• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Raincoat or poncho?

Hey all - we are planning to start the C Frances on May 25th - July 2nd. We know the weather should be ok - but after reading a lot of threads, I’m still confused as to which one to take. I know everyone will have their preference on either a raincoat or poncho is better - but I was wondering those who took booth and have walked at that time of the year - which one would you suggest?

many thanks everyone!
Rick
I would prefer a poncho but I have tried two different ponchos and both of them leaked through the material and I was soaked . Altus brands.
Any comments on this Would be appreciated .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have taken both on different caminos. Raincoat is heavier but more comfortable. You also have to carry a rucksack cover. Poncho is lighter but not breathable so sweaty and smelly. Try them both before you go.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have taken both on different caminos. Raincoat is heavier but more comfortable. You also have to carry a rucksack cover. Poncho is lighter but not breathable so sweaty and smelly. Try them both before you go.

A poncho can become sweaty, but that also happens for some folks using waterproof/breathable rain-gear. A lot of factors are involved with regard to how one uses a poncho that can affect condensation levels. Some of those factors involve human error in use, and are correctable. Other things are just part-n-parcel of all rain-gear when you enclose the human body inside barrier materials while undergoing high levels of activity, :)

Ponchos are breathable by the airflow that they have and create. Airspace is created by the poncho being over the backpack and open at the neck, bottom and arms. One can shut down one or more of those openings and increase the levels of condensation.

Additionally, there are ponchos now which are made from Waterproof/Breathable fabrics (wp/b). So not only do these ponchos share the same thru-the-fabric limited 'breathabilty', but they retain the airflow advantages as well. An inexpensive ($15.00 usd) example of this is the Frogg Toggs Ultralight.

I used to use a zPacks 4 ounce poncho that is a wonderful bit of rain-gear. I still have it, but I find myself more often including the Frogg Toggs poncho when I head into the mountains, and on the last Camino.

Packa.
Goes on pack like a pack cover but arms hood and tail tuck inside. Then when the rain comes you can quickly pull out arms, etc. no stopping and fighting the wind to get traditional poncho on. thepacka.com
I used one April - June 2017. It rained, snowed, blew and was hot. Springtime is unpredictable.

Packa.
Goes on pack like a pack cover but arms hood and tail tuck inside. Then when the rain comes you can quickly pull out arms, etc. no stopping and fighting the wind to get traditional poncho on. thepacka.com
I used one April - June 2017. It rained, snowed, blew and was hot. Springtime is unpredictable.
Right now on the Packa website they have a great deal on some mislabeled Packas. Only $57 plus shipping.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Packa.

If used properly, a poncho is fine in the wind. I never have to fight with mine even in sideways blowing rain. The packa is a fine hybrid garment, and people like using it, but I find them to be a heavier alternative, and less multi-functional when compared to a poncho :)

Hey all - we are planning to start the C Frances on May 25th - July 2nd. We know the weather should be ok - but after reading a lot of threads, I’m still confused as to which one to take. I know everyone will have their preference on either a raincoat or poncho is better - but I was wondering those who took booth and have walked at that time of the year - which one would you suggest?

many thanks everyone!
Rick
We found the Altus to work extremely well for both of us for the reasons already discussed, although there was one day last fall where it rained from dawn to dark and we were pretty much soaked. There were several rainy days, but that was the only one where everything seemed to just give up and soak through. We also had very light (140gm) windbreakers that we found to be invaluable as well. There was one resulting concern in that our lowest temperatures were around 8-10C (40ish F) and I had a down vest and a down sweater. I didn't need the warmth while walking but starting thinking what if I did if it were 5-10 degrees colder and rainy. As a result, I have added a synthetic fabric sweater for next time. None of the fabrics insulate when wet, but the synthetic fabrics at least dry faster.

In thinking about rain pants: My shoes are not waterproof so my feet get wet in the rain which, other than chilly, is no big deal. Rain pants won't help that. The poncho covers everything but the bottom 8-10 inches of my pants which dry quickly. As a result, I doubt I'll consider rain pants in the future. Gaiters fall into the same consideration as I'm not sure what they protect is worth the weight.

Umbrellas are an intriguing idea. I've seen several through-walkers on the Arizona Trail using them, but only one on the Camino.

My experiences, walking the Francés during June/July I brought a rain jacket and a rain cover for my rucksack. When it rained it’s a bit of a fuss getting your pack off to get your jacket and cover your pack. Then the jacket acted like a sauna as it was hot, the rain dribbled down off the jacket on to my legs, also rain can get down your back between you and the pack! Last year we walked a bit of the Portugués, again brought my jacket, we met up with a lovely American couple who became our Portugues CaminoFamily, they had ponchos when it rained it was so simple, they just threw it over themselves, and they didn’t need to carry the pack cover. This year we’re walking part of the Norte and we’re investing in ponchos 😄 My sister takes a jacket and a small umbrella which stops the rain going down her back!
Bon Camino 😄👣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

many thanks everyone!
Rick
Couple of things to consider. If you buy a poncho, it will be put away along side your sleeping bag when you're back home. If you have a waterproof jacket, you have something you can wear often. Ponchos can be a bit of a problem getting on.

Altus Poncho with Shorts and gaiters over the shoes. You stay dry through any downpour.

Kathy

I researched this quite a bit, and went with The Packa.
It is a cross between a rain coat, pack cover, and a poncho.
Best I've ever heard of or seen for wearing rain gear while wearing a backpack.
It has a LOT of ventilation, and I did not become wet from condensation under it.
I used a Packa on my Camino Frances and it was super light -- it only rained 3 days. Only problem was once I got it off, it was so thin and wet, it was hard to get back on again. Also doesn't change to a rain jacket. But I LOVED it and I am getting another since I also bring an ultralight umbrella. (Best decision I ever made when it gets hot).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.