight?)

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
I’m walking in March ( first in Italy ) then the Sanabrés from March 20.
I’m trying to reduce pack weight as I’ve got a back problem.

I’ve got 3 types of poncho to choose from,
Altus poncho ; sea 2 summit ultra sil tarp poncho; and Frogg toggs poncho. So I don’t want poncho recommendations.

My query is:
Is it overkill ; for all 3 rain protection below ?
- (a) to wear a light rain jacket ( good wind & cold protection when it’s not raining )
- (b) a back pack cover ? My pack doesn’t have one built in.
- (C) a poncho ?

I’m wondering if I need the backpack cover ?

Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow! I've walked caminos from April - December, and am about to start on the Francigena in Italy next month in March. On all my caminos, I've always had some rain, and can't imagine going without rain gear. Especially so in March, when it will be cold and your rain jacket will double as a regular jacket. And the pack cover seems to be a no-brainer, as it only weighs an ounce or two and will keep your pack and the clothes inside dry. You certainly don't need, however, a poncho and a rain jacket. The rain jacket should suffice, and as noted, will double as a jacket to keep you warm.

Three is overkill, in my opinion.

The S2S looks like the right thing for a single item, assuming this is what you're talking about:

I like those better than jacket/bag cover combo because the pack covers seem to not always get every corner covered and rain finds its way in. Meanwhile, rain jackets tend to only cover to your waste. That's my preference.

If you can stand a little more weight, the light jacket you mention would be good as a second option used for light passing rain and/or wind, and also can be worn under the S2S poncho during heavy downpour.

I'm curious, though, your profile lists quite a few Caminos so it appears you have a fair amount of experience. What did you do on prior walks and why are you (re)considering 3 rain items?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow! I've walked caminos from April - December, and am about to start on the Francigena in Italy next month in March. On all my caminos, I've always had some rain, and can't imagine going without rain gear. Especially so in March, when it will be cold and your rain jacket will double as a regular jacket. And the pack cover seems to be a no-brainer, as it only weighs an ounce or two and will keep your pack and the clothes inside dry. You certainly don't need, however, a poncho and a rain jacket. The rain jacket should suffice, and as noted, will double as a jacket to keep you warm.
Thanks Andy but the poncho IS my preferred all over cover. I’ve just received the Frogg toggs. from overseas (Online).
Previously I’ve used cover and poncho ..
Just to be sure ... but the quality of the frogg toggs material makes me doubt the need to cover my pack below it.

I will chew over your recommendations though. Always room to change ideas

Thanks
Annie

Three is overkill, in my opinion.

The S2S looks like the right thing for a single item, assuming this is what you're talking about:

I like those better than jacket/bag cover combo because the pack covers seem to not always get every corner covered and rain finds its way in. Meanwhile, rain jackets tend to only cover to your waste. That's my preference.

If you can stand a little more weight, the light jacket you mention would be good as a second option used for light passing rain and/or wind, and also can be worn under the S2S poncho during heavy downpour.

I'm curious, though, your profile lists quite a few Caminos so it appears you have a fair amount of experience. What did you do on prior walks and why are you (re)considering 3 rain items?
Thanks Lucho
As above I’ve previously used the 3. Jacket, packcover and poncho. Everything kept dry.
I’ve just received the delivery of my Frogg Togg poncho yesterday and quality looks very very rain proof. So although the pack cover doesn’t weigh much - thought to leave it (pack cover) at home. That’s the bottom line of the query. Doesn’t weigh a lot but it all adds up.
Ps. I lost my rain cover last year heading to Tábara on Sanabrés. Wind just ‘took’ and I didn’t feel it go.

Also the sea to summit is a nightmare in the wind.
I’ve since learned to put a tie around the waist.
The Altus I found was getting a bit old.

Thanks
Annie

Annie.

Strange coincidence I just received my frogg poncho today ( Great minds etc..) as you might know going in May, going with Frogg, light fleece, and pack cover.
To be sure caught out to many times so your plan looks good.

Does the frogg look strong enough to you??

Bene Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I saw many pilgrims having trouble trying to put on a poncho in the wind unless they were walking with a companion. That said, I took a rain jacket that also served as a windbreaker (and an extra layer) when needed. My first pack needed a pack cover, my second has one built in. I had LOTS of rain, my tech pants got wet but they dried quickly no matter how wet, often before I finished checking into the albergue for the day.
I would just take a rain jacket and a pack cover. Buen Camino!
👣

My prefered option is a foldable rain jacket. I have the most basic one from Decathlon for like 8 euros and I used it for the last 3 caminos and it is still okay. For the rucksack I use the one I got with mine. They can be bought separately for around 5 euros. They provide extra space under it for lets say an emergency pack of crisps

I don't think those three items are overkill. I used to walk with rain jacket + backpack cover, and that works fine for drizzle and light showers ... UNTIL it starts absolutely pitching rain, and then it might not be enough. Waterproof jackets can lose their finish over the course of a long walk and water can seep in around places where there has been rubbing, such as shoulders. But putting on a big poncho every time there is precipitation means you may be walking in a steam tent on days when that high level of protection isn't needed. Last time, after getting soaked through (and eventually catching pneumonia!) I bought a poncho to deal with the worst weather and also to provide more warmth. Leaving 2 April and I will have my Montane Minimus jacket (191g), rain kilt (54g), pack cover (91g), and lightweight but full-length poncho (290g). I think it was dragging into Santiago with pneumonia that makes me think this 'extra' weight it worth it (for me). I will wear 2kg and carry 6kg on my back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I ditch my rucksack rain covers and use the pocket for something else. The lasat time I used one, on a very wet crossing of the Pyrenees, I found water had soaked into my pack from the frame side as it found its way between my waterproof jacket and the pack.
In March I'd go for my Altus (you can always "kilt up" the skirt section) or my German LifeAdventure poncho (snaps along the sides so you can vent but has a snap fastener between the legs too) and a light jacket.
It's Europe, it's late winter/early spring- you want to stay dry and warm!

I don't think those three items are overkill. I used to walk with rain jacket + backpack cover, and that works fine for drizzle and light showers ... UNTIL it starts absolutely pitching rain, and then it might not be enough. Waterproof jackets can lose their finish over the course of a long walk and water can seep in around places where there has been rubbing, such as shoulders. But putting on a big poncho every time there is precipitation means you may be walking in a steam tent on days when that high level of protection isn't needed. Last time, after getting soaked through (and eventually catching pneumonia!) I bought a poncho to deal with the worst weather and also to provide more warmth. Leaving 2 April and I will have my Montane Minimus jacket (191g), rain kilt (54g), pack cover (91g), and lightweight but full-length poncho (290g). I think it was dragging into Santiago with pneumonia that makes me think this 'extra' weight it worth it (for me). I will wear 2kg and carry 6kg on my back.
Thanks for that reply Alice .
I had worded my query incorrectly but you’ve given me answer I was looking for.
That is: does anyone use pack cover AND poncho . I agree about the jacket in heavy rain starts to seep wet when it’s a bit older. I’ve just tried re-Proofing it. I haven’t had a chance to test it.
I guess for the 90grms the pack cover weighs .? It might as well have another free ride.
Just trying to get my weight low like I read other ‘minimalists’ achieve. Good to read your total carry weight. Thanks.
My sea to summit tarp poncho weighs 190gms (although it says in the pkg 230!!).
My new Frogg togg poncho weighs 241gms but it looks very strong.
As you say : it’s the TIME you get a deluge that I’ll be happy I’m protected.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience

Annie

Last edited:
Annie.

Strange coincidence I just received my frogg poncho today ( Great minds etc..) as you might know going in May, going with Frogg, light fleece, and pack cover.
To be sure caught out to many times so your plan looks good.

Does the frogg look strong enough to you??

Bene Camino
So Michael
That’s great. What do you think of your Frogg?
I see you’ll have your cover under it. So another using cover + poncho.
I think in May it will be warmer than March so I’d agree with your choice.
The Frogg looks good and strong. Mine weighs 241gms.

Only a bit over a week to go for me
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I ditch my rucksack rain covers and use the pocket for something else. The lasat time I used one, on a very wet crossing of the Pyrenees, I found water had soaked into my pack from the frame side as it found its way between my waterproof jacket and the pack.
In March I'd go for my Altus (you can always "kilt up" the skirt section) or my German LifeAdventure poncho (snaps along the sides so you can vent but has a snap fastener between the legs too) and a light jacket.
It's Europe, it's late winter/early spring- you want to stay dry and warm!
Well hello Mr Crawley
Great to hear from you.
I’m not sure what the ‘skirt section ‘of the Altus is though ?
Thanks for the reminder : “ it’s Europe late winter/early spring “ and I do want to stay warm and dry !!
Thankyou Jeff

Annie

My Altus over a wool sweater keeps me toasty warm when walking in the rain. It also keeps my pack dry. I’d leave the pack cover behind.
Hi Annie
How old is your Altus ? I’ve re-Proofed mine (not sure it’s possible though ). There are also some seams or rather the taping looking a bit loose - so I was concerned about it.
May get under the shower tomorrow and test it
If you haven’t seen the Frogg toggs poncho though - for the price . Worth checking out.
Thanks again

Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Andy but the poncho IS my preferred all over cover. I’ve just received the Frogg toggs. from overseas (Online).
Just to be sure ... but the quality of the frogg toggs material makes me doubt the need to cover my pack below it.

Thanks
Annie
I have used some frogg togg products, rain suit and gloves, in the past. They did not hold up well for me. This year I skipped a jacket deciding to use the altus poncho for everything. Worked out fine.

Altus poncho ; sea 2 summit ultra sil tarp poncho; and Frogg toggs poncho. So I don’t want poncho recommendations.

My query is:
- (a) to wear a light rain jacket ( good wind & cold protection when it’s not raining )
- (C) a poncho ?

Annie
I'd ditch all three ponchos and purchase one THE PACKA. Fabulous rain jacket that can be put on and taken off without removing your pack. Oversize pouch on the back of the jacket covers your pack without distorting the fit of the jacket. Pouch is made with a different fabric than the jacket; impervious to water. Jacket breathes well, has pit zips for additional ventilation, and can serve as a jacket or shirt. Light weight and extremely well constructed. Not cheap, but once you have a THE PACKA, you'll likely never go back to a poncho. Best wishes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks
Annie
My son always uses the Frogg Togg poncho on all of his trekking jaunts. It covers over his pack sufficiently and he does not use a pack rain cover.

I like having the pack cover on the bag even with a poncho over top. It allows for bag protection when the bag needs to come off to be placed in a wet chair or on wet ground.

I don’t use a rain jacket. I have an ultralight wind breaker that serves to repel a light drizzle if I’m out and about in the evenings.

I'd ditch all three ponchos and purchase one THE PACKA. Fabulous rain jacket that can be put on and taken off without removing your pack. Oversize pouch on the back of the jacket covers your pack without distorting the fit of the jacket. Pouch is made with a different fabric than the jacket; impervious to water. Jacket breathes well, has pit zips for additional ventilation, and can serve as a jacket or shirt. Light weight and extremely well constructed. Not cheap, but once you have a THE PACKA, you'll likely never go back to a poncho. Best wishes.
Hi Jane
I did look at the packa. The videos I watched were impressive .
I mentioned on another thread that the ‘international shipping costs ‘was US$38.

I copied this from the packa site :

US shipping is $8.00 and international shipping is $38.00 for one.
US shipping for two Packas is $10.00 and $42.50 international

When I visit USA next I will probably get one.

Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My son always uses the Frogg Togg poncho on all of his trekking jaunts. It covers over his pack sufficiently and he does not use a pack rain cover.
I’m glad you chimed in Chrissy.
I thought I remembered that you had a Frogg Togg. But it was your son. Thanks ‘no cover below works ‘.

Annie

I like having the pack cover on the bag even with a poncho over top. It allows for bag protection when the bag needs to come off to be placed in a wet chair or on wet ground.

I don’t use a rain jacket. I have an ultralight wind breaker that serves to repel a light drizzle if I’m out and about in the evenings.
Hmm. Yes , swapping the rain jacket for the ultralight wind jacket below might be a good idea to cut the weight too. Good one !
Annie

I’m glad you chimed in Chrissy.
I thought I remembered that you had a Frogg Togg. But it was your son. Thanks ‘no cover below works ‘.

Annie
Hi Annie, we both use Frogg Toggs...he the poncho, me the rain suit, although I don't have to don the pants often...only in a very cold rain which I can count on two fingers, but I still bring them!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone has a solution. Mine(a repeat) is waterproof stuff sacks (different colors ) a rain jacket as they are multi use. Leggings (can double as thermals and dry quickly) with light shorts (sleepwear, swimwear). If you choose all three on your list, post a success list later.

Everyone has a solution. Mine(a repeat) is waterproof stuff sacks (different colors ) a rain jacket as they are multi use. Leggings (can double as thermals and dry quickly) with light shorts (sleepwear, swimwear). If you choose all three on your list, post a success list later.
I’ll let you know when I return ; just what I did use and whether it worked.
Annie

Well hello Mr Crawley
Great to hear from you.
I’m not sure what the ‘skirt section ‘of the Altus is though ?
Thanks for the reminder : “ it’s Europe late winter/early spring “ and I do want to stay warm and dry !!
Thankyou Jeff

Annie
It's the hemline Annie - you haul it up to waist level like the medieval monks did so they wouldn't get a dirty habit ;)

I copied the idea from Rachel @Camino2010 who posted a couple of photographs HERE

I tuck the bottom inwards under the waistband of my rucksack front and rear and you end up with a jacket length waterproof that still keeps your pack dry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Go with the Poncho. I have an Altus that covers everything. A cover for your backpack is very unreliable for many people as it can have gaps and water getting in. A rain jacket means you need a pack cover. If it is cold you can always wear your poncho as it affords pretty decent insulation. You will see once you start walking you will need less cold weather protection than you think. Walking a long distance is pretty good cold weather protection in itself.

Hi Annie,

I walked several caminos last September and brought a raincoat, Frogg Toggs poncho (modified with sewn sides and a full-length zipper), and a cheap, lightweight $1 plastic poncho. On days where it was just spitting rain but cold I would wear my rain jacket and just put the poncho over the backpack (basically the pack would 'wear' the poncho - I would drap it over the pack, then pull out the shoulder straps thru the poncho's arm holes and tuck down the hood). I'd never taken a rain jacket before, always using an Altus, but I liked this combination of protection as I did, on many occasions, use the rain jacket for warmth.

Hi Annie
How old is your Altus ? I’ve re-Proofed mine (not sure it’s possible though ). There are also some seams or rather the taping looking a bit loose - so I was concerned about it.
May get under the shower tomorrow and test it
If you haven’t seen the Frogg toggs poncho though - for the price . Worth checking out.
Thanks again

Annie
In regards to your Altus taping. I have used the same Altus poncho (I think I paid about 25 Euros for it in Madrid in 2012 so it is not a real high end poncho) for all 5 of my caminos. I doubt that I have much taping left. I probably pulled the last of it off last November. I had more rain on this camino than probably the other 4 put together. I sweated some as I always do, but not as much as it was really cold most of the time. But I stayed dry and most importantly my pack stayed dry thoughout the camino. I definitely had either rain most of the day or at least part of the day at least 70% of the time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Along the coast I did that rain jacket backpack rainproofed and then with a cover and a large hunting poncho I found second hand. If you only use your jacke and the backpack cover you still have your straps getting wet. Not good.
I had all my maps and Emergency contacts and important telephone numbers laminated and my stuff in the backpack in dry bags.
So pending on the wettness I took lAyer after layer off they where not realy heavy and I carried then under my compression straps.
Well I guess the movie the way when everything fell into a river impressed me, but on some stages I almost swam in the rain. Plus I used to kajak in my youth so old habits 😉

Last edited:
When you walking in Italy close to the Alps it can be pretty cold. Plus what I saw from the west coast in Italy they realy have Mikro climate so it can rain and being very dramatic Italians like drama and 10 km further warm and sunny to hot . Wind comes in from the sea . Same the cold wind coming in from the Alps in the Veneto. Ah and the hiking markers are a challenge if the exist are very ambiguou. Plus all distance traffic signes are more an estimate. Ah the Famous FiLiPi signes go both ways pending where you want to go, but the signes will not help. Further south mileages will show at least on the car road the distance to Rome.
Good to know all the water spouts in Rome that have a little hole on top a drinking water spa quality no need to buy water in Rome. Most food stores have bathroom ask for the key at the chashiers.
in the bars there are 3 different prices for coffee. Cheapest at the bar inside, that what most Italians do, then more sitting in and most sitting outside. in the bakeries pizza are sold by weight not cheep. Better go to pizzeria. Ha so much fun I am happy for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's the hemline Annie - you haul it up to waist level like the medieval monks did so they wouldn't get a dirty habit ;)

I copied the idea from Rachel @Camino2010 who posted a couple of photographs HERE

I tuck the bottom inwards under the waistband of my rucksack front and rear and you end up with a jacket length waterproof that still keeps your pack dry.
Aha. Must admit / when I wore my (also green) Altus ., I did the tucking and tying thing rather than try to get it off. And doing that / it’s there ‘at the ready ‘ to pull down again if weather changes. Now as I’m writing this I realise that this is probably how the ‘packa’ poncho was thought up.
Annie

When you walking in Italy close to the Alps it can be pretty cold. Plus what I saw from the west coast in Italy they realy have Mikro climate so it can rain and being very dramatic Italians like drama and 10 km further warm and sunny to hot . Wind comes in from the sea . Same the cold wind coming in from the Alps in the Veneto. Ah and the hiking markers are a challenge if the exist are very ambiguou. Plus all distance traffic signes are more an estimate. Ah the Famous FiLiPi signes go both ways pending where you want to go, but the signes will not help. Further south mileages will show at least on the car road the distance to Rome.
Good to know all the water spouts in Rome that have a little hole on top a drinking water spa quality no need to buy water in Rome. Most food stores have bathroom ask for the key at the chashiers.
in the bars there are 3 different prices for coffee. Cheapest at the bar inside, that what most Italians do, then more sitting in and most sitting outside. in the bakeries pizza are sold by weight not cheep. Better go to pizzeria. Ha so much fun I am happy for you.
Thankyou. I love the tips for the Italian part. !
First small taste walking in Italy part so much appreciated.
Annie

Just one thing to consider : I used a rain jacket and pack cover walking in Italy on my third camino...because the pack is worn over the jacket, the padded shoulder harness and hip belt were saturated and didn't dry for days despite trying to put near any heat source I could find. It was miserable. I won't go that route again!

I've since walked with the pack cover ( which for me is not at all a significant amount of weight to consider leaving behind ) and a lightweight poncho. In colder weather I'll bring my Altus, but its way too hot for warmer months. I do bring other layers, either a lightweight windbreaker or packable down depending on weather.
I also kept my pack cover on in early mornings where it was foggy/misty before the sun came up....not enough to put on rain gear, but wanted to keep pack really dry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

My query is:
- (C) a poncho ?

Annie
If you walk in March, poncho and jacket. No need for backpack cover.
Poncho alone too cool. I would take a fleecy windstopper/ or down puffer jacket that offers warmth and light drizzle protection, put sea to summit poncho on when it rains. Have a couple of merino layers under that and a silk singlet. My proven combo.
10 000 plus km on pilgrim trails over last 14 years. Trust me.

If you walk in March, poncho and jacket. No need for backpack cover.
Poncho alone too cool. I would take a fleecy windstopper/ or down puffer jacket that offers warmth and light drizzle protection, put sea to summit poncho on when it rains. Have a couple of merino layers under that and a silk singlet. My proven combo.
10 000 plus km on pilgrim trails over last 14 years. Trust me.
Ha ha. I do trust you!
I was giving out the ‘rain protection stuff ‘ I was trying to choose combo from.
You wouldn’t find me leaving home without my warm stuff ? I don’t like being cold. During the day when walking I prefer the cold as the internal fire is stoked by walking ; however when not walking ‘ I need to feel warm ‘.
I’m still deciding on ‘which’ warm stuff but last year I took a very super light short down jacket. - will still take it this year.
Some of this stuff like merino tops or /light fleece etc don’t weigh much. I’m doing that list right now. Ps. Where do you find silk singlets. ? I think it sounds luxurious but I’m happy with merino

One other thing I didn’t mention before which gets wet: gloves. I have a selection to choose from but if it rains ., one also needs to keep them dry. Previously when it rain (last year in sea 2 summit poncho) I brought my hands back inside the poncho and kept my poles under my arm. Sort of a walking huddle .. I don’t want to outlay megabucks here for super duper rain proof ones ; it has been suggested to carry kitchen gloves to put over them when walking. 2 uses then for the kitchen gloves. Use when doing washing cleaning etc too.

What do you use for hands. ?
Thanks
Annie

Last edited:
Ha ha. I do trust you!
I was giving out the ‘rain protection stuff ‘ I was trying to choose combo from.
You would have me leaving home without my warm stuff ? I don’t like being cold. During the day when walking I prefer the cold as the internal fire is stoked by walking ; however when not walking ‘ I need to feel warm ‘.
I’m still deciding on ‘which’ warm stuff but I took a very super light short down jacket. - will still take it this year.
Some of this stuff like merino tops or /light fleece etc don’t weigh much. I’m doing that list right now. Ps. Where do you find silk singlets. ? I think it sounds luxurious but I’m happy with merino

One other thing I didn’t mention before which gets wet: gloves. I have a selection to choose from but if it rains ., one also needs to keep them dry. Previously when it rain (last year in sea 2 summit poncho) I brought my hands back inside the poncho and kept my poles under my arm. Sort of a walking huddle .. I don’t want to outlay megabucks here for super duper rain proof ones ; it has been suggested to carry kitchen gloves to put over them when walking. 2 uses then for the kitchen gloves. Use when doing washing cleaning etc too.

What do you use for hands. ?
Thanks
Annie
I haven't had to use gloves...there are very lightweight silk ones...or thin merino ones...

I haven't had to use gloves...there are very lightweight silk ones...or thin merino ones...
Ok. Rain protection only...I prefer merino leggings with shorts over and poncho. Merino keeps you warm if wet and you can use it for evenings or pj pants. You sweat under rain pants, so wet anyway., dont see the point of them and such a hassle putting them on...

Just one thing to consider : I used a rain jacket and pack cover walking in Italy on my third camino...because the pack is worn over the jacket, the padded shoulder harness and hip belt were saturated and didn't dry for days despite trying to put near any heat source I could find. It was miserable. I won't go that route again!

I've since walked with the pack cover ( which for me is not at all a significant amount of weight to consider leaving behind ) and a lightweight poncho. In colder weather I'll bring my Altus, but its way too hot for warmer months. I do bring other layers, either a lightweight windbreaker or packable down depending on weather.
I also kept my pack cover on in early mornings where it was foggy/misty before the sun came up....not enough to put on rain gear, but wanted to keep pack really dry.
Hi Sophie
Since 2013 I’ve used a poncho for same reason you changed. Not wanting rain going down between my jacket and pack ..
I think an umbrella could work too but when I did try umbrella it was too windy and I judged that (for me ) it wasn’t worth the weight. I still look at posts about them with interest though.

After a few years of caminos ; some of my gear is ‘ageing’ and I’m not ready to shell out big money at the moment on upgrading to super weather proof jacket etc. I’ve just given my recently re-proofed rain jacket and Altus poncho a test in some rain an hour ago. A bit wetting through in patches.
Having a choice makes it harder to choose..

Thanks
Annie

Hi Sophie
Since 2013 I’ve used a poncho for same reason you changed. Not wanting rain going down between my jacket and pack ..
I think an umbrella could work too but when I did try umbrella it was too windy and I judged that (for me ) it wasn’t worth the weight. I still look at posts about them with interest though.

After a few years of caminos ; some of my gear is ‘ageing’ and I’m not ready to shell out big money at the moment on upgrading to super weather proof jacket etc. I’ve just given my recently re-proofed rain jacket and Altus poncho a test in some rain an hour ago. A bit wetting through in patches.
Having a choice makes it harder to choose..

Thanks
Annie
I def recommend silk singlet plus 2 merino layers plus fleece or down jacket, merino gloves long, so you can move jacket sleeves up under poncho edge, merino leggings, wear shorts over and sea to summit nanosil poncho. Perfect combo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok. Rain protection only...I prefer merino leggings with shorts over and poncho. Merino keeps you warm if wet and you can use it for evenings or pj pants. You sweat under rain pants, so wet anyway., dont see the point of them and such a hassle putting them on...
Interesting about the rain pants ...
Some people feel they act like a good wind/rain/cold barrier.

I have ready to pack my merino leggings. I also usually sleep in them when cold. The time of year I’m walking and where I’m walking ( Italy in early March and Sanabrés later in March ) I’m sure I’ll be using them every night plus stand by for day ,,
I don’t wear shorts. Too self conscious.
Thanks
Annie

I have ready to pack my merino leggings. I also usually sleep in them when cold. The time of year I’m walking and where I’m walking ( Italy in early March and Sanabrés later in March ) I’m sure I’ll be using them every night plus stand by for day ,,
Thanks
Annie
Shorts are a kiwi thing and liberating. I love my legs getting red with wet and cold. Wards off varicose veins. May be you should take the Frogg pants and the sea to summit poncho....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Shorts are a kiwi thing and liberating. I love my legs getting red with wet and cold. Wards off varicose veins. May be you should take the Frogg pants and the sea to summit poncho....
This is getting lengthy but may help others.
For my gear of which I already have too much choice. I just purchased new -the Frogg poncho / I don’t have the pants.. ( I do have some other lightweight rain pants tho )
I also have the sea 2 summit poncho you recommend but found the wind kept bursting the snaps both years i used it. I did read a tip on forum recently though from Davebugg and Chrissy / to use a Tie around the middle as a belt which could also be doubled up as a clothesline..

I do admire some pilgrims who ‘get this all right ‘ first time out. I’ve been working on getting mine better each year since 2012. A sad case !

This is getting lengthy but may help others.
For my gear of which I already have too much choice. I just purchased new -the Frogg poncho / I don’t have the pants.. ( I do have some other lightweight rain pants tho )
I also have the sea 2 summit poncho you recommend but found the wind kept bursting the snaps both years i used it. I did read a tip on forum recently though from Davebugg and Chrissy / to use a Tie around the middle as a belt which could also be doubled up as a clothesline..

I do admire some pilgrims who ‘get this all right ‘ first time out. I’ve been working on getting mine better each year since 2012. A sad case !
Not a sad case! On to it and sensible! I never pop the snaps on poncho open, they tear. Just pull the poncho over my head. Belt great idea. Different caminoes, countries, seasons, weather conditions, moods, body shapes, health needs, injuries, terrains, new products, wear and tear all demand ongoing tweaking of gear. Been there, done that and doing it again...over and over with zeal and zest and a bit of money, ouch...!

Last edited:
2018. Camino via de la plata was so cold that people used their socks for clothes, but is was exceptional cold. They do sell stuff in Spain.
here a link to the other forum
https://www.viafrancigena.me/ good tips for Italy.

€60,-
2018. Camino via de la plata was so cold that people used their socks for clothes, but is was exceprionel cold. They do sell stuff in Spain.
here a link to the other forum
https://www.viafrancigena.me/ good tips for Italy.
Haha. I put socks between 2 pairs of undies as ear covers and sun hat on top on a cold blustery day.

Got a picture of it?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks
Annie
No need to feel self-conscious - you'll likely be among strangers and you may never walk that route again.
Besides that, we won't tell on you ;)

Also the sea to summit is a nightmare in the wind.
I’ve since learned to put a tie around the waist.
The Altus I found was getting a bit old.

Thanks
Annie

G'day Annie,

I have a Sea2Summit Ultra-Sil poncho, and I had been agonising about getting The Packa or an Altus, precisely because I hate it flapping in the wind.
Thanks to Davebugg, who posted instructions on how to modify the poncho to include ties, I am now keeping my poncho and using the ties.

Although this won't stop me having a look at the Altus at the Boutique du Pèlerin in SJPdP when I'm there :)

I've never had a pack cover, as the poncho did the job, even when flapping around.

Buen Camino!
Andrew

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In regards to your Altus taping. I have used the same Altus poncho (I think I paid about 25 Euros for it in Madrid in 2012 so it is not a real high end poncho) for all 5 of my caminos. I doubt that I have much taping left. I probably pulled the last of it off last November. I had more rain on this camino than probably the other 4 put together. I sweated some as I always do, but not as much as it was really cold most of the time. But I stayed dry and most importantly my pack stayed dry thoughout the camino. I definitely had either rain most of the day or at least part of the day at least 70% of the time.
Most likely to be €50+ now - los tiempos cambian, los precios suben

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but there are a few other considerations ,which in my experience ( Frances), made a huge difference in bad weather. First, only wear or take things that will not distract your concentration when walking ( a big deal for me at age 70!). A poncho in any wind /rain is a distraction because you will fight it from billowing or ballooning in every which direction, and every time you try to correct the situation you will either get more wet, or not pay attention to your next step. This is exactly what happened to my friend who joined me on the Camino. He envied my rain jacket, but as it turned out I had also made a mistake wearing an expensive " waterproof /breathable jacket".
What I learned is that no matter how cold or hot it was, I fought perspiration which is just another form of getting wet! Modern materials which claim to be breathable do not release perspiration, and the only solution I found ( on the fly) was to cut slits under the armpits. Those two 5cm slits made all the difference because it allowed excess body heat to escape and thus control the sweat. I was both bone dry and comfortable in all conditions. I have since bought a new lightweight North Face rain jacket with two long zippers extending from half way under the arms to about half way down the torso, and I can't wait to wear it on my second Camino....
Finally, try a buff. It kept rain out and was a warm addition....

jimavro
this is a cold weather version of your ventilated jacket that doesn't even try to keep out the rain
instead it creates a tropical microclimate next to the skin
I think you would like it

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most likely to be €50+ now - los tiempos cambian, los precios suben
You are right. I just looked at the Caminoteca website that is in Pamplona. I am sure their prices are a little higher than what you would pay in a Decathlon or other large chain. The atmospheric S3 which looks like my poncho is 48 Euros.

I always line my backpack with a white trash compactor bag. No need for dry bags.
Ditto: Even though my backpack states it is waterproof, I also throw in a plastic compactor trash bag so no worries-everything in the pack is in it. I don't carry anything on the outside that cannot tolerate the rain. It worked on the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail also. Can't beat it.

My query is:
- (C) a poncho ?

Annie
The backpack cover definitely. I took one poncho whick I carried for 36 days and wore once. I sweated so much under it I would have been better to leave it off. Walked in Sept/Oct so it was warm in the rain. Take the lightest poncho or a rain jacket.

€60,-

My query is:
- (C) a poncho ?

Annie
April2020 SJPdP / CdS (fingers crossed)
70g = My BP Cover. It will say on at all times (keeps Bag clean/Dry)
150g = My Outdoor Research Jacket ... some rain/wind/warmth
230g = My SeaToSummit Poncho

At 450g, I see them as covering foreseeable options.

Buen Camino!
BruceS

Last edited:
Hi Annie

I found that Spanish rain was lighter (albeit longer in duration) than the rain that I am accustomed to. On the Frances in April I managed with a lightweight, waist-length Goretex jacket (400g) plus a rain "kilt" (80g). I never got uncomfortably wet. (This contrasts with the Goretex japara that I use in places like Tasmania and NZ which is knee-length and weighs 750g).

Getting your pack contents wet can be a big drama and pack covers are not 100% effective, so I used a high quality Macpac dry bag (90g) as a pack liner in addition to the cover that came with the pack. The cover blew off at one point anyway and trailed behind me like a kite on its cord.

Cheers

Annie, I do hope you get enough rain to justify carrying all three. I would. You have a bad back? Ditch something else. I am at this moment reliving the circa 4 hours of wind and rain on the Ingles last August. The lightest, very visible wind/rain jacket - no big name or price; the inbuilt pack cover, the no name poncho bought in 2006 in a shop called Muga in Pamplona. As for legs, I usually just wear the pants section of the trousers, sun or rain. Skin dries quickly. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.