• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rating caminos on the Fun Scale

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis, Portugues, Primitivo, 6 others
I had never heard of The Fun Scale until recently. It has become a lively topic of conversation and reminiscences over beers with friends. We had so much "fun" that we decided to apply it to caminos we have walked. I won't divulge what we concluded, but I would love to hear from others. While no camino I have walked ever rated as Type III, passing the markers on caminos of those who did not make it is prima facie evidence it does exist. Here's a modification of how REI describes the Fun Scale to fit the camino:

Type I Fun​

Type 1 fun is enjoyable while it’s happening. Also known as, simply, fun. Good experiences, companionship, food, drink, culture...so much fits Type 1 fun on a camino.

Type II Fun​

Type 2 fun is miserable while it’s happening, but fun in retrospect. It usually begins with the best intentions, but then things turn south. My partner sliding down a hill of mud on the Camino Primitivo is one of so many camino misadventures we love to reminisce about.

Type III Fun​

Type 3 fun is not fun at all. Not even in retrospect. Afterward, you think, “What in the hell was I doing? If I ever come up with another idea that stupid, somebody slap some sense into me.”

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not to be the prim old lady, but I have a great respect for the camino as a spiritual journey. It's a holy experience in a sacred place. Rating it on a "fun scale" would be like asking which religious group has the most entertaining worship services. Sure, you can go there for a fun holiday, but that's really not the point of the place.

What I have seen is it depends on your age and maturity. You can be a complete a..hole like you are on a college spring break or you can consider Reb's advice. As the mantra goes: it is your Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have to say, I never thought of walking the Camino as a "fun" thing to do. I have definitely enjoyed every Camino I have walked despite the sometimes bad weather etc. I suppose it would rate for me a zero on the imaginary scale as I don't walk it to have.
When I think about fun trips I've taken it is more along the lines of partying with my mates on liberty call/shore leave in the military. I suppose that would rate high on the fun scale for me, though the shore patrol never thought so lol. Mind you I was so much younger then.

Not to be the prim old lady, but I have a great respect for the camino as a spiritual journey. It's a holy experience in a sacred place. Rating it on a "fun scale" would be like asking which religious group has the most entertaining worship services. Sure, you can go there for a fun holiday, but that's really not the point of the place.
We are primarily religious, spiritual and cultural camino walkers, so the idea of the camino as fun never really occured to us. But when we heard about this, we realized we did have countless times of fun on the camino. I hope you did as well. To be honest, we keep the religious and spiritual aspects to ourselves, while we reminisce most about the cultural...and yes, the fun...times.

The camino provides...so much to so many people in so many ways.!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back