• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re coastal Camino

Twinkle

Time of past OR future Camino
2017/2018
hello I am new to this, could I please ask the following
1 I have never done a Camino walk before but thinking of doing the coastal Camino in November this year. Is this a good time to do it.
2 I am reasonably fit and will be 58 years of age, thought I will do it over 20 days or so as I will be on my own, is this do able and am I doing the right thing taking that amount of time. I want to be able to enjoy the journey not just compleating it.
3 should I book through a. Tour group so I can have luggage carried from destination to destination or is there a way to organise this privately.

Thoughts and input will be very much appreciated.

Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Anne, welcome to the forum! Where would you like to start walking from? It will take about 10 to 14 days to walk from Porto. The coastal route from Lisbon will take over 30 days, and is not waymarked. November is not a good month, especially on the coast, as the weather could turn very cold, wet and windy. There will be very few other walkers at that time of the year, if any. Feel free to ask more questions, and we’ll try and help.
Jill

Thank you for your prompt reply.

What would the best time be to walk the coastal way, I am hoping to start the walk in Porto. But was thinking of taking more than 14 days.
Could you also let me know about luggage transfer if you have any information.

Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We walked the Coastal route once we arrived at Porto. Our time of year was Sept/October and we had lovely weather. There is baggage transport. Ill look in my notes and see if I can find the company whose card I picked up.

Please do not spend your money on a tour operator just to have your pack transported: they would be using the same service providers as you would independently. Probably TuiTrans.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked the Coastal route once we arrived at Porto. Our time of year was Sept/October and we had lovely weather. There is baggage transport. Ill look in my notes and see if I can find the company whose card I picked up.
Thank you, will appreciate you sending that information too

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Olá Twinkle,

as all other members said, do the coastal way in september/early october. The weather will be fine, but expect some short showers on your way. From Porto to Santiago I recommend TuiTrans (internet) for baggage transport. Working as hospitaleiro in Angeiras, we havent´t had any issues with this company for years. Therefore do your caminho on your own and don´t waste your money. It´s so easy! On one of my caminos I met an old lady (a bit over 80) carrying only a shopping bag. She arrived at every albergue late in the afternoon - she did it! Btw. I am 70 now and still doing the camino. As you said, you have 20 days to do it - plenty of time! Well, if you take the Caminho Central, there are often stages from 6 to 10 km a day - doable!

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
Thank you bee now looking at what you said. I have ordered the John Brillies book too.

Cheers

Twinkle

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Brierley has very clear and very detailed info for the “green” route out of Porto, alongside the river to Matosinhos, and continuing further, beside the coast, to Vila do Conde.
Jill

Hi, Brierley has very clear and very detailed info for the “green” route out of Porto, alongside the river to Matosinhos, and continuing further, beside the coast, to Vila do Co

Olá Jill, Yes, the "green way" is in the book. I know it. There are many other ways out of Porto, from various places, by foot, with public transporation and so on. I said, there are other informations in this forum about this topic.
Actually I don´t know what I have posted about ways out of Porto in this forum. I have to check it. In a german forum, I´ve posted about 20 possibilities to get out of Porto in a pleasant way. I know, it´s not possible for a writer to put all possibilities in a book.

As I said, I will check what I have written and I have to find some time to translate all the posts from the german forum. Well, in 3 weeks I go back to Angeiras to do my anual 7 week shift as hospitaleiro, like every year.
Bom caminho, Rainer

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back