• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rate my packing list!

Worldwithamy

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
Last 100KM ish of Portuguese way (haven’t decided coastal or regular). June/July timeframe. I would like to pack as little as possible as I am thinking to carry everything on me for the entire walk.

Please offer any suggestions on things I get leave or things I must add. For example, not sure on sleeping liner bag. Is there a way to avoid that? Ie. sleep at better accommodations?

Wearing: Salomon’s, sports bra, shirt, leggings, socks.

Bringing:
- 26L pack (haven’t decided which one to purchase)
- sleeping bag liner
- pillowcase
- sandals
- 2 pairs of socks
- biker Shorts
- 1 extra shirt
- light Patagonia jacket
- 1 light thin rain jacket
- 1 hat
- underwear x5
- toiletries (teeth, face, skin stuff)
- empty plastic bags for separation
- wallet, phone, keys
- laptop and charger

Added:
- water bottle

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, yes if you stay in Hostales, Hotels and Casa Rurales you won’t need the liner or the pillow case. Unless you have online work to do you won’t need the laptop either just use a ‘phone.

I like to take some underpants though I’m aware the Hibernians probably wouldn’t bother. Oh, and a corkscrew. The Spanish don’t do screwtops

Last 100KM ish of Portuguese way (haven’t decided coastal or regular). June/July timeframe. I would like to pack as little as possible as I am thinking to carry everything on me for the entire walk.

Please offer any suggestions on things I get leave or things I must add. For example, not sure on sleeping liner bag. Is there a way to avoid that? Ie. sleep at better accommodations?

Bringing:
- sleeping bag liner
- pillowcase
- sandals
- 2 pairs of socks
- biker Shorts
- 1 extra shirt
- light Patagonia jacket
- 1 hat
- wallet, phone, keys
- laptop and charger
Other things to think about: hydration, first aid, medical.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, yes if you stay in Hostales, Hotels and Casa Rurales you won’t need the liner or the pillow case. Unless you have online work to do you won’t need the laptop either just use a ‘phone.

I like to take some underpants though I’m aware the Hibernians probably wouldn’t bother. Oh, and a corkscrew. The Spanish don’t do screwtops
What about for the Albergues? At June/July temperatures should I bother with the liner if some provide blankets I hear? Is it also maybe a hygiene thing? Could I benefit from bringing a sarong or linen multi-use towel instead?

Unfortunately I do have to work a bit before/after the walk as I could not take all the time off :(

In June/July you may suffocate in leggings. I’d go with 2 pairs of shorts (but not cycling shorts unless you’re cycling). 2 shirts, 2 bras, 2 panties (not 5), 2 socks. Wash a set, wear a set, repeat. One jacket, not two. Albergues may or may not have blankets and you’ll want a thin covering so a liner is perfect. Minimal first aid kit and toiletries for that distance, and availability of all of those things in pharmacies. Sunscreen. Money belt or similar to keep passport, $, cards on you at all times. If you need to be on a laptop for work, private rooms would likely make you and any potential albergue roommate happier.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In June/July you may suffocate in leggings. I’d go with 2 pairs of shorts (but not cycling shorts unless you’re cycling). 2 shirts, 2 bras, 2 panties (not 5), 2 socks. Wash a set, wear a set, repeat. One jacket, not two. Albergues may or may not have blankets and you’ll want a thin covering so a liner is perfect. Minimal first aid kit and toiletries for that distance, and availability of all of those things in pharmacies. Sunscreen. Money belt or similar to keep passport, $, cards on you at all times. If you need to be on a laptop for work, private rooms would likely make you and any potential albergue roommate happier.
Thank you! Any reason against biker shorts? I just find the spandex (knee length) shorts comfier?

( also haha to be clear, I would work before I start my journey, or after it was over. No working on the pilgrimage - that would be a bummer and kill vibe! But also after thinking about it, I’m just going to take a shorter vacation and leave the laptop at home and not work at all! )

Not working at all while walking a Camino sounds perfect! 😀 When I think of cycling shorts, I am referring to the ones with the padded butt. The ones that are thicker, heavier, and feel like you are wearing a diaper...you know the ones! The ones without the padding would be perfect. Buen Camino. Oops, you are doing Portuguese, so Bom Caminho (I think). Enjoy, fellow Canuck! 🇨🇦

Last edited:
( also haha to be clear, I would work before I start my journey, or after it was over. No working on the pilgrimage - that would be a bummer and kill vibe! But also after thinking about it, I’m just going to take a shorter vacation and leave the laptop at home and not work at all! )
… And if you find you have to bring the laptop to work with you can ship it ahead to Santiago. Casa Ivar ( Who runs this site) has a warehouse where he holds luggage, etc.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not plastic bags, they make sooo much noise. Get some small mesh bags, like they use for veggies at the store or for laundry.
One jacket is enough. Make it the rain jacket or get a poncho.

What about for the Albergues? At June/July temperatures should I bother with the liner if some provide blankets I hear? Is it also maybe a hygiene thing? Could I benefit from bringing a sarong or linen multi-use towel instead?

Unfortunately I do have to work a bit before/after the walk as I could not take all the time off :(
I would not use the blankets in the albergue without something between you and the blankets. A silk liner would probably be sufficient when you are walking. Of course that depends on your cold tolerance. But I never walk this time of year because it is too hot for me. I am not a woman so I can't say how much underwear but 5 seems to be excessive especially if you have quick dry ones that you can wash when you arrive at the albergue. If you want to light rain jacket you need some kind of backpack cover in case of rain. If you want a light jacket than you should switch out the rain jacket and backpack cover for a light poncho. I would not take plastic bags for separate things. They are very noisy and can disturb others if you need to use them or put them away at night or in the morning. I use small, mesh laundry bags. You can buy packs of 3 or so. They work great. I would get some zip lock bags that you can use if nature calls when you are walking. I use baby wipes. They are great for that and also for cleaning up as I often eat lunch sitting on a rock, stone wall or under a tree. You can wash the bags out if they are just with food etc and reuse them. You will need sunscreen, a few band aids and a needle, antiseptic for a blister and Ibuprofen. If you do not intend to walk in your sandals get some Toms as they are super light and do great charitable work. Why do you need a laptop? If you are not working while you walk wouldn't you want to relax, go to the bar and talk with other pilgrims, share dinner or a communal meal? The camino has two parts to it. The personal inner journey and your journey to meet and experience the world. You can't do that looking into a computer screen and it is alot of weight. I walked 2 caminos totaling almost 2,500k and I didn't even have a flip phone and they were fantastic.

Bringing:
- sleeping bag liner
- pillowcase
- sandals
- 2 pairs of socks
- biker Shorts
- 1 extra shirt
- light Patagonia jacket
- 1 hat
- underwear x5
- wallet, phone, keys
- laptop and charger

Added:
- water bottle
I recommend two half-liter disposable water bottles-very light. Why take keys? Only 2 underwear and 2 pairs socks total. Wrap a meter of duct tape around trekking pole or pen. That and VERY small repacked tube of bacitracin and VERY small repack bottle of isopropyl is my first aid kit. Some safety pins, length of parachute cord or masons line. Sun glasses. Money belt, not a wallet which is easily lost/separated from you. I use one small dry bag for all of my spare clothes and sleeping gear. Plastic ziplocks for separation of toiletries and sundries-they don't make much noise, but if you stay in hotels to avoid taking sleep liner and pillow case, who cares.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Bringing:
- sleeping bag liner
- pillowcase
- sandals
- 2 pairs of socks
- biker Shorts
- 1 extra shirt
- light Patagonia jacket
- 1 hat
- underwear x5
- wallet, phone, keys
- laptop and charger

Added:
- water bottle
3 pairs of socks, you can get rainy days. 1 x Lightweight quick dry zip-off trousers = Multipurpose, sun protection if you get your legs sunburnt.
Micro 1st Aid kit with extra blister plasters = Even your most comfortable broken-in boots/shoes can “bite” when you least expect it.

Liner for sure!!! Yes, for cleanliness. I have one that has a pocket for the Albergue pillows!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Bringing:
- sleeping bag liner
- pillowcase
- sandals
- 2 pairs of socks
- biker Shorts
- 1 extra shirt
- light Patagonia jacket
- 1 hat
- underwear x5
- wallet, phone, keys
- laptop and charger

Added:
- water bottle
A light poncho covering backpack is preferable

A water bladder - ease of sipping and flexible volume without weight penalty

Technical sandals

Custom inlay soles in shoes

Around 35 ltr min

Ultreia 🙏🏼

I found Rob’s Video really useful when packing - you can leave out the sleeping bag although when I walked the Portuese from Lisbon starting late May I found I needed a sleeping bag a few nights after Porto in municipal albergues with no blankets.

I'll give you a 9.8 😀
I love the pillow case, hate the paper ones
Not 5 underwear, 2 plenty, 3 if you must.
Add toe lube.
Pack liner keeps important stuff dry! Who cares if the pack gets wet.
The 2 light jackets (rain/patagonia) let's you layer if necessary.
They are over- preparing you for 100k.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pack size is a common cause of dispute in the forum - but a bit too big is fine, too small can be a problem so maybe a 30 lt (you'll have room for a packed lunch then. I carry a small tupperware box for that). Best idea was to leave the laptop behind, especially as you weren't going to use it anyway. Towel/sarong? Figure you can wash and dry clothes ever day so 5 pairs of undies not needed. Little torch to find things in the dark might be handy, but otherwise, if you need it, you can buy it. I reckon you're good to go. Buen camino.

Please no disposable bottles. We have had this discussion before. If every pilgrim bought 2 bottles, it would be close to a million plastic bottles. The number that are recycled is minimal.
Get some metal bottles. Your water stays cool, tastes better and you can use them for years.

Please no disposable bottles. We have had this discussion before. If every pilgrim bought 2 bottles, it would be close to a million plastic bottles. The number that are recycled is minimal.
Get some metal bottles. Your water stays cool, tastes better and you can use them for years.
I disagree with this. If the issue is that they become litter, then address that, and either dispose of them properly when you have finished with them, or reuse them yourself until that is no longer possible. The enormous cost differential between a plastic bottle and a metal one indicates the latter is using vastly more of the earth's valuable resources, and might indeed be a far worse proposition for our environment if the problem of litter could be resolved.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is not about them becoming litter. It is about the transport costs, both going to the store for sale and after to recycle them, plus the storage of all those disposables, the theft of water from communities (look up Nestle) to fill those bottles for sale, and the fact that water in a disposable bottle leaches chemicals.
The entire plastic bottle industry is horrible. Check some facts. My 115gr. metal bottle may last for decades and is 100% recyclable. That plastic bottle isn't and is ending up in our bodies and our foods.
Sorry, will leave this discussion now as I caused it to go off track, but it really makes me sad that people dismiss the use of disposable bottles so easily.

Last edited:
It is not about them becoming litter. It is about the transport costs, both going to the store for sale and after to recycle them, plus the storage of all those disposables, the theft of water from communities to fill those bottles for sale, and the fact that water in a disposable bottle leaches chemicals.
The entire plastic bottle industry is horrible. Check some facts. My metal bottle may last for decades and is 100% recyclable. That plastic bottle isn't and is ending up in our bodies and our foods.
Sorry, will leave this discussion now as I caused it to go off track, but it really makes me sad that people dismiss the use of disposable bottles so easily.
What a misleading post!

a. Where is water stolen from communities? I can't say it doesn't occur, but I understand most water extraction is licenced.
b. transport costs - if you are reusing a plastic bottle, these can be completely avoided. Fill the empty bottle with tap water. Yes, there are water services that provide an in-store refilling service, but one isn't compelled to use these.
c. your metal water bottle is 100% recyclable - that is rubbish. Most metal water bottles are finished with some form of coating, whether applied as a liquid or powder coated. These are polymers or thermo-setting plastics, although I understand there are other types of coating applied both to the outside and inside of some bottles, particularly those made from aluminium. Stainless steel vacuum bottles may not have a coating inside, but most are powder coated or have some other external decorative treatment. If that has rubbed off over the years and exposed the bare metal, that is another plastic that has entered the environment in some quite uncontrolled manner.

Most plastic bottles are equally capable of being recycled. If they are disposed of properly, they re-enter the resource stream and can be reused. While there are issues with using plastic, the problem is that they are too easily thrown away, and end up as litter, not as a reusable resource.

d. chemical leaching - yes, BPA can leach, but since most single use plastic bottles use some other form of high or low density plastic, I don't see that as the issue it might once have been.

I think it is a worthy cause to find alternatives to the massive amount of plastics we do use, but lets not make unsustainable claims about the 'benefits' of metal bottles.

Last edited:
Some very good advice already in this thread. I'm a bit obsessive about what I carry and weigh everything in my pack. If I'm buying new kit, This website is helpful, as they weigh everything too: https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/

If you're packing small, a drybag inside the pack help compress soft stuff as well as keeping things dry. I use a very comfortable and light 20 litre Osprey but it's a bit of a squeeze. If buying new for a camino I'd get 26 or 30 litres.

Your list doesn't include a towel. There are many threads on this forum discussing towels.: the lightest and most compact I found was the Sea to Summit Airlight - 74 gm in XL size (though I wouldn't call 21x52 inches extra large!)

Some people sleep in the clothes they're going to wear the next day. If you prefer something else the lightest fabrics are fine lawn or silk. T shirt fabric, which is nice to wear, tends to weigh heavy.

You'll need some kind of small pouch or waist pack for when you're not walking and so you can keep valuables with you at all times. You might want to take earplugs, and an eye shade. I found I didn't need a torch, spork, washing line, pegs or tape. It's often the small things that add up in weight - toiletries, notebook, pen, keys, nail clippers, purse, chargers, pouches etc. One bar of soap can do for body, laundry and hair. I bought a compact European USB charger, which weighs 20 gm.

The lightest way to carry water is in the small plastic bottles you can buy it in. I kept mine for the whole trip, but it would have been more sustainable to have brought the heavier plastic waterbottle which I normally use walking at home

Whether you need a pillowcase is debatable. In 28 days only one albergue didn't provide a pillowcase. I tried to use my towel as a cover, but it slipped off. A rolled up fleece worked fine as a pillow instead. Spanish pillows are long and narrow: pillowcases are about 36x16 inches.

I hope this is some help and that you have a great camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is not about them becoming litter. It is about the transport costs, both going to the store for sale and after to recycle them, plus the storage of all those disposables, the theft of water from communities to fill those bottles for sale, and the fact that water in a disposable bottle leaches chemicals.
The entire plastic bottle industry is horrible. Check some facts. My metal bottle may last for decades and is 100% recyclable. That plastic bottle isn't and is ending up in our bodies and our foods.
I agree with dougfitz regarding the heavy metal bottles. Also, I bet 99% of pilgrims buy many more than 2 of the plastic disposable water bottles on the trek. Actually, I have seen many who buy the water, fill their heavy plastic container, bladder or metal bottle, and then throw away the plastic disposable ones. I personally recycle my 2 small bottles for 2-3 weeks before they become unusable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm STILL carrying a 1 liter disposable "Life Water" bottle from 2018 on my Appalachian Trail trip right now! That's 5 years with a bottle 1/4 the weight of a Nalgene 1 liter bottle or even less than a metal bottle. Water filters fit many of the "disposable" bottles, not the metal or heavy plastic. You don't have to toss them.
Litter is a completely different subject.

Definitely take the sleeping bag liner - the one I have weighs nothing and takes up a tiny amount of space, it also has a sewn in pillow bit so you don't need a pillow case.

I'd also second the metal water bottle suggestion - it keeps water cool, allows you to fill up at fountains as you pass through villages and is better for the planet in the long run. Water bladders get warm very quickly so are best avoided especially in the summer months.

I'd also add in a small canvas bag or similar (I have a tiny foldable rucksack) so you can take things with you to the shower / outside the albergue without taking your full pack with you.

For handwashing clothes a little bottle of detergent is helpful - I bought a set of the empty travel bottles and just filled one with detergent from home. It's tricky to get in Portugal/Spain without buying a huge bottle!

Good luck and enjoy your Camino!

What a misleading post!

a. Where is water stolen from communities? I can't say it doesn't occur, but I understand most water extraction is licenced.
b. transport costs - if you are reusing a plastic bottle, these can be completely avoided. Fill the empty bottle with tap water. Yes, there are water services that provide an in-store refilling service, but one isn't compelled to use these.
c. your metal water bottle is 100% recyclable - that is rubbish. Most metal water bottles are finished with some form of coating, whether applied as a liquid or powder coated. These are polymers or thermo-setting plastics, although I understand there are other types of coating applied both to the outside and inside of some bottles, particularly those made from aluminium. Stainless steel vacuum bottles may not have a coating inside, but most are powder coated or have some other external decorative treatment. If that has rubbed off over the years and exposed the bare metal, that is another plastic that has entered the environment in some quite uncontrolled manner.

Most plastic bottles are equally capable of being recycled. If they are disposed of properly, they re-enter the resource stream and can be reused. While there are issues with using plastic, the problem is that they are too easily thrown away, and end up as litter, not as a reusable resource.

d. chemical leaching - yes, BPA can leach, but since most single use plastic bottles use some other form of high or low density plastic, I don't see that as the issue it might once have been.

I think it is a worthy cause to find alternatives to the massive amount of plastics we do use, but lets not make unsustainable claims about the 'benefits' of metal bottles.
May I politely add an
e) metal in nature remains in the soil and can harm grazing animals. Cases in several countries were razor-sharp pieces of metal have been found during autopsies of sheep and cows. They usually originate from soda cans thrown out of car windows or the areas have been used for other purposes before. Bring high-quality plastic bottles that can be used for years before delivering it for circulation at the manufacturer's home country. Put in a cleansing tablet and use tap water (that's my plan this time, don't want to buy more plastic bottles abroad).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.