• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Raincoat-Poncho

Like Annie, mine came down almost to my ankles. I had a pair rainpants but I also made a pair of spats out of an old raincoat that reached above the ankles - you could make long spats if you are tall.

Attachments

• Spats short.jpg
    Spats short.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 4,634
  • Spats 1.pdf
    62 KB · Views: 200
  • Spats 2.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 160
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Sil for those statistics!

The Altus does sound/look great but I am on a budget and am in shock at how much equipment costs. Stopped by a shop today and was horrified to see that a pair of smartwool socks cost 20 euros and a silk bed liner 45 euros :shock: !

Need to be a smart shopper - hope that I find some things on sale.

Cheers,
LTfit

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are wearing trekking shoes or light boots then the BEST socks on the market are the 1000 mile socks made in the UK that sell for about £8
The unique double layer cotton/nylon sock was initially developed as a medical aid for sufferers from poor circulation and foot associated problems, especially among diabetics. As the benefits and reputation of the sock spread, athletes became interested in the socks as a means of preventing blistering, and controlling perspiration, during their training and competitive running programmes.
The 1000 Mile sock is a sock within a sock. The inner layer stays with the foot, the outer layer moves with the shoe thus eliminating friction on the skin and reducing wear. The unique mixture of fibres helps to keep the foot cool, dry and blister free.
1000 Mile socks are available in 60 different styles, so whether you prefer a moisture wicking sports sock, a comfortable argyle golf sock or a sock which blends Tactel®, nylon and wool for walking and trekking... there is a sock in the range to suit every individual.
Each sock is available in the following sizes for a complete customised fit:-

Small UK 3-5½ - Medium UK 6-8½ - Large UK 9-11 - X-Large UK 12-14 Ladies Small UK 3-5½ -
Ladies Medium UK 6-8

http://www.sheactive.co.uk/brand.html?s ... ype=brand&

I bought a silk sleep liner from the SilkSleepingbag Co in the UK for £24
Chinese brands are slightly cheaper.

You can buy silk liners on ebay for under $12. You could also make one really easily. All you do is buy some silk or polyester or very lightweight cotton and sew two rectangles together, leaving one end open. A person could even do it by hand.

I"d personally spend the money on the socks, shoes, backpack, and poncho. I think the Altus is only around $28.

You can also try craigslist or resell shops like Goodwill for great equipment.

Make a wish list, focus on it, and start watching what you need appear!

Tks Sil and Annie!
So you only need one pair of socks if you go for the 1000 mile sock version :?:

Just started a thread asking advice from other Dutch pilgrims. Sports equipment is so much more expensive here in Holland than in the U.S. I am originally from the States and stock up on running shoes and other sports clothes when visiting my dad in Florida. Unfortunately no trip planned before heading off on the Camino in July.

I did see a silk liner which was on sale for 19 euros - a ladies model which was a bit short. It was also pink :lol: maybe that is why is was on sale!

I'll keep looking and who knows Annie maybe some of my 'needs' will be met.

Cheers,
Lee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ditto on the Altus being worth it.

Equipment is a lot more expensive in Europe than the States... I actually had my mom bring over some things like walking clothes and a silk liner from the US when she came to visit me before I started walking! There is one European shop called 'Quechua' that sells high quality, very low cost hiking/camping/outdoors equipment and clothing. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about it until I started walking the camino, but I discovered that virtually every Italian I met got everything from there. Maybe they also have a shop near you, or you can order online?

-another Annie :)

Wow Annie (fiddletree) thanks for linking me up with Quechua. Googled the name and came up with the French sport outfitter Decathlon which has a store in Holland. Quechua must be their own brand. Prices are indeed very reasonable - at least for European standards.
Thanks for posting the info!
Cheers,
Lee

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just bought a poncho yesterday but the Altus seems great. Think I'm gonna order that one instead. Question though. If I buy the Altus I'm thiking of taking the rain cover for my bag off, What do you think? Good or bad?

Leave your backpack cover at home - you won't need it, just extra weight. The ALTUS special 'hunchback' feature covers your backpack and you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mediana said:
I just bought a poncho yesterday but the Altus seems great. Think I'm gonna order that one instead. Question though. If I buy the Altus I'm thiking of taking the rain cover for my bag off, What do you think? Good or bad?
We are taking the covers for our backpacks as we might need them if it is damp, when we don't want to wear our ponchos but do need to keep our packs dry.
If it is wet enough to need the ponchos they go over everything like the Altus, but also 'fall free' when we don't have packs on.
Glad your new boots are good and comfy. They look like ours, which are great and really good to walk in.
Buen Camino,
Tia Valeria

The nice thing about the ALTUS is that it opens completely in the front so if it is damp, you can either wear it liake a cape - tied around the neck only and draped over the back, or you can wear like open like a raincoat. I often opened it and took my arms out of the sleeves but left it draped over my shoulders and pack in case the rain came back.

I draped mine just over the cape too, but a nysil pack cover is pretty lightweight and I did use it on misty days where I didn't need the poncho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reb, I know I read somewhere that you were using an Altus this Camino. Some day when you get home again, I would be interested to have your comments on how it worked out on the very windy and cold days you had. It is very difficult to even find a poncho here, as it can be very windy in our mountains, and a poncho would not survive it. So I have always been a raincoat-wearer.... but I would be interested to know what happened in the wind over there....
Margaret

has anybody had any user experience of the Siltarp Poncho?
it appears truly multi-purpose - opens as a tarp (5 x 8 ft) and then has snap closures to form the poncho.
it has shock chords at the waist and thigh to stop it flapping in the wind. And it has the hunch to take your backpack.
I cannot see the watercolumn rating from their website.
Any experiences with this one?
http://www.integraldesigns.com
go fast and lifgt, then siltarp, then siltarp poncho
Thanks
tamtamplin

This is really similar to the Rohan poncho , the only difference is that it doeasn't have a pouch, which we prefer. From the Silponcho photo we can finally see how to support it in tarp mode. Ours have support positions at both ends to make a bivvie tent. (Might have realised before, but we use long sticks not walking poles!) On offer at present from Rohan, we wouldn't use anything else and they are advertised as being for use in tropical rain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
tamtamplin said:
go fast and lifgt, then siltarp, then siltarp poncho

Sil,

have you branched out into walking kit manufacture?

:D Maybe its time we all collaborated on designs and manufactured our own brand of 'el camino kit"!

Sil,

The perfect camino kit exists. It's called ''Umbrella''.

They are used everywhere in the world. Why wouldn't they fit on the camino?

That's all I use and I do fine in the rain on the trails.
I feel that this concern for rain gear is over exagerated.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks Tia
the Rohan looks great
?seems theres not a whole lot between the 2
weight similar 340g vs 280 for the Siltarp
cost GP56 VS EURO 95 for the Siltarp
spose it comes down to water collumn and shipping costs

take it easy
tamtamplin

I saw two pilgrims with umbrellas on the Frances in September two years ago.
This was on the Meseta during a storm.

One lost hers to the wind.
The other one turned inside out.
Both pilgrims were soaked.

The Altus is made of strong material.
It will not shred in the wind.
Unlike other ponchos, it fits close enough to the body, and is long enough that the wind doesn't go up inside it. It is very much more like a rainCOAT with a hump to cover your pack.

Joe had troubles in the wind with his poncho.
I did not.

I didn't like ponchos before I got the Altus.
Now I'm sold.
It is a wonderful thing! :lol:

The Altus poncho can be used when you are hiking and when you are not. It fits a little closer than most ponchos, has sleeves rather than open sides (so you don't catch the wind and it does not flap around like most ponchos), and it opens all the way up the front with both a zipper and velco spots so you can adjust it as need be (again, most ponchos do not open all the way up the front).

When I was concerned about keeping my pack dry and the rain/mist was intermittant, I took my arms out of the sleeves and tied the sleeves across my belly. My pack was protected and it was easy to slip my arms back in when the rain got heavy (and it DID). In several instances, I partially zipped/velcroed to give my front some protection while still leaving my arms out. Plus there are snaps so that if you are not wearing your pack, you can snap it up in the back to work as a raincoat.

When it was chilly/windy, I layered a lightweight fleece underneath over my tee. I walked last September from SJPP to Santiago. I had a pair of microweight fleece pants which I put over my hiking pants/shorts if it was chilly (also wore these at night if the alberque was cold)--they dried quickly and remained warm even if wet. Layering is key. But the Altus poncho is a nice one at a reasonable price and weight. I carried no other jacket.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had the problem with my Altus of being very wet on the inside, due to perspiration, condensation or whatever it was. Maybe because it was misty, rainy and cold outside. At least my backpack was dry. I still have mixed feelings about it. My niece had a simple poncho style and was never wet inside. No idea why.
I do take a lightweight umbrella that works great when it is a light shower and which I use when the sun is strong and hot. I would like to rig it into my backpack so that I do not have to use my hand to hold it up.
Lillian

All which proves that each person has their own unique experience, whether it is shoes, sleeping bag, or rain gear.

In the end, do what FEELS best for you!

WOW-WEEE!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
This post has had 10,534 views and 125 replies!
Shows just how important good raingear is!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have poured over these posts and visited both the Altus and the Madrid sporting good store websites, and even written to the latter to no avail. I want an Altus poncho, but I'm not going to pay 45 Euros to have it shipped to the States so that I can take it back to Spain. At present, my plan is to take the subway from the airport to downtown Madrid to go to the sporting good store to buy itwhen I arrive on May 17 (only six weeks away!!!) . Can I be assured they will have one in stock? Maybe they just have not gotten to my email yet.

I have a waterproof jacket made of a fabulous new fabric called Event fabric. It really breathes, but I want to have the Altus to cover everything.

Janet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
jeploss said:
Can I be assured they will have one in stock? Maybe they just have not gotten to my email yet.

I have a waterproof jacket made of a fabulous new fabric called Event fabric. It really breathes, but I want to have the Altus to cover everything.

Janet

They seem to have everything in stock. I order my Altus this weekend. Yesterday I got a test message saying it was dispatches and on its way. (Yesterday was first working day) I wouldn't worry but just to be sure, you can always call them a day or two ahead.

Hello !
My husband and I have just come back from our Camino, which was a beautiful and... very wet experience ! We had started from Ambasmestas so we had the climb to O Cebreiro and we experienced all kind of weather including snow, hail and wind storms, and above all lots of rain.
So I wanted to say that we absolutely LOVE our Altuses who kept us dry and warm and going through all this !! (together with gaiters).
They became like a second skin during these days, and we really came to commiserate with many Spanish walkers which poncho shreds decorated the path... 8)

For those of you who would like to get an Altus poncho without the high shipping charges for deliveries outside of Spain, here's one idea. I'm going to be landing in Barajas and making my way to the train station Atocha to get the AVE to Sevilla.

The Barrabes store is located near the Metro stop Cuzco, and I plan to stop there on my way in to Madrid from the airport. I have called the store, and they agreed to hold a poncho for me till my arrival in 3 weeks. Staff is very nice, very helpful.

And if you would like to do this and your Spanish isn't good enough, just PM me and I'm happy to call the store and arrange it for you.

Laurie

p.s. One question for the lucky Altus poncho owners -- The staff person I spoke with told me there are only two sizes, S/M and L. Can you give me your experiences with the sizing? I'm 5'7" (which my computer tells me is 1.70 m), medium build and have ordered the S/M -- does that seem right to you guys? There are a few posts in this thread that suggest that these ponchos are huge.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Laurie - the S/M will be fine for you. My friend Marion is about the same height and same build and hers was big on her. The Large would fit a really large man.

Val and Marion in their S/M Altus rain-ponchos.

Attachments

• Val and Marion.jpg
    Val and Marion.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 4,130
I agree absolutely with Sil. Get the S/M. I am the same height as you but quite a bit larger and the S/M on me is still VERY roomy. But that is good because it allows for air flow. Also, on my height the S/M comes is mid-calf length.

Sheesh

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sheesh said:
I agree absolutely with Sil. Get the S/M. I am the same height as you but quite a bit larger and the S/M on me is still VERY roomy. But that is good because it allows for air flow. Also, on my height the S/M comes is mid-calf length.

Sheesh

Really? Mine only goes to the knees, and I'm only 1.65 cm (I think that is 5'4")

That's odd. I wonder if the "cut" has changed since I bought mine two years ago. Just tried it on and it comes two inches below my knee in the front and three inches in the back.

I agree with Mediana, I just bought one and it goes about 10 cm below my knees, I am 1.63 cm, I would have liked it a little bit longer.
But on the Altus homepage there is a size information, I copy:
"Sizing:
The larger size is for users over 170cm
The length of the smaller size is 104cm (105cm from top of zip to bottom)
Both sizes have a very generous cut."

Josefine

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
regarding the size thing: yes, it appears they may have change cut, because following what I had read here I bought the S/M size for both my husband (1,76) and I (1,70). It was ok as long as rain did not come together with wind which uplifted his poncho a bit and let his knees bare. When the wind was really stark, my junction poncho/gaiters would too become slightly unsufficient.

sillydoll said:
Like Annie, mine came down almost to my ankles. I had a pair rainpants but I also made a pair of spats out of an old raincoat that reached above the ankles - you could make long spats if you are tall.

How easy it is to while away the hours on this site . . . but I love it! There's always something to be learned, some item that can 'multi task' or some way to cut down weight.
I found a double use for 'spats' last year when I used them as hand covers for sun protection. I just pinned a tuck in the elastic to fit around wrist and let them flap over my hands, nicely protecting the backs of my hands and fingers, while still leaving my fingers free to hold sticks, etc. When not needed. they just fold back over my sleeve, like a cuff. Look a bit weird, but I'm now really into covering my fair, freckled skin and this worked a treat.

My one big anti 'Altus' grouch is the weight. 450gms is more than double a light poncho. In spite of this, we bought Altus in Madrid last year (maybe got ripped off . . . cost 40E) , threw away our old ponchos and took them on the Madrid Camino. Mostly the weather was fine, and we wondered if we'd done the right thing in carrying these heavier raincoats, until the day it rained and blew a gale all day. The Altus worked a treat. The purchase and the weight were justified. However, so unused to rain were we, forgot to put the spats on my legs, water got in and soaked my feet. SO . . . spats are essential in wind and rain. Will get them off hands and onto feet next time.

Weight, and sneaky ways of lightening the load, is my big "thing" . . . so am now thinking about our Altus in relation to next years planned camino from Granada in April. Thus far we've had a mere 3 full rainy days total in 3 caminos, but we can't expect all fine weather in April down in southern Spain, so the Altus will come with us. Anniesantiago's idea of using Altus as a blanket has multi tasking potential, so will now experiment with that idea and maybe downsizing sleeping bag or just takeing a liner bag. Thanks Annie. :idea: Might even leave behind my trusty sarong (don't laugh) It's sooooo useful . .wrap, curtain, ground sheet, curtain, towel, etc

Sil, your knowledge of all things camino, your patience and helpfullness is amazing. Big thanks from me.
I love all this planning!
Carole

Thank you so much Peregrina2000 for the details on the metro stop. And the more I read this topic the more convinced I am to get an Altus. I'm even thinking of making spats!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much Peregrina2000 for the details on the metro stop. And the more I read this topic the more convinced I am to get an Altus. I'm even thinking of making spats!

Barrabes.com advertises the ALTUS at 33 euro so you probably were ripped off.

One of the Durban central Catholic Church programs runs a sewing group made up of refugees from other African countries. They mostly make school uniforms for refugee children and clothing for homeless people. I think I must investigate the possibility of them making a raincoat similar to the ALTUS, as well as Spats and gaiters to sell for funds. The First National Bank (Barclays) is establishing a PAYPAL facility so it will be easy to pay them that way.
Will keep you updated.

sillydoll said:
Barrabes.com advertises the ALTUS at 33 euro so you probably were ripped off.

One of the Durban central Catholic Church programs runs a sewing group made up of refugees from other African countries. They mostly make school uniforms for refugee children and clothing for homeless people. I think I must investigate the possibility of them making a raincoat similar to the ALTUS, as well as Spats and gaiters to sell for funds. The First National Bank (Barclays) is establishing a PAYPAL facility so it will be easy to pay them that way.
Will keep you updated.

What a good idea supporting the refugees this way. I would order a raincoat- poncho and a pair of gaiters when more info comes. (Not that I can´t buy them here but this way I would support refugees in your country by giving them a job to do).
annie

There you go, Sil, sold one already. Great idea. They'd certainly sell locally within SA and probably here to Aust. and NZ. I guess reliability of postage could be an issue, and they'd need a reliable source of suitable fabric. It has great potential I'm sure and people would like to support such a worthwhile cause.

Good luck. :D
Carole

Couldn't get a photo to post here but if you look in my photos posted in The Albergue (at the bottom of the home page), you will see that my Altus comes about 8" below the knee. I am 5'8" and ordered the XL because I wanted to be sure it was long enough. I think the S/M would have worked just as well.

Sil, Could you please detail a little more on the design and making of the spats? Your great idea for refugees manufacturing ponchos and spats which we could purchase as a set won't be up and running before my Camino. I want to make a pair of spats. I saw the photo you provided earlier, but is it elastic at the top, velcro, or what? And what's the shape and size of the raincoat material you cut to make them? Thanks in advance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I included a pattern on this post:

equipment-questions/topic3183-100.html

If you can't download it from there, you'll find it here:

http://www.thankyoufornotbeingperky.com/?p=287

They are a little tricky to make as you have to cut two of each side, sew front to back and then turn inside out. There is wide elastic at the top and velcro down the outside. I also attached a largish hook (from a large hook and eye) on the front which hooks onto the shoelace. You can also attach a strip of strong elastic that goes under the instep of the boot to keep them looking neat.

can anyone please describe the Altus for me

i have been keen on the Silponcho Tarp because it opens up flat like a poncho
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...T<>prd_id=845524442620871&bmUID=1264967728855

and especially becuase it is not closed in like sleeves on the arms - ie giving a bit more ventilation
it has poppers which can be clipped closed to keep the poncho closer to your body, and to prevent it flapping too much

and this would probably make it easier to put on in a hurry without having to take off your pack?

help please!

tamtamplin

The Altus is a raincoat - not a poncho - but it has an added 'humpback' to cover a backpack so you don't have to take your pack off to put the raincoat on.
It has a hood, long raglan style sleeves with velcro on the wrists, airvents on the chest, zips open all the way in the front as well as velcro down the front .

Attachments

• raincoat-poncho-742216.jpg
    raincoat-poncho-742216.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 6,104
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I printed the pattern for making the spats, but then I found a fabulous pair of gaiters designed for rain. I'm not much of a seamstress, so I bought Outdoor Research's Salamander Gaiters at REI for $45.
I think they will work perfectly. With the Altus rain coat, I'll be all set. I'm almost hoping it rains so that I can use this stuff!!

Janet

You can buy the Altus easily in Spain. Even in teeny tiny Sean Jean Pied de Port where I started, there was a shop that carried it.

I am a short, small woman, but I got the 'Large' Altus. Reason? Because it is longer. And when it is raining I can put my hands in the sleeves to keep them dry and warmer. Longer is definitely better, in my opinion, because it keeps you dryer and warmer!

Because they don't seem to sell the Altus in the US, I bought a backpack-friendly poncho from REI. It certainly doesn't look as effective as the Altus. Does anyone know how much the Altus costs? I'm thinking it might be worthwhile buying one in StJPP.
Thanks!
Nancy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They cost between 28 euro and 33 euro - depending on where you buy one.

In my zealousness and knowing it would be useful before my Camino....I had one sent from Spain. :roll:

It does seem great--I ordered the larger size--I am only 5'6" but not tiny so it is a good length for me. (This was in January 2010)

To have it sent it to Western Canada was very expensive, as they use courier, so the shipping cost was a lot more than the cost of the item. But I think it arrived in 4 days---I have it now and it pleases me.

Depending on its usefulness to you before departure and how desperate you are to have it either now, (anticipated weather, packing, etc.) or immediately on arrival without shopping......it isn't really a recommended way due to the cost. Unless you are independently wealthy..and then you might not be for long at that rate.

No regrets about the item. Heavier than the Siltarp material---and that has plusses and minusses .

Lynda

Nandy61 said:
Does anyone know how much the Altus costs? I'm thinking it might be worthwhile buying one in StJPP. Nancy
Nancy, I found the sports shop in SJPP late May 2008 as I was thinking about getting a poncho/raincoat. However, they only had a few to choose from when I was there, and none of them inspired me - mostly due to sleeve design, type of material used etc. I didn't see an Altus then. As far as I could tell from the info I was given (by the unhelpful tourist office- don't go there- ask your questions at your gîte or the Pilgrim Office!) this was the only sports shop in SJPP. There isn't a Decathlon store there, and as far as I can tell from the Decathlon website, Altus isn't a brand they carry.
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I called the shop in SJPP (Maya Sport) today, and asked them it they had the Altus Poncho. They answered that Altus isn't a brand they sell... :( So it seems that buying the famous raincoat in SJPP won't be possible, unless there is another store. Also, I tried buying the Altus from the Barrabes website, but it won't work...do they ship to Canada at all? I think that I ll end up buying the poncho from Campmor which isn't that bad after all :wink:

Marianna

Coquelicot said:
. . . Also, I tried buying the Altus from the Barrabes website, but it won't work...do they ship to Canada at all? I think that I ll end up buying the poncho from Campmor which isn't that bad after all
Marianna, I ordered mine 2 months ago, using the international version of the website: Look at the upper right-hand corner of the home page. The shipping cost is extremely steep. They use DHL and the pkg. arrived in California in just a few days. I wish they sent it by slower post and charged less for shipping. (I had extra Euros on my Euro Money Card, so I didn't feel the pain too much.) However, their customer service is EXCELLENT. By mistake I ordered the Altus in Size Large. Corresponding with them was such a pleasure (Cindra is my new best friend). I mailed back the poncho, using U.S. Postal Service, in a lined envelope, uninsured: less expensive, got there in less than a week. They sent me the proper size and did not charge me for shipping the exchange.
How's this: have Barrabes post the poncho to someone you know in Spain; have that person send it to your arrival city's post office poste restante and you pick it up there. Complicated, I know, and truly expensive if you're a careless online shopper like I was. But I like the poncho a lot!

Rebecca

Not sure this will help. A pilgrim I hiked with purchased her Altus in Burgos at the sporting goods shop over the river and maybe six blocks--can't think of the name of it--on a main street--Calle de Madrid? Easy to walk on foot. Rather small shop on a triangular corner (two floors--the Altus and hiking gear was upstairs)--anyway, they carried plenty of them but they were all red. Same place another pilgrim ended up buying new hiking shoes. There was a WONDERFUL bakery on the way with exceptional ciabbata bread right out of the oven--yum! And a small shop with great cheese--can you tell where my priorities were? And also the supermercado which was really an indoor farmers market was only a couple of blocks over. Sorry I am not more definitive. I do not have my Burgos map here. There is a huge sporting goods store further out but pilgrims who went there went by bus or taxi. Not sure if there is a place in Pamplona.

They could also post it to you care of the St Jean post office.
Just make sure you arrive when the Post Office is open!

Your name
Poste Restante
St Jean Pied-de-Port

The wonderment of google! The shop was Base at 18 Calle de Madrid! I zoomed in on the street picture and there it was!!!! Golly it brings back memories as we walked there twice.

Thank you everyone for your priceless information! The barrabes site ended up functioning (thank you Rebecca :) ) However, I am still uncomfortable with the price :roll: so I'll probably buy the campmor and then once in Madrid (I fly home from there) I'll buy the Altus for my futur caminos :lol:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
can anybody who is currently walking in the rain and storms give me the low down on the efficiency of the rain gear they are using
good or bad
are you happy with your choice now that you're having to live with it?
or do you regret your decision?

I walked for two weeks in the rain, sometimes a steady downpour. The Altus poncho was great, particularly when gaiters were added.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
tamtamplin said:
can anybody who is currently walking in the rain and storms give me the low down on the efficiency of the rain gear they are using
good or bad
are you happy with your choice now that you're having to live with it?
or do you regret your decision?
My Rohan poncho and Regatta waterproof over trousers were great. The poncho was a real life saver as I had to sleep rolled into it one night when I got a very damp, cold bed. (The poncho had dried out very quickly even after pouring rain).
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Before leaving Oz for the Le Puy route this Feb, I bought a quite expensive sil-nylon tarp poncho. I was guided by the quite high price and profile of the manufacturer. It was on the Aubrac Plateau that I learnt I'd made my biggest mistake.

First, a poncho of this design is hard to get on without help, especially in wind and if you like a high set pack. That's not really a quality or design fault, but, imagine my surprise when my poncho, when stretched against a headwind, proved not to be waterproof. Credencial and passport which were hanging from my neck in a pouch got soaked, as did the surface of my pullover. This was not condensation but surface moisture! Next a high wind lifted my poncho and the clips gave way, meaning my pack and body copped a soaking.

The only way I could get through those days was to tie the poncho to myself somehow and keep all essentials in plastic bags. When I got to Espalion there was, by sheer good luck, a very complete gear shop where I was able to buy a Lafuma poncho for a price much higher than I might have paid in a large town, but still much less than the original poncho. The normal price for the Lafuma is as low as 35 euros, same as the comparable Altus.

I bought the zipped version, which was very easy to get on and off, and I thought the shortish design was very good for ventilation. Sleeves and legs got wet, nothing else did, even in all day rain.

After I donated the old poncho for recycling I saw the exact same one on a Danish pilgrim. It wasn't mine, it was purchased in Denmark. He explained that he'd had his wife re-sow the whole garment so it was useable. I suggested he should also waterproof it!

I'm not naming the brand that failed because I believe in complaining first to the company. People should have the chance to remedy things, and this company does come up with some very good designs. They just don't get the quality issue for people in wilderness situations.(They market a travel cup which is a great design. Sadly, the microwave-ready cup warped and even bubbled in the microwave first time. That's not the end of the world, but an unuseable poncho on the Aubrac could very easily end someone's world.)

Hope this helps someone

Rob

shot Rob
please dont let this be a review for Integral Designs Silponcho Tarp!
its been on my hunting list
and has what looks like the best specs in town
but this might sink it?

Anyone trying to decide about rainwear, please look back through this forum stream, especially the image at top of this page. I doubt you can better the Altus raincoat. It works, keeps out the rain, doesn't flap around, will stay down in wind, has a cap visor to keep water off glasses and covers your pack as well as you. It works.

It's a raincoat -- not a poncho. :lol:
Buen camino a todos. Carole.

HI all, I just got the small Altus, I am 162 cm tall and weigh around 65 kg. It fits perfectly even over my Aarn Liquid Agility pack with compact front pockets. It is easy to put on while walking and I love having the option of just wrapping it around in a capelike fashion held by velcro on hot, slightly rainy days or using the sleeves and zipping it up when you want to get warm, stop it from flapping and it is raining heavily. In my humble opinion after 2600 km on pilgrims' trails it is the perfect solution, I have had a gortex jacket, ex army rain poncho, other type of poncho, knee length gortex coat and this is the bees knees. It leaves all other options for dead. I had it sent to my mum in Germany, who then posted it on to me in New Zealand, as I could not cope with the huge shipping costs, which were courier based. Gitti

Tamtamplin, my dud tarp/poncho was not Integral Designs. When I go again I'm actually taking a canopy tarp as well as my Lafuma poncho. I grew up with floorless tents and actually prefer them.The tarp I have in mind is a Bearpaws Canopy 1, sets up with trekking poles and weighs very little. I'd rather sleep out than listen to snoring so I'll be aiming to do a mix of camping and individual accomodation.

Both the Lafuma and Altus were available in several outlets in St Jean. The Altus gives more cover, I think, but the slightly shorter Lafuma, with its poncho sleeves gives more ventilation, especially the zipped model. Both seem excellent, are stable in wind and are cheap if bought locally. The Lafuma is easier to find in France, the Altus more available in Spain. I met plenty of people using both and no-one was having probs. I'd be unwilling to experiment with anything else, especially something multi-purpose. However, I know that Integral Designs make good stuff, so maybe your idea is a good one. It's just that I'm once bitten. I walked from Espellet to St Jean in solid, all-day rain and the Lafuma kept me and my pack dry. With the Altus, even my sleeves would have been dry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thanks all for your suggestions
i spose its a call between specialist rain gear and more versatile tarp
for sure, i dont want to be doing a review post walk, admitting a bad decision
so thanks
the bearpaws kit / tents / tarp looks awesome for versatile outdoors in good summer weather.
must admit, the Lafuma design made me feel i was back at Woodstock in the 60s ! Wide bell-bottom flared arms, and all :mrgreen:
thanks Rob for the clarity on the Siltarp - relief

I weigh 65 kg and am 161 cm short, the small is very roomy on me and the lenght perfect, I would ask the people at Barrabes for advice, cheers, Gitti

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nidarosa...THank you! I just couldn't get it to work last night....I'll have to back up and edit that electronic gibberish! Amazed you could figure it out!

BY the way folks, the guy at Packa, Eddie, the creator is a delight to work with...and very accomadating. I'm planning on ordering one fairly soon, as the fall/winter hiking season is upon me here!

K

Hi Ksam,
This looks interesting, like Altus but short, which would be OK if you don't mind legs getting wet. Couple of questions important to me....

1) Weight? Looks like Packa would be lighter than Altus which is my one and only problem with the latter. We have Altus raincoat/ponchos and they are great, but I will have to leave behind something else to compensate for weight.

2) Water proof? Fabric seems very light, but does it keep out the rain?

3) Availability? Guess I should have checked web site first.

Love to hear how you find the Packa.

Oops....should have gone to the website first...... so now answering my own questions:-

!) Weight. Packa = 13 oz/about 350gms . . . . . . . Altus= 17oz/490gms
Difference of 4oz/140gms .

2) Water proof? Yes.

3) Availability. Still wondering if its available in Australia or online?

Before I bought an ALTUS I used to take a pack cover and a Regatta rain suit (jacket and trousers). Together they weighed twice as much as the ALTUS.

Point taken Sil. Thanks. :)

Altus still rocks.

CaroleH said:
Oops....should have gone to the website first...... so now answering my own question
3) Availability. Still wondering if its available in Australia or online?

Had to laugh... I do that kind of thing all the time! I'd email Eddie...I'm certin he'd be willing to work with you and figure the most cost effective method of shipment. Apparently he's still not into real, mass production. So sometimes size availability or color options relative to size may not be as varied.

Figures it would be super light, as anyone who does the AT (Appalachin Trail) as a thru hike (nearly 2000 miles), cares about weight like you wouldn't believe. They have to as there are no bars, no alburges, nada! On the AT everything is on your back, including often a tent or tarp, food for about a week, sometimes more, water...and the list goes on. That's what drew me to this product. It AT hikers feel it's worth the weight....it's good and light.

Good luck shopping and Buen Camino, Karin :arrow:

I'm happy with my full-zip Lafuma, but can see great advantages in both the Altus, for its greater cover, and the Packa, for its lightness, easy-on, and the fact it's silnylon. The Packa is a bit short perhaps? And the Altus might be a bit less ventilated than the Lafuma? Can't be sure, but I'd be happy to take any one of the three. The Altus and Lafuma are cheap and freely available on the trail, so that's good news for pilgrims.

The pricey poncho/tarp which let me down badly was a Sea-to-Summit. They didn't seem interested in any feedback when I emailed them, so it's probably okay to name the brand here. Too hard to get on, useless in high wind...this was to be expected from the two-purpose design. What was harder to forgive was the fact that the silnylon was not fully waterproof and I got my credencial and passport slightly soaked. I've since learned that inferior batches of sil exist, and it's important to get good stuff. It's so light and airy that I'd love to see a sil version of the Altus or Lafuma.

On the subject of sil...

Today I took delivery of a Bear Paw tarp, annex and bug bivy, all silnylon. The ebay seller was so kind as to proof the seams for me. Also bought some stuff sacks of sil. Even if I elect to take the bug-bivy as well as the tarp on my next stage of the Camino, the weight of the whole lot will be much less than the extra clothing I won't be taking this time. I have high hopes of being able to camp out occasionally without being overloaded. This arrangement is, of course, for those happy with floorless tents. Having done most of my camping in the seventies and eighties with a floorless japara tent, I actually prefer this now out-of-fashion arrangement.

Thanks for an informative thread, and the pointer to the tempting Packa.

The Lafuma look good.
The advantage of the ALTUS is the long sleeves with velcro at the wrists to keep arms dry and the full opening down the front so that you can wear it open. Also the price - 28 euro instead of 42 euro!

I've walked the Camino two different years. The first time withOUT the Altus, and the second time WITH it.

For me, the Altus is worth every penny and every headache to get! While I got chilled and sick the first time around from rain blowing UP the poncho or down my neck (because there are times the rain does blow hard and sideways on the Camino); with the Altus, I stayed perfectly dry!

I got lucky and purchased mine used from another pilgrim who had finished her Camino and was on her way home. I ran into her at Ivar's shop when I was storing stuff while I walked. (I flew INTO Santiago, then took a bus to Sevilla to start walking last trip).

I had sort of pooh poohed the Altus, but man did I eat my words!

It was not only good for rain, keeping me and my pack 100% dry in even the worst downpours, I wore it instead of a heavy jacket when the wind was blowing cold, and it was the perfect windbreaker, keeping me warm from my head to my ankles. It was easy to unsnap it if I got warm walking.

If I could only take 2 items besides my clothes, I"d take my Marmot Pounder sleeping bag and my Altus.

Hi,
I just received my Altus poncho and it is lovely. However, I mistakenly ordered the large. I am 153cm 'tall' and 58kg. It is quite large on me and comes down to just above my ankles, but seems quite comfortable . Does anyone see any problems with me using a poncho so large, or would I be better off selling it on to someone else in Australia and buying a Small?
By the way, I bought it from peregrinoteca.com; it cost 25.34 euros (before tax) and 16.94 euros for shipping-49.89 euros total. It arrived within the week.

Thanks, Sue

Hi there, Have just seen references to the packa earlier in this thread and feel I should give a few comments on my experience. I bought a Packa last year, but must say I will never take it again. I was warned (in the parcel when it arrived) to waterproof the seams before I used it, but forgot didn't I ?! This meant that I got wet and had to buy some seam sealant to do the job while en route. This is not effective as when the seams are pulled, as they are when you take the garment off, or put it on, they start to leak again because the sealant is weakened. It also means that the garment looks very tacky with seam sealant all over it. I actually wore a (fortunately waterpfoof) wind jacket UNDER the Packa in order to stay dry. If they can come up with a system to heat seal the seams so that they don't leak the Packa would be fantastic, but until then I will look for something else, and I WON"T be taking my Packa with me next year! The length was Ok too and I am 5'7" tall, and plenty of room to move - just a shame about the seams. Cheers, Janet

Janet, the ALTUS seams are sealed with clear sealing tape. Perhaps you could buy som tape somewhere to seal your Packa seams? If that is all that is wrong with it, maybe some tape will make it perfect for you?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My Altus got a very good workout when a sudden storm blew up while I was on a training hike on Sunday. Putting it on in high winds proved a bit of a challenge, but once on it kept me warm and dry above the knees [the winds blew it up a little]. I wear a peaked cap to stop the hood falling over my face, which led my wife to remark that I looked like a big blue penguin.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Re sizing, I am 160 cm tall and weigh around 64 kg and got the medium size Altus, which was perfect. Had it been longer i.e. the large version, I think I might have tripped on steep bits of path. Gitti

Thanks for that, Gitti. I had not considered the uphill bit. It will be very hard with mine being so long. I will see if I can exchange my large for a small.
22 weeks before I leave. Can't wait!

Sue

have a fantastic time Sue. By the way if you have a friend in Europe, get it sent there and get the friend to post it to you in Australia. It works out much cheaper than having it sent directly by the company to Australia, as they use a courier service which costs the earth. At Barrabes in Spain, the ponchos cost 33 Euros and the shipping within Europe is 6 Euros. Cheers, Gitti

Hi Sue,

Someone at the Dec 4 Pilgrim meeting in Sydney might like to buy your Large Altus.. . . if you can make it. I'll also try to be there and take my Medium/ Small? Altus .......for you to try.

Another thought . . . you may be able to buy one in Sevilla before your camino. Save on postage. We bought ours in Madrid last year.
Cheers Carole

Thanks for that Carole.
I am planning to go to the lunch, as is my friend who is going to walk the first 3 weeks with me.
See you there.
Sue

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm In the process of buying an Altus poncho for my Camino and would appreciate advice on sizing. Despite searchng the posts on this topic I'm still not sure. I'm 174cms tall and of slight build 68kgs. The Barrabes website gives the length of the S/M size but not the L/XL. Can anyone provide that information. Thanks

David

I had the small to medium ALtus and I weigh 64 kg and am 160 cm in height, you can look at my pics on http://www.picasaweb.google.com/JohnHarre If you look at the Robert Louis Stevenson pics, there are a couple of me with a blue Altus. You will see how far down it comes. I think it would be good for you too, the large will probably be too roomy. Cheers, Gitti

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with you on being wet inside it was the same for me. Last year I finally left my altus behind and purchased an umbrella which I found more suitable and kept me dry. But I believe a rain jacket would probably be a necessity.
n.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.