• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(rant) 100% mentally ready and not prepared in the least bit.

michael heitzman

^^^That's me
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago (June 2016)
I leave for my first Camino on the 31st of May, about two weeks from this post. I was ready to hit the road last month, just up and vanish, leaving everything I hold dear and detest behind me. As far as being prepared I'm not. I have my plane tickets, my pack with everything I'll be needing along the route, my hiking boots are broken in and ready to be put to the test, and that's about it. The small amount of French I was supposed to learn, I never did. The Spanish I said I was going to get under my belt didn't work. The train tickets, itinerary, accommodations I should be booking haven't happened yet. All my clothes are cotton. Don't have walking poles. Never got a camera. Not bringing a sleeping pad. I'm dragging, I'm procrastinating. A part me of wants to do it the comfortable, relaxed, responsible way because that's what people suggest. But I just want to wing it.

I don't want to be tied down with what town I need to stay in, whether I'll have a bed to sleep on, a hot meal at the end of the night. I want to be humbled by this. I want to help strangers. I want to be at the mercy of others in a foreign land. Is that mental? My whole life I've been on a schedule, managing my time, managing others, serving patrons, appeasing all, wanting to be appeased, lived comfortably. I'm tired of it. I just want to wake up in Le Puy tomorrow and just head out.

Will I regret this mindset? I know to each their own, but have other people just gone and done it without much consideration and hated it? Loved it? Do it differently?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I felt the same as you just before I set off last year! But as SY said, as soon as I started putting one foot in front of the other all the worries left and I enjoyed every moment. I didn't plan either, it was fantastic!

Buen Camino
Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think your idea of the Camino is perfect. Its like letting the camino come to you. This should be the most freeing thing you have ever done. The camino will provide what you need. As long as you can carry water, and your credencial, you don't need much else. What you find you may need, you can get there. I envy you. Buen camino

I love that mindset. I packed my pack with what I needed, got myself to SJPdP, and started walking West. I did have reservations for the first night but that was it. No map, no phone, no plan except to accept what was given to me and to give back at every opportunity. My only other plan was to stop walking when the water got up to my neck which happened in Muxia. The only thing I did differently was to study Spanish for a year. This was not necessary but it made me happy and helped me interact with a few more of the locals. I had the time of my life and I'm sure you will too.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I leave for my first Camino on the 31st of May, about two weeks from this post. I was ready to hit the road last month, just up and vanish, leaving everything I hold dear and detest behind me. As far as being prepared I'm not. I have my plane tickets, my pack with everything I'll be needing along the route, my hiking boots are broken in and ready to be put to the test, and that's about it. The small amount of French I was supposed to learn, I never did. The Spanish I said I was going to get under my belt didn't work. The train tickets, itinerary, accommodations I should be booking haven't happened yet. All my clothes are cotton. Don't have walking poles. Never got a camera. Not bringing a sleeping pad. I'm dragging, I'm procrastinating. A part me of wants to do it the comfortable, relaxed, responsible way because that's what people suggest. But I just want to wing it.

I don't want to be tied down with what town I need to stay in, whether I'll have a bed to sleep on, a hot meal at the end of the night. I want to be humbled by this. I want to help strangers. I want to be at the mercy of others in a foreign land. Is that mental? My whole life I've been on a schedule, managing my time, managing others, serving patrons, appeasing all, wanting to be appeased, lived comfortably. I'm tired of it. I just want to wake up in Le Puy tomorrow and just head out.

Will I regret this mindset? I know to each their own, but have other people just gone and done it without much consideration and hated it? Loved it? Do it differently?
Did it the same, a week before bought my ticket one way. Last two days put together my backpack. No clue I had abt the daily routes. And no idea where from fly home. I took with me only the essentials. Landed in Porto and without going back to Porto city I just started.

And so far everything perfect, totally easy and chilling.

I believe that approach keeps expectations low if not to be said at level zero- and whatever then comes along is simply awesome!

All this meticulousness planing of where to sleep and rest and have ur coffee- well all that changes anyway! So why invest in that.

Will do it again the same way.

Enjoy

Michael, I read you post with humility. You are indeed a contrarian and, you know what, you may just have the best experience of your life. I fly to Madrid in five days to start my Camino in Astorga. Remember the "Spirit of the Camino" - Live in the moment; Welcome each day - its pleasures and its challenges; Make others feel welcome; Share; Feel the spirit of those who have gone before you; Imagine those who will follow you; Appreciate those who walk with you today. Buen camino, mi amigo.

You're fine.
Don't need a sleeping pad.
Poles are quite optional.
Most phones take decent photos.
Ditch any other "maybe" items.
Lots of stores along the way should you decide you need/want something.

One of my traveling companions decided to do the Camino a week before he set foot on the Way, threw some stuff he had in a backpack and didn't need or buy a thing.

I made only one reservation (Orisson) in three Caminos. I prefer it that way. Worked out just fine.

Wing it and enjoy.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Beginning in Le Puy is not like beginning in SJPP or anywhere else on the Frances. It is far more customary to call ahead and make reservations - but you need to know what the next location is before a call can be made or before anyone can assist you, which they will be happy to do. At least get a list of the places you can stay to bring with you on your phone, ipad, etc. Still can wing it, but have some information with you will make it that much more enjoyable.

Once you get to SJPP it is smooth sailing.

Bon Chemin,

You're leaving Le Puy after the assorted collection of May holidays, and you are traveling alone. So you may luck out with the availability of beds, as June is rather lightly traveled. Meals at demipension gites may be a different matter, though. The French won't have a meal ready for you if you don't have a reservation. Just be prepared.

You're leaving Le Puy after the assorted collection of May holidays, and you are traveling alone. So you may luck out with the availability of beds, as June is rather lightly traveled. Meals at demipension gites may be a different matter, though. The French won't have a meal ready for you if you don't have a reservation. Just be prepared.

Thank you neighbor up north,

Even though I mentioned getting a hot meal isn't a priority, it kind of is for me. I'm a total glutton and know nothing of French cuisine. I've never had a bad home cooked meal and from what I've read throughout the posts, I need that French cuisine in my belly. I guess if I have to make reservations for food along the Le Puy route I might as well get a bed out of it too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

You will not regret anything I have no plan except to just get there and start walking I've no plans where I will be sleeping each night where/if I will even eat a decent meal but I'm not worried they say the Camino provides so I'm trusting in that. Only thing you should do is get quick dry/ wicking gear cotton kit is really no good for hiking you will sweat and your clothes will be wet and when you stop to rest you will get chilled. Buen Camino.

On my first camino, I flew one way to Paris with a nebulous idea of heading to SJPP. At a bookstore, I found a Miam Miam Dodo guide for the Le Puy trail and changed my plan. It was July 2012. I booked nothing ahead and never had a problem with getting food or a bed. I had to 'settle' for soup once, but I was happy to have it.

Carry some food supplies on that trail as there are few shops in the little places and therefore no lunch unless you haul it.

I hope you won't regret it, that's what we are doing this Saturday .Feeling the freedom to dream and think is what we all need.....just go without worry and expectations and see what the trip delivers to you .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I can't think of anything you have missed. Doris Day sang "Que Sera Sera, What will be will be" if anyone expects more than to be surprised, they are not ready. Maybe reconsider the cotton or bring more clothes in case the first batch of cotton isn't dry. I bought the lightest high tech confy sleeping pad and never took it off the pack. So that part you have covered.
"Que sera sera, Go"...............Ultreya.............. Willy/Utah/USA

You will not regret anything I have no plan except to just get there and start walking I've no plans where I will be sleeping each night where/if I will even eat a decent meal but I'm not worried they say the Camino provides so I'm trusting in that. Only thing you should do is get quick dry/ wicking gear cotton kit is really no good for hiking you will sweat and your clothes will be wet and when you stop to rest you will get chilled. Buen Camino.

I can't think of anything you have missed. Doris Day sang "Que Sera Sera, What will be will be" if anyone expects more than to be surprised, they are not ready. Maybe reconsider the cotton or bring more clothes in case the first batch of cotton isn't dry. I bought the lightest high tech confy sleeping pad and never took it off the pack. So that part you have covered.
"Que sera sera, Go"...............Ultreya.............. Willy/Utah/USA
I appreciate the concern for fancy clothes. I've pretty much spent my limit on gear and have already set aside some jeans and t-shirts. When it gets too hot it's not uncommon to cut them jeans off at the knees and call them "Jorts". Don't worry about me, I've been sweating my whole life, I'm used to it.

I would venture to say that most people on the Camino don't plan nearly as much as it seems from reading message boards and other stuff online. Lots of people just go. And lots of people wear cotton. It will be fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't tell anyone you're wearing cotton. :(

I am so resisting to get into whole cotton debate yet again. I.am.sitting.on.my.fingers.I.will.not type.my.opinion.about.cotton.I.can.resisist.I.can...

Failed again :( Cotton is ok to wear in dry, warm/hot weather but it can be life threatening in wet-cold-windy weather.

Sorry, failed again. Carry on and Buen Camino, SY

Don't tell anyone you're wearing cotton. :(
I know, the secret is out. Oh how did our ancestors ever make the journey without their 80% merino wool/ 20% synthetic clothing?

I am so resisting to get into whole cotton debate yet again. I.am.sitting.on.my.fingers.I.will.not type.my.opinion.about.cotton.I.can.resisist.I.can...

Failed again :( Cotton is ok to wear in dry, warm/hot weather but it can be life threatening in wet-cold-windy weather.

Sorry, failed again. Carry on and Buen Camino, SY

It's all good. I understand how being caught in the cold overnight can be life threatening but I imagine the infrastructure on the Camino will probably prevent my demise. I just can't justify spending all that money on clothes that dry quickly and don't smell. I can do it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I imagine the infrastructure on the Camino will probably prevent my demise.

Yeah, I think you are right ;) You are walking in June, which means that for the most part, it will be warm or warmish. Over the Pyrenees you could have some cold weather and a couple other places - watch the forecast. Once you get to Galicia, it will probably rain on you. You're from Portland though - you know what to do in the rain. I imagine that you have a rain jacket and some kind of fleece sweatshirt (or similar warm layer) so you can layer up. Unless you somehow get soaked to the bone, I don't see hypothermia being much of a danger. And if you do get soaked to the bone, you can pack it in for the day - stay in the very next town and dry out, get a taxi to come pick you up or take a bus to shelter.

Yeah, I think you are right ;) You are walking in June, which means that for the most part, it will be warm or warmish. Over the Pyrenees you could have some cold weather and a couple other places - watch the forecast. Once you get to Galicia, it will probably rain on you. You're from Portland though - you know what to do in the rain. I imagine that you have a rain jacket and some kind of fleece sweatshirt (or similar warm layer) so you can layer up. Unless you somehow get soaked to the bone, I don't see hypothermia being much of a danger. And if you do get soaked to the bone, you can pack it in for the day - stay in the very next town and dry out, get a taxi to come pick you up or take a bus to shelter.
I can only hope that it stays only warmish. Around here we call 50 degrees farenheit (10c) t-shirt weather. Anything over 70 and I might melt. No sweater, just a "cotton" jacket. From what I've read maybe I'll probably find some on the way if I really need it. Can I borrow yours?

I would recommend having some sort of waterproof outer layer if at all possible - the outdoor stores should have rain jackets on their clearance racks right now, so you can probably find one cheap. Or check the thrift stores. You might luck out and find a good jacket that someone donated when they did their spring cleaning. At the very least, get a decent poncho.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm finding great solace reading that adventure exists on these caminos...for me, personally, my life has been too well planned out. And now, looking back, I remember that I actually had wanted to adventure, experience, discover, and be surprised and amazed by what the world has to offer. I just never did any of it because I had plans....

So, kudos for those who have that spirit of adventure, and minimal plans! I'm joining you.

If you have decided to go- go, if you have time to change cotton to something quick drying and light - do that, apart of that - put your boots on the road and remember the feeling but don't forget it is the road so it has its demands..
Buen Camino

Michael wrote: "I know, the secret is out. Oh how did our ancestors ever make the journey without their 80% merino wool/ 20% synthetic clothing?"

A lot of them died along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back