• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rates and reservations, 2 warnings - July 2021

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Next week I'll be walking a few stages on the Camino Francés (lucky me), from Roncesvalles to Logroño. As albergues are allowed to a very limited capacity (as low as 30% I believe) I decided it could be a wise idea to reserve ahead.

Well... that seems a wise idea indeed... It was quite complicated to make reservations for next week. Albergues are either not open, fully booked or not responding. And even the muni's seem to advocate booking ahead. I had to change my schedule a bit and I am now finally set, but this could be a warning to other (future) pilgrims. This doesn't seem to be the year to wing it.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, and maybe another warning: your camino could be more expensive this year than you were used to. The prices of the beds I booked ranged from €10 till €20, and most of them in the upper range.

Some muni's and donativo albergues might not be open yet and I think that quite some private albergues raised their rates because of the low number of pilgrims they are allowed to have. Totally understandable, especially after the very hard times they have already been through, but it is good to realise that you might need a bit bigger budget than usual.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I've been having the same experience as Luka when planning my outing for the Camino Aragonese. Making reservations has been way more time consuming than previously. I find this post an interesting contrast to an earlier one today saying that the Camino badly needs pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I just read that post. Of course the albergues need income, but their capacity is still limited and some are still closed. So the Camino can handle less pilgrims than in a normal year. And I guess that July and August won't be that quiet after all. Tourism here in Asturias is booming already.

There may already be another thread about this, but I couldn't find it. Next week I'll be walking a few stages on the Camino Francés (lucky me), from Roncesvalles to Logroño. As albergues are allowed to a very limited capacity (as low as 30% I believe) I decided it could be a wise idea to reserve ahead.

Well... that seems a wise idea indeed... It was quite complicated to make reservations for next week. Albergues are either not open, fully booked or not responding. And even the muni's seem to advocate booking ahead. I had to change my schedule a bit and I am now finally set, but this could be a warning to other (future) pilgrims. This doesn't seem to be the year to wing it.
Or....the year with the greatest challenges and adventures. Certainly, it will be a year where a greater proficiency in Español would reap great rewards.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I've been having the same experience as Luka when planning my outing for the Camino Aragonese. Making reservations has been way more time consuming than previously. I find this post an interesting contrast to an earlier one today saying that the Camino badly needs pilgrims.
Thanks for this update. I'll be walking the Aragones ("backwards" from Puenta la Reina to Somport) in September so I'd appreciate your sharing any info you have on specific albergues in terms of opening, capacity, prices, ability to reserve, etc.

I hope things improve. I'm scheduled to start from Tui on Friday the 13th. Last time I booked ahead because it was Sarria to SC. I really yearn to not book though. I'm from a family of nervous people and now that is just me and my brave daughter I wanted to know the feeling of winging it. Stopping when we want to not because of a predetermined booking. I'm torn.

I hope things improve. I'm scheduled to start from Tui on Friday the 13th. Last time I booked ahead because it was Sarria to SC. I really yearn to not book though. I'm from a family of nervous people and now that is just me and my brave daughter I wanted to know the feeling of winging it. Stopping when we want to not because of a predetermined booking. I'm torn.
Just do what your heart/gut/intuition tell you and you will be great, absolutely no need to worry. ¡Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Next week I'll be walking a few stages on the Camino Francés (lucky me), from Roncesvalles to Logroño. As albergues are allowed to a very limited capacity (as low as 30% I believe) I decided it could be a wise idea to reserve ahead.

I’m on the Camino now. The Frances. I’m currently in Viana. I’m not booking and I’m not having any problems. The albergues are at 50% or so. Basically the top bunks are not being used, unless there a couple or related group.

I’m on the Camino now. The Frances. I’m currently in Viana. I’m not booking and I’m not having any problems. The albergues are at 50% or so. Basically the top bunks are not being used, unless there a couple or related group.
Thanks for posting first-hand information. I'll be there in August.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, this is good to know. I plan to start from St.Jean on 30th July and really do not want to pre book any accommodation. Buen Camino

oh my gosh- I liked a post on this subject so much that I took a picture of it with my phone and (shame) I got the post but cut off the poster's name- arrgh. sorry proper credit can't be given. I'm paraphrasing below
first, find out if there is a second albergue in town/near town
second, walk across the street to the one star hotel
third, go to the local bar and ask the bartender if he has rooms for rent from the locals
fourth, ask the bartender to make some calls and see if someone wants to rent a room for the night
fifth, ask the local priest if there are overflow accommodations at the church
sixth, take a taxi backward to the last place you were and spend the night then taxi back to where you left off
seventh, taxi forward
eighth, taxi north to the freeway that parallels the camino and has hotels
ninth, have a fit because there are "no options"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Great advice. Thank you for the heads up. My family and I are gonna wait till next year to start in le puye. Enjoy your camino

That is good to hear! I hope it stays that way in July.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Great information Luka thanks for sharing!

My twin 18yr old daughters are here. Didn’t book in St Jean, on the 30th - no problem finding rooms. Roncevalles the big albuerge is in full swing and no problem with getting a room on the 1st. Larrasoana - San Nicolas plenty of beds. Made Puenta le Reina tonight- again there were rooms. The Camino is alive. I’ve walked 2016 and 2019 and we’ve seen 100+ pilgrims per day.

Oh, and maybe another warning: your camino could be more expensive this year than you were used to. The prices of the beds I booked ranged from €10 till €20, and most of them in the upper range.

Some muni's and donativo albergues might not be open yet and I think that quite some private albergues raised their rates because of the low number of pilgrims they are allowed to have. Totally understandable, especially after the very hard times they have already been through, but it is good to realise that you might need a bit bigger budget than usual.
Thank you, Luka.......this is good to know !!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My twin 18yr old daughters are here. Didn’t book in St Jean, on the 30th - no problem finding rooms. Roncevalles the big albuerge is in full swing and no problem with getting a room on the 1st. Larrasoana - San Nicolas plenty of beds. Made Puenta le Reina tonight- again there were rooms. The Camino is alive. I’ve walked 2016 and 2019 and we’ve seen 100+ pilgrims per day.
Good to hear they don't have problems finding a bed! But I don't really understand what 2016 and 2019 have to do with this. I am talking about this covid year, where the start of the summer more or less coincides with the moment a lot of Europeans can finally travel again.

I didn't expect problems in Roncesvalles, because that is a big albergue. But Zubiri for example could easily be a bottle neck. And looking at Gronze for Puente la Reina 3 albergues are still closed, 1 only rents out private rooms, 1 was full the night I wanted to book and the last one (the muni) recommended making a reservation.

I believe that my friend @Oregon's Mark, who is walking with his grandson has met them - he posted a pic with the twins on Instagram. Big smiles on all of them!

Good to hear they don't have problems finding a bed! But I don't really understand what 2016 and 2019 have to do with this. I am talking about this covid year, where the start of the summer more or less coincides with the moment a lot of Europeans can finally travel again.

I didn't expect problems in Roncesvalles, because that is a big albergue. But Zubiri for example could easily be a bottle neck. And looking at Gronze for Puente la Reina 3 albergues are still closed, 1 only rents out private rooms, 1 was full the night I wanted to book and the last one (the muni) recommended making a reservation.
Simply saying I have walked a few Camino Frances’. One was the Holy Year of 16’ that was very crowded- and that was the exact same time of year. 19’ was October. I have some good perspective. There are a lot of pilgrims, the Camino feels a great deal more normal than I’d expected. Lots of pilgrims and no complaints about finding rooms. Bars have many pilgrims at night and the Camino certainly has sprung back to life. That’s just my view. Hope this helps some of you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great advice. Thank you for the heads up. My family and I are gonna wait till next year to start in le puye. Enjoy your camino
On the routes in France it has always been usual to book the gites a day ahead. The French are keen walkers and this route is popular for people wanting a couple of days or a week of walking. Places are limited and if you need an evening meal (often the case) the host needs to know so that they can get in sufficient provisions. Many villages no longer have a baker, a butcher, a shop, as they have closed down - residents tend to drive to supermarkets in the larger towns. And be aware that most shops are closed from Saturday to Tuesday!

I tend to go for the less walked paths and will not be walking a camino this year as part of the pleasure of the camino for me is being able to walk as far as I want to each day and not being constrained as to where my next booking is.

Hi Luka, and others on the camino now, like Mudcrone,
I'm interested to know what the practical arrangements are when you arrive at an albergue. For instance is there any kind of QR code sign-in with your phone and/or any checks as to whether you have been (fully) vaccinated, and/or more interest taken in tracking where you have come from?
Also curious to know whether you've seen any tents being put up in albergue yards or gardens.
Plus, anything else that's changed from previously, like maybe bathroom and kitchen protocols?
Finally, how are our old amigos the bed bugs faring in these de-populated times...?
Many thanks, tom
EDIT PS and are pilgrims obliged to wear face masks in some/all albergues etc?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.