• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Random Quotes

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
I know we had similar threads before ;-) but I can't find them ;-( and as I just found this quote/saying, I wanted to share it. Feel free to add your own. Buen Camino, SY

"Life doesn't mean to wait until the storm has passed, but to dance in the rain."

Source unknown (to me)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
two, sorry they are long winded (but from me what else could be expected?)

Y si acaso no supieres
donde me hallaras a Mi,
no andes de aqui para alli,
sino, si hallarme quiesieres
a Mi buscarme has en ti.
(my apologies for lack of accents, I can't get my computer to cooperate)
--from Buscando A Dios, St. Theresa of Avila

and the similar
The minute I heard my first love story
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along
--From Music Master, Rumi

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Attachments

• IMG-20160925-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160925-WA0000.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 19
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know we had similar threads before ;-) but I can't find them ;-( and as I just found this quote/saying, I wanted to share it. Feel free to add your own. Buen Camino, SY

"Life doesn't mean to wait until the storm has passed, but to dance in the rain."

Source unknown (to me)
Think this going to be an interesting thread.
I have two favourites

If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make,who would you call and what would you say?
And what are you waiting for??(Stephen Levine)

And

If I had my life to live over again......
Next time I'd find you sooner,so I could love you longer
(Seen on a card)
(Second one is a bit soppy I know!!)

Great thread SYates! I love a great quote and I collect them.

I have three random quotes to add.

The first quote is a well-known Rumi quote (part of one of his poems) which I first read several years back in Ailsa Piper's beautiful Camino memoir "Sinning Across Spain" ... this quote falls into the random category as it literally fell out of a magazine she had picked up in the lounge at the airport on her way to Spain. I've seen the quote quite a few times since - even in the movie about Princess Diana a few years back - which is a further testament to its randomness! BTW - One of our Forum members has the quote as their signature. The quote is :

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."

The second quote is one of Rainer Maria Rilke's quotes and it's from The Duino Elegies. I saw this quote recently in the opening credits of a delightful and touching movie "The Space Between" - an Italian/Australian co-production. The quote is:

"Strange not to go on wishing one's wishes - Strange to see what was once in place so loosely floating in space".

The last quote is so random and I don't remember where I first read it but I smile each time I read it. The quote is by Sue Servatus and it is:

"Remember that power tools are very unforgiving".

Cheers - Jenny

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
@SabineP Thanks. I just sent this quote to my freshman in college. He is there with several friends from high school. I think he has become complacent and is not reaching out to make new friends. He is surrounded by opportunity. All of the freshman are away from home, many for the first time, all he has to do is strike up a conversation.

@SabineP Thanks. I just sent this quote to my freshman in college. He is there with several friends from high school. I think he has become complacent and is not reaching out to make new friends. He is surrounded by opportunity. All of the freshman are away from home, many for the first time, all he has to do is strike up a conversation.

Ah give him some time. I was a bit of the same during my uni-time. Some of us are " late-bloomers ". Took me till my late twenties to " get there". Will be fine. Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
12369224_929326100486337_1712045308075316676_n.jpg

there can be times when the full wisdom of this becomes apparent

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I enjoy collecting quotes. There are so many good ones. Here are a few:

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich." Tao Te Ching

"Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again and again, the gift which must be asked for, the door at which a man must knock. Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life. It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner. Above all, it is costly because it cost God the life of his Son." ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"Age has no reality except in the physical world. The essence of a human being is resistant to the passage of time. Our inner lives are eternal, which is to say that our spirits remain as youthful and vigorous as when we were in full bloom. Think of love as a state of grace, not the means to anything, but the alpha and omega. An end in itself." Gabriel García Márquez

I love this quote, and have used it on the Camino Forum before. It really sums up my feelings about the Camino and why I was not as elated as many when I reached Santiago...reaching Santiago meant that much of the journey was over, and for me, the journey was more important than the destination:

The last line in the book “Up Country” by Nelson DeMille:

The journey home is never a direct route; it is, in fact, always circuitous, and somewhere along the way, we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination, and that the people we meet along the way will be the traveling companions of our memories forever.

The Camino was and my life has been an amazing journey. And my journey continues: I'll be in Chiang Mai, Thailand for a month in January to do yoga and break in a new pair of hiking boots in preparation for my returning to walk the Camino Frances next April.

--jim--

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But mousie, thou art no thy lane, (not alone)
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes of mice and men
Gang aft aglay, (often go awry)
And leave us naught but grief and pain,
For promised joy.

Still thou art blessed compared with me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But och! I backward cast my e'e, (eye)
On prospects drear!
And forward, tho I canna see,
I guess and fear!

- Robert Burns - To A Mouse (On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough, November 1785) - The last two verses

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
"Insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result"

Attributed to Einstein but applicable to anybody who has walked the Camino more than once!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Let's not forget the forever inspirational wall taggings we see along The Way. :)

IMG_1716.jpg

may I add another?(even if not spray painted on someone else's wall...or worse...I cannot believe that @Mark Lee, I would have been livid if that were there when I walked)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
--Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy), John Lennon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
uh, yeah....nothing says inspiration like illegally defacing someone else's property with graffiti paint o_O
View attachment 29661
this unbelievably ill-behaved tagger should be found and marched up to this every other week to clean up any paint or trash...for oh, about three years. 70 or so climbs should help them understand what it is to be an adult member of society.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
may I add another?(even if not spray painted on someone else's wall...or worse...I cannot believe that @Mark Lee, I would have been livid if that were there when I walked)

Imagine.

Two of a series:
join-us.jpg
live-as-one.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Yeah, that was when I walked the CF the first time. Was such a beautiful, warm day and I gotta admit a bit disappointing to see the graffiti tagged on the pilgrim sculptures.
Could only shake my head and wonder what kind of idiot does stuff like that. I mean it took some planning of sorts. Intent and deliberation. Bringing a spray can up there and thinking doing that is acceptable. I think the same thing at all the graffiti tagged Camino kilometer markers.

Yeah, that was when I walked the CF the first time. Was such a beautiful, warm day and I gotta admit a bit disappointing to see the graffiti tagged on the pilgrim sculptures.
Could only shake my head and wonder what kind of idiot does stuff like that. I mean it took some planning of sorts. Intent and deliberation. Bringing a spray can up there and thinking doing that is acceptable. I think the same thing at all the graffiti tagged Camino kilometer markers.
well, so far (fingers crossed) this sort of nonsense hasn't made it to the corner of the world I now call home...and I think maybe @Rick of Rick and Peg took the pictures because he also thought it out of place (sorry if I assume wrong)...so if either of you make it to the central coast I will spring for a good dinner and California wine, graffiti-free. I owe it to you both since my trip was sans-graffiti (except for the "free the Basques" on the Norte)...I admit I saw it on the mile markers near SdC (I picked up the trash, and tried to wipe off the graffitti)
exit, feeling a little guilty:oops:

well, so far (fingers crossed) this sort of nonsense hasn't made it to the corner of the world I now call home...and I think maybe @Rick of Rick and Peg took the pictures because he also thought it out of place (sorry if I assume wrong)...so if either of you make it to the central coast I will spring for a good dinner and California wine, graffiti-free. I owe it to you both since my trip was sans-graffiti (except for the "free the Basques" on the Norte)
exit, feeling a little guilty:oops:
Hey, much thanks for the offer. I'm a native son. Born in La Jolla.
I got some photos of Camino graffiti I can't even post on here, ha ha.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
this unbelievably ill-behaved tagger should be found and marched up to this every other week to clean up any paint or trash...for oh, about three years. 70 or so climbs should help them understand what it is to be an adult member of society.
ha ha...yeah
I can just imagine had I done something like that when I was a youth and my dad found out. Dios mio! He would have had me humping scrapers and wire brushes, soap and water up that hill in the midday sun to clean that nonsense off the sculptures.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Let's not forget the forever inspirational wall taggings we see along The Way. :)

View attachment 29660

Is tu vida es una mierda ... Cambia la!

Or, polite translation/extension into English:

If your life is shit - Use it as compost!

Buen Camino, SY

I think maybe @Rick of Rick and Peg took the pictures because he also thought it out of place (sorry if I assume wrong)
I took the pictures because, like it or not, it was part of the camino experience.

This inspirational quotation could have been done by a walker and directed towards pilgrims but with elections being held at the time it could also have been done by a local party enthusiast directed toward voters.
podemos.jpg

I just came across this on Goodreads. It seems too good not to share:

“Go outside. Don’t tell anyone and don’t bring your phone. Start walking and keep walking until you no longer know the road like the palm of your hand, because we walk the same roads day in and day out, to the bus and back home and we cease to see. We walk in our sleep and teach our muscles to work without thinking and I dare you to walk where you have not yet walked and I dare you to notice. Don’t try to get anything out of it, because you won’t. Don’t try to make use of it, because you can’t. And that’s the point. Just walk, see, sit down if you like. And be. Just be, whatever you are with whatever you have, and realise that that is enough to be happy.
There’s a whole world out there, right outside your window. You’d be a fool to miss it.”
- Charlotte Eriksson

And this one, which I am hoping will apply to me:

“My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the heck she is.”
― Ellen DeGeneres

"With a peter full of everything on my back, and a billy full of nothing at my hip, I set out from Inverness on All Fools Day in search of things that would never happen had I only gumption enough to bide at home."

Matt Marshall. 'The Travels of a Tramp Royal.' Published 1932.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Or my daughter's favourite after a very bad year: Don't sweat the small stuff.... and it is mostly small stuff.
This has helped me through lots of supposedly stressful situations,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just a few of my favorites:

I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

It’s not your job to like me. It’s mine.

Byron Katie

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"Life is a mystery to be lived, not a puzzle to be solved" - unknown

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I don't think so...it appears he walked the Frances and Finisterre-Muxia
but as we know, there is nothing worthwhile to see on the Primitivo, not even graffiti;)
shhhh....
Primitivo, keep the secret
Now I seem to remember that this is after Melide before you get to the beautiful Casa Verde where the shirts hang from the ceiling.

This is on the Primitivo?
As @Smallest_Sparrow wrote it was on the Camino Frances, somewhat before Salceda. I passed a number of other verses to Lennon's Imagine before snapping those two pictures. They all were farther apart than you would think.

Edit: This morning on a TV show I saw a sign inside a house with words that could fit the subject of this thread.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it is all about?

Last edited:
The other day, while taking a walk along our local beachfront, I saw this quote:

Quote at the beach.jpg

I thought "ouch" when I read it!

Cheers - Jenny

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back