Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rainjacket/Packcover or Poncho in September

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
We will be walking starting Aug. 31 st. Does anyone have a recommendation whether to use a jacket and packcover or a poncho that will cover our packs? It does not seem like there is as much rain in September as many other months. Thanks for your help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My walking in Spain has been in Apr/May/Jun. I use a rain jacket, pants and pack cover. I have a poncho and have tried it on local walks, but it didn't work for me.

In the jacket / pack cover camp myself. Its one of those questions only to be answered by trying both out yourself I think. Or go with what you currently have, its easy to get caught up buying new gear before trips (at least it is for me)

We will be walking starting Aug. 31 st. Does anyone have a recommendation whether to use a jacket and packcover or a poncho that will cover our packs? It does not seem like there is as much rain in September as many other months. Thanks for your help.
We have hiked 3 Caminos in September and only had several days of rain combined. I would carry a light weight poncho and a pack cover. If its really warm out you just want to keep the rain off your pack but if its cool and a heavy rain you will use both.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used both on the CF last year. I started with a poncho on the 3 rainy days I had before arriving at Sarria. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed with it, I seemed to be wetter on the inside than the outside.
My wife joined me in Sarria and brought out a Berghaus Packlite jacket for me, we had some rain during the Sarria SDC section and I found the jacket more useable than the poncho.
I think it's a matter of choice what works for me might not work for you, you have to give it a go.
I must add that I came across a pilgrim several times during the early rainy days I had, and she was wearing one of those yellow poncho's that you get given at Niagara Falls, I'm not sure but I think she said it had lasted her a couple of camino's

I took the Altus poncho I bought in St Jean. It worked fine. In Sep/Oct only used it a couple of times until Galacia. Then every day at some stage. And it's another layer for warmth if required even if there is no rain, as is a jacket.
It's a bit blousy and flappy compared to a jacket, rain pants and hat, but then again you don't need a pack cover which doesn't work all that well in heavy rain anyway. Water gets down your back and seeps into the pack.
Best of luck with your choice.
Regards
Gerard

I've walked with a poncho the first day over the Pyrenees and NEVER again, flappy indeed ! I have walked the rest of the way with a pack cover, rain jacket and rain pants. Rain never seeps into my back and it rained nearly everyday. It was May/June 2013. Maybe you must first try it out beforehand.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I had rain cover and a poncho with me. During light rain or cloudy days the cover on the pack is good enough but while you are on your journey in heavy downpour which can last all day you also need a poncho because rain will eventually get your pack wet plus all the inside. If you only have the cover make sure all your personal items and medication are in zyplock bags. Actually I did not have a poncho with me from home but they are readily available and not expensive. Maya

I have a pack cover and tried both a jacket and poncho. I prefer a poncho for the simple reason that I get too hot in a jacket. (even though it's a breathable jacket).

I was fortunate in that aside from the last day walking to Santiago, I only had one other day of rain.

It was kind of an on again off again rainy type day and during one of the rain on periods, I just could not get the poncho to go over the pack. I must have taken it on and off about 4 times.

Luckily someone came from behind and probably after a good laugh helped me get the back end of the poncho over the pack. It did the trick and kept me dry but a pack cover might have been easier to manipulate

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm assuming I dont need a pack cover if there is a bag liner and things inside are appropriately protected.,ziplocks etc?

I use it all, lightweight goretex jacket and trousers, backpackcover (rain or not to protect my bp), alto poncho and gaiters and a Norwegian sydvest for my head. Never regretted carrying these things either.

I'm assuming I dont need a pack cover if there is a bag liner and things inside are appropriately protected.,ziplocks etc?

Need not, but I take one anyway as it protects the pack itself from getting wet and / or dirty. Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked from Santander last year in Aug/Sept. I agonized about poncho v raincoat. I ended up taking a good raincoat. I figured if it was raining I needed something good enough to keep me dry. And ponchos tend to get whipped around in the wind.
It was a good call. It rained most days, sometimes, all day. Having a raincoat and a backpack cover ensured my survival.

SYates is right. The only rain I had was in Galicia, but it was a lovely soft rain, no wind. I quite enjoyed it. I walked Sept/Oct and had a built-in cover for my pack and a poncho so used both.

I loved my Packa. It's a rain jacket that also goes over your backpack. It breathes well, and is lightweight. Pit zips too. Combined with rainpants, it kept me dry on an April/May Camino.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An Altus is a raincoat that goes over a pack - so not really a poncho.

i have a 20D grey Packa size Small for sale
didn't work for me

Interesting about the Packa. I liked the idea, but they look too short and tight. I prefer the longer, looser shape of the Altus. Plenty of ventilation without blowing around, and long enough to be able to roll up trouser legs a bit and keep them dry. I wish they would make it in E-vent or Goretex fabric, and with pit zips. Then I'd be happy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would recommend a waterproof backback cover. Otherwise, whilst bagged stuff inside may stay dry, the backpack soon becomes saturated (and heavier) and can take a long time to dry out. Bon camino!

In addition to the poncho or rain jacket, do folks typically carry a fleece jacket when hiking in September, or would I regret the weight/bulk? (hiking CP, so no Pyrnees type altitudes)

Galicia, September 2012 after four days of torrential rain . . . Altus "poncho" every time! Ponchos.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ponchos are notoriously difficult to put on properly, they whip around in the wind, and act like a sauna. We walked five days with two women with Altus ponchos through Galicia where it was either a strong drizzle or an all out constant hard rain all day long. Watching them, and the many others around us with ponchos, they appeared to be difficult to get "right". We were always helping them get the poncho on, guiding it over their backpack, or taking them off. They always gasped about how hot they were once they got the poncho off and they looked like they just walked out of a sauna fully clothed. When the wind gusted, as it tended to do several days, they were chasing the ends of the poncho with windmill like arm motions as they desperately tried to get the poncho under control. No thanks.

Jacket, pants, pack cover and umbrella worked very well for more than 10 days of walking in the rain over three Caminos.

Walked through Galicia September 2015 -Rain jacket & pack cover did not help we got soaked through including everything in our pack, have purchases a poncho for the next time I walk will also line my pack with a large plastic bag

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.