• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RE: General advice for the Camino . . .

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hi everybody,

I know this has been probably covered 100 times over but I'm looking for general advice for my Camino walk in the summer.

I'm leaving Ireland and flying into Biarritz in France in mid-June, I plan on getting the transfer to Bayonne and get the train to St Jean PDP.

Has anyone an updated train timetable from Biarritz/Bayonne to SJPDP?

Is it recommended to book into a hostel in St Jean in advance? I'm conscious that I'm going during the peak months of people walking the Camino.

I plan on giving myself approximately 7-8 weeks to complete the French Way and the Finisterre way.

I have a query on this. As I am hoping to complete both journeys, will I be receiving two certificates of completion? Is it recommended to bypass the cathedral in Santiago and proceed straight onto the Finisterre way or should you get your certificate immediately on completion of the French way?

I'm really looking forward to the whole experience, I'm planning on bringing a relatively light backpack with me and have John Brierley's guidebooks ordered. I plan on getting a lot of things like my stick, hats, competed etc when I get to St Jean.

In terms of access to ATMs, is it recommended to take out larger withdrawals or is there generally good access to ATMs along the route?

From general observation of the forum so far, it seems that June, July and August seem to be extremely busy for hostels, is this a worry?

I'm thinking of doing a few weeks of Spanish classes in preparation, recommended? Or have English speakers got by alright without knowledge of the native tongue?

Sorry, if this is a repeating of what many others have asked ten times over before but I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

I look forward to meeting many fellow pilgrims from all walks of life over the summer.

Buen Camino, hasta leugo!

Gracias!

Irishmancamino (Joe)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Has anyone an updated train timetable from Biarritz/Bayonne to SJPDP?

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/horaires

Is it recommended to book into a hostel in St Jean in advance?
Seriously Good Idea.

I plan on giving myself approximately 7-8 weeks to complete the French Way and the Finisterre way.
A fit person will do SJPP to Sdc in 30+ days, most take about 40. SdC to Finisterre is 3 to 4 days.

You may want to think what you will do if you find that you have a lot of spare time on your hands.

I have a query on this. As I am hoping to complete both journeys, will I be receiving two certificates of completion? Is it recommended to bypass the cathedral in Santiago and proceed straight onto the Finisterre way or should you get your certificate immediately on completion of the French way?
You can buy a cardboard tube to carry your Compostella in. Walk to Finisterre and get a Fisterra, go to Muxia and get a Muxian. If you walk Ferrol to SdC on the Camino Inglés you will be entitled to another Compostela. Go to http://www.csj.org.uk and download their guide to this route. you should have plenty of time to do this as well.

I'm really looking forward to the whole experience, I'm planning on bringing a relatively light backpack with me and have John Brierley's guidebooks ordered. I plan on getting a lot of things like my stick, hats, competed etc when I get to St Jean.
Will probably be cheaper to buy at home unless you wnat a wooden stave embossed with SJPP I prefer Mefix tape and Mepore pads to deal with blisters.

In terms of access to ATMs, is it recommended to take out larger withdrawals or is there generally good access to ATMs along the route?
ATM are in good supply. Your bank will probably charge you for each withdrawl in Spain as well as the exchange rate commission. I usully prefer to carry a couple hundred euros in a pouch round my neck. Never, ever let it out of your sight!

From general observation of the forum so far, it seems that June, July and August seem to be extremely busy for hostels, is this a worry?
Only if you let it. You may struggle to find a bed in the albergue of your choice but otherwise the consensus is you should be ok. It will probably be very hot and you will need to start at first light. Try not to get sucked into the bed race.

I'm thinking of doing a few weeks of Spanish classes in preparation, recommended? Or have English speakers got by alright without knowledge of the native tongue?
A little Spanish goes a long way but many people will speak both and translate for you.

Sorry, if this is a repeating of what many others have asked ten times over before but I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
Yup, if I wasn't in a good mood on a quiet Sunday afternoon I would replied, stop being so lazy and get using the search engine. :lol: :lol: That's what its there for. :wink:

I look forward to meeting many fellow pilgrims from all walks of life over the summer.
Not me. I'm done for this year by then. :roll:

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Yup, if I wasn't in a good mood on a quiet Sunday afternoon I would replied, stop being so lazy and get using the search engine. :lol: :lol: That's what its there for. :wink:

I was trying to figure out a very nice way to suggest this once again. Good on you for the Sunday afternoon kindness.

Much agreed, the Search Forum above has the answers to help and even answers for questions you didn't even have. Give it a try.

May your walk be all you desire. It really can be a journey of a lifetime.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back