• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain trousers or not?

ConnieAdriano

Time of past OR future Camino
Past 2016:Sarria - Santiago
Past 2018:Central CP & Finist-Muxia-SdC
Future 2020:Via Francigena
Good afternoon all,

We are walking the Central CP from Lisbon in July / August (summer, yes but we are Aussies). After arriving in Santiago de Compostela we are going on to do Santiago-Finisterre/Muxia-Santiago. We have full rain ponchos but are wondering if we will need rain trousers or not? Could anyone help out?

Kind regards, Adriano and Connie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Adriano and Connie
Phew! temps can get really high then and (IMHO) I haven’t found being an Ozzie makes it any easier!!
But as long as you’re ready for it.
With respect to rain trousers., I’d just enjoy getting a bit wet (at that time of the year- may cool you down) ; others may disagree tho.
I did carry rain pants on my first camino (Porto to Santiago ). 2012 and left them at an albergue .
Buen Camino
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yep I agree. In spring and autumn I wore them for warmth but in summer I would take my chances and live with wet legs.
Buen camino, peregrinos.
Yep, me too. I took my Frogg Togg rain suit on two of my spring Caminos and did not regret bringing the pants. I didn't need them often, but they kept me warm and dry on a few cold, wet, windy days. They are very lightweight, breathable and I never got sweaty.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I usually walk in spring and I only use a rain pants if it is cold and / or it looks like being heavy or consistent rain. This is because without the rain pants I have found that the rain runs down my legs, fills my boots / trail shoes and I end up with more water in my boots than out. :rolleyes:

I walked Pamplona to Santiago Sept through end of October 2017. I took breathable rain pants and wore them for one hour and then took them off. I sweated with them on so found it better for me to just get wet from rain instead of sweat. I would highly suggest walking in the rain pants you plan to take with you while at home. If you do not sweat in them and like them then you will have a good idea if you want to take them or not.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wouldn't bother bringing rain trousers. Most of the time you'll spend walking in Portugal and that's supposed to be dry this time of the year. Galicia could be slightly more unpredictable but won't be utterly unpleasant in terms of rain. The cooler temteratures there are more of an advantage, and the rains in summer don't normally last for days. I took rain trousers walking in May from Porto to Santiago, then went from Fisterra to Muxia, and in late Oct from Lisbon to Porto. Didn't use it much on my first trip, although I used a ponco occasionally, and didn't use trousers at all on the second.

Hi Adriano and Connie
Waterproof trousers won't be necessary - or comfortable - at that time of year. I think most people would just wear their shorts under their poncho and accept getting wet feet. However lots of running shops now sell ultralight gaiters, which you might consider. These stop the rain/splash trickling down into your shoes, which should keep gortex shoes dry for a couple more hours. Otherwise, just wear your lightweight trousers and let the bottoms of these absorb the rain and eventually they'll dry out...
If you really want something more substantial, there are rain chaps which work perfectly with a poncho and allow for much more ventilation than full trousers. The Mountain Laurel Designs ones weigh 2 ounces (60g) for a pair.
Cheers, tom

Well thank you everyone for your responses. We had thought 'no' but just wanted to confirm specifically for the Finisterre/Muxia section. We don't mind getting wet in the rain so a few 100kg less is great.
Many thanks everyone, Adriano and Connie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That time of the year in that terrain, no, not with a poncho to give you some lower coverage. That is the set-up my wife uses and really likes. If you think of rain gear as something not to keep you dry but to keep you warm (i.e. no hypothermia) that will help you make better choices. I always carry a rain jacket (doubles as my warmth layer--in the summer, my only warmth layer), so on a summer camino I'd take not rain pants, but a rain kilt (or skirt). Lighter, more breathable, easier on and off--basically just the bottom to a poncho, which you already have.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.