• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rainwear -again!!

Ahaj

Starting the second half of my Camino again in Leon on June 3 2016. Last time I walked from SJPP as far as Leon in September and needed rainwear for about 20 minutes in total. I'm not inclined to add waterproof trousers to my wonderful super light Rab jacket. It does thou look as if rain could be more likely in June and so my question is whether on the stretch between Leon and Santiago it would be possible to buy extra rain gear (such as poncho or gaiters) if the weather ends up being very wet?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Starting the second half of my Camino again in Leon on June 3 2016. Last time I walked from SJPP as far as Leon in September and needed rainwear for about 20 minutes in total. I'm not inclined to add waterproof trousers to my wonderful super light Rab jacket. It does thou look as if rain could be more likely in June and so my question is whether on the stretch between Leon and Santiago it would be possible to buy extra rain gear (such as poncho or gaiters) if the weather ends up being very wet?
We found equipment all along the route. Sometimes in regular backpacking type stores and other times in clothing stores. I do believe a person could fly in and start from SJPDP with nothing but a wallet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Every day when I repacked that 1 pound rain suit I wondered the same question... until the rain came down sideways for a day and a half. My ideal solution would be to have a couple extra "rain days" in my schedule if possible for the bad ones and enjoy the gentle ones.

We found equipment all along the route. Sometimes in regular backpacking type stores and other times in clothing stores. I do believe a person could fly in and start from SJPDP with nothing but a wallet
I actually met a person who did exactly that. He was visiting family in England & took a hop to Pamploma. Just started walking with just the clothes on his back. He made out fine. Just bought a day pack & a fleece jacket. Not sure what else he had in the pack. But he did just fine.

Ahaj:

It always rains in Galacia. I would not walk with out rain gear.

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My total rain gear is only 7 ounces, so it's not much extra weight. Plus, the poncho is also a groundsheet. I never saw anything this light available to buy on the Camino.
I carry a Z-pack Groundsheet - poncho (5.1 oz) with a Z-pack Rain Kilt (1.9 oz).
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/groundsheet_poncho.shtml
Wow, these are fascinating! I've never seen a rain kilt!

I assume you used them on your Camino in September? They must have worked well or you wouldn't recommend them. Why the kilt rather than rain pants? I worry about wet and cold legs.

Wow, these are fascinating! I've never seen a rain kilt!

I assume you used them on your Camino in September? They must have worked well or you wouldn't recommend them. Why the kilt rather than rain pants? I worry about wet and cold legs.
The kilt is lighter and provides more air circulation and well... it just looked cool. Rain pants have the advantage of providing something that you can wear when washing everything else. We didn't have much rain last September, so I guess they weren't fully field tested. The poncho doubled as a ground cloth, but I never had to sleep out. A few times I got the last bed in the albergue, however. The cuben fiber fabric is amazingly strong and lightweight, but also expensive. I'm at a place in my life where I can buy what I feel is best. Having a pack weight of 14 pounds was worth the money I spent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the replies which as ever give plenty to think about! I'm interested in the z pack groundsheet poncho so will have to look at my budget!!!

I am going to be a bit more in favor of rain coat & pants than just a poncho.
My main reason for this is due to temperature changes & the ability for quality coats & pants that breath, the sweat vapor escapes.
I agree that the ponchos cover the pack & shoulders & can be used for an emergency shelter. But you are not in a wilderness where the closest help is days away. It is for the most part 2-3 hours max If you don't simply call a taxi. Quite frankly any rain gear will work & the lighter the better. The good stuff just keeps you comfortable longer. The pants keep the mud off your clothes, & keep you warmer if you walk in cold weather. The time of year dictates what goes into the pack more than anything.

So whatever you decide walking for days in a down pour is just another way of character building.
Keith

Astorga. Good outfitter on one of the main squares. I think across from the Bishop's Palace but if not close by. Bought a great rain cost there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll just get a poncho or one of those cheapo raincoats that cover the backpack as well.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for your great ideas. I'm just going to get a poncho or one of those cheapo raincoats that go over your backpack as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll just get a poncho or one of those cheapo raincoats that cover the backpack as well.
On my first Camino just before heading to Spain I picked up a cheap emergency poncho emblazoned with" Bunnings" on it for $2 Aus or so thinking "if worst comes to worst". Never needed it but it may earn its place again- just not keen on being a walking advert!

June will be a tad warm, a good poncho should work out just fine. If you run into more rain than normal an umbrella works good. You may even find one with bunnies on it. Although I prefer the little yellow ducklings. Rain is good,it keeps the pollen count down. Buen camino and have a great journey

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.