• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain Skirt (wrap, kilt ...)

linkster

¡Nunca dejes de creer!
Time of past OR future Camino
First, let me establish a baseline. I am a rain jacket and pants guy, and not a poncho guy. Been there done that just personal preference. Having said that putting rain pants on and taking them off can be a PITA. So I decided to try out a Rain Wrap from Enlightened Equipment. I tested it at home in the shower, and took a couple of walks in the rain (SWFL). It worked well enough, so I took it on my Camino. I did not experience a heavy rain, but some light to moderate rain on a couple of days. It worked out great. I did not get wet, and it allowed a lot of ventilation in the lower part of my body. It was easy to put on and take off. It was also a good wind break. The highest winds were on the Pyrenees, and did not affect the performance of the skirt. I just kept it scrunched in a ball in the pocket of my rain jacket when not in use. It scrunches up really small. I did see a couple of others with rain skirts, but not many. I did get the occasional look or stare, like what is that. One of my hiking buddies said I had a butcher look going.

The only down side was wash day. It was a little to sheer for comfort. I donned my puff jacket, and rain skirt twice in a laundromat early in the morning when there was no one there, but it would have been a little too revealing in a crowd. The last night in Lavacolla everyone did their wash, so we would have clean clothes in Santiago. I wore a pair of ex-officio boxer briefs underneath on the way to the bar while our wash was washing. It was too much for Jim though, and he lent me a pair of shorts. Barrie kept blurting out "I'm a lady". Jerri just had her rain suit on, and neglected to zip the underarm vents until I pointed them out. It was no big deal after spending so many nights with 50 people having a sleepover in the albergue walking around in their underwear. I imagine the locals have seen it all by now. We all laughed, and had a great time at the bar until our wash was done.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
:D:eek:
And thanks for the heads-up, @linkster. I walk in a long-ish skirt, so rain pants are out- and the bottom of my Altus is not quite long enough to cover the skirt completely. In dire straits I use a black trash bag, but it has to be really hosing for me to dig that out...and if this is long enough it'd be way better.
(Just had a look, and it may not be any longer than the altus...hmmmm. So is it below the knee if so how far?)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The rain skirt falls below the knee about the same length as a poncho. But, I think you could get Tyler to make it longer if desired.

Attachments

• IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 140
I considered a hiking kilt but anticipated some of linkster's social issues and decided not. Were any pilgrims walking in kilts?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I only saw one guy hiking in a kilt ... classic tartan. I did walk with Layne and Rolf. Layne was sporting some kind of walking skirt, but much longer than the Purple Rain Skirt above. She has some way of buttoning or fastening it to make it shorter, she was also able to work some kind if magic and make into something like a skort? She wore the skort configuration on the horse up O Cebreiro.

First, let me establish a baseline. I am a rain jacket and pants guy, and not a poncho guy. Been there done that just personal preference. Having said that putting rain pants on and taking them off can be a PITA. So I decided to try out a Rain Wrap from Enlightened Equipment. I tested it at home in the shower, and took a couple of walks in the rain (SWFL). It worked well enough, so I took it on my Camino. I did not experience a heavy rain, but some light to moderate rain on a couple of days. It worked out great. I did not get wet, and it allowed a lot of ventilation in the lower part of my body. It was easy to put on and take off. It was also a good wind break. The highest winds were on the Pyrenees, and did not affect the performance of the skirt. I just kept it scrunched in a ball in the pocket of my rain jacket when not in use. It scrunches up really small. I did see a couple of others with rain skirts, but not many. I did get the occasional look or stare, like what is that. One of my hiking buddies said I had a butcher look going.

The only down side was wash day. It was a little to sheer for comfort. I donned my puff jacket, and rain skirt twice in a laundromat early in the morning when there was no one there, but it would have been a little too revealing in a crowd. The last night in Lavacolla everyone did their wash, so we would have clean clothes in Santiago. I wore a pair of ex-officio boxer briefs underneath on the way to the bar while our wash was washing. It was too much for Jim though, and he lent me a pair of shorts. Barrie kept blurting out "I'm a lady". Jerri just had her rain suit on, and neglected to zip the underarm vents until I pointed them out. It was no big deal after spending so many nights with 50 people having a sleepover in the albergue walking around in their underwear. I imagine the locals have seen it all by now. We all laughed, and had a great time at the bar until our wash was done.

Yup, the EE rain kilt/skirt has been my lower body go-to for several years. Even when not raining, it is great for walking on paths and trails with wet undergrowth, grasses, and bushes. I've posted about it before, and glad to see you helping to spread the "gospel" :)

:D:eek:
And thanks for the heads-up, @linkster. I walk in a long-ish skirt, so rain pants are out- and the bottom of my Altus is not quite long enough to cover the skirt completely. In dire straits I use a black trash bag, but it has to be really hosing for me to dig that out...and if this is long enough it'd be way better.
(Just had a look, and it may not be any longer than the altus...hmmmm. So is it below the knee if so how far?)

Mine sits about lower-mid calf.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I only saw one guy hiking in a kilt

In April 2016 from Le Puy and October 2017 from Estella I wore a sort of a kilt with a green tartan looking pattern.

I had trialled it for about 12 months during training. (I had decided not to wear my real kilt as keeping it clean - getting it dried - 8 yd of wollen fabric - would be impractical in the field.) It was made of thin polyester so washed easily and dried quickly. With three layers in front and four behind it kept me warm in the cold and with in built air conditioning kept me cool in the hot.

My usual goto would be shorts but I found the walking kilt more useful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That looks great, @linkster - thanks for sharing. It could work well for those of us who walk in Purple Rain skirts
I walked exclusively in my Purple Rain skirt. I also carreid a rain skirt and used it a couple times. Much better than pants and easier to put on and take off. I used the one made by http://www.wandergoods.com/
Although 90% of the time I just opted for a light rain jacket and let my legs and skirt get wet. I had gaiters so no water got into my shoes and it was too hot to wear the skirt. But it did come in handy on one particularly bad downpour and going over the Hospitales Route on the Primitivo. I save my rain pants for when I'm on the boat or for glacier hiking. Otherwise, I'm sticking with my rain skirt. You can't beat the ventilation and ease.

Hey, me too! Love my Packa. And for heavier and/or cold rain, I add my ULA rain kilt. (I hike in a knee-length Macabi skirt.) The kilt is easy to deploy & undeploy, and the perfect mix of ventilation and wind protection.

My Packa is bright green like yours, and my rain kilt is bright purple. I look like a Fruit of the Loom commercial.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.