• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Raincoat or poncho?

RickCreamer

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2020
Hey all - we are planning to start the C Frances on May 25th - July 2nd. We know the weather should be ok - but after reading a lot of threads, I’m still confused as to which one to take. I know everyone will have their preference on either a raincoat or poncho is better - but I was wondering those who took booth and have walked at that time of the year - which one would you suggest?

many thanks everyone!
Rick

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Francés almost the exact dates as you in 2017, but I didn't take both (and I'm not sure anyone would - that's sort of the point of the debate, isn't it? ;) ). I took a poncho and found it adequate. From memory we had about six days of rain, a couple of days around Santo Domingo de la Calzada and then four days in Galicia.

Hey all - we are planning to start the C Frances on May 25th - July 2nd. We know the weather should be ok - but after reading a lot of threads, I’m still confused as to which one to take. I know everyone will have their preference on either a raincoat or poncho is better - but I was wondering those who took booth and have walked at that time of the year - which one would you suggest?

many thanks everyone!
Rick

You will get as many opinions as replies.

In my opinion you should stick to whatever you would ordinarily choose to wear in intermittent rain on a longish walk in a benign climate whilst carrying a rucksack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a poncho last time but I will maybe take a jacket next time. If I have a jacket that is a combined jacket and rain jacket I can use it in the evenings. The less positive with that is that the jacket maybe is a little less good in heavy rain, that it take a little more space when not used and that I can’t have it over the sack if needed. As well my trousers will be more wet when the rain is flooding down the jacket. It is great to have a rain poncho that ends under your knees. My didn’t.

What will determine your answer is how much space you have left in your pack .
advantages of a coat are it is more comfortable and better looking
disadvantages are it will be bulky to pack
advantages of a poncho are they are light and fold up neat and small and can be easy to access and put on over you and your pack in less than a minute . With a jacket you will have to stop and take off your pack and put it back on , you will be damp by the time this is done . The dates you are planning will be hopefully warm and humid despite a bit of rain and a poncho dries in minutes after rain .

Hard to choose. I have never tried a poncho, but by all accounts they can get sweaty and a bit of a handful in high wind. But they are not expensive.......

I use rain pants and jacket. But good, breathable, lightweight ones, are expensive.

So maybe given the time of year..........a poncho.
But there again...........it could rain a lot.

These kinds of decisions are never easy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If it rains from early morning until late at night, I would wear a jacket.

If there are several showers during the day, I recommend that you wear a poncho.

I go for the poncho, it is so easy to put on. Just throw it over your backpack (and that also protects against rain). To put on a jacket, you have to stop, take off your backpack, put on your jacket, put on your backpack again, ...

You see, by the time you are protected from the rain, your underpants are already soaked...
Not mentioning the time it takes to dry a jacket against a poncho.

Hi Rick
By raincoat do you actually mean a rain jacket with the rucksack worn over the top?
Or are you just asking about the difference between two items that both go over the rucksack, but the raincoat has added arm sleeves and a zip down the front?
BTW someone will be along very soon now to tell you to take an umbrella... 🧨

many thanks everyone!
Rick
The first time I took a poncho but since then have opted for a jacket. Much prefer the jacket and would not take the poncho ever again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a lightweight poncho in July, used it 2 times.
It was a bit tricky to handle, the second time it was a bit easier. Try it at home.
Next time I use a superlightweight rainjacket (230gr.) I bought after I got home in August.

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I walked the Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre (Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia) in late September 2019. During my planning and packing, I decided on a rain jacket rather than a poncho. We had a heavy rain day on the Camino Ingles and, although the rain jacket was adequate, I got extremely wet. Just to be on the safe side, I bought a very inexpensive poncho in Santiago before I started my walk to Finisterre and Muxia and I had a non-stop rain day on my last walking day from Lires to Muxia. The poncho proved to be a great addition to my gear. My shoes got wet but everything else stayed reasonably dry. The only drawback to a poncho is that the wind will blow it around but it is easy to put on and covers you and your pack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My choice is a poncho with arms (mine is an Altus). If it appears that it will rain soon, I drape it over my pack and use the arms to tie it around my waist. That protects my pack from the earliest drops and allows me to don my Altus by simply inserting my arms into the sleeves and zipping it up.. That said, I once shared the trail with someone who chose the rain coat and pack cover option. It appeared to be very awkward to me as she had to remove her pack in order to put on her rain jacket and cover her pack. She was extremely happy with her choice. All this is to say, what has already been said: "to each his/her own". If you already own both, go for some walks, first with one and then the other, and if you don't get rain, pretend. You can also replicate rain in the shower and see how each works for you.

My wife and I have walked CF three times, the most recent Sept-Oct 2019. During our recent camino the weather was mostly fine, but we experienced two days in which we hiked 5 hours in steady and sometimes heavy rain. Our rain gear included Goretex rain jackets, rain pants and gaiters. During the two days of heavy rain, we were drenched by the time we reached our destination.

We are now planning our 4th CF for Sept-Oct 2020 and recently purchased lightweight ponchos. We will bring our goretex rain jackets and ponchos with us. If we again experience non-stop heavy rains, we will plan to wear the ponchos over our rain jackets to keep dry. We're not concerned about the added weight. We're sending our backpacks ahead via Jaco-trans and for those days with rain in the forecast, we'll carry our rain gear in our day packs. (By the way, I carried my Osprey backpack every step during my first two caminos and the majority of stages during our recent Camino). Bob

On my first 2 Camino's I was using a poncho. And then I decided to do the "swimming pool Camino Portoguese" in November this year. For this I purchase the Altus rain coat made in Spain!

Just fantastic! Just got 10 days in a row of continuous rain on 15...

Altus the way to go for me! Don't forget your gaiters for full protection!IMG_20191124_120923114_PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have shower proof fleece lined jackets (400gms) that we can reverse to wear in the evening but also have ponchos (340gms). The poncho works better if it is really wet as the pack is also protected and it is long enough to protect my legs if I don't want to wear my over-trousers (155gms). Also with the jacket the pack straps rub the wet into the jacket.
It all depends on weight/pack space and very personal choice. We tried different methods while still at home and ten decided what worked best for us.

I too will be setting off on my first CF in May (a few weeks earlier than you) and had the same question ... and have decided that I'm taking both: a lightweight poncho for rainy days when I need something to cover both my person and my pack and an equally lightweight rain jacket for those rainy afternoons/evenings when I don't want to be walking around in a poncho. The two together weigh less than a pound, and my rain jacket folded up into its own pouch can double as a comfy pillow for traveling or sleeping (it actually fits perfectly into the pillow compartment of my sleeping bag liner ... and yes, I am bringing a sleeping bag liner instead of a sleeping bag, in case you're soliciting opinions about that other option which seems to get a lot of discussion on here as well.) ;)

I use a lightweight rain jacket (which is also a great wind-proof extra layer for cold but not rainy days) and a hands-free trekking umbrella. I had only one day of real rain plus a few minor showers during a may/june Camino Francés but the umbrella was used practically every day for sun protection. For a walk in a more rain-prone season, I'll add a 60 gr rain kilt to protect my legs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

many thanks everyone!
Rick
Poncho every time, covers your backpack. Easy to get on and off.

Decide what’s best for you based on previous/preparatory walking experiences.
Personal preference? Take both - single skin waterproof (and windproof) top and poncho, both v light and not bulky; also have small collapsible umbrella. Crucial too, baseball cap - keeps hood from dropping over eyes and provides (some) shade/shelter.
Your call, Rick!
Paul

I vote for the Altus Poncho. Bought it from the hiking store in SJPdP and they showed us the quickest way to put it on. It was excellent, lightweight, able to handle different volumes of layered clothing and with sleeves big enough to accommodate my broken wrist in its cast. We had about six days of rain in September/October last year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m still confused as to which one to take.
Haha! Have you got your answer? I am still confused and that is why I intend to keep walking until I have my gear totally refined.
These kinds of decisions are never easy.
Because either decision will be wrong about half of the time!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pick one, either one. You're likely to survive to tell the tale either way, and refine your list for the next time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If my ancient (soon to be re-taped) waterproof is good enough for my green (and very wet) adopted homeland, it’s good enough for the Camino, even for Galicia, which is at least warmer than here 🙂

I used an ordinary pair of walking trousers, washed in Nikwax TX Direct and they kept the rain at bay and dried out quickly, as they do at home.

many thanks everyone!
Rick
Poncho that will fit over your pack.

Raincoat or poncho ???

Neither.

Woollen Mediaeval Cape FTW !!!

Have tried a different option on all 7 of my walks and there is no perfect solution. I found that a regular poncho without sleeves did not hold up in wind. The hiking ponchos that have sleeves and cover your pack are not very breathable and I got wet from sweating. Rainjackets worn under the backpack left the straps and waistband wet for days and stinky. I think my next camino will include a very lightweight Frog Togg longer length poncho and ultra lightweight windbreaker which is water repellant . I will be walking in July/August, no need for pants or heavy layers and I'm assuming the heat will dry things quickly. If I were walking in May or Sept/October, I would reconsider and bring my hiking poncho.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am trying to imagine what a woollen medieval cape look like... So I did a search on Google image and I am getting this. No doubtsu will be visible!
It's not the colour that is the problem with your Google find. Nor its discount price of US$24.01-33.66.

It's because it's "an exterior velvet, inside is a thin satin fabric" and it weighs only 800 gram (28 oz). That's not going to keep the rain away from your shirt and skin.

A few years ago, Stephen Payne went on an epic winter pilgrimage in the UK in an outfit that was as authentic to medieval pilgrims' clothes as possible. His woollen cloak weighed 13 kg (2 stone/28 lbs). It's naturally waterproof, and he slept in it, no sleeping bag, even outside when it was cold and wet.

My Ultra Sil Nano Poncho weighs 230 g (8 oz) and is, for me, the best protection against persistent Galician rain so far and much better than the rest of my collection of ponchos and rain jackets that I have acquired over the years.

I'll throw in my recommendation again for those who sew - a "parcho", which is a poncho/parka combination with very loose sleeves, and full zip front. I made mine from a kit that I bought from Quest Outfitters, and it weighs 7.2 ounces, which I believe is quite a bit lighter than the Altus.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Frog Togg longer length poncho
Can you show us a picture on how it could look like?
I'll throw in my recommendation again for those who sew - a "parcho", which is a poncho/parka combination with very loose sleeves, and full zip front. I made mine from a kit that I bought from Quest Outfitters, and it weighs 7.2 ounces, which I believe is quite a bit lighter than the Altus.

This is a really good solution, I would also like to have full zip front. Have someone seen it in a store?

@Pelen The FrogTogg poncho I buy is in Men's/unisex and I'm only 5'4" so its a bit longer on me than most. Here are the pictures from their site. It weighs 8.6 oz. As I stated, I don't see a July/August walk as being too cold to tolerate and would rather a simple light breathable solution for this time of year. I would choose more significant coverage in fall. I do always, regardless of rain gear I choose, put the rainfly on my backpack in any kind of precipitation even under ponchos.

I've also found that I could hike up the entire front of the poncho and tuck it into the waist of my pack in between rain showers to stay cooler and always still have it on and handy for the next downpour.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.36.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.36.02 AM.png
    518.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.36.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.36.18 AM.png
    617.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.36.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.36.34 AM.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 38
@Pelen The FrogTogg poncho I buy is in Men's/unisex and I'm only 5'4" so its a bit longer on me than most. Here are the pictures from their site. It weighs 8.6 oz. As I stated, I don't see a July/August walk as being too cold to tolerate and would rather a simple light breathable solution for this time of year. I would choose more significant coverage in fall. I do always, regardless of rain gear I choose, put the rainfly on my backpack in any kind of precipitation even under ponchos.

I've also found that I could hike up the entire front of the poncho and tuck it into the waist of my pack in between rain showers to stay cooler and always still have it on and handy for the next downpour.
Smart. I have used one that is not so long (I am tall) and that is not optimal. On the other hand, as you wrote, it is not so important in the summer.

€83,-
I had a raincoat along, but I believe a poncho would have been sufficient. I walked Sept 6 - Oct 12 ish, and did the extension to the coast. I used my raincoat in Finisterre/Muxia in October as it was cold/wet there.
I considered my raincoat as one of my 'warmth' layers, and brought a very thin/minimal puffy to go under it. I think if I brought a poncho instead...I would have reconsidered my whole layering system to 'match' =) Not sure. I've never brought 'only a poncho' on any outdoor adventure so I'm not familiar with implications. Anecdotally...I never actually got rained on during the Camino Frances portion....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I vote poncho - but it must be a good quality one that is long and adequately fits over the backpack and does not ride up at the back, e.g., Altus Poncho. They are obviously more expensive but value for money. The advantage is that it will completely cover your pack as well as yourself. Disadvantage is the poncho is such a good cover you have little air circulation and some condensation can accumulate from your body temperature. This can be alleviated easily by not having excess clothing layers on and undoing studs. The convenience of the front opening cannot be underestimated. ‘Throwing’ the poncho on over yourself and pack is so quick and convenient when rain is about to start. Unlike having to remove backpack add jacket, and do over. I would take this poncho over a raincoat. Lots of advice but it comes down to you in the end. After one camino you will have your ‘true’ answer that suits you - personal experience. Good luck with your decision making.

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I usually bring a light jacket and a foldable umbrella for light rain. Poncho for heavy rain + my backpack has a built in raincover.

If , like me, you sweat whilst walking a ponch is the last thing to wear, Codensation formed under the poncho will dampen everything, particularly if you get caught in a shower when the temperature is warm. I use a lightweight rain jacket which you can leave partialy unzipped to allowyour body to breathe

We gave our Decaton Ponchos a test by walking 11 miles in rain and gale force winds this week. They are so good. They have sleeves and cover the pack too. Zip up the ftont and if it's really cool you can pull your arms inside. They kept us and our packs completely dry.

Poncho. Its lightweight, folds up small and covers the backpack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Packa. Double duty as a pack cover, that quickly deploys sleeves and hood into a poncho. Front zip, pit zips, collapses into its own pocket. Stuffs into the pack cover pouch of my pack, so it doesn't take up extra room. Got one for the wife, too. She wouldn't take it off.

I researched this quite a bit, and went with The Packa.
It is a cross between a rain coat, pack cover, and a poncho.
Best I've ever heard of or seen for wearing rain gear while wearing a backpack.
It has a LOT of ventilation, and I did not become wet from condensation under it.

Last edited:
If , like me, you sweat whilst walking a ponch is the last thing to wear, Codensation formed under the poncho will dampen everything, particularly if you get caught in a shower when the temperature is warm. I use a lightweight rain jacket which you can leave partialy unzipped to allowyour body to breathe

There are reasons folks have for choosing a rain jacket over a poncho, but I have far more condensation issues with a rain jacket, than with a poncho. Especially with the pack forcing the rain jacket against my back. Shoulder straps exposed to the rain will definitely get wet when used over a rain jacket.

I've never had a backpack or shoulder harness dampened due to such. In fact, the additional airflow created by the poncho over the backpack is what makes high levels of condensation much less likely.

Most ponchos have variable openings around the arms and neck which also improve airflow.

How much clothing one wears under a rain jacket or poncho also affects condensation levels.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Packa. Double duty as a pack cover, that quickly deploys sleeves and hood into a poncho. Front zip, pit zips, collapses into its own pocket. Stuffs into the pack cover pouch of my pack, so it doesn't take up extra room. Got one for the wife, too. She wouldn't take it off.
I you are in Europe the Decathlon is the same idea at 30 Euros

I'm torn. I'm starting mid April and see it is the rainiest time of year. I have planned on rain jacket, backpack cover and umbrella (if no wind). I worry that the Altrus poncho everyone raves about will be way too long for me. I did buy one of the Frogg Togg ultralight 2 ponchos that does cover my backpack (because I am short) , but trying to figure out how to alter it so it won't be flying around if there's wind....maybe use binder clips? I'm not sure it is long enough. Not sure what to bring at this point.

Last edited:
I'm torn. I'm starting mid April and see it is the rainiest time of year. I have planned on rain jacket, backpack cover and umbrella (if no wind). I worry that the Altrus poncho everyone raves about will be way too long for me. I did buy one of the Frogg Togg ultralight 2 ponchos that does cover my backpack (because I am short) , but trying to figure out how to alter it so it won't be flying around if there's wind....maybe use binder clips? I'm not sure it is long enougha 21q
A rope around your waist?

I'm torn. I'm starting mid April and see it is the rainiest time of year. I have planned on rain jacket, backpack cover and umbrella (if no wind). I worry that the Altrus poncho everyone raves about will be way too long for me. I did buy one of the Frogg Togg ultralight 2 ponchos that does cover my backpack (because I am short) , but trying to figure out how to alter it so it won't be flying around if there's wind....maybe use binder clips? I'm not sure it is long enougha 21q

There is one very easy method IF you want to keep a tie off attached to the poncho.

Materials:

Two lengths of cord ( I prefer a 1.2 mm Dyneema tent cord) REI, Amazon, Zpacks, etc

1578777850164.png

Tape or self adhesive fabric to reinforce a small hole. (Tenacious Tape is great for this application)

1578777550705.png

With the poncho on, find your waist.

At the back edge of the poncho, on both your right and left sides, place a mark. If needed, have a helper make the mark. I just reach back an grab the edge myself.

With the poncho removed, at each mark, take a piece of of Tenacious Tape (duct tape, etc), about 2" in length or a bit longer, and wrap the tape so that it sandwiches over the top and bottom sides of the edge and then extends at least 3/4" from the edge of the poncho.

Next, make a tiny incision in the material through the tape. Keep the incision at least 1/2 from the edge of the poncho.

The amount of cord for each side of the poncho will depend on how much girth one has. You need two lengths of cord. . one for each side of the poncho. Thread a length of cord through the incisions you made and tie it off using a square knot.

You will now have two thin, dangling lengths of cord hanging from the waist height of your poncho.

When needed due to wind, grab each length of cord, bringing them to the front of your poncho. Tie the ends together like a shoelace.

You can apply as little or as much tension as you wish, but do not over-tighten, as this will stress the poncho fabric unnecessarily. Now you can button up as much or as little of the sides of the poncho as you wish, adjusting for desired airflow.

When not needed, gather up the dangly cord into a bundle (do this for each side) like an extension cord. You will not notice it as you walk, but it is easily released if needed.

It takes all of 5 minutes to add the modification, and seconds to deploy when the weather calls for it.

If you would rather carry a separate cord or rope or bungee to use as a belt around the poncho, those work too. Of course you need to make sure it is easily reached if you decide you need it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Easiest system to put together is under either of two brands for best value, Regatta and / or Craghoppers. This is the upper body solution. Buy a half zip fleece as a sweater. Then, choose and ultralight rain jacket.

For the lower body, I highly recommend a, "Rain Kilt." There is a lot of time before you go so do a search under,

rain kilt china

Here is one from Aliexpress;

Choices will come up but they should be in the neighbourhood of $10.00. This one is $13.00 but you can get a $3.00 coupon as a first time Customer so total is, $10.00. Shipping is usually free as it is so small and light.

When the math is done, weight of a poncho is going to be heavier than a jacket / kilt / pack cover which provides the maximum versatility as well. And weight over distance is always the prime consideration.

many thanks everyone!
Rick
Whatever you are most comfortable with. I think poncho's are bulky and uncomfortable so I choose a highly packable 6 ounce rain shell which doubled as another layer when needed. Go with the rain shell, more functional, lighter weight and easy to pack

Whatever you are most comfortable with. I think poncho's are bulky and uncomfortable so I choose a highly packable 6 ounce rain shell which doubled as another layer when needed. Go with the rain shell, more functional, lighter weight and easy to pack

:) I do not argue personal choices, which are a subjective thing. . . what someone likes is not arguable. Some folks like liver and onions, others hate both.

I will just point out some things that are objective considerations:

Some ponchos are bulky, but not all of them, and certainly not the one's I recommend. The Frogg Toggs, when actually measured, weigh around the 6 ounce mark. They can be had for $10 to $15, so that is a HUGE bargain for a highly functional piece of rain protective gear.

If I use my Zpacks poncho, it weighs just a bit more than 3.5 ounces and is tough as nails. I do like the Frogg Toggs a lot, though.

A poncho is also far more easily deployed. Since I can pull it out of the side pocket of my backpack and slip it on over my backpack, I do not even have to stop. I usually do pause for the ten seconds it takes to put on, though, because I am a bit clumsy :) I need to take my backpack off, put on a rain jacket, put the backpack back on.

This is a huge factor for me when it rains, as is often the case, off and on during the walk. Periodic sprinkles and showers can eat up a lot of time and energy with a rain jacket IF you take it off and put it on based on the immediate conditions.

With a poncho, I can respond to conditions within seconds. I can whip off the poncho as soon as the rain has slowed or stopped, and not question "should I wait to see if it starts back up?" Keeps condensation way down.

A poncho can work equally as well, and even more flexibly, as an outer layer. The same quickness to deploy and remove a poncho works well in trying to avoid unexpected wind chill. And if the morning is cool as I start to walk, but I know I will be warm after a short walk, simply putting the poncho on for a few minutes and then whipping it off works well to avoid overheating.

On the aesthetics side, rain jackets do have the edge. . . depending on if form is a factor with regard to function.

And ponchos are far more multitasking than a rain jacket.
  • A shelter lean-to. A bit of cord and trekking poles make it even more independent in setting up.
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Ground cloth: Under a tent, or a survival shelter, a poncho can protect you from the damp ground. If you are in a cold damp climate, this can help you stay warm.
  • Wind Break: While a poncho without the liner does not have much insulating qualities, you will be warmer if you wrap up in the poncho in windy weather, this will help protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy -- great emergency privacy screen when needing to do some 'elimination' business and natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad. When taking a break and sitting surfaces are damp.
  • Mattress cover.
  • Can make an emergency backpack or carryall.
  • Windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to layers. Great for cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.
  • etc

Easiest system to put together is under either of two brands for best value, Regatta and / or Craghoppers. This is the upper body solution. Buy a half zip fleece as a sweater. Then, choose and ultralight rain jacket.

For the lower body, I highly recommend a, "Rain Kilt." There is a lot of time before you go so do a search under,

rain kilt china

Here is one from Aliexpress;

Choices will come up but they should be in the neighbourhood of $10.00. This one is $13.00 but you can get a $3.00 coupon as a first time Customer so total is, $10.00. Shipping is usually free as it is so small and light.

When the math is done, weight of a poncho is going to be heavier than a jacket / kilt / pack cover which provides the maximum versatility as well. And weight over distance is always the prime consideration.

My rain kilt weighs 2 ounces. My poncho weighs 6 ounces. 8 ounces total. No rain cover.

One of the lightest (if not THE lightest) and the most breathable jacket on the market - - a Zpacks which I own from gear testing it for Zpacks - - weighs in at 5.9 ounces.

With the lightest ultralight rain cover for the backpack that I know of, 1.9 ounces, I do not see the same thing you are seeing with regard to weight.

Cost for the Frogg Toggs is around $12.00 average. The rain kilt from ULA runs about $30.00. So a total cost of about $42 total.

My Zpacks rain jacket (just as a comparison due to its extreme lightness) runs about $260.00. The backpack cover is around $40.00

Again, the raincoat and cover were chosen as the lightest examples for comparative purposes of the lightest weight products for a rain jacket wardrobe. The cost drops dramatically if other choices are made, but at a marginal weight penalty.

But when push comes to shove, the weight of the rain protection chosen is going to markedly vary.

Yuppity yup to all your boxes...I find flappy-gappy ponchos a pain and prefer my coat style Altus. However, as I travel from Canada, I actually prefer a rain jacket because I can wear it as I traipse around an airport:). So...I met up with my #1 child in SCQ this September, who had sacrificed her poncho on a geological project deep in the heart of British Columbia, Canada (actually to keep a survey drone dry) so I thought I would be doing her a favour with the 'coat style' Altus...nope, poncho it was....the one I had bought for myself at almost DOUBLE the cost. I prefer not to use a poncho...but whatever sez I....

many thanks everyone!
Rick
Poncho 🙂

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I walked during those same dates in 2016. I carried a rain jacket and rain pants. I had very little rain, just some sprinkles on two days. I used the rainpants to sit on in the woods and I used the rain jacket to stay warm in high altitudes. I'm planning the Portuguese route this summer but I don't plan to change that routine. June is less rain than spring or fall. Buen Camino!

many thanks everyone!
Rick
Neither. Take an umbrella.

Both! A lightweight wind/rain jacket for wind and light rain and a poncho for the heavy stuff

:) I do not argue personal choices, which are a subjective thing. . . what someone likes is not arguable. Some folks like liver and onions, others hate both.

I will just point out some things that are objective considerations:

Some ponchos are bulky, but not all of them, and certainly not the one's I recommend. The Frogg Toggs, when actually measured, weigh around the 6 ounce mark. They can be had for $10 to $15, so that is a HUGE bargain for a highly functional piece of rain protective gear.

If I use my Zpacks poncho, it weighs just a bit more than 3.5 ounces and is tough as nails. I do like the Frogg Toggs a lot, though.

A poncho is also far more easily deployed. Since I can pull it out of the side pocket of my backpack and slip it on over my backpack, I do not even have to stop. I usually do pause for the ten seconds it takes to put on, though, because I am a bit clumsy :) I need to take my backpack off, put on a rain jacket, put the backpack back on.

This is a huge factor for me when it rains, as is often the case, off and on during the walk. Periodic sprinkles and showers can eat up a lot of time and energy with a rain jacket IF you take it off and put it on based on the immediate conditions.

With a poncho, I can respond to conditions within seconds. I can whip off the poncho as soon as the rain has slowed or stopped, and not question "should I wait to see if it starts back up?" Keeps condensation way down.

A poncho can work equally as well, and even more flexibly, as an outer layer. The same quickness to deploy and remove a poncho works well in trying to avoid unexpected wind chill. And if the morning is cool as I start to walk, but I know I will be warm after a short walk, simply putting the poncho on for a few minutes and then whipping it off works well to avoid overheating.

On the aesthetics side, rain jackets do have the edge. . . depending on if form is a factor with regard to function.

And ponchos are far more multitasking than a rain jacket.
  • A shelter lean-to. A bit of cord and trekking poles make it even more independent in setting up.
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Ground cloth: Under a tent, or a survival shelter, a poncho can protect you from the damp ground. If you are in a cold damp climate, this can help you stay warm.
  • Wind Break: While a poncho without the liner does not have much insulating qualities, you will be warmer if you wrap up in the poncho in windy weather, this will help protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy -- great emergency privacy screen when needing to do some 'elimination' business and natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad. When taking a break and sitting surfaces are damp.
  • Mattress cover.
  • Can make an emergency backpack or carryall.
  • Windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to layers. Great for cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.
  • etc
Great answer as always, @davebugg (your thorough and well-thought-out answers have helped me many times). Agree 100% with all your points. I used my poncho just as you describe during my two Caminos. When packing light is your goal, it's great when items have more than one function (e.g., lightweight base layers can double as pajamas). My poncho served as a privacy curtain, a picnic blanket, a seat cushion, and a great way to stay dry without getting sweaty -- and no need for a backpack cover either. Ponchos are awesome!

Two points you have to make a founded decision around....

•Weight
•Temperature

If to use raincoat, you really need pants as well. Poncho comes out lighter overall

To walk near optimum temp you need the everything to breath out. Raincoat makes you walking more inclosed, therefore sweating/getting hotter. Poncho acts like a micro climate of it’s own....

P.S. I use technical lightweight runner jacket without mesh, which breaths and is light water repellent....except in wintercaminos...a bit thicker for warmth

Bon Camino!B5ECE8A2-E34E-4EB6-8063-56D5B67E6E47.jpeg

many thanks everyone!
Ric

€83,-

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I had a hybrid raincoat/poncho - was big enough to protect my bag but also had sleeves. Bought at Decathalon.

I am trying to imagine what a woollen medieval cape look like... So I did a search on Google image and I am getting this. No doubtsView attachment 68370 you will be visible!

Huh !!!

Mediaeval by not even the most tortured stretch of imagination ; but if the fabric is good enough, well, it looks honestly quite fine for a lady pilgrim !!!

I love the beautiful fastening !!

And it seems lighter than most, and so practical as a full woollen one can sometimes not be.

It's beautiful !!!

Me :

Me.jpg

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I'am leaving Set.-Oct 2020 to start Camino Frances and along they same question. It's my first Camino. If you don't bring a rain jacket and say you get to Pamplona or Leon and you want to walk around town and it's raining would you wear the poncho around town or would a light rain jacket be better. I want to go into shops and stores, would a poncho be to big or dripping water every where.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[
I'am leaving Set.-Oct 2020 to start Camino Frances and along they same question. It's my first Camino. If you don't bring a rain jacket and say you get to Pamplona or Leon and you want to walk around town and it's raining would you wear the poncho around town or would a light rain jacket be better. I want to go into shops and stores, would a poncho be to big or dripping water every where.

I use my poncho. Whether rain jacket or poncho, it is best to slip it off before going inside, and give it a shake.

I use a lightweight rain jacket (which is also a great wind-proof extra layer for cold but not rainy days) and a hands-free trekking umbrella. I had only one day of real rain plus a few minor showers during a may/june Camino Francés but the umbrella was used practically every day for sun protection. For a walk in a more rain-prone season, I'll add a 60 gr rain kilt to protect my legs.
Hi, could you post a picture or link for your unveils? Thanks

Those are technically combination parasol-umbrellas.

They're super cool.

Though personally, I tend to consider them as being big hats ... 🕵️‍♂️ :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have no doubt it is very good for sun protection. But when wind and rain are present you get wet .

Especially on the Norte or on the Costal.

I walked the Portuguese in the fall of 2017 and miraculously only had a few hours of light rain in five weeks so my rain jacket and pack cover were enough. For my French Camino next fall I plan to use your set up exactly as I too am really interested in the shade provided by the umbrella. I remember one day in particular walking 31 km in 31 degree heat, the last 5 km uphill along the side of an unshaded tarmac road. I would have killed for an umbrella!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you mind sharing with me how you attached your umbrella to your pack?
The Euroschirm umbrella comes with special clips to attach to your shoulder straps, and you attach the base of its extra long handle to your pack's waist belt.

There is a video on their website that shows how it works. I have one and it's very stable. I've tried rigging up regular umbrellas, but they never feel as secure and stable.

Poncho with sleeves. The most versatile by far.

I just hang over my pack like a pack cover; it actually keeps my gear far dryer that a pack cover.

As I sweat a lot, in a warm sprinkle I will just pull from my over-pack rain cover use and put over my shoulders and tie the sleeves. In the sideways rains, I fully deploy as a ponch-over-pack with sleeves. I also have an old pair of Golite rainpants that I use for sideways rain; they double as a wind break in cold weather.

When I enter a café, I just slip off the pack with poncho just outside or just inside to keep from covering the floor with water.

My layering system consists of light Merino base layer, a fleece (thickness depending on season) middle layer, and a Patagucci hardshell as an outer layer. The hardshell is repellent enough for evening townwear in all but the heaviest rains.

I also carry a cheap collapsible umbrella for rain and sun. Never paid for a nice euroschirm one since every single one has been trashed and bent with the wind—so that is a mere eu6 replacement in any village.

My hat is an old Seattle sombrero for sun protection and to control the Altus hood so I can see.

I have done enough rain walking (last LePuy had some 13 days straight) that I no longer pick my gear so my body stays dry, but so that I can stay warm even when wet. Everything I wear is quick drying and/or wicking. I do aim to protect the pack contents (poncho as raincover) (clothing in large ziplocks) so my clothes in the pack are dry to change into later.

So my rain kit is: Altus (493g), and Golite rainpants (128g), Mesh bag to hold raingear (50g), umbrella (240g), Seattle Sombrero (140g), polypro glove liners (43g).

Also the poncho can serve may other functions: sitz-pad, picnic table cover, another layer for wind protection, and less often as a sun/rain shelter. See davebuggs #60 post.

Here's the video

Thanks for your efforts to help me, unfortunately my umbrella is a Gossamer Gear and the handle is shorter. Now that I see the Euroschirm I think I like the look of that better. I will have to rig something up, a challenge for a snowy day when I am storm stayed.

Thanks for your efforts to help me, unfortunately my umbrella is a Gossamer Gear and the handle is shorter. Now that I see the Euroschirm I think I like the look of that better. I will have to rig something up, a challenge for a snowy day when I am storm stayed.
You Gossamer Gear umbrella probably weighs half of the handsfree umbrella.
Did you know that Gossamer Gear is now selling umbrella clips? I got a set for Christmas.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, they were not selling those clips when I purchased my umbrella. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be ordering them.

Wow, they were not selling those clips when I purchased my umbrella. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be ordering them.

They've had them for quite a while, but the Gossamer Gear website is still somewhat of a mess when trying to track down items. Accessories and add-ons, especially, do not seem to wind up in logical categories or appear as an option linked to the main product. The most recent and highly improved back pad/sit pad is a prime example of this.

So, it is THEM and not you. :)

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I took both and will take both again. I don't like getting wet! And, as a matter of course, next time I take two ponchos and one raincoat. You see, my only other layer of warmth is a wool sweater, therefore, the raincoat acts as protection against chilly temperatures as well.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bring a rain shell coat.

This year I will be walking from May 15 - June 21 on Camino (Same as last one I walked in 2015).

The last time I was on I encountered rain a total of 3 of the days, 2 of which were the 1st two days

@davebugg do you know if those umbrella clamps fit any shaft, or only the umbrella (Chrome) sold by Gossamer? I've already got a Helinox hiking umbrella (tried and well tested) and don't need another, but I'm sold on the clamps. For the last couple of walks I've not very successfully matched my Helinox with a Euroshirm fitting, using a glue gun to try to make the Euroshirm fit the thinner shaft Hellinox. It sort of worked, but the Gossamer gear clamps look much better.

Reading this I'm not sure it makes sense!

@davebugg do you know if those umbrella clamps fit any shaft, or only the umbrella (Chrome) sold by Gossamer? I've already got a Helinox hiking umbrella (tried and well tested) and don't need another, but I'm sold on the clamps. For the last couple of walks I've not very successfully matched my Helinox with a Euroshirm fitting, using a glue gun to try to make the Euroshirm fit the thinner shaft Hellinox. It sort of worked, but the Gossamer gear clamps look much better.

Reading this I'm not sure it makes sense!

Kanga, the Gossamer Gear clamps should work with the shaft diameter on your Helinox.

€149,-
For me, poncho all the way.

I made the mistake of not taking one in my last camino and, in a heavy rainy day before arriving Redondela, I was dry but the backpack, even with the rain protection, as wet.

So next time I´ll buy a poncho for sure.

€46,-
We prefer rain jackets- since in the evening on parts of San Salvador and Norte we needed all the warmth we could find and they served us well, also in the mornings when there was still frost on the ground. Our packs were so light- all our clothes were in use!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.