• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rates using Booking.com

Maple Leaf Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
I start my Camino in a week. Thinking I might try and book accommodations ahead day by day using the Booking.com app. But when I try to, it doesn't seem to quote peregrino rates. Just full rate. Does that get recitified when I show up with my Camino passport?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you want pilgrim rates call directly. Owners are already forking out a commission to Booking; it would be a bit much to expect them to also give the pilgrim rate on top of it.

Can confirm. The few places that offer pilgrim prices typically only advertise them locally for walk-ins. On top of the commission that booking charges, property owners would likewise find themselves in the awkward position of having to explain the legal justification for creating a price structure based on class; not the best wording but perhaps you get the meaning.

And of course, there will always be the odd exception.
1- On the camino Inglés recently and couldn't raise a particular property on phone., and concerned I might not get a room there., I opted to book through 'booking dot com'-
Eventually I received an email from property urging me to cancel through booking dot com .
Normally there is a cancellation fee if dropping out too late., but I do use them regularly enough. I wasn't charged this time.
Considerably better price.

2- recently booked a wonderful room on fisterra>Muxía route. Comparatively better price on booking site.
Maybe it was just a great special.
All the best with planning
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are using booking.com, the owners are paying a commission and, as suggested, it is not fair to ask them for a second discount. As well, I tended to avoid asking for a pilgrim's price at a mom&pop establishments, as I think that their margins are thin enough as it is.

With the increase of numbers on the Francese, I have a suspicion that there may not be as many places offering pilgrim discounts in the past, but perhaps others with more recent experience can best provide this information. However, off-season, on the del Norte, I found that larger establishments, or those which also cater to a business-traveller clientèle, were open to knocking 5 to 10 euro off the price or throwing in a free breakfast-- visible exhaustion and a smile seems to work better than anything else. Several of these places did offer a pilgrim package, sometimes advertising them on notices along the way.

We booked the Alberque Rosalia in CastroJeriz recently through Booking.com. I think we paid €12 each. When we arrived the hospitalero told us that because we paid a little bit more than pilgrims who just turned up, he threw in breakfast for free, which normally cost €3 each. Win-win for both of us.

Yes, a couple of times when I've used booking.com I've been given a free breakfast as a pilgrim discount - I learnt this after being told by one receptionist not to choose the booking.com breakfast included, because if you do the establishment can't give it to you for free.

But of course it is entirely up to the hotel - don't expect it as a matter of course.

I do try and ring to book whenever possible, so they don't have to pay the booking fee. But sometimes it is not easy or convenient.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm using three sources for picking alburgues: the Wise Pilgrim app, TrailSmart app and Leslie Gilmour's guide on the kindle app all on my phone. And based on the excellent, kind advice from everyone in this thread, I'll stick with calling the albergues directly to book.

I swear it's a generational thing: looking at the telephone part of a phone as nearly an afterthought. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Maple Leaf Walker be careful to check the location of the accommodation on a map, if you are using a booking agency. What is "near" or "at" a place by car is very far when walking.

O yes! I was given a site in Agreda, which turned out to be in Vozmediano, 6km away. Luckily, it took me on to an extremely obscure mini-Camino (the Antonino) and a great day's walk. But it could have been a disagreeable experience, so do check.

I start my Camino in a week. Thinking I might try and book accommodations ahead day by day using the Booking.com app. But when I try to, it doesn't seem to quote peregrino rates. Just full rate. Does that get recitified when I show up with my Camino passport?
Why not just try not booking a room or a bed for a few days and see how it goes? Most people do that and always seem to find beds. However, if you plan to stay in hotels or casa rurales, booking ahead probably makes more sense, but it's seldom necessary to reserve more than a day in advance or even on the morning of the same day. Others have pointed out that you might get lower rates by reserving directly rather than using online services like booking.com--many options are listed in Camino guidebooks or on sites like gronze.com, usually with a phone number or direct website. Also, you'll see signs posted along the way for many private albergues which accept reservations for beds--again, just calling ahead earlier in the day has always worked for me, even on the last 100km stretch after Sarria. Of course to do that you'll need a phone with a Spanish SIM card, which is a topic that has been well-covered elsewhere on this forum. Just do a search for "SIM cards" or Spanish SIM cards."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For those of you who phone ahead for a room,
do you usually get someone who speaks English?
My limited Spanish will get me by in a bar/restaurant but no way on a phone.

There is no such thing most places. Some albergues allow you to book through booking.com, but the hostales have a set rate for everyone (generally). San Martin Pinario in Santiago will have a pilgrim rate if you call, but no online.

This is not entirely accurate. I have not been posting for some time, but I wish to inform other pilgrims who want to stay at San Martin Pinario that it is possible to book a room on the pilgrim floor (basic but adequate) by email, without using a phone. I have stayed there the past two years and both times have booked my room at the email address: info@sanmartinpinario.eu . I did not request a pilgrim rate, but a room on the pilgrim floor. The cost was about 25 euros, breakfast included. The second time that I booked there, the emailreply requested a telephone number and my credit card information. I answered that I did not have a telephone, but I forwarded my credit card information, and gave them permission to charge the card in advance if they wished. This was not done, but my booking was confirmed. I suppose that they might charge your card if you booked and did not show up. I also made a booking by email for a room at a special pilgrim rate at Hotel Simon in Seville for this fall (info@hotelsimonsevilla.com ) and I look forward to staying there in October before I begin the via de la plata. I plan on carrying a telephone for the first time on this route, instead of my ipad mini, but I would encourage pilgrims without phones but with access to email, or communicating from the other side of the world, that email bookings for pilgrim accommodation or rates is sometimes possible.

For those of you who phone ahead for a room,
do you usually get someone who speaks English?
My limited Spanish will get me by in a bar/restaurant but no way on a phone.
Hospies are very used to English on the other end of the phone and know the request is always the same: a bed.

Difference are whether it's for today or tomorrow (hoy or manana) and the number of beds: una, dos, tres?

They may ask you your name: keep it simple, avoid Joseph Atticus of somethingorother the 3rd, just use Joe. I was making reservations for a bunch of people last time, for some I used the last name, and just how it would sound in Spanish. Munroe became Moonro. Mever bothered with hos very English and un'ronouncable firsy name in Spanish.

If that fails, well there will always be someone around to make the call for you, including your current hospy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"Of course to do that you'll need a phone with a Spanish SIM car"

Not quite sure what you mean. I'm Canadian and am bringing my phone with its existing SIM with me. My carrier includes roam like home which essentially lets me use my 7gb data and long distance plan while in Spain for a fee that is capped at $100/month. I understand that I could swap my SIM for less but the difference of $60 isn't worth the hassle for me vs being able to receive calls at my current number.

I'm Canadian and am bringing my phone with its existing SIM with me. My carrier includes roam like home which essentially lets me use my 7gb data and long distance plan while in Spain for a fee that is capped at $100/month.
Maple Leaf, you are correct. No need for a Spanish SIM card at all.

You could choose to pay the Canadian exhorbitsnt fee, or do as you have done, get a foreign plan with them.

I have used an international plan woth my provider, and twice bought a local SIM card. Both times I eneded having to struggle to recharge.

Not worth the hassle.

Not quite sure what you mean. I'm Canadian and am bringing my phone with its existing SIM with me. My carrier includes roam like home which essentially lets me use my 7gb data and long distance plan while in Spain for a fee that is capped at $100/month. I understand that I could swap my SIM for less but the difference of $60 isn't worth the hassle for me vs being able to receive calls at my current number.
I have an extra iphone that I'm going to put a Spanish SIM card in.
I have friends in country but they will mostly be at work. If they are in a meeting or such it can be an hour or two before they can make the call for me. I'm trying to avoid that

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Booking a room ahead is one of the very few "just in case" things that ARE worth doing on the Camino. Carrying stuff you will not need is IMHO dumb. But, knowing you have a room with private bath and a lock on the door at the end of a long, tiring day is, well, priceless.:D

While you may pay slightly more to book online as opposed to walking in, you also run the very real risk of finding "no rooms at the inn..." This is especially try from June to mid-September, along the Frances and Porto to Santiago stretch. Elsewhere, your experience and mileage may vary...;)

I used booking.com on most of my Camino and was very happy. Once I just winged it and ended up with no sleep in the most aweful place (in every way possible) but have a great story. I saw many people including a deaf woman who had the owners of their current night call ahead to the next place and reserve a bed for them without any problems.

To the question: "why not just try to not book and see how it goes..." ideally I would do just that. But I leave in a week and figure that I'll be hitting it at peak season. As it is, I arrive in Pamplona during San Fermin, so I booked my first night in advance assuming I'll benefit from a good night's sleep before I get on my way.

This is my first Camino. So I'm trying to not overplan, but also want to make sure I don't find myself stuck without a place when I'm dog tired.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To question: "why not just try to not book and see how it goes..." ideally I would do just that. But I leave in a week and figure that I'll be hitting it at peak season. As it is, I arrive in Pamplona during San Fermin, so I booked my first night in advance assuming I'll benefit from a good night's sleep before I get on my way.

This is my first Camino. So I'm trying to not overplan, but also want to make sure I don't find myself stuck without a place when I'm dog tired.
Lol! Wait till you find out booking in advance doesn't equal a good nights sleep. Also, it didn't happen to me but a woman I met had her reservation given away. Make sure if you have a reservation that you let the place know what time you will be arriving or at least that you will be arriving that day if you don't know.

That will probably work. However, FWIW when we walked the Francés in 2013, my wife used Verizon's roaming plan and didn't have very good coverage outside the larger towns and cities. I had a Spanish SIM card (Orange Mundo) and it worked everywhere along the Camino except for one very remote section. You might check some of your Canadian friends or with the Canadian Company of Pilgrims Facebook group and see what their experiences have been like if they used their home carrier's roaming plan.
Buen Camino!

I have friends in country but they will mostly be at work. If they are in a meeting or such it can be an hour or two before they can make the call for me. I'm trying to avoid that

Don't worry, there always will be on the Frances anyway, someone who speaks Spanish and who can help.
I do this regularly for fellow pilgrims. Anything for a free vino/ beer...just kidding :D

I'm with the Cdn Co of Pilgrims here in Victoria. Many of us have used varied options when it comes to Sim cards in Spain. On my CF I used Orange sim card which was reasonable, but walked last month in Scotland, and even factoring in dollar differences, got a much cheaper rate with Vodaphone. Good luck, Buen Camino and....Happy Canada Day 150th Birthday

Re SIM card options: Good to know! I'll have a look when I arrive in Spain. I have a four hour stopover at Barcelona, and I figure there's no shortage of Vodaphone kiosks in the building.

Roaming fees are a fraction of what they used to be so it's a trade off: convenience of not having to hassle with this or saving about 60 bucks.

Re SIM card options: Good to know! I'll have a look when I arrive in Spain. I have a four hour stopover at Barcelona, and I figure there's no shortage of Vodaphone kiosks in the building.

Roaming fees are a fraction of what they used to be so it's a trade off: convenience of not having to hassle with this or saving about 60 bucks.

As far as I recall there is no Vodaphone kiosk in Barcelona airport.
http://www.aena.es/es/aeropuerto-barcelona/tiendas-restaurantes-y-servicios-vip.html

But there is one in Pamplona city centre.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Noted. I fly in to Pamplona later that day arriving around 4, so that leaves me a few hours to look around town for one if needed.

Apart from the first night in Bayonne - when I arrive late - and the last night in Santiago (oh, and Orrison if staying there!), I have NEVER had to book an albergue ahead on the Camino francés.
I walk it in July/August when according to statistics, it is the busiest. Even when deciding to treat myself to a nice hotel, I have had no problems just turning up and there was a room....
Have things changed so much since...last Summer???

My advice is not to worry, relax and go with the flow, really. According to MY experience, you're very unlikely to be left without a bed for the night. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That will probably work. However, FWIW when we walked the Francés in 2013, my wife used Verizon's roaming plan and didn't have very good coverage outside the larger towns and cities. I had a Spanish SIM card (Orange Mundo) and it worked everywhere along the Camino except for one very remote section. You might check some of your Canadian friends or with the Canadian Company of Pilgrims Facebook group and see what their experiences have been like if they used their home carrier's roaming plan.
Buen Camino!

I used my Rogers (aka Vampire Canada) roaming plan and had no trouble except spotty coverage in Cudillero, which was in a valley between two ridges. I got the $100 charge for a month's use. I used Rogers six years ago and was unhappy with their ambitious and outrageous charges, but they have since responded to public (and parliamentary) pressure and got their act together. For three Caminos I used a Spanish flip phone (30 euro and a hundred minutes talking time) and found it a good solution but for family reasons needed to have a Canadian number for contact.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Maple Leaf Walker really good that you booked that night in Pamplona during San Fermin; usually there is nothing available for miles around and pilgrims have great trouble. But don't count on getting much sleep!

Ha! I'm keeping my expectations low. As long as I have a place to sleep after my long flight, I'm happy. ツ

Again, thank you everyone for all the help and insights!

To the question: "why not just try to not book and see how it goes..." ideally I would do just that. But I leave in a week and figure that I'll be hitting it at peak season. As it is, I arrive in Pamplona during San Fermin, so I booked my first night in advance assuming I'll benefit from a good night's sleep before I get on my way.

I'm starting in Leon July 23 ( have to be in Madrid August 13 to get the wife at the airport ) booked my first night for Leon and also the second night in Villar De Mazarife. After that I'm going to take it day by day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You might check some of your Canadian friends or with the Canadian Company of Pilgrims Facebook group and see what their experiences have been like if they used their home carrier's roaming plan.
Buen Camino!
Walked the Portuguese Central with Telus and did just fine. Orange failed me on the Primitivo on top of the Hospitales roite but was ok everywhere else.

Buen Camino!
I used Verizon's international roaming plan last year. $10 bucks a day.
It wasn't the end of the world. Guess I used it about 15 days over a months time. Never had a problem with coverage but now I have an extra phone which I'll put a Spanish SIM card in.
I'll carry two phones but it's the best idea I can come up with

It wasn't the end of the world. Guess I used it about 15 days over a months time. Never had a problem with coverage but now I have an extra phone which I'll put a Spanish SIM card in.
Wow! And is canadians complain. I paid 75$C or so for the 3 weeks.

I just heard from a pilgrim here in Muxia that he has a phone that can hold two SIM cards. Does anyone know how that would work? Does the user have to select one or is there some sort of auto-select like with wifi?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lol! Wait till you find out booking in advance doesn't equal a good nights sleep. Also, it didn't happen to me but a woman I met had her reservation given away. Make sure if you have a reservation that you let the place know what time you will be arriving or at least that you will be arriving that day if you don't know.

Use Google or Microsoft Translator on your smart phone to send an e-mail ahead to update your planned arrival time and to let them know that YOU WILL BE THERE. This has worked flawlessly for me, for the past five years.

Use Google or Microsoft Translator on your smart phone to send an e-mail ahead to update your planned arrival time and to let them know that YOU WILL BE THERE. This has worked flawlessly for me, for the past five years.
I speak Spanish but that is great advice to anyone using booking. I always set up my arrival through the booking app. No problem.

Who is your Canadian phone provider? I have been debating getting my phone unlocked and a Spanish sim card.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked from mid-May through the end of June, 2017. We found it useful to book ahead, by phone, at least a day ahead. As we got to the Meseta with fewer options, 2 days is recommended. After Sarria as well. Use booking sites as your last resort or for hotels. Calling or texting worked well even with limited Spanish.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm using three sources for picking alburgues: the Wise Pilgrim app, TrailSmart app and Leslie Gilmour's guide on the kindle app all on my phone. And based on the excellent, kind advice from everyone in this thread, I'll stick with calling the albergues directly to book.

I swear it's a generational thing: looking at the telephone part of a phone as nearly an afterthought. :D
There are also resources on this site, as well at the Pilgrim office in StJPdP, which is where I picked mine up, knowing it would be current.

Thanks I will check this out as they are my provider. By the time you pay to have your phone unlocked, get a Spanish sim card and a trip to the store it might end up being pretty close.
And that is why I purchased Google's Nexus phone; it may be different now but at the time, it was the only phone you could purchase unlocked. Also very happy with its camera, even though I carry my own. An unlocked phone is helpful when you're travelling to different countries. I too am a Koodo customer, however I just prepay my bill for the time I'm away and use a sim card for whatever country I'm in. Still works out better financially for me.

I have an unlocked iPhone but you can buy unlocked phones (BLU) online cheap. Go to an Orange or Vodafone store when you get to Spain (take your passport) and get a pre-paid SIM, easy and convenient. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.