• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Ramblings from the Norte

mexicokid99

Time of past OR future Camino
I am on day 29 of my first Camino and I started in Irun and tonight I am in Lourenza I have read some topics and just want to add my 2cents worth....not meant to judge in any way but just what has worked for me.
I am a single fit 66 year old guy and for what ever reason uprooted myself out of my wonderful and comfortable lifestyle living in Mexico to come walk...I have planned it over the last 2 years and when I arrived in Irun I thought I was ready had the pack down to 14 pounds, had great shoes and raring to go..the first night's sleep in the lbergue in Irun was a disaster I was in a three person room and in the bunk below me was the Italian Olympic snoring champion even ear plugs did not help gotno sleep.....I started out that morning and met another Camino virgin Mike a young American guy and we walked all day together and it was a great start..the Albergue was again a snoring event and then they get up at 5.30am with their packs and plastic bags...I did this for 6 days and then said to myself enough at my age if i am going to do this thing I need rest and a good nights sleep so since then I have stayed in private pensions, B & B's and hotels the most I have paid is 40 Euros and i have stayed at wonderful places most include dinner and breakfast......again no judgements i know some Pilgrims are on strict budgets and want the Albergue family experience......the walk has been incredible everyday and I do mean every day the Camino does provide.....the yellow arrows are wonderful and the route easytofollow..I have no other Caminos to compare to but i did find a lot of pavement walking..love the ocean that is why I stayed on the Northern route.....other pilgrims if I saw 6 a day that was a lot most days saw none but did enjoy the company when i was with other pilgrims made new friends and especially Eliza my new Polish friend we semed to bump into each other every day she is now on the Primitivo but we are to meet in Santiago.......I have a blog at www.mexicokid.blogspot.com
this has been a wonderfultime in my life and i did sort out a big issue in my life after 3 days.......again just what works for me as i feel now when I get to santiaga and see those steps up to that cathedral that will be it for me..I will go to Finnestre but by bus....tattoos I have a small one on my ankle from years ago but i intend to get another one of a yellow arrow very small on the inside of my little finger because i know for the rest of my life when choices have to be made I follow the arrow......I walk about 25-30km and had about 2 days of a shin splint otherwise I feel very fit and strong..wonderful weather with just one day of pounding rain.......sorry to go on just wanted to share..I am doing this the Frank Sinatra way and it blesses me each day..thanks for reading les

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am on day 29 of my first Camino and I started in Irun and tonight I am in Lourenza I have read some topics and just want to add my 2cents worth....not meant to judge in any way but just what has worked for me.
I am a single fit 66 year old guy and for what ever reason uprooted myself out of my wonderful and comfortable lifestyle living in Mexico to come walk...I have planned it over the last 2 years and when I arrived in Irun I thought I was ready had the pack down to 14 pounds, had great shoes and raring to go..the first night's sleep in the lbergue in Irun was a disaster I was in a three person room and in the bunk below me was the Italian Olympic snoring champion even ear plugs did not help gotno sleep.....I started out that morning and met another Camino virgin Mike a young American guy and we walked all day together and it was a great start..the Albergue was again a snoring event and then they get up at 5.30am with their packs and plastic bags...I did this for 6 days and then said to myself enough at my age if i am going to do this thing I need rest and a good nights sleep so since then I have stayed in private pensions, B & B's and hotels the most I have paid is 40 Euros and i have stayed at wonderful places most include dinner and breakfast......again no judgements i know some Pilgrims are on strict budgets and want the Albergue family experience......the walk has been incredible everyday and I do mean every day the Camino does provide.....the yellow arrows are wonderful and the route easytofollow..I have no other Caminos to compare to but i did find a lot of pavement walking..love the ocean that is why I stayed on the Northern route.....other pilgrims if I saw 6 a day that was a lot most days saw none but did enjoy the company when i was with other pilgrims made new friends and especially Eliza my new Polish friend we semed to bump into each other every day she is now on the Primitivo but we are to meet in Santiago.......I have a blog at www.mexicokid.blogspot.com
this has been a wonderfultime in my life and i did sort out a big issue in my life after 3 days.......again just what works for merain.......sorry to go on just wanted to share..I am doing this the Frank Sinatra way and it blesses me each day..reading les
Thanks for sharing your experience I really enjoyed reading this. Take care and enjoy the rest of the journey !

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Sometimes it takes a few days or more on the camino to realize what works for you. On my first camino, I did not sleep on the plane coming from the States, stayed at an albergue the first night and met the world famous Sardenian snoring champion, so still no sleep. For the next night in Orrison, I was bunked next to a couple who decided to renew their honeymoon experiences all night, so still no sleep. So, upon arriving in Roncevalles, with no sleep in three days, I decided to get a private room. Felt very guilty in the beginning, but then realized that if I couldn't get sleep, I would never make it to Santiago. What works for me is a couple of days at the albergues, followed by getting an inexpensive private room to catch up on sleep. Also, I now start my camino after the flight over with a first nights stay at a hotel to make sure I get some sleep prior to the first stage. Everyone has a different situation to deal with. It sounds like you adjusted and had a great camino del norte. I look forward to walking this route September 1st.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your descriptions made me smile and feel deeply nostalgic to be on the camino norte again. I hope you continue to enjoy it, thank you for sharing your experience.

Thank you for your feedback Mexicokid. It is encouraging to read you're having no problems with terrain and you're finding it a lovely walk. The sleeping experience is personal and can be just a timing issue (what straw you draw with the pilgrim flow), so that is not off-putting for me. I'll also be there sometime in September, all going well.

Buen Camino for the rest
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just completed my camino in Santiago, having also walked the Camino del Norte. I agree with you 100%. I spent nights in albergues at first with little issue, but eventually found it did not make for a good camino for me. At 50 years old, I did not feel I needed to get up at 6am to get to the next stop ASAP. Not only did staying in pensiones, hospedajes and small hotels add a unique flavor all it's own, but it allowed me to get a decent night's sleep, get up on my own timeline and feel comfortable every day. There was not a "race" to get beds, although that was only an issue once in Santa Cruz and then the albergue hospitaleria recommended I take the 5 minute train ride to the next town of Boo de Pielagos. It turned out to be a wonderful experience in a new albergue.

This is YOUR camino. Everyone is entitled to experience it in their own way. Staying in accommodations other than an albergue does not make you any less a pilgrim. Once completed, the sense of accomplishment of having actually made the journey is simply overwhelming and satisfying.

Buon camino my fellow peregrino!

this has been a wonderfultime in my life and i did sort out a big issue in my life after 3 days.......again just what works for me as i feel now when I get to santiaga and see those steps up to that cathedral that will be it for me..I will go to Finnestre but by bus....tattoos I have a small one on my ankle from years ago but i intend to get another one of a yellow arrow very small on the inside of my little finger because i know for the rest of my life when choices have to be made I follow the arrow......I walk about 25-30km and had about 2 days of a shin splint otherwise I feel very fit and strong..wonderful weather with just one day of pounding rain.......sorry to go on just wanted to share..I am doing this the Frank Sinatra way and it blesses me each day..thanks for reading les
Dear Mexicokid99, I had a great time reading your comments. So true!!! I completed the Camino Frances in May this year and had a similar experience. I had an Italian Champion Snorer by my side one night. Literally "by my side" The only separation was a shirt hanging. This was a very large room but too many beds. This fellow pilgrim started serenading me at 9:00pm all the way until 5:00am. I looked for another place to sleep but there was no where to go. I was tempted to touch him and ask him to turn (since he was literally sleeping next to me), but did not want to take the risk. The next day I had find a room to sleep. I was tired. I did use the ear plugs but those did not help. How is the weather? During May it was great. Cool in the early mornings and comfortable the rest of the day. A few showers but nothing a Pilgrim can't handle after going through the path from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Rocesvalles under rain, wind, and mud. I would like to do the Camino del Norte next. I can imagine the beautiful views of the cost. Please, if you can, share your experience so future pilgrims can follow your steps. Muchas gracias y Buen Camino.

Thanks for the wonderful comments I am now 125km away from the end and I feel very strng even after a 35km getting lost day yesterday.....in a great small hotel with bath tub for 20 Euros in Vilalba and the weather today was fantastic......some of my never forget moments......getting a stick from an old lady walking her horse......a young lady who whilst I was watching a soccer game and with no introduction came to me gave me a small leather braclet with an angel and said to me in perfect English"Now you have someone to watch over you on your journey"....the 5 horses in the field with bells on it was like a symphony i sat and listened for 20 minutes..the beautiful beaches.....the amazing yet amazing people I met especially Eliza from Poland she will always be a friend.....the ladies in the bakeries who give me extra cookies.......everyone so kind and best of all the camino sorted out my big personal issue after only 3 days!!!! Les

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the wonderful comments I am now 125km away from the end and I feel very strng even after a 35km getting lost day yesterday.....in a great small hotel with bath tub for 20 Euros in Vilalba and the weather today was fantastic......some of my never forget moments......getting a stick from an old lady walking her horse......a young lady who whilst I was watching a soccer game and with no introduction came to me gave me a small leather braclet with an angel and said to me in perfect English"Now you have someone to watch over you on your journey"....the 5 horses in the field with bells on it was like a symphony i sat and listened for 20 minutes..the beautiful beaches.....the amazing yet amazing people I met especially Eliza from Poland she will always be a friend.....the ladies in the bakeries who give me extra cookies.......everyone so kind and best of all the camino sorted out my big personal issue after only 3 days!!!! Les
That sounds so wonderful. Wish I was walking now. Enjoy your final stage. Soak up every bit of it and the kind people you meet. Buen camino

I too met some champion Italian snorers on the Norte - what is it about Italy? They were delightful chaps, one a Franciscan priest. They snored in duet, and every morning I would call them Pavarotti and Caruso and give them 'Bravo!'s for another great concert. They made up for the disruption by cooking the most delicious pasta

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well now I am only 38 km away from the END!!!! last night due to circumstances i did stay in a private hostel and it so well run and lovely facilities in the room were 12 beds 7 of which were occupied before we retired for the evening i quizzed everyone about their snoring habits and they all promised they did not snore, they lied of course but it was not so bad...BUT the 6 of them had their alarms set for 5.30am give me a break, they fumbled around in the dark with the zips, the plastic bags and i just sat up in bed and said'Good morning you may as well turn the light on so you can see what you are doing as I am awake" dont think they got it anyway they were out of there by 6am...I had my morning cup of tea doctored my feet got ready and left at 7.15am feeling great and today i walked 35 km and feel so strong...oh and by the way at 12.30pm I past the morning 5.30 group and i said with a smile Buen Camino...this is fun!!!!!!

Mexico...
I loved Luarca so much my wife and I returned to rent an apartment in the winter that followed. Tapia de Casariego has a dive of a municipal, but with the best real estate location on all the Norte!!!

Thank you for your thoughts. I too am 66 years and like you I want to experience the Camino in every way. I will most likely be the other Italian guy who could win the Olympic of snoring. I am worried for I do not want to upset any fellow pilgrims. So after a night of staying in an albergue I will most likely follow you and stay in private places. I don't want to be the first pilgrim to be banned from the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.