• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain, socks & more socks

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Today we took our walk, in the rain. Ok, light rain, sort of sprinkles. We missed the heavy rain. :) The streets were very wet, large puddles we could not avoid. As I wear sandals my socks got soaked, twice. The sandals were wet but not bad.

I changed into the Teva shower sandals with dry socks. Socks got wet. Decided to just go without socks as it wasn't that cold. It worked pretty well, was a bit rough on the bottoms of my feet. I had not worn the Tevas with my backpack before.

My question is, how hard should I try to keep feet, socks dry? Even with hiking shoes I would be wet over time. Are there any socks better for walking in when wet? By now I have at least 6 different kind of socks. lol If it is cold and wet I will probably want socks on with my sandals.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Today we took our walk, in the rain. Ok, light rain, sort of sprinkles. We missed the heavy rain. :) The streets were very wet, large puddles we could not avoid. As I wear sandals my socks got soaked, twice. The sandals were wet but not bad.

I changed into the Teva shower sandals with dry socks. Socks got wet. Decided to just go without socks as it wasn't that cold. It worked pretty well, was a bit rough on the bottoms of my feet. I had not worn the Tevas with my backpack before.

My question is, how hard should I try to keep feet, socks dry? Even with hiking shoes I would be wet over time. Are there any socks better for walking in when wet? By now I have at least 6 different kind of socks. lol If it is cold and wet I will probably want socks on with my sandals.
The few times I got rained on while walking the Camino Frances (4-5 days maybe out of over 120 days) I just kept walking with wet shoes and socks. If it's raining there's really nothing you can do to keep your shoes, socks and feet 100% dry. If it's warm like when I walked the CF, you just deal with it and clean up, dry off and such at the albergue when you get there. In warm weather wet feet are not going to do you any harm.
On my Caminos I never wore insulated, gore-tex, waterproof, etc boots/shoes. Always wore the lightest and most breathable. I found they dry quicker after getting wet. Same with my socks. Lightweight, synthetic running socks. They dry quick, too and work great even when wet.
Cold, snowy weather or drizzly, freezing or very cold variety? Different beast altogether. Better be cognizant of footwear, but then again, you'd never catch me walking the Camino in that stuff...ha ha.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What time of the year do you plan to walk?

If it is in a part of the year where you can expect/anticipate lots of rain or snow, dry feet are a pretty big deal as one reason for blisters stems from wet foot parts rubbing on other wet foot parts or footwear parts. This is where you read about many people swapping out socks midway through their day. Others talk about use of moisture wicking socks to help pull wetness away from the foot. Wetness softens the skin so you are much more prone to blistering even if you have quality footwear.

I wear GTX mid boots (I've only walked in winter and spring) and never had wet feet and, perhaps luckily or coincidentally, no blister issues. I'm sure this is in large part to wearing the right footwear for my feet but equally so the fact that I keep the outside wetness outside and wear a high quality smartwool socks that wicks moisture and provides cushioning.

If you are walking in drier months I'm sure Mark's advice above makes total sense!

We are planning for Sept and Oct of 2017. From the weather histories I have looked up it shouldn't be too cold.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@jo webber I walk in sandals and most of the time I go without socks. So getting my feet wet is not a problem - I wade through the water and ignore it.

If it is cold as well as wet, then I wear Sealskinz or Dexshell waterproof, breathable socks. I would not wear them all the time. If I was a sock and sandal wearer I'd take ordinary socks for when it was dry weather, and Sealskinz or Dexshell for when it was raining.

One evening I saw a man at the albergue with the most horrible blisters under his feet, an inch and a half plus in diameter, due to walking in the rainthe previous day. He ended up having to go home.

I love my Gortex Salomon walking shoes, my feet have never felt wet while wearing them, even when it rained all day and day after day.

When I walked in treking sandals, with socks, I did get caught in the rain, bit it only rained for 10-20 minutes. I took off the then dirty socks when it stopped raining, rinsed my feet and voila. But I would not want to have to walk in wet socks for hours, and in sandals, especially if walking thought muddy fields where feet sink right into the mud.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After purchasing three types of wool socks, I don't like them. My feet feel dry and itchy after wearing them.
Try wearing a thin pair of polypro (polypropylene) socks underneath. They wick moisture away from your skin and put a barrier between your skin and itchy wool.

We are planning for Sept and Oct of 2017. From the weather histories I have looked up it shouldn't be too cold.

The good news is that you've got plenty of time to reconsider your determination to wear sandals come what may - and you should also be guided by the proportion of walking during September (typically very warm with brief rain showers) and October (colder with longer periods of rain)

For me, sandals are for summer and showers - during your intended period you might need thin socks, rain-proof socks and wool socks

I walk during May or September and wear trail runners - after light rain, the warmth of my feet soon dries the thin socks - but I do have at least three pairs of socks, so can change if needed

As I live in the UK where it is often cold and frequently wet too, wet feet are unthinkable. In the rain I wear waterproofs and lightweight waterproof boots. In the winter I might wear gaiters too but more usually a pair of mini gaiters that cover the good of the boots and which keep out water, mud, stones, dust, snow ..... This system has worked well for me from Scotland to Africa.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sealskinz or Dexshell for when it was raining.
Thanks. The rain, wetness was no longer a problem once I simply took my socks off. The air that got between my feet and the Teva shower sandal was enough to help.

I think I can buy what I might need in the way of socks in Spain, if I change my mind. In mud, I might just go barefoot. Step easily to see what may be deep in the mud, spreading toes helps give both stability and traction in mud. Unless it is the slick stuff that causes everyone to end up on their behind.

Liners were a leoblem for me on C1 as they would bunch up at bottom of foot. They quickly were shown the door.

1 pair of whar ever you have tried before heading out is what you should wear, and bring two or three of them.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walking on muddy and flooded trails is quite different that walking on wet streets. Last April/May it rained everyday for 2 weeks and then it was sporadic after that. Hopefully the weather will be more favorable for you when you go.

My Keen "waterproof" boots got soaked almost every day that it rained hard. When I returned to the USA, I wrote to Keen to compliment the way the boots held up for 2000 Kilometers with the exception that they were not waterproof as advertised. Much to my surprise they sent me a new pair of boots free of charge.

There are lots of separate posts about blister management. You might want to check them out. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others.

The most important thing is you are going and hopefully it will be an experience that will enhance your life.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.