• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rainware....From a different perspective

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Having bought my down sleeping bag from a supplier to the cycling fraternity my mind turned to thoughts of their rainware. "Who," I thought, "would know more about keeping dry, warm, and comfortable than these cycling folks? What with their long distance racing and on/off road touring in often extreme conditions."
May I submit for your consideration a couple of simple, less expensive examples from my supplier.
Note the quality, weight, and price of both the jackets and pants. Pants are viewable by ticking the unselected box under the photograph.

https://www.velogear.com.au/clothin...g-rain-wear/original-cycling-rain-jacket.html

https://www.velogear.com.au/clothin...n-wear/original-cycling-rain-jacket-1669.html

My suggestion is to check out the products available from your cycling suppliers.

Regards
Gerard

PS. I'm looking even tho I'm a confirmed ALTUS Poncho guy, still trying to solve the problem whereby water wicks down my socks into my boots!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
IMHO the best rain Jacket its not a rain jacket at all but indeed an umbrella, I have yet to see a bicegrino using one :)zzotte
I'm just about convinced as to the umbrella idea but carrying one for my autumn Caminos seems an overkill when I've only had a couple of days of decent rain, and that in Galicia of course.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know about that in two autumn Caminos had I had more then my share of rain, and hot sunny days and my umbrella served me well on both as Az said its not just for rain, the best part of it it's not a sweaty mess under that poncho which much rather get wet from the rain

Zzotte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yup.
I'm an umbrella girl.
I walk dry and I walk 10 degrees cooler in the shade.

Hi
Just wondering if you could send me a pic or a link to your umbrella please?
I notice @Kanga also uses one that attaches to her pack (hands free I think).
Is yours like that?
Thank you.
Carol

I got a silver Euroschirm Light Trek austomatic Umbrella. No fancy attachment stuff needed. I found fortuitously that I could just shove the damn thing down my back between the various straps and bits of frame and it was comfortable enough. I tended to use it when the temp got to about 35 deg C which is where my personal discomfort starts.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And here's me thinking I'd start a thread on cyclist's wet weather gear.
IVAR! IVAR!
We've been invaded and overwhelmed by mad umbrella weilding fanatics.
Their intention apears to bludgeon our senses with their loud logic.
They will brook no disagreement.
I fear for my sanity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Paramo have a jacket, the Quito, aimed at cyclists which also work extremely well for walking.
It's very lightweight and has great ventilation zips. As you'd expect for a cycling jacket the colours
are LOUD !

IVAR! IVAR!
I fear for my sanity.

Sorry I think its to late for you :) (I mean fear for your sanity)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having bought my down sleeping bag from a supplier to the cycling fraternity my mind turned to thoughts of their rainware. "Who," I thought, "would know more about keeping dry, warm, and comfortable than these cycling folks? What with their long distance racing and on/off road touring in often extreme conditions."
May I submit for your consideration a couple of simple, less expensive examples from my supplier.
Note the quality, weight, and price of both the jackets and pants. Pants are viewable by ticking the unselected box under the photograph.

https://www.velogear.com.au/clothin...g-rain-wear/original-cycling-rain-jacket.html

https://www.velogear.com.au/clothin...n-wear/original-cycling-rain-jacket-1669.html

My suggestion is to check out the products available from your cycling suppliers.

Regards
Gerard

PS. I'm looking even tho I'm a confirmed ALTUS Poncho guy, still trying to solve the problem whereby water wicks down my socks into my boots!
I wore gaiters as well as Altus when in heavy rain; worked well.

Regards
Gerard

Hi folks,

I'm taking gaiters and rain pants and a silly light poncho and a rain jacket. No umbrella. What are we, John Cleese? This is my first Camino so let's see what happens. I trained in Sydney for many months in both fair weather and foul. My boots got a bit wet once, then I tried the gaiters. I might try rigging a piece of plastic tucked under the front of the gaiters if things get torrential. I've heard that gaiters keep the mud off ones pants so the pantaloons need washing less frequently, so gaiters can be useful after the rain has stopped and mud continues. I can believe that in hot weather, sweat/condensation runs down inside of pants/rain pants into ones boots. Stretchy bits at gaiter tops might alleviate that.

Anyway, as usual on this forum there are as many solutions as there are walkers. It's just that some don't mind getting wet and some are in complete control of their own microclimate and their sanity like yours droolly.

And that's enough from me. Buen Camino, - Mike

Hi folks,

I'm taking gaiters and rain pants and a silly light poncho and a rain jacket. No umbrella. What are we, John Cleese? This is my first Camino so let's see what happens. I trained in Sydney for many months in both fair weather and foul. My boots got a bit wet once, then I tried the gaiters. I might try rigging a piece of plastic tucked under the front of the gaiters if things get torrential. I've heard that gaiters keep the mud off ones pants so the pantaloons need washing less frequently, so gaiters can be useful after the rain has stopped and mud continues. I can believe that in hot weather, sweat/condensation runs down inside of pants/rain pants into ones boots. Stretchy bits at gaiter tops might alleviate that.

Anyway, as usual on this forum there are as many solutions as there are walkers. It's just that some don't mind getting wet and some are in complete control of their own microclimate and their sanity like yours droolly.

And that's enough from me. Buen Camino, - Mike

Rain pants, gaiters, pancho and rain jacket? Ok you will survive the rain and drawn in your own sweat :) I bet your boots are waterproof too right? hahaha I stick with my umbrella :)

zzotte

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Regards
Gerard

The body has 2 halves, the top half and the bottom half. You only have the top half covered. The top half does need to be kept dry and warm unlike the bottom half but walking with a soaked bottom sucks.:D Buen Camino

Rain pants, gaiters, pancho and rain jacket? Ok you will survive the rain and drawn in your own sweat :) I bet your boots are waterproof too right? hahaha I stick with my umbrella :)

zzotte
Well I do intend to experiment and mix and match a bit. I don't expect to be actually wearing everything at once. Unless I try to walk underwater here and there. I trained all through Australian summer and kept cool when it rained. I often walked 4 hours at a time. I shall live and learn. BTW, I'm hoping to lose some weight so an occasional sauna could be useful.

Sorry if I seem a tad irreverent at times, humour gets me through the day.

Buen Camino - Mike

Now look caminojen425. I can't concentrate on what appears at first glance to be a simple and elegant solution when I'm assailed on all sides by cultist umbrellorites. I'd best first go and get a glass of tonic. A large one.
Tonic only! What about adding the gin?? I have the tonic and gin, not the other way around!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mike just remember the backpack unspoken rule not to carry anymore then 10% or less of your body weight on your back :) the camino its full of "experiments and mix and match stuff " sometimes in the ditches but mostly in the albergues specially the first stop :)

Buen Camino
zzotte

Now look caminojen425. I can't concentrate on what appears at first glance to be a simple and elegant solution when I'm assailed on all sides by cultist umbrellorites. I'd best first go and get a glass of tonic. A large one.

I prefer a martini :) dry of course under my umbrella :)

I can believe that in hot weather, sweat/condensation runs down inside of pants/rain pants into ones boots. Stretchy bits at gaiter tops might alleviate that.
Breathable rain pants with full length zips to adjust the ventilation. I walk with the zips open and just the poppers closed at the knees and ankles. That's fine for a drizzly day. When the rain comes horizontal you can quickly close the zips.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tonic only! What about adding the gin?? I have the tonic and gin, not the other way around!!
The tonic is the gin! The quantity depending specifically on the severity of the pain. Our American brothers and sisters having long ago discovered that the over use of additives equates to a decrease in effectiveness.

Brilliant, whoever sidetracked this convo... because I had completely forgotten to pack my gaiters! With only one week until I fly out of NZ...
Cheers!

The tonic is the gin! The quantity depending specifically on the severity of the pain. Our American brothers and sisters having long ago discovered that the over use of additives equates to a decrease in effectiveness.
I knew that!!! But manners prevented me from saying that. Good luck. I am in the middle of a very large ---tonic of course!!

I wear a breathable raincoat (doubling as cold weather wear) and synthetic trousers that dry fast. The jacket is long enough to keep my mid-section dry, so occasionally I have wet knees. They dry, often while I walk.

But I ONLY walk in the colder season.

We have done caminos in winter, spring and autumn, so have definitely needed rain gear. What to use?? We hate the poncho thing - sweaty and with that annoying hood restricting your movement and rain splashing on your face - ugh!. So instead this works (for us) perfectly: an Akubra hat - it's the Aussie version of a stetson, ie a wide-brimmed felt hat, it's great in both rain and sun, keeps your face dry even in heavy rain, and nothing drips down your neck. It is almost indestructible, cool and comfortable. Team that with a breathable 2 layer goretex jacket, very lightweight rain pants and short gaiters and we have happily splashed our way through many very wet days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We have done caminos in winter, spring and autumn, so have definitely needed rain gear. What to use?? We hate the poncho thing - sweaty and with that annoying hood restricting your movement and rain splashing on your face - ugh!. So instead this works (for us) perfectly: an Akubra hat - it's the Aussie version of a stetson, ie a wide-brimmed felt hat, it's great in both rain and sun, keeps your face dry even in heavy rain, and nothing drips down your neck. It is almost indestructible, cool and comfortable. Team that with a breathable 2 layer goretex jacket, very lightweight rain pants and short gaiters and we have happily splashed our way through many very wet days.

don't forget to pack the umbrella :)

Brilliant, whoever sidetracked this convo... because I had completely forgotten to pack my gaiters! With only one week until I fly out of NZ...
Cheers!
Cheers Pi Wakawaka,
Hope, no, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Buen Camino.
Regards
Gerard.
PS...That lovely little fantail looks like he has an inbuilt umbrella.
Evolution. It's a wonderful thing eh?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
IVAR! IVAR!
I fear for my sanity.

bringing it back on track to the OP... I've recently been trialling my Flash Gordon cycling jacket on my walks it's bright yellow with zip-off arms and weighs 290 gms.

Hi all. I guess this the correct area for this info. I contacted the Barrabes Sports store in Madrid to inquire about Altus ponchos. This is their response.

"unfortunately we do not carry the Altus Atmospheric Poncho anymore. However we do have two similar Poncho´s that you might be interested in:
Ferrino R-Cloak Poncho
Tatonka Poncho 2
These two ponchos have the same or higher waterproofing capacity as the Altus ponchos and we recommend them for anyone planning on walking El Camino."

If anyone has any info on where I can purchase an Altus in either Madrid or Seville, please let me know.

Thanks

The Ferrino looks awesome @Middo ! I wonder if they are sold in SJPP...hmm...
I just have my rain jacket and...... (next bit copied and pasted from another post I replied to).
I took my pair of zip off pants and I waterproofed them. I used to work in a place that did the treatment for couches etc, same as scotchguard...
I drenched them... those are now my wet weather pants, whether long or zipped off... only the rain on the Way will tell me of my success or failure... I do know that the waterproofing works, but the test is yet to come ... hahahahahaha.... it shall all be part of the journey!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

and SO Barry McKenzie

upload_2016-3-25_9-29-37.png

The Ferrino looks awesome @Middo ! I wonder if they are sold in SJPP...hmm...
I just have my rain jacket and...... (next bit copied and pasted from another post I replied to).
I took my pair of zip off pants and I waterproofed them. I used to work in a place that did the treatment for couches etc, same as scotchguard...
I drenched them... those are now my wet weather pants, whether long or zipped off... only the rain on the Way will tell me of my success or failure... I do know that the waterproofing works, but the test is yet to come ... hahahahahaha.... it shall all be part of the journey!
I tried that with a spray can of waterproofing from an outdoor supplier. Hopeless it was.
Let us know how the scotchguard equivalent works,
Regards
Gerard

I tried that with a spray can of waterproofing from an outdoor supplier. Hopeless it was.
Let us know how the scotchguard equivalent works,
Regards
Gerard
Will do. This stuff I put in sprayer and coated. It attaches to the fibres much the same as permethrin does. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks

Rain pants weigh too much and take up too much room in the pack. Also, a pain to put on/take off. And no matter what they're made of, they'll be hot after a short time. The answer: a rain kilt. Super light weight, takes up practically no space, and can be put on/taken off easily.

As for wet socks and shoes - yep, your socks and shoes will be wet. Best solution I've found is to just roll with it and hope for dry weather ahead.

That's my plan - Altus and gaiters, hope it works. Just don't tell the fashion police!!
Cathy where did you buy the Altus? I keep changing my mind on rain gear and am disappointed the short gaiters are not actually waterproof. Which ones did you go for? Thanks.

Rain pants weigh too much and take up too much room in the pack. Also, a pain to put on/take off. And no matter what they're made of, they'll be hot after a short time. The answer: a rain kilt. Super light weight, takes up practically no space, and can be put on/taken off easily.
I have to disagree. I use a pair of Berghaus Paclite Goretex overtrousers which weigh 218g. and pack very small. I have used them on the Camino on rainy days when the temperatures were in the high 20's and the heat was not a problem. They are also useful as an extra layer when the weather is particularly cold.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Regards
Gerard

Re the water trickling into socks/shoes, I wear "dirty girl gaitors" while hiking. (that's the company name) They have a gazillion fabric designs, so many would work for men, also. They're not completely waterproof, but would certainly direct the water away, and you could spray them with a water repellent, and I bet that would 95%+ solve the problem.

Cathy where did you buy the Altus? I keep changing my mind on rain gear and am disappointed the short gaiters are not actually waterproof. Which ones did you go for? Thanks.
Hi Meggsy, I got lucky when someone in Melbourne posted their Altus for sale on this forum. The gaiters I bought are
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Water...360005?hash=item542b19bd45:g:pXIAAOSwWTRW07wH
They are waterproof and high enough to go under the Altus and cheap enough that If I think I won't use them I can ditch them. I also chose these because they seemed to be the lightest I could find in waterproof fabric.

€46,-
When in France last year I bought a Poncho/raincoat. Has hood & proper sleeves like a raincoat & comes down to knees. Importantly it has the hump on the back to accommodate a pack. (I have a stiffened synthentic fabric wide brimmed hat for the sun that I can wear inside the hood & it deflects the rain off my face.) I got the raincoat/poncho at an " Intersport " shop, a chain of sports shops in France. I will be bringing a pair of light rainpants. Not bothering with gaiters. Need both hands for my poles, so brollie not on the list. Yes, is a hassle to decide what to take, but we can only suggest what works for us & let others take what they feel they need. I am very conscious of weight. Have issues with knees. At least we are near shops & not in the outback or wilds of South West Tassie.

I also think the long poncho/raincoat (mine is an Altus) are the best so far, but I'd really like one in eVent fabric and with pit zips. If anyone finds one, please let me know. And no, a Packa will not do - too short and too tight for me.

I also think the long poncho/raincoat (mine is an Altus) are the best so far, but I'd really like one in eVent fabric and with pit zips. If anyone finds one, please let me know. And no, a Packa will not do - too short and too tight for me.
Care with eVent, Kanga. I had an eVent Packa (I know you don't want a Packa) - I was practically dripping every rainy day, despite the eVent material and fully opened pit zips.

€60,-
Care with eVent, Kanga. I had an eVent Packa (I know you don't want a Packa) - I was practically dripping every rainy day, despite the eVent material and fully opened pit zips.
It really doesn't matter whether the jacket is eVent or Goretex, these membranes only transpire vapour. Once your sweat collects as fluid, you can slow down or resign yourself to being wet on the inside as well as the outside!

Thanks guys, and yes, my Goretex jacket got discarded for the same reason. Sounds like making do with the Altus, which at least is big enough to allow some air flow, and can be pulled on and off easily (it hangs off my pack). I do use a handsfree trekking umbrella which is the best, as long as it is not too windy.

No perfect answer.

Hi all. I guess this the correct area for this info. I contacted the Barrabes Sports store in Madrid to inquire about Altus ponchos. This is their response.

"unfortunately we do not carry the Altus Atmospheric Poncho anymore. However we do have two similar Poncho´s that you might be interested in:
Ferrino R-Cloak Poncho
Tatonka Poncho 2
These two ponchos have the same or higher waterproofing capacity as the Altus ponchos and we recommend them for anyone planning on walking El Camino."

If anyone has any info on where I can purchase an Altus in either Madrid or Seville, please let me know.

Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Ferrino R-Cloak Poncho
Tatonka Poncho 2

Thanks
Hi all, The problem I see with both the Ferrino and the Tatonka ponchos is the arms. What happens to that last 6 inches of arm that is exposed? If you are holding a walking pole, you have to keep your hand out and you end up getting that area of sleeve drenched!! At least the old Altus had proper sleeves that went right down to the wrist. And what I liked about the Altus is that it closed down the front and it it stopped raining for a bit you could open up and get some air in for a bit. Sometimes I would put it over my head and not use the sleeves and just tie them in front of me and use it to keep nuisance rain off without getting steamy inside.

Thanks guys, and yes, my Goretex jacket got discarded for the same reason. Sounds like making do with the Altus, which at least is big enough to allow some air flow, and can be pulled on and off easily (it hangs off my pack). I do use a handsfree trekking umbrella which is the best, as long as it is not too windy.

No perfect answer.
Kanga what brand of umbrella do you use? I recently bought a Helinox with a view to using it on this September's VDLP. However I'm concerned it might be tricky to attach, and keep attached to my Aarn pack. So the search continues!

image.jpeg @Richo I bought a Euroschirm handsfree and had it sent from the US - the handsfree model is not available in Australia. It is much heavier than I would like, but I still take it on Camino. If you already have a hiking umbrella, it is pretty easy to make it handsfree. With your pack on, put the umbrella canopy up and thread the handle and shaft down through the small carrying loop at the top of your Aarn pack (behind your head) and then pull the handle to the front over a shoulder and attach the cord on the handle either to the waistband of your pack or wherever feels comfortable. Adjust the height and angle until it is comfortable, maybe tucking the handle under a front pack - experiment a bit til it is comfortable. I did post a YouTube video once showing how to do it - I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime here's a photo of me with the Euroschirm and my friend Robyn with a normal hikking umbrella attached as I've suggested.

View attachment 24801 @Richo I bought a Euroschirm handsfree and had it sent from the US - the handsfree model is not available in Australia. It is much heavier than I would like, but I still take it on Camino. If you already have a hiking umbrella, it is pretty easy to make it handsfree. With your pack on, put the umbrella canopy up and thread the handle and shaft down through the small carrying loop at the top of your Aarn pack (behind your head) and then pull the handle to the front over a shoulder and attach the cord on the handle either to the waistband of your pack or wherever feels comfortable. Adjust the height and angle until it is comfortable, maybe tucking the handle under a front pack - experiment a bit til it is comfortable. I did post a YouTube video once showing how to do it - I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime here's a photo of me with the Euroschirm and my friend Robyn with a normal hikking umbrella attached as I've suggested.
Thanks Kanga! I'll try it out asap.

I have to disagree. I use a pair of Berghaus Paclite Goretex overtrousers which weigh 218g. and pack very small. I have used them on the Camino on rainy days when the temperatures were in the high 20's and the heat was not a problem. They are also useful as an extra layer when the weather is particularly cold.
Of course, to each his own, but as an ultralight hiker I begrudge ounces. ;) My kilt weighs over 160 g less than your trousers, and take up almost no pack space. Also useful as a ground cover to sit on. But if you're happy with your trousers, that's ok by me! :)

The rain in Spain very often comes with high gusts of wind. There’s no way you can keep an umbrella upright or yourself balanced with wind and rain pushing it all over the place. Umbrellas also crowds out other pilgrims and cyclists on the path. Umbrellas are good for the city but not hiking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All this talk about rain on the Camino. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Camino #1: Zero rain days. I didn't even carry any rain gear and glad I didn't. It would have been useless.
Camino #2: Two rain days. The breathable Columbia rain jacket I carried worked like a champ. That's the only rain gear I carried (besides a pack cover). I wasn't worried about getting my legs wet as I wore shorts. Skin dries, and shoes gonna get wet anyway, no matter what you wear.
Camino #3: Two rain days. Again, only the Columbia rain jacket and the pack cover. No problems.
I really couldn't imagine having carried gaiters with me, as I don't see what purpose they would have served. Rain pants would have been useful on earlier season Caminos when it's cold, but that wasn't the case in June through September.
Don't think about the "what if's"....

Hi Meggsy, I got lucky when someone in Melbourne posted their Altus for sale on this forum. The gaiters I bought are
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Water...360005?hash=item542b19bd45:g:pXIAAOSwWTRW07wH
They are waterproof and high enough to go under the Altus and cheap enough that If I think I won't use them I can ditch them. I also chose these because they seemed to be the lightest I could find in waterproof fabric.
Thanks Cathy - i had bought some on ebay but they were about as waterproof as a cotton tshirt!! Even tho they stated waterproof. I assume you have checked yours?? Will purchase if so. Getting close now.

In the fall they carried both the Altus and the Ferrino at the store in SJPdP. They are almost identical. I wore one and my friend wore the other, we didn't notice a difference, but we did LOVE them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@West Coaster we have a difference of opinion. I find my umbrella very useful on the Camino.

My own view is that people should take what they find comfortable and what suits them. What one person finds invaluable may be useless to another. That's OK.

In the fall they carried both the Altus and the Ferrino at the store in SJPdP. They are almost identical. I wore one and my friend wore the other, we didn't notice a difference, but we did LOVE them.
Thank you for everyones input - i have decided i may get wet, i may be uncomfortable but i shall go with what i have and walk the camino regardless. See you there.

Thanks Cathy - i had bought some on ebay but they were about as waterproof as a cotton tshirt!! Even tho they stated waterproof. I assume you have checked yours?? Will purchase if so. Getting close now.
Hi Meggsy, mmm, I haven't tested them, you will know how much rain we have had here in recent months....not !! I might have to figure a way to try them out somehow

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds like you got stitched up Meggsy!!

I use short gaiters which work perfectly well in preventing rain from dribbling into the tops of my boots.

View attachment 24801 @Richo I bought a Euroschirm handsfree and had it sent from the US - the handsfree model is not available in Australia. It is much heavier than I would like, but I still take it on Camino. If you already have a hiking umbrella, it is pretty easy to make it handsfree. With your pack on, put the umbrella canopy up and thread the handle and shaft down through the small carrying loop at the top of your Aarn pack (behind your head) and then pull the handle to the front over a shoulder and attach the cord on the handle either to the waistband of your pack or wherever feels comfortable. Adjust the height and angle until it is comfortable, maybe tucking the handle under a front pack - experiment a bit til it is comfortable. I did post a YouTube video once showing how to do it - I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime here's a photo of me with the Euroschirm and my friend Robyn with a normal hikking umbrella attached as I've suggested.
Kanga, have you had any problems with the umbrella blowing about or turning inside out in the wind on your Caminos? I have friends (from the Camino) who swear by their umbrellas - I'm still a little uncertain :)

Well, of course it is no good on very windy days, for those I rely on my Altus. My umbrella is extremely sturdy and if it blows inside out it flicks back again, without any damage. I used it extensively on both the Norte and the Frances, for rain and also shade on hot days.

The first time I used an umbrella it was a very cheap one and it was fine until I pushed it a bit far in a wind storm. My silly fault. Lots of people rely on cheap umbrellas, so why not try that and see if you like it? Nothing lost if you discard it. I think @Anniesantiago buys a new cheap umbrella each time she comes to Spain, and it works for her. She's had lots of experience.

€60,-
The Euroschirm website makes available a downloadable catalogue from which you can, at leisure, select a suitable model.
To cut through the many available may I suggest the Telescope Hands free model no 16 for your initial consideration.
With a closed length of 48 cm, due to it's telescopic nature, it appears eminently suitable to be carried in a pack's side pocket. It has a decent sized canopy, and the hands free clip kit is included.
I note Euroschirm say they now have an office in the US so would presume availability has improved there.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:

Regards
Gerard

When I were a lad, we used cycling capes in the rain (bit like a poncho) ......

Biff

Hi Meggsy, I tried holding my gaiters under a fast flowing tap and no water penetrated the fabric. I'm sure it is possible some rain could get through the top where they gather around the calf but don't know how you could stop that with any of them. I think that my Altus is long enough to hopefully prevent that happening too much. The gaiters come to just below my knees.

€149,-
The rain in Spain very often comes with high gusts of wind. There’s no way you can keep an umbrella upright or yourself balanced with wind and rain pushing it all over the place. Umbrellas also crowds out other pilgrims and cyclists on the path. Umbrellas are good for the city but not hiking.

Wow! Totatly disagree but again to each its own I have been hiking with umbrellas for a long time in all sorts of trail I don't ever remember hiking single file because of the umbrella, never stopped a bicyclist from passing because of the umbrella and with my latest umbrella it defies wind and protects me from the sun and she is a porkie at 15 oz and I love every once of it :)

Zzotte

Hi Meggsy, I tried holding my gaiters under a fast flowing tap and no water penetrated the fabric. I'm sure it is possible some rain could get through the top where they gather around the calf but don't know how you could stop that with any of them. I think that my Altus is long enough to hopefully prevent that happening too much. The gaiters come to just below my knees.
Ahh thats great because i ordered them! My previous ones didnt even hold up under a drizzle of water! Thank you for that reassurance!! Enjoy your Camino.

The past couple weekends, I have trying out mixing and matching my rain gear on 25 to 54 mile bike rides in 55 to 60 degree F weather.

I have a wicking skull cap that goes under my bike helmet and keeps ears and top of head warm. I also carry a wicking baclava, but haven't needed it.

I have a compression technical wicking T-shirt, a Columbia Omni-Heat thermal undershirt and a Nike fleece/foam long sleeve Tiger Woods golf shirt. I then put on an Eddie Bauer micro-down vest (that can easily come off and be stored, when I warm up). Then a Performance Bike GoreTex rain jacket with arm and back zips for ventilation.

I wear padded technical bike shorts. Over the bike shorts I wear CWX StabiliyX running tights. Both wick away moisture. The running tights are compression and help you expend less energy in endurance events. I learned about those running half marathons, then started using them for mountain climbing, skiing and biking. They are great. No rain paints as active legs tend to stay warm for me. I also don't like floppy anything on my legs while biking, too much chaffing and chance to get in chain.

Gloves are Pearl Izumi winder full finger biking gloves.

Socks are Seal Skinz thermal water proof socks and if it is really raining covered by some Pear Izumi cycle overshoes. I purchased the Seal Skinz thermal waterproof socks for preventing frostbite while hiking on glaciers. They are great and when combined with the overboots provide for toasty warm and dry feet.

That is my rain outfit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kanga other people have expressed interest in the Euroschirm hands-free umbrella. Since your friend used a regular hiking umbrella, were you able to discern any appreciable difference in the ease of use? I can't find the specs on their webpage - how much does it weigh and does it fit into your Aarn pack? Cheers.

Richo to answer your question have the full size and weights 11oz it attaches to aarn pack with no problems but I never tried with the front packs on

zzotte

Richo to answer your question have the full size and weights 11oz it attaches to aarn pack with no problems but I never tried with the front packs on

zzotte
Thanks zzotte!

€46,-
I think it is heavy compared to some other trekking umbrellas, and obviously much heavier than ordinary ultra light ones. Mine fits in the Aarn pack, but I have the Featherlite.
@Richo it is easier to use hands free - which is why I bought it.

I also think the long poncho/raincoat (mine is an Altus) are the best so far, but I'd really like one in eVent fabric and with pit zips.
Kanga, I so AGREE. An Altus in breathable fabric would be the perfect ticket! If I knew how to sew, we could start a gofundme company to make these for pilgrims.
But listening to all the unbrellenthusiasts, it makes you wonder if an Altus is not always the best choice... :)
It is great having your pack fully covered. No matter how good a pack cover you have, it never seems to protect it as well as an Altus.
I pair the Altus with rain chaps, which are better leg coverage than gaitors. This protects from vertical rain, still gives lots of ventilation, and usually weighs less.
10270895x1011652_zm

Also wish an Altus could be cinched somehow to make it a viable "wear around town" jacket for the evenings when it is not raining.

Rambler

LOL @Rambler - I take both an Altus and an umbrella and use whichever suits, depending on wind and/or heat.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning for this fall & have been following this thread v closely. I got a Snugpak poncho for a good price and have pondered chaps for that gap. ( there are very few original ideas but the one above resonates with me)
I am going to add reflective tape to my poncho - a low weight mod for high vis - because when it rains it is usually windy and darker so I hope this approach works.

I think it is heavy compared to some other trekking umbrellas, and obviously much heavier than ordinary ultra light ones. Mine fits in the Aarn pack, but I have the Featherlite.
@Richo it is easier to use hands free - which is why I bought it.

Hi @Kanga
Is your umbrella a Euroschrim or is Featherlike the brand name? I have searched for both, but can't seem to find the hands free option.
Can you buy them in Oz?
Thanks Carol

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, my umbrella is a Euroshcrim - handsfree, like this
My backpack is the Aarn Featherlite
The Euroschrim handsfree is not available anywhere in Australia, although some of their other models are. I imported it from the US.

€46,-
LOL @Rambler - I take both an Altus and an umbrella and use whichever suits, depending on wind and/or heat.
That's my plan. I will have a EuroShirm handsfree, and I have reserved an Altus at the store in SJPdP. I much prefer an umbrella to wearing a hood, which I feel hampers my sight, plus I will use it for sun protection.

@trecile I've solved the hood problem by wearing a tennis visor underneath it. Otherwise my glasses get water on them - the peaks of raincoats and parkers, etc are always inadequate. I wear the visor instead of a hat. Can't stand hats.

Oh, sorry, my umbrella is a Euroshcrim - handsfree, like this
My backpack is the Aarn Featherlite
The Euroschrim handsfree is not available anywhere in Australia, although some of their other models are. I imported it from the US.

Thank you. I suspected it wouldn't be available here. I think we may have left it too late to order from O/S as we leave in less than 3 weeks.
Maybe it will have to wait for our next Camino :)

I noticed in your picture with the umbrellas, you both had dark shirts on. I always thought that black attracted the sun and made you hotter. I have a nice Merino Wool black T shirt, but was not too sure about bringing it. Any comments?

Last edited:
Yes, @Joodle, I don't believe dark clothing is any hotter than light clothing. Desert dwellers often favour dark colours. One theory, based on physics, contends that dark clothing is actually cooler - see this explanation.

I read about another experiment done recently, that measured body temperature to a very exact degree, to see if dark or light clothing made any difference. It did not not. That experiment found that the only colour that made a tiny, tiny, bit of difference, is reflective silver on the outside. Which makes sense.

Light clothing probably has a placebo effect. If you think it feels cooler, it does.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back