• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain, rainwear, and blisters

Americanperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2012
May 2016
I'm in Los Arcos! There's been a little rain for the past few days. Nothing major, but, enough to test your chosen rain gear. For me, it's rain pants and rain jacket. The pants protect my socks which, prevents blisters. For others who chose rain gear that left the socks exposed, it's blisterville. Something to think about.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I hope you staying dry. We have been walking since April one stopping for 2-3 days in major cities on the Camino. It has rained a great deal this year so say many locals. I see people wearing both jackets and pants, and ponchos and pants or gaiters. Both seem to work well. However I would say to wear what covers the top of your boot. People wearing tights and boots or shoes get rain running into the shoe, if it's goretex lined the water does not come out. Recently I'm seeing many who start in Sarria wearing low profile running she's etc. Those are not working at all wet feet and your right blisters and cold feet.
We are wearing rain pants and rain jackets you have to slow down enjoy the rain and walk slowly or you get hot and clammy no matter what your wearing. We are coming to Santiago in a few days. We figured that we had our rain gear on for wind, rain, sleet, or warmth at least 45% of the time.

Buen Camino

Deb and Rob

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi I hope you staying dry. We have been walking since April one stopping for 2-3 days in major cities on the Camino. It has rained a great deal this year so say many locals. I see people wearing both jackets and pants, and ponchos and pants or gaiters. Both seem to work well. However I would say to wear what covers the top of your boot. People wearing tights and boots or shoes get rain running into the shoe, if it's goretex lined the water does not come out. Recently I'm seeing many who start in Sarria wearing low profile running she's etc. Those are not working at all wet feet and your right blisters and cold feet.
We are wearing rain pants and rain jackets you have to slow down enjoy the rain and walk slowly or you get hot and clammy no matter what your wearing. We are coming to Santiago in a few days. We figured that we had our rain gear on for wind, rain, sleet, or warmth at least 45% of the time.

Buen Camino

Deb and Rob
I am impressed & yes you have had a much wetter year than I had in 2014, 2013 was like what you have experienced. I had 3-4 days of heavy rain. It points out you never know until you show up. I agree with the coat/pant rain gear but for folks thinking about this for the future Event or Goretex pants/coats breathe much better but are expensive.
Buen Camino
Keith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Question. Since ya'll have talked me into trail shoes, poncho nor rain pants actually prevent water from running into socks. So if that is blisterville, am I obligated to use gators to protect from run off? I have only hiked in mid- boots before this

I have months of research just to select what I'm taking in just a few weeks to the camino. Because I'm starting in june 4 I decided for light runners. Now I'm scared this choice is the wrong one. I don't think I should select new footware (waterproof boots) at this time, so soon to leave. What you think??? I live in the caribean so I don't handle cold very good so just watching the actual temperatures I have been making last minute changes but is not so easy to change the shoe selection.

I have months of research just to select what I'm taking in just a few weeks to the camino. Because I'm starting in june 4 I decided for light runners. Now I'm scared this choice is the wrong one. I don't think I should select new footware (waterproof boots) at this time, so soon to leave. What you think??? I live in the caribean so I don't handle cold very good so just watching the actual temperatures I have been making last minute changes but is not so easy to change the shoe selection.
Stay with your choice! It will be warm. Much of what you are reading is from folks walking a cold spring.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Just make sure you carry socks enough to change if your feet get soggy.

I have made the francés this April with many rainy days, i have used ventilated trekking shoes (mesh inside, mesh outside), and no blisters anywhere.

Vaseline helps, aswell.

Socks should be coolmax type, never use cotton socks if you think it's going to rain or if you sweat a lot. Wet cotton is like an emery to your skin.

Question. Since ya'll have talked me into trail shoes, poncho nor rain pants actually prevent water from running into socks. So if that is blisterville, am I obligated to use gators to protect from run off? I have only hiked in mid- boots before this
Sorry, but don't blame other forum members for the gear choices you have made. You talked yourself into those, having filtered advice you might have seen here.

On the subject of raingear, my wife and I are walking now, and our preferred choice of waterproof mid-height boots, wind-proof rain jacket and rain pants is working well. The rain pants cover the tops of our boots and stop any run-off into the boot. We are slow walkers, so sweat buildup under our waterproofs has not been a problem.

In previous years I have worn gaiters to protect the top of the boots, and if I had chosen to use a poncho instead of the jacket and pants combination, I would have taken gaitors again.

Or you can accept that your feet will get wet if it rains, not bother with waterproof footwear, and pay careful attention to catch any incipient blisters while they are still just hotspots.

I would stay with your choice too. June is very different than this particular May and April. We expected this and were prepared. The cold will warm up soon, and you'll find some places of business keep the doors open to the air in spring, p heating gets turned on at around 7:00pm. Many times when we come to a day's end well just put our sleeping bag on top of us and we're fine. It's not that cold here.
Also when you get to larger cities you can change things if you need to. Pack light as people say, I'm sure you will be fine. Do bring good socks and change them.
Have a great Camino!
Deb and Rob

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry, but don't blame other forum members for the gear choices you have made. You talked yourself into those, having filtered advice you
Mr Dougfitz. Of COURSE. I don't blame ANYONE for my choices. I sincerely hope that first paragraph was tongue in cheek that missed the boat.

Reading about rain effects with different footwear made me think how different trail runners would be. AND since I've never worn them in significant rain, not sure the outcome. I appreciate the rest of your comments. Nanc

Just make sure you carry socks enough to change if your feet get soggy.

I have made the francés this April with many rainy days, i have used ventilated trekking shoes (mesh inside, mesh outside), and no blisters anywhere.

Vaseline helps, aswell.

Socks should be coolmax type, never use cotton socks if you think it's going to rain or if you sweat a lot. Wet cotton is like an emery to your skin.

Thanks a lot to everyone. All my socks are coolmax (liner) and Merino wool. I can take enough to make a few changes if needed. Nothing with cotton. I readed that june and july are more dry but at my country the weather have been different to other years and I know that the weather can be very variable so I started to pack my fears of what could be(a few warmer items). LOL. I'll protect my feet with Vaseline for sure (is Vaseline easily found in the camino or should I bring it from home?) I am looking right now to some waterproof rain shoe covers but if I keep packing just in case of I'll end up with aheavy pack or leaving home a lot of the things I bought. Because I know myself ( I usually over pack )I limited myself with a small hiking bag so I am forced to select between what I already have and what I'll buy new.
In my few training walks I have seen I am prone to blisters and have kept making changes to correct this (not sure I had done it but in the training I never use the liner sock nor Vaseline )

I would stay with your choice too. June is very different than this particular May and April. We expected this and were prepared. The cold will warm up soon, and you'll find some places of business keep the doors open to the air in spring, p heating gets turned on at around 7:00pm. Many times when we come to a day's end well just put our sleeping bag on top of us and we're fine. It's not that cold here.
Also when you get to larger cities you can change things if you need to. Pack light as people say, I'm sure you will be fine. Do bring good socks and change them.
Have a great Camino!
Deb and Rob

Thanks for your time and ideas. I'm taking a very light sleeping bag. Seems silk but is not. Only to use as a barrier in the bed because it will not help at all to keep me warm. So if cold I plan to over dress to sleep, layer upon layer. About the socks...how many pairs is a good number to take? I'm planning in taking 2 coolmax injinji (using them as liner) and 3 merino wool .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First of all, there is no perfect choice in gear. So, no obsessing! When it rains I like my boots and full on rain gear, including Gators. When it's warm and dry, I hate the stupid weight of that useless rainwear and hate my boots...so, obviously, I made a bad choice :). IF I was going to be walking in June, July, August ID be ditching the rain gear and walking in full shank walking shoes. The secret to the CDs is simple...know when to stop for a coffee con leche and when to pass it up.

Thanks a lot to everyone. All my socks are coolmax (liner) and Merino wool. I can take enough to make a few changes if needed. Nothing with cotton. I readed that june and july are more dry but at my country the weather have been different to other years and I know that the weather can be very variable so I started to pack my fears of what could be(a few warmer items). LOL. I'll protect my feet with Vaseline for sure (is Vaseline easily found in the camino or should I bring it from home?) I am looking right now to some waterproof rain shoe covers but if I keep packing just in case of I'll end up with aheavy pack or leaving home a lot of the things I bought. Because I know myself ( I usually over pack )I limited myself with a small hiking bag so I am forced to select between what I already have and what I'll buy new.
In my few training walks I have seen I am prone to blisters and have kept making changes to correct this (not sure I had done it but in the training I never use the liner sock nor Vaseline )

You can find vaseline easily in every pharmacy and in many supermarkets.

Have you seen any chiropodist? Your propensity to blisters may come from the shoes you wear, perhaps you need special insoles or your feet are not used to work hot and bounded.

What are you doing to correct it? I hope you are not changing your step, your body is used to the way you walk and changing it now, before starting such long trail, might cause tendinitis.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm in Los Arcos! There's been a little rain for the past few days. Nothing major, but, enough to test your chosen rain gear. For me, it's rain pants and rain jacket. The pants protect my socks which, prevents blisters. For others who chose rain gear that left the socks exposed, it's blisterville. Something to think about.
Poncho with gaiters worked fine for me in a wet patch.

I am in Palais de Rei right now; it has been very rainy and muddy and my feet have remained warm, dry and blister-free. I am wearing Smartwool socks and (comfortable!) Reebok trail runners with Superfeet inserts. The shoes are breathable and have small drainage holes on the side of the soles (those holes, frankly, worried me, but read on). I do have to say that I have had to step right into water a few times as there was no way around it, and the shoes have dried immediately and the wool socks kept my feet warm. I guess the shoe people knew what they were doing with the holes. I bought gators before I left home but ended up leaving them there because they were too heavy. Now I'm glad that I did.

I am in Palais de Rei right now; it has been very rainy and muddy and my feet have remained warm, dry and blister-free. I am wearing Smartwool socks and (comfortable!) Reebok trail runners with Superfeet inserts. The shoes are breathable and have small drainage holes on the side of the soles (those holes, frankly, worried me, but read on). I do have to say that I have had to step right into water a few times as there was no way around it, and the shoes have dried immediately and the wool socks kept my feet warm. I guess the shoe people knew what they were doing with the holes. I bought gators before I left home but ended up leaving them there because they were too heavy. Now I'm glad that I did.

I think we are on a similar track. My girlfriend and I have Lowe renegade boots, smart wool socks, and super feet inserts. We have to say for us 65+ support, warm and dry has helped us. We both looked at trail runners and would for sure use them in the summer moths.

Let uS know how they wear by the end.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can find vaseline easily in every pharmacy and in many supermarkets.

Have you seen any chiropodist? Your propensity to blisters may come from the shoes you wear, perhaps you need special insoles or your feet are not used to work hot and bounded.

What are you doing to correct it? I hope you are not changing your step, your body is used to the way you walk and changing it now, before starting such long trail, might cause tendinitis.

I have not seen a chiropodist. and at this stage this is not an option. The shoes I selected I did it thinking in my narrow high arched feet . I had been experimenting with insoles. I'm waiting for the superfeet ones to arrive (in 2 days) to test them and then decide. I have been learning in this process..

My only REAL blister was produced for not knowing how to tie correctly the tennis so I had friction hiking a few long hills . All the other times I just feel a low level hotspot but I see them as blisters in the making.Or maybe is not hot spots but only a tender spot for being standing all day at work and then going to train for a few hours. I have my hopes in the super feet insoles. I also found out my feet and knees are more stable with the insoles (now I wonder how I survived this long without them).

You could carry some plastic bags and use them on your feet inside your shoes on wet days.

Or goretex socks ... if you want to spend the big bucks.

Grocery store plastic bags are too flimsy for this purpose.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back