• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Random thoughts upon returning from the Camino Frances.

joanneking

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP–Santiago (2012); SJPdP–Santiago, (2015); SJPdP–Logrono (2017); Logrono-Santiago (2018)
I just got back four days ago from my second camino. I have a few things to share:
September/October is an excellent time to go. Warm, sometimes hot but almost alway with a light, cooling breeze. Autumn leaves to rustle through, and ankle deep in chestnuts at times. Grapes still on the vines, farmers harvesting, ploughing. Bountiful gardens a feast for the eyes. Golden and glorious. On the days when it rained, and there were a few, it was not cold so not bad at all, and at times even funny to see everyone in the cafés dripping wet, and the proprietors good-naturedly accommodating us.
Bedbugs! I was bitten on two occasions, quite severely the first time with over 40 bites on my face and neck alone. I suggest getting well-educated on what the bites look like and feel like and how to deal with them. It took me four days to identify my bites and I did not get any help at the albergues which I will not name here. In the future, I would go equipped with everything needed to deal with them.
Litter! I have concluded after my most recent walk that anyone who litters is not a pilgrim. And I add to that, those who write or draw on or otherwise deface public and private property are not pilgrims either.
Cyclists and bike bells. In 2012, it seemed that cyclists almost always warned of their approach by ringing their bells, or calling out. This time, hardly any did, and some flew past in a quite dangerous manner. It was much talked about among the walkers, and many had stories of near misses. I witnessed two myself. What has happened in the past three years?
Be careful if you walk in the dark, especially when it is raining. I witnessed a walking companion come so close to being hit by a car that I'll be haunted forever by the sight of it. Just assume you cannot be seen, especially when it is raining. The incident I refer to was at the end of the day, so no one was prepared with their flashlights or headlamps as they would have been before dawn.
To end on a positive note, please reread my opening paragraph :)
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Joanne for your report. As requested, I reread the opening paragraph. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Last edited:
I just got back four days ago from my second camino. I have a few things to share:
September/October is an excellent time to go. Warm, sometimes hot but almost alway with a light, cooling breeze. Autumn leaves to rustle through, and ankle deep in chestnuts at times. Grapes still on the vines, farmers harvesting, ploughing. Bountiful gardens a feast for the eyes. Golden and glorious. On the days when it rained, and there were a few, it was not cold so not bad at all, and at times even funny to see everyone in the cafés dripping wet, and the proprietors good-naturedly accommodating us.
Bedbugs! I was bitten on two occasions, quite severely the first time with over 40 bites on my face and neck alone. I suggest getting well-educated on what the bites look like and feel like and how to deal with them. It took me four days to identify my bites and I did not get any help at the albergues which I will not name here. In the future, I would go equipped with everything needed to deal with them.
Litter! I have concluded after my most recent walk that anyone who litters is not a pilgrim. And I add to that, those who write or draw on or otherwise deface public and private property are not pilgrims either.
Cyclists and bike bells. In 2012, it seemed that cyclists almost always warned of their approach by ringing their bells, or calling out. This time, hardly any did, and some flew past in a quite dangerous manner. It was much talked about among the walkers, and many had stories of near misses. I witnessed two myself. What has happened in the past three years?
Be careful if you walk in the dark, especially when it is raining. I witnessed a walking companion come so close to being hit by a car that I'll be haunted forever by the sight of it. Just assume you cannot be seen, especially when it is raining. The incident I refer to was at the end of the day, so no one was prepared with their flashlights or headlamps as they would have been before dawn.
Buen Camino!
So so glad you enjoyed the Camino and agree with you wholeheartedly re the litter, graffiti,and cyclists. Why so called pilgrims can't take their litter with them is beyond me and I speak specifically about their toilet tissues. Urine is not a toxic substance last time I heard so why can't women just pocket their tissues and flush them down the toilet at the next cafe they visit? As for the cyclists! We've nearly hit the ditch a couple of times with some of them flying past. Not all of them of course to be fair.cant understand why people would want to write on other people's property either. Bed bug bites are dreadful and the bugs can be anywhere even in the nicest looking hotels or pensions. We always carry hydrocortisone cream if that misery befalls us--great to help with the itching. I am scratching even now at the thought and rememberance of the little darlings!!! Yes your first paragraph is so lovely. Best wishes Annette

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino!
Joan wrote a few of my post Camino reflections and experiences and, I too, just returned from walking the CF. I started from SJpdp on September 23 in a light rain. I had two other days with similar weather and one real 'soaker.' Once out of the mountains, I had splendid weather - at times, hot, but usually accompanied by the gentle winds she spoke of.
The last ten days meant starting out with 32F and by mid day, low to high 60's. Layer up - layer off!
- don't know the general conduct of cyclists before my Camino, but had too many fly by too close without warning! Rarely heard a bell!!!
And only heard a rare 'buen Camino' from any of them.
- agree with the litter issue! And I couldn't understand the amount of white t paper on the trail. Couldn't you step off???
- got eaten alive by bed bugs at the half way albergue! I was lazy and decided to use what looked like a big warm blanket instead of taking my down sleeping bag out of its sleeve. Thank god I packed Benadryl.
- I did not walk in the dark for the most part. I saw countless peregrinos set out with head lamps and wondered why!?
And finally, walking through the vineyards two days out from Logrono, was paradise. I saw the harvesting and was given a big cluster of warm grapes by a picker. I soon learned how to take a mouthful at a time - squeeze on the left side of my mouth and squirt the juice into my right side. Spit out the pits and take another mouthful. I must have consumed a gallon of grape juice walking that day and the next.
And finally again. When I sat at the pilgims' mass, I was filled with deep feelings - and could give little or no expression to what I was experiencing. That is still unfolding. But I took a video of the Botafumeiro at the conclusion and play it repeatedly. Those six men released that monstrous incense burner to swing back and forth at nearly 70mph and that is helping me understand my Camino.

just got back four days ago from my second camino. I have a few things to share:

Thanks for sharing.
Ultreya
Buen Camino

Joan wrote a few of my post Camino reflections and experiences and, I too, just returned from walking the CF. I started from SJpdp on September 23 in a light rain. I had two other days with similar weather and one real 'soaker.' Once out of the mountains, I had splendid weather - at times, hot, but usually accompanied by the gentle winds she spoke of.
The last ten days meant starting out with 32F and by mid day, low to high 60's. Layer up - layer off!
- don't know the general conduct of cyclists before my Camino, but had too many fly by too close without warning! Rarely heard a bell!!!
And only heard a rare 'buen Camino' from any of them.
- agree with the litter issue! And I couldn't understand the amount of white t paper on the trail. Couldn't you step off???
- got eaten alive by bed bugs at the half way albergue! I was lazy and decided to use what looked like a big warm blanket instead of taking my down sleeping bag out of its sleeve. Thank god I packed Benadryl.
- I did not walk in the dark for the most part. I saw countless peregrinos set out with head lamps and wondered why!?
And finally, walking through the vineyards two days out from Logrono, was paradise. I saw the harvesting and was given a big cluster of warm grapes by a picker. I soon learned how to take a mouthful at a time - squeeze on the left side of my mouth and squirt the juice into my right side. Spit out the pits and take another mouthful. I must have consumed a gallon of grape juice walking that day and the next.
And finally again. When I sat at the pilgims' mass, I was filled with deep feelings - and could give little or no expression to what I was experiencing. That is still unfolding. But I took a video of the Botafumeiro at the conclusion and play it repeatedly. Those six men released that monstrous incense burner to swing back and forth at nearly 70mph and that is helping me understand my Camino.
But the pits or pits are good for you! Roughage! Don't forget the hydrocortisone cream the next time! A long time since I heard that surname! My ancestors I think.Best wishes Annette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does anyone track the amount of bikes on various months? I had less than 15 my entire walk. Or at least what I took notice of. Only 1 time did a small group pass with no warning.

As someone who just got back from walking in October I walked in the dark most mornings for a while (with a headlamp as needed) because the sun wasn't up until 8:30 AM and I was ready to go at 6:30.

I saw so very many AMAZING sunrises, it is probably the thing that I miss the most. I've often heard people say you are missing the scenery in the dark and I like to remind them that it is just DIFFERENT scenery :)

I'm glad you had an enjoyable camino!!!! I did also :)

Buen Camino!
Hi Joanne, I have to agree with you regarding the litter and the very serious defacing of just about every public sign in Spain! Sometime it was hard to find the yellow arrows there was so much graffiti. And I just got tired of "so and so was here" stuff. But on the other side, those very nice and welcoming bar owners were so accommodating even though we were dripping all over there floors, were the best! Real havens in the storm for sure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So so glad you enjoyed the Camino and agree with you wholeheartedly re the litter, graffiti,and cyclists. Why so called pilgrims can't take their litter with them is beyond me and I speak specifically about their toilet tissues. Urine is not a toxic substance last time I heard so why can't women just pocket their tissues and flush them down the toilet at the next cafe they visit? As for the cyclists! We've nearly hit the ditch a couple of times with some of them flying past. Not all of them of course to be fair.cant understand why people would want to write on other people's property either. Bed bug bites are dreadful and the bugs can be anywhere even in the nicest looking hotels or pensions. We always carry hydrocortisone cream if that misery befalls us--great to help with the itching. I am scratching even now at the thought and rememberance of the little darlings!!! Yes your first paragraph is so lovely. Best wishes Annette

Thanks, Annette. You are right about the bedbugs, they can be in the nicest of places. The second time I was bitten was in a beautiful, spotless private albergue in Villafranca. They provided spotless white sheets and pillowcases so I did not use my sleeping bag. During the night I awoke to horrendous itching on my neck. I picked up my phone to check the time and by its light saw something scurrying over the pillowcase. I smacked it and sure enough there was my blood (and thedead bug) on the pillow. I felt terrible breaking the news to the owner in the morning. She kept saying how much she cleans and cleans and I assured her that I could see that the place was immaculate. I left an excellent review in their guestbook. It truly was a beautiful place.

Hi Joanne, I have to agree with you regarding the litter and the very serious defacing of just about every public sign in Spain! Sometime it was hard to find the yellow arrows there was so much graffiti. And I just got tired of "so and so was here" stuff. But on the other side, those very nice and welcoming bar owners were so accommodating even though we were dripping all over there floors, were the best! Real havens in the storm for sure.

Thanks, Julie. I kept wondering while I was walking what more could be done to educate people about litter and graffiti. Like before people receive their passport maybe they need to sign some kind of commitment to tread lightly. Ironically, there were a couple of times when I didn't see a yellow arrow for a while so I used the presence of litter as my assurance that I was going the right way. :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Joanne, I'm walking next year in Sept/Oct so it was great to read your comments at the start, not so much though about the bed bugs. I'm allergic to them and was contemplating treating my pack and sleeping bag before I go. Based on your comments I'm definitely treating everything I came before I go.
Buen Camino
Terri

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Joanne, I'm walking next year in Sept/Oct so it was great to read your comments at the start, not so much though about the bed bugs. I'm allergic to them and was contemplating treating my pack and sleeping bag before I go. Based on your comments I'm definitely treating everything I came before I go.
Buen Camino
Terri
Hi Terri, I was reluctant to treat my things before going on the Camino as I was worried about exposure to the chemicals. In hindsight, and in the future, I would take all precautions to avoid the bites. I think you will really enjoy walking the Camino in the fall, it is a lovely time to be there. Buen camino!

Buen Camino
Terri
Go for it Terri, I will also be walking in Sept. 2016 but I am starting in Valencia, I know after two walks on the CF you will have a good time. My advice that was given to me was "have no expectations and you will have no disappointments". Just finished my first Camino photo book and I realised I could do another 10 with all the memories. Buen Camino. If you need any help or you are not sure just give me a return mail. Trevor

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We also just finished our first Camino Nov 4 in Santiago. I agree that it was a perfect time to walk. I didn't like the dark mornings - we actually mistook a cow for a large rock, until it moved. I like to see what I am passing!

And we did treat our sleeping bags and packs with some awful chemical to prevent bedbugs. We didn't get any bites though we shared albergues with others who were bitten. So maybe it worked.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back