• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Random hiking poles comment

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just went through TSA once again with my hiking poles. But I was surprised to find that they confiscated my corkscrew. This is a corkscrew that was given to me in Spain and successfully made it through many European security checkpoints. So I guess that means that corkscrews are not a good thing to pack.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to the Camino, even though corkscrews and hiking poles are pretty basic Camino packing gear.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bummer.
TSA agents seems to have broad range in deciding for themselves what to allow and what not to allow.
Just depends on the agent and what side of the bed they got up on, it feels.
Sorry about your corkscrew :(

Hi, Annie,

The TSA guy told me that the corkscrew was not a matter of discretion. It has one of those short cutters on it to cut the wrapping around the top of the bottle. In Europe, that can go on board so long as it is less than 3 cm long, but in the United States, he told me that no blade of any length or any sort is allowed by TSA regulations. I brought that corkscrew home with me from Spain last year. It was given to me by a very nice man in a wine shop. I'm sorry to have lost it but it's no big deal.

The hiking poles, as always (for me at least), went through without a hitch.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Laurie @peregrina2000

So where are you off to with a corkscrew and walking poles if not a Camino?:D

My corkscrew was also confiscated this summer at the Bilbao airport but let my walking sticks through as always. There was a thread a month or so ago about poles being confiscated in Bilbao but I have successfully gone through twice.

The security guard was sooooo apologetic about the corkscrew, it wasn't a present or anything, in fact I got it at a Chino for probably 1,50.

When are you coming over???

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back