• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Raincoat-Poncho

Personally Sue, I'd keep it.
Mine came to my ankles and I LOVED IT!
It kept my legs and feet DRY.
On those days you are going uphills, you could simply belt it?
Anyway, that's my two cents!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Happy New Year to Everyone!

Thanks for all your repies.

I have not yet decided on my Altus. I have ordered a small and will compare the two when it arrives (sometime this week, after all the Christmas mail clears). Belting up the large would be an easy answer, too. I will consider that.

I went for my first long walk (22 km) with my new Leki poles yesterday. I can't imagine how I ever thought they would be unnecessary! What a difference they made, even on the paved path I was on.

15 weeks to go!

Sue

Re wet inside, my gortex jacket felt a lot worse than the Altus in that respect.....Gitti

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for everyone's advice. My small Altus arrived and after trying them both, I've decided on the small. The sleeves on the large came about 150mm past my fingertips and there was room for at least two of me inside1 The small comes to below mid-calf, so that should do the trick; it is still roomy enough to let all that hot air circulate.

Now if anyone in Australia is looking for a large Altus, I have one to sell....

Sue

I give the Altus very high marks. We ran into HEAVY rain and wind a couple of times this year and the Altus kept me and my pack dry and warm. The others walking with me wore various types of ponchos and were soaked. Some of the light plastic ponchos were simply torn right off by the wind. Saw many of the light ponchos blown up in trees along the trail later. The weight is more than I would want...but worth it. I almost did not take it in 2010 as I did not need it at all in 2009. Glad I did.

My only down point is the no access to your inner pockets. You must open the front and get into inner pockets if you have need. Not easy with wind and rain. No pockets on poncho itself. I wish they had designed a "slit" type pocket access as is on many other rain products. I am not clever enough to do it myself.

Hi pilgrims

I finally got hold of an Altus. 36 euros at the sports shop off the Plaza Mayor in Sahagun. I´ve actually kept my Lafuma poncho for hot days, since it´s the only poncho that actually works and stays snug in high wind.

As for the Altus, it´s as good as everyone says. I wouldn´t be on the meseta in winter without one.

Cheers from Mansilla de las Mulas

Rob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found the Altus to be a very good poncho,and would recommend it, however you must expect some condensation to occur inside as you exert yourself. I actually had a slight trickle of water running down the poncho sleeve a couple of times. It is a great windbreaker as well.

John

Hi Everyone, I just tried ordering the Poncho to Canada,from Barrabes.com. Holey Moley 44Euros Shipping fee :shock: !! Guess I will have to keep searching for a "better price". Anyone know of a Canadian distributor? Thanks!

Tried already. I went the same route as you and got to the order part and saw the shipping cost .....I think the advice I got at that time was to buy in Spain. I think it's the best option. I did have a look to see if you could order it from America, but not there either.

lynne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, all;

I ordered my Altus from Peregrinoteca. com who are based in Sarria. It 'only' cost me 49Euro total, including posting to Australia. Received it in about a week.

Sue

I

That's excellent Sue, considering our Altus cost us 40Euro in Madrid (tho I think we were conned because it should be about 26 -30 Euro in Spain).

Whichever way you get your Altus raincoat/poncho, and in spite of its weight (over 400gms) it is worth the effort. We'll be taking ours in April on the Vdlp.

Just wish Altus had called their product a "Raincoat" .....which it is, with sleeves, plus the extending area in the back to cover a backpack. :roll:

I tried a Poncho a few times when I was attempting to get fitter before my Camino and I just did not like the flapping and in particular the noise it made in the wind. I ended up using my trusty 'North Face' Jacket and Trousers and even after a whole day of non stop, driving, Meseta rain I stayed dry.

The gear in my pack stayed completely dry because it was contained in an interior waterproof sack. However, the pack itself got wet even though it had its own cover!

I've been reading the discussions about the Altus poncho with interest, and I think I will get one. But may I ask a couple of naive questions? I will be starting from St Jean in late April. The first bit could therefore be pretty cold and draughty. Do people wear the poncho only as wet-weather gear or is it also a top layer or wind-break when/if it is not raining?? In other words if I start with t-shirt and shirt, what other layers come next.....??
Many thanks
Paul

I started in mid-April last year. I started out my mornings with a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt and a soft shell jacket. By the time I got warmed up, if it wasn't raining, I would lose the soft shell jacket and sometimes the long sleeve shirt, depending on weather. When it was raining, I put my REI rain jacket on, covered my pack and had no problems staying dry. My legs got wet, but I didn't care since my feet were also getting wet. :) Next time, I am bringing rain pants and gaiters. :) I'm from the Pacific NW. I don't see the point of ponchos. Everyone around here just uses rain jackets and pants for hiking in the Oregon rain. :)

The point of a poncho: I started as an devotee of a rain suit and pack cover. Then I hit a week of steady rain where the water cascaded down the back of my rain suit jacket and migrated up under the pack cover. After I dried out the pack and contents, I encountered hot weather with regular bursts of rain. When it wasn't raining, I was sweating inside the breathable rain suit, both pants and jacket. After getting into, and then out of, the rain suit a fifth time in a day (always having to find a place to sit so that I did not have to remove my boots to get the pants off), I hit Burgos and bought an Altus.

I hang the Altus over my pack. When it rains, I slip in my arms. When it stops, I slip it off. All without breaking stride or sitting down. That is the point of a (good) poncho.

Thanks to all your promising reviews I ordered a red Altus S/M six days ago via http://www.barrabes.com. I paid 43 euros (including shipping to the Netherlands). Can't wait till it rains! :wink:

I'm hoping to get one when I get to Spain. Mind you we'll be starting in Sevilla, and we'll need something against the heat rather than against the rain... Every time I have seen a pilgrim with a raincoat, I have always felt a pang of envy. My poncho is nice, but when there is wind and rain on the Camino, it becomes pretty much useless.

grilly, Lafuma make a true poncho which actually works. All my experiences with ponchos were negative because they weren't waterproof and were useless in wind. The Lafuma is waterproof and will stay stable in a gale. Though it offers less protection to the extremities than the Altus, it ventilates well.

As a cold weather walker, I prefer the Altus jacket for its simplicity and complete cover. It also has better closures for less fumbling. (The Altus is not a poncho, though it's often described as such.) I noticed that both the Altus jacket and Lafuma poncho were available in Saint-Jean, so if anyone is starting there, take a look. For me it's simple: Altus for cold, Lafuma for hot. Zipped models always preferable, and, when in doubt, take the Altus.

Just to update U.S. folks on the cost of an Altus Atmospheric. When this thread began it was listed at around 25 euros. I purchased one online via the Barrabes website and it cost me 40+ euros plus 44 euros shipping (to Seattle, WA). So, you're looking at a significant cost. As a first-time walker who will be on the Camino in autumn, though, I'm glad I have this checked off my list. Now--gaiters!

http://www.caminosport.com in Carrion de los Condes have Altus athmospheric raincoats in blue and red on special at 24 or so Euros. I have just bought 3 red ones for my husband and cousins in New Zealand. Someone asked about what to wear under it and I recommend a fleece for sure if you are walking in October/November, even in the rain in August/September I wore a fleece, the rain cools down the fabric of the coat and it is good to be snug underneath most of the time. In light rain I just had the Altus draped over shoulders and pack and open at the front, arms out, that way I did not get sweaty underneath, cheers, Gitti

Sil posted this information on another thread. Here it is again:

If you are starting at St Jean, you could order one in advance from Pierre - Email directioncompostelle@orange.fr and ask him to keep one for you. They come in S/M (which came down to my ankles!) and a L/XL. I think they are €39. Let him know that day you will be there to collect it.

Just thought I would let you all know that after reading through this whole thread, I decided to get the Altus Atmospheric Poncho. It arrived very quickly and is brilliant. With taxes and delivery it came to £46 (I live on the London/Kent boarder).

Ok so maybe not the cheapest, however the reason I wanted it, is because I often have a problem shoulder, which makes putting things over my head very hard at times and this seemed like a good idea. Wrong it's a brilliant idea.

We have already tested it out and it was so easy for me to get it on and over my backpack.
I got the L/XL, but that's because I am 5ft 8ins and have horribly broad shoulders for a woman. But it's huge, almost comes down to my ankles, so I stayed really dry. I also brought it in red and it's very bright so I know I will be seen.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, because you all really helped me. :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Anyone know the name of the store where I can pick up an Altus in Burgos? Was thinking I'd get one when I got there to start on my Camino, which is next week (whoa!!). Thanks so much!!

'Solvitur Ambulando'
- St. Augustine

Whizzer said:
I just read that the ALTUS has no arm pits vents. You can have someone sew them on a zipper or velcro strips in the arm pits.

Would this also work for pocket access on the sides?
Does anyone know how this would be done on the Altus material? Just cut it and have someone sew in a zipper? Is this a simple thing?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
grayland said:
Whizzer said:
I just read that the ALTUS has no arm pits vents. You can have someone sew them on a zipper or velcro strips in the arm pits.

Would this also work for pocket access on the sides?
Does anyone know how this would be done on the Altus material? Just cut it and have someone sew in a zipper? Is this a simple thing?

Don't cut the material. Just cut through the seams with a blade and attach velcro or whatever. Then apply seam sealant on the newly sewn spots (buy at outdoor stores). But even after re-sealing it will no longer be as watertight as originally...

I personally didn't have a problem with sweating in my Altus.
When I got hot, if it wasn't POURING, I would just unsnap it a few snaps and let the air in.
I just LOVE my Altus!

Does anyone know whether they sell the Altus poncho in Le Puy? I already have one but a friend wants to get a large size and we thought if we could it would save postage to pick one up there.
Sharon

Yes. There is a sporting goods store down at the center of town. Ask at the pilgrim office or tourist office for directions.

And there is one very big sportsstore outside the centre of Le Puy( 5euros with taxi in 2009).
Bought my altus rainponcho in the pilgrimssportshop in Sarria in 2007 having tried a poncho without arms from St. Jean. Walking alone it was a trouble to get on, but the altus was excellent and I have used it Le Puy- Santiago and Via de la Plata since then. I would say that all kinds og raingear makes you wet from inside either it is goretex or anything else. My altus with a zipper in front is good in windy weather. Raintrousers is a pree because without the raincoat sticks to your legs. Put the gaiters under the raintrousers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Falcon and Ranthr.
Sharon

I've been perusing the advice on here and my Altus is in transit from Spain thanks to google translate and paypal, so thanks for the combined headsup on a dedicated product, but I've noticed a few interesting interrelated opinions on things which in isolated instances of usage are true, but overal may give the wrong impression about various materials without consideration to other important factors.

Just remember that your sweat evaporating is dependent on the humidity at the time. When it's raining, its not called 100 percent humidity for nothing. This means that while it's raining, your sweat will accumulate (if the rain itself doesn't wash it off. :) )

This is simple physics and it doesn't matter what you're wearing. The moisture just won't evaporate while the air is already full of moisture. At the best, you're going to have incredibly reduced moisture removal compared to normally drier air.

The best you can hope for is increasing your ventilation through simple airflow alone. Ie, pop any vents, to reduce your heat buildup. This will work with a reduced effectiveness, but will increase your heat loss and thus requirement to sweat.

Whether you sweat or not depends on the temperature at the time. Theres a vast difference in your level of sweat build up while wearing rain gear in a tropical storm at 28 degrees Celcius, or wearing the same gear during a storm in the winter in the Arctic circle at below zero degrees.

People tend to forget that and assume that Goretex and other "breathable" materials will just keep them dry regardless or it's a garment design flaw that makes them sweaty.

Keep in mind though, that humans have a greater capacity to sweat than any other creature on the face of the earth. We're designed to do it, which is why humans can run further for longer than any other animal.

does anyone have -ve info. Or have not bought one!

All this positive info, they seem sold-out everywhere

I'm doing my best not to buy one(2), or spend!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Or a poncho made of potatoes(OK starch) £7.99

http://www.nigelsecostore.com/acatalog/ ... ncoat.html

spud-coat-big.jpg

I know it wont last, @ least you can recycle this one, I'm sorry I'm a Kiwi, & as another said, there is a thing against them in the land of the long white cloud,(Southern Alps).

For those of you looking to buy an Altus poncho from the US, I came across this product by chance:

http://www.thepacka.com/

It is very similar to the Altus, except that it has big armpit vents and is lighter. But it is much more expensive! Even paying for DHL overseas delivery, I guess the Altus comes out cheaper. I have never actually seen it so I cannot recommend it, but it's well worth looking into.

I just bought my Altus from Peregrinoteca in Spain, to be delivered to my sister's address in France. It arrived in 3 days, 30 euros + 10 for delivery. They only had the military green in size M (I wanted the blue one). I researched extensively online and the Altus has been very difficult to find in Europe.

BTW, if you are looking to buy one in the internet you will probably come across this website: http://inuka.com/. They seem to be the only site that has the Altus in all colors and sizes... at a premium price. DON'T BUY THERE. They advertise the product, take payment for it, and don't send you anything. It happened to me. After many emails I was told they would receive it only in February (4 months from now!...) and just sent me a different, inferior product, which I refused. It took me dozens of emails, 4 international phone calls and the interference of my credit card's administrator to get a refund more 40 days later. :evil:

bromeliad said:
For those of you looking to buy an Altus poncho from the US, I came across this product by chance:

http://www.thepacka.com/

It is very similar to the Altus, except that it has big armpit vents and is lighter. But it is much more expensive! Even paying for DHL overseas delivery, I guess the Altus comes out cheaper. I have never actually seen it so I cannot recommend it, but it's well worth looking into.

I

I have an Altus and have to say I love it. I had admittedly very little rain this time, but it worked like a charm. When it started to pour heading into Astorga, it was a snap to reach back and pull out the raincoat part from under the pack cover. This way I never had to stop walking. While others had to stop and try to get help sometimes...I just kept moving a head...snapping buttons as I went. I'm also someone who overheats easily and found that with the arm vents etc, I was able to stay comfortable.

There was a thread here before, where someone mentioned the seams leaking but this was not my experience. I believe some older ones may not have had sealed seams. So...long story, I would highly recommend the Packa. Just my opinion!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had posted this elsewhere but I am in Spain now...if anyone in the US wants me to pick them up an Altus poncho, I will be in Madrid in about a week and can try to find one for you. Cost plus shipping in the US to wherever you live. PM if interested, no need to clog the thread with responses.

I'm sticking to lightweight 'waterproof' jacket with everything in plastic bags
I was a fan of my rain suit and pack cover until sustained rain rolled off my back and into the pack. The stuff sacks inside kept my equipment dry, but the pack itself was quite wet, and water had pooled at the bottom of the pack cover. I bought the Altus, and everything has stayed dry since. One advantage of the Altus is that the front is a long zipper, so you do not have to slip it over your head. When rain threatened, I would hang the Altus over my pack like a pack cover, and simply slip my arms into the sleeves when the rain started, pull the hat over my head, and zip up the front. Snug and dry.

Another general caution: water resistant is NOT waterproof. Eight hours in the rain will show you the difference.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Abbeydore said:
The Rohan link is:
http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensJackets_02358
@ £75 is not cheap compared to Altus.

Personally @ present I'm sticking to lightweight 'waterproof' jacket.
with everything in plastic bags -'to be sure to be sure'
got a few moths till April 1st to change my mind

:cry: The Rohan poncho is currently out of stock and may even br discontinued :cry:
Interesting to see on another thread that Lafuma make something similar, although I hope my Rohan still has many years of life left :)
I agree that the price has gone very high, much more than ours cost and they were a retirement gift.

Remember not to rattle those bags!!!!!!!

[Edit June 2012:- Rohan have re-introduced their ponch, it now has added short poppered sleeves and comes in a long and short length (£85 and £75) Very expensive, but the longer 'proper' sleeves are good. The longer length would be needed over a rucksack IMO. I tried on on this week before adding this. You can view it on the Rohan site under Men's or Women's waterproofs]

ALTUS Atmospheric poncho is available in Saint Jean Pied de Port in the two Pilgrim's Shop of the village "Direction Compostelle !" and "Boutique du Pelerin".
http://www.directioncompostelle.com

Salomon shoes, Columbia clothes, Altus hiking accesories, Gelert light sleeping bags, wood or telescopics sticks, Deuter & Wilsa backpacks, socks, bookguides, etc.... all for the Camino.

My Altus Atmospheric came today! :eek: Such fast service. I just ordered it 3 May and it is here already, 9 May, just 6 days and all the way from Spain.
peregrinoteca.com has them on sale right now 30% off plus shipping of course. Just 29,90E and 19,99E shipping. They just have L/XL and S/M.
I am a plus size woman and the XL fits just fine. :shock: With a pair of gaiters this will keep me and my pack nice and dry! 8)
Here's the link.
http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/pon ... -8241.html

Thanks everyone for the recommendation! Not going on my Camino until Sept. 2013 but I am going to give mine a test drive on my trip to Ireland in October :D

I'm in the US and have been searching for the Altus at a less-than-astronomical price. Based on your recommendation, I've just ordered it at peregrinoteca.com without knowing a word of Spanish--I hope it worked! Thanks for the tip.

I don't have much Spanish either. Some I figured out on my own and some I had to run through Google translator. Especially the confirmation emails since I want to make sure I didn't need to respond to something before they sent my coat. :roll:
Hope yours works out as well as mine.

nonieconnor said:
I'm in the US and have been searching for the Altus at a less-than-astronomical price. Based on your recommendation, I've just ordered it at peregrinoteca.com without knowing a word of Spanish--I hope it worked! Thanks for the tip.

Also a thank you from me - cheaper than waiting until SJPdP and I can use it in the meantime :D

Comparing Altus to other options:

Last October/November I used the Altus poncho and Gor-tex gaiters on the Camino Frances. In general I was quite pleased with it as a no-frills rain garment (wish the hood had a string, however), but on the one long day of driving rain, the outfit still resulted in me being completely drenched. Anytime I wore the Altus the sweat condensation on the inside made me just as wet as the rain outside, but at least my pack and lower half were kept relatively dry. I left the Camino in Leon and gave my Altus to a fellow pilgrim, who used it through Galicia. If it is a choice between the Altus and other ponchos, I'd say the Altus has the virtue of having real arms and a real zip, not just flaps, so it stays on in wind. I ordered it through the Spanish Barabbes website and paid shipping to the West Coast of the US, which cost as much as the poncho itself.

In April this year I walked the Camino Portugues, this time in a pair of Arcteryx Paclite Gor-tex rainpants and a Gor-tex-like raincoat, both purchased at REI. At the last minute I got my Altus back from my pilgrim buddy, so I took that with me as well despite the extra weight. Walked through rain for most of 10 days on the Portugues, and I have to say, I would not go back without my Arcteryx pants or some variation thereof. They worked much better than the Altus and gaiters and were featherweight and extremely comfortable. I wore them every day and they gave the added value of keeping my trousers clean. They were quite expensive, however ($199 for the pants alone).
For me they were worth the investment, as I live in the rainy NW and can use them a lot.

Since I had the Altus with me, I wore it draped over my pack and added it as an extra layer during the worst of the rain. I was ready to pass it to that pilgrim in need, but she didn't come along this time!

I'm living in Sydney and considering buying an Altus after seeing everyone's feedback on them. I am about 165cm, planning to walk in September/October this year, and am wondering whether it might be better to get the L/XL for the length like Annie suggested. Just wondering if anyone in Sydney might have an Altus S/M or L/XL that I could try on for size before buying one?

Cheers,

Jess

Anniesantiago said:
Well, I'm short so my Altus went to my ankles practically.

But I did carry lightweight rain pants that I got at REI... they worked great on cold windy days also!

Is this the regular Altus poncho (weight 500 grs) or the light one ( 260 grs) ?
Thanks
Katia

Hi, I have posted a number of times under the Altus thread with my latest take on the Altus.
I have used the older model bought in 2009 which is made from Polyamide and found it very good, minimal perspiration and I stayed pretty dry. I convinced my husband and my cousins, all avid trampers to order Altus ponchos as well and they all received the newer model which has the words rainseries written on it on the chest part and does not have velcroed sleeves. This newer model comes in normal ( about 450 grams) and lite ( about 250 grams) weight and my family bought the normal weight and I bought the lite as I wanted to save weight in my pack. We all find the new models of Altus absolutely useless. We were soaked inside after a very short time, partly from condensation, but also from the fabric just not being waterproof. Even the backpack got really wet. The fabric is flimsier than on the old model, sticks to your body rather than hanging loose and the water runs down your legs and into the shoes. I no longer recommed the Altus to anyone.
Other options are La Fuma, Ferrino Trekker, both at 400 plus grams and the Raidlight at 250 grams, which I have ordered.
There is a shop in Navarrenx Le Poisson Roi which sells the Ferrino Trekker, he will post anywhere and you can buy by credit card, if you want the contact details send me a PM.
Cheers, Gitti

Sorry to hear your favourite Altus has changed and is not so good.
The Rohan too have changed, now have a poppered sleeve shape which is better at covering the lower arms. Still poppered down the sides and should still go over a pack OK. They still claim to be waterproof and breathable. Cost:- Long = £85 http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensWaterproofs_03248?ocode=03248298 The shorter version is £75. Expensive but if they are still as good as our original ones then well worth the money, especially if you plan on further walking on the Camino, or elsewhere.
Has anyone tried this new Rohan poncho to be able to make a comment on it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Tia, will look into if my new Raidlight turns out to be no good. Regards, Gitti

Gitti, thanks for the alert re changes to Altus. I almost laughed the first time I used one. I was amazed that something so cheap and simple, a bit like an old raincoat with expandable hump, could be more effective than all the troublesome solutions which cost so much more. There is just enough stiffness in the fabric of my Altus to keep it off the body, it goes on an off easily (zipped version), it is so long that I have worn it in terrible winter/spring conditions without having to bother about rainpants, pack covers etc. For getting about town, I clip up the hump, and it's just a great wind layer.

The only other good thing I've tried is the Lafuma, which is more a poncho, but is wind-stable and gives okay cover while giving better ventilation - a great warm weather option.

Ponchos don't fit my summer-wet region of Oz, but, since we've returned to wet winters after 2007 and our weather pattern is more like the fifties and seventies, I've had occasion to try them. Expensive ponchos like Exped and Sea to Summit are laughably bad when tested. Often not waterproof, and useless in wind. I take a brolley or my Altus, though it's a bit much for this climate.

I don't seem to sweat much, which is maybe why I don't like heat or summer caminos. It may also explain why the Altus is so much better for me than for others. I've never been wet with it, never had condensation probs.

Anyway, there could be some old stock of original Altus lying around in Spanish towns. I bought mine in a little clothing shop in some place like Sahagun.

Again, thanks for the tip

Rob

Thanks Robert, does sound like you have the older model Altus, with that bit of stiffness in the fabric, it is really good compared to the new models.

The Old Altus is made from polyamide, not polyester, it has velcro around the cuffs of the sleeves and does not have the words Rainseries written on the outside chest area.
By the way if you check the water repellent qualities, the Ferrino Trekker claims to repel 2000 mls, the old Altus 1000 mls, weight about the same. If this is a reliable measure the Ferrino should be a superior product, it also claims to be breathable.....Gitti

Personally I would not be seen dead in a poncho,

They have a take-off speeed that I don't wish to experience :lol:

Good luck choose what you are happy with........ :mrgreen:

Abbeydore said:
Personally I would not be seen dead in a poncho,
They have a take-off speeed that I don't wish to experience :lol: Good luck choose what you are happy with........ :mrgreen:

I don't care what I wear as long as [a] I keep dry and I don't frighten the natives. I wore a poncho YESTERDAY here in Suffolk during a downpour, while doing a short walk from Saxmundham. I was so pleased I'd remembered to bring it! It packs up into a tiny container in my backpack.

Buen camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Well, this is handy news indeed. Just unpacked the brand-new Altus I received from Barrabes at vast expense and there on the right side are the dreaded words "Rain Series" Not sure what to do with it now! Its big enough that if I wore Roller Blades and had a reasonable hiking stick I'm pretty sure I could rig up a bit of a sail and get to wherever I'm headed pretty sharpish.......

Send it back saying it is not what you thought you had ordered! As for me we now have 3 useless rainseries models in this family and I am going to write to the Altus Company and let them know of the problem and see what they say. Watch this space! Gitti

I wore the Atlus Rain Series Poncho in a pretty hefty downpour this afternoon. There is lots of room, the sleeves are great and the hood is nice, but its not the easiest thing to do up in a hurry and it gets damp inside quickly. The elastic cuffs can't be tightened. My guess is you'll have a bead of rain water running down your arm if you raise it. After about 20 minutes I had a damp patch across my shoulders and there were beads of moisture on the inside front. I'd say it was somewhat effective but not what I expected it to be.

Attachments

• Ottawa-20120807-00272.jpg
    Ottawa-20120807-00272.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 15,004
Lightweight:

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_ho ... endocument

I have a similar product. It is a bit harder to put on than the Altus, but it weighs half the amount. I used it on one camino when I was not expecting rain. It snapped down the sides, so did not take a second person to pull it down over my pack if I tossed it over my head and stepped forward using any headwind available. It was a decent choice since it did not rain much. I am back to the Altus, though.

Thank you Falcon. I had ordered the raid light poncho and paid by credit card, only to be sent an email later to say that they had run out and the new stock will not be in until the end of the year. Hopefully they will not have made changes to their product like the Altus.

I thought I should kick into the conversation here that the Packa now does have fully taped seams, so that is no longer a concern. I recently got mine in preparation for my winter Camino and can say that the length is good on me at 6' tall, about the same length as a standard overcoat. It's also very light and I appreciate the way it can quickly convert from just a pack cover to a cover and raincoat. I will also second that the inventor/manufacturer Ed "Cedar Tree" Hinnant is great to do business!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Such a shame the old Altus is no longer available, can't understand that, when it was such a good product. The best. Maybe a sign of the times..... We'd better treat ours with TLC now and make it last a few more years. Good luck everyone in your search.

The new Altus Light version is lighter and waterproof to 2,000mm, the old one to 1,000mm, so it may be outselling the old one. Discontinuing the old line probably is a wise move by Altus. I don't doubt that the reported leak occurred, but there may be more to know about quality control. There does not appear to be anything inherent in the fabric or design that would make it leak. As to the new one clinging more, all ripstop nylon ponchos cling. That is the tradeoff of low weight. If you add some weight by choosing a PVC poncho, it will hang like iron mail! It also will be a portable sauna. The apparent loss of velcro wrist closures is a mixed bag. I found that the velco grabbed everything, including the nylon cord on my Pacer Poles and my gloves, and was quite irritating. It did allow easy adjustment of the wrist fit. We learn from the experience of others, but should not be constrained by it. :D

If you live in Eastern Ontario or Quebec and are looking for an alternative to the Altus, SAIL the Outdoor Superstore is now selling the Ferrino Trekker. It sells for approximately $50.

Just to add to the discussion/confusion - I have checked both my Altuses/Alti, none of them have the words 'Rain Series' written on them. The old red one, which I used a lot on the Camino Ingles in 2009, is made of 'poliester' and the khaki one, which I bought for my OH in 2010, is made of 'poliamida'. Both have velcro on the sleeve and both seem to be non clingy and very waterproof indeed, and both weigh 450+ g in a size L/XL. I haven't used the khaki one myself, but I put it rather than the red one in my pack for my Camino starting in a week because of the polyamide label. Any views on whether this is the superior or inferior one?

Cheers,
LM

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, m y polyamide one is the good Altus, our other one which proofed to be useless was the Rainseries one, which was made of polyester. The fabric felt quite different,it was less stiff and would cling.
Interesting that you have a different model again, polyester with Velcro and without the Rainseries bit. Gitti

I know, that's why I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable people about this. The material in my polyester Altus feels just as stiff and heavy as the polyamide one, and I bought it from Barrabes in probably 2008, so it's hardly 'new'. Would be interesting to know if the reported clinginess of the new ones is due to weight or material?

Br. David said:
(snip)Barrabes only seems to stock bright red ones ...
I was thinking bright red would be just the thing to have in dreary, rainy weather ... especially if you happened to lose your footing and slip off the trail ... you'd be seen :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
chou.fleur said:
If you live in Eastern Ontario or Quebec and are looking for an alternative to the Altus, SAIL the Outdoor Superstore is now selling the Ferrino Trekker. It sells for approximately $50.
Perhaps only in-store? “Your search for Ferrino returned 0 result”

That's right... It's an In-Store item. Checked with daughter who works at the Trainyards Sail and she confirms they have the Trekker. I'll find out about sizes and inventory and post an update.

I am packing my bag and trying to save some weight. 12kg at the moment (I am 6'3" and 115kg so still around 10 per cent of overall weight). I was going to pack my goretex shell with a rain hood as my outer wear, but reading this topic, i wonder wether i just use my lightweight fleece for colder days and buy a Altus Poncho when i get to France? That way i can use it to protect my pack as well. I am worried though that these poncho's and plastic coat's are hot houses and lock in humidity etc.
Do i leave the shell 700g at home and use a Poncho?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's what I did, and it worked fine for me. I started from SJPP on April 24, so I experienced all kinds of weather, including windy, cold, and rainy days.

The Ottawa Sail Store has 8 - 10 Ferrino Trekker Ponchos in stock. Some red, mostly blue. I got a bleu L/XL and glory be, it is made out of polyamide - same material as the "original" Altus. Same general tarpaulin-like shape but seems a tad more robust and it has splendid Velcro wrist fasteners. Bring on yer equinoctial gales, I'm covered!

Hi there
I have been reading the poncho discussion eagerly. Seems that there is a risk with ordering any Altus due to uncertainty of model, a sad issue for me after just having worked out the size that would be best :(
So now onto the Ferrino Trekker and wondered if i could avoid reinventing the wheel by asking about size advice for a woman who is 172 cm tall and weighs 60 kg.? Any advice much appreciated.
Thank you :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
ausmarko said:
I am packing my bag and trying to save some weight. 12kg at the moment...

12 kg is still ALOT.
Try to get it down to 7 kg or less.
Buen camino!

12 kg is still ALOT.
Yes it is!! :D

Go back through and leave behind the things you "might" need (e.g. multi-tool), the third pair of pants, shorts (use convertible pants with zipoff legs), anything denim, a second jacket "in case it is cold," cosmetics, sleeping bag (for June through September), books, extra shirts, more than two pair of socks (wash each evening), sleeping mat, and a third set of footwear. Try to have a second use for anything you take, avoiding any single-use item if possible (the shower dry bag can double as shopping bag in the evening, for example). On my fourth outing, my backpack was 30# at the airport including 1# of trekking poles. At almost my first stop, 10# was shipped home, and I should have known better. I was thinking "I will take a few more creature comforts and walk shorter days." It didn't work...

ausmarko said:
I am packing my bag and trying to save some weight. 12kg at the moment (I am 6'3" and 115kg so still around 10 per cent of overall weight).
You appear to have a BMI around 31.7, well above the 25 considered to be the upper end of the normal range. You might want to recalculate your pack weight based on an BMI 25 weight, ie about 90kg. This would be a better reflection of what you might comfortably carry.

I have commented on the 10% of body mass advice here ->> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/topic12663.html#p84416.

Regards,

Jenyat53 said:
Hi there
I have been reading the poncho discussion eagerly. Seems that there is a risk with ordering any Altus due to uncertainty of model, a sad issue for me after just having worked out the size that would be best :(
So now onto the Ferrino Trekker and wondered if i could avoid reinventing the wheel by asking about size advice for a woman who is 172 cm tall and weighs 60 kg.? Any advice much appreciated.
Thank you :)

Check out the Trekker page at: http://www.ferrino.it/en/homepage/produ ... kker_ss12_

Looks to me like a S/M would do.

Thanks Doug. Are you saying i am fat :lol: I will check out the calculations.
Very hard job this and turning into a bigger deal than I thought. The problem is i don't want to look like a bum for a week in Paris wearing hiking boots! Extra pair of shoes for night and the sleeping bag come in at 2.5kg but reluctant to forego them. May get a silk liner and if after the first couple of days it is sufficient, i will ditch the bag. Back to the scales :D

Just got my Ferrino Trekker sent from Poisson Roy in Navarrenx, thrilled, much better quality and design than the old Altus even. Fabric feels really nice on. Gitti

Re looking like a bum in Paris, we spent 4 nights there at end of Le Puy route and I wore my boots, bought some nice French shoes once I got there to wear in evening, I had 128 gram black trowsers and a silk tunic, which looked great and I wore during my walk...you are a bloke of course....Gitti

gittiharre said:
Just got my Ferrino Trekker sent from Poisson Roy in Navarrenx, thrilled, much better quality and design than the old Altus even. Fabric feels really nice on. Gitti

That's great, Gitti! Now could you please put on your pack, then put on your Trekker, and now have a friend measure how much of your pants leg will get wet? Thanks - I'm trying to decide if gaiters/pants will be needed as a supplement.

€46,-
I received my Packa, and I am waiting for a good rainstorm to test it! I'll review it when I have test it. It is nice and light, and fits into its own built-in pouch.

Hi, the Ferrino Trekker finishes about 10 cm below my knees, I am 160 cm tall. I usually wear shorts in all weathers, took gaiters last time and even in severe rain did not bother with them. I make sure my socks have a thickish rim around the ankle to stop water running into boots, but also the Altus and the Trekker stand away from the body and the water tends not to run down the logs, like they do with a tight fitting or clingy garment. Hope this helps, Gitti

We have used packas for a few years. I like them much more than ponchos because the sides are closed (but they have armpit zips), they don't whip around if it's windy, and they keep your pack drier than a pack cover (which I have always found useless!). If it is really raining and you want to keep your pants dry, you will also need rainpants. Ralph and I both wear full-zip Marmot Precip, which are great.

sillydoll said:
We bought a 'raincoat-poncho' which is a combination of poncho and raincoat. It is a long rain coat with sealed seams, ventilation flaps in the front which zips up and has velcro stays; long sleeves with velcro to tighten around wrists, a snug hood with a peak and an adjustable 'hunchback' at the back to accommodate a backpack. It really was the answer in the rain. Better than a regular poncho which can blow up in the wind and which wide open sleeves don't keep your long sleeves dry. With a pair of short gaiters to keep trouser bottoms dry, it is all you need to keep dry without sweating up.
It was made in Spain and cost 28 euro. You can see it here: http://www.altus.es or order online at http://www.barrabes.com
Based on your recommendation, and that of many others who commented on the ALTUS, I ordered it from Barrabes. I opted for the lighter Altus Atmospheric Light Poncho at 37.19 € [45.00 € where Taxes apply]. Although lightere weight, its rain resistance is much greater!
Altus has an even lighter weight poncho in a more traditional style - Mikonos - but it was not listed at Barrabes. Here are the links for the Light Poncho:

http://www.altus.es/ficha_prod.php?idio ... 3AL&posi=v
http://www.barrabes.com/shop/backpacks- ... light.html

I'm still considering two packs recommended on the board, tending toward the Go-Lite:
http://www.ula-equipment.com/camino.asp
http://www.golite.com/Jam-35L-Pack-Unisex-P46811.aspx

Hi

In most cases the length of these raincoat-ponchos is a benefit but when walking through deep water such as a river crossing it may become a liability.

For these situations, has anyone modified their coat with say velcro tabs, ties or domes so that the bottom of the coat can be temporarily folded/hitched up? Given the greater circumference compared to standard coats, I'm guessing it may need a few fasteners to provide an adequate result. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated! :D

By the way, I'll be applying these mods to a Ferrino Trekker when it arrives.

Rainlight 'Cape de pluie respire' - an alternative raincoat/poncho to Altus or Ferrino Trekker. First Impressions

After reading Gitti's posts on the Rainlight coat, I shortlisted it along with the Ferrino Trekker. I eventually chose the Rainlight as it has some features I was looking for and I was concerned that the reflective metallic finish on the inside of the Trekker would contribute to heat buildup.

The Rainlight is from a French company and you can buy it direct from their website: http://www.verticalmountain.com/boutiqu ... oduct=1993 It cost me Euro 109.9 + 16.72 shipping = 126.62 Delivery took 10 days to Auckland, New Zealand, which I think is pretty reasonable!

It's significantly more expensive than either the Altus or Ferrino but it's made from a breathable material and is quite light at 310g for the 'Large' size - so on par with an equivalent eVent/Gortex jacket. It only comes in grey :cry: There's a short French review and some good pics here (the Google translation is quite good): http://www.expemag.com/vetements/cape-d ... light.html

Initial impressions after I tried it on over a full Osprey Stratos 34L pack. ('Large' sizing and I'm 165cm/75kg).
* Lightweight. Probably as light as I would want it as it may be too clingy if lighter and compromise durability.
* It has a full length dual zip in front but no other ventilation. I found it a piece of cake to put on by simply pulling it over my head and pack like a sweater. Might be a bit trickier with a bigger pack that extends above my shoulders, but the Osprey is as large as I'm likely to use - the top of which is level with my shoulders.
* With the pack extension zipped up, the coat fits comfortably over the pack; it is mid calf length in front and about 5 cm shorter in back. Without the pack, it is ankle length in back.
* With the pack extension unzipped, the back touches the ground, but I found that it was easy whilst being worn, to cinch up the zips on either side of the pack, thus raising the back off the ground and 'fitting' the pack extension over the pack.
* The cuffs are loosely elasticised; there is no other adjustment.
* The hood is adjusted by shortening a bungee cord on top of the head. It's covered by a reflective flap but it seems a bit crude and the flap sticks up like a rooster's comb :roll: There is also a unique, fold-down clear visor that covers half the face. I'm hoping that it works as I wear spectacles, which are a right pain when wet!

Overall, without having given the coat a field test, I'm pretty satisfied so far. Given that the coat fits comfortably over my pack without the extension being opened, I think a 'Medium' would be better, but it's a minor issue. International returns are a hassle that is one of the downsides to internet shopping!

I'll post a field report in March after I've walked the Milford Track!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.