Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unique engravings about the Camino de Santiago from Gabriel and other art objects.

Re: Markets

cecilie@thewolery

Hello,
I am going to be walking my first Camino in June, starting in Porto and seeing how far I get....
I am a craft person, and have seen some pictures of wonderful markets in Portugal, with hand made clogs!!! Does anyone know of any markets that will be on from the 3rd of June til the 9th, along my path? It would be amazing to see some traditional Portuguese crafts on my way.
Thank you for your time and help!
Cecilie

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

sulu

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
a few since 2010
There is an enormous market at Vila Nova de Cerveira on Saturdays, I've just spent the day there and it has all sorts of stuff.
Vila Nova de Cerveira is on the River Mino and not too far from Valenca, it has a train station, i'm sure if you ask in Valenca they will be able to point you in the right direction, hoping your flight isn't on Saturday morning!
Sue

Thornley

Veteran Member
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Hi Cecilie,

If you can find out when Caminha has one its wonderful.
We were there a few years ago.
This is on the coastal route and is a very important town in the Portuguese history regarding Spain.
Buen Camino
David

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

cecilie@thewolery

Hello,
I fly out on Saturday, so will miss out on the big market....next time!
The market in Caminha sounds interesting. I have the John Brierly book, and the only coastal path stops in Vila do Conde. Does the path go on along the coast further North? if so how far? and is it well marked?
Thank you all for your time and help, it is such a wonderful feeling knowing I have access to such a wealth of information and help. Very exciting too!!!
X cecilie

AlanB

I passed through Ponte De Lima last year on a Sunday and there was wonderful market (mixture of Flea and Fresh produce) spread out along the riverbank. I'm sure it's weekly. Well worth a look

sulu

Veteran Member
a few since 2010
I have the John Brierly book, and the only coastal path stops in Vila do Conde. Does the path go on along the coast further North? if so how far? and is it well marked?

There is a more northern coastal route that starts about Rates, it goes through: Esposende;Viana de Castelo and Via Nova de Cerveira before arriving at Valenca. There is a good thread here:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-portugues/topic11175.html
Sue

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
There is a lovely market in...Santiago de Compostela not fifty meters from where the Camino enters the old town! Vegetables fruit fish shellfish and meat all cheaper fresher and a greater selection then the supermarket - forget Santiagos super expensive restautrants, get what you need at the market and cook it yourself for a tenth of the price! They will clean your fish however you want and open those shelfeish that need opening on the spot-Friday morning there is even a guy who cooks octopus if you are in to that!

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
cecilie@thewolery said:
Hello,
I am going to be walking my first Camino in June, starting in Porto and seeing how far I get....
I am a craft person, and have seen some pictures of wonderful markets in Portugal, with hand made clogs!!! Does anyone know of any markets that will be on from the 3rd of June til the 9th, along my path? It would be amazing to see some traditional Portuguese crafts on my way.
Thank you for your time and help!
Cecilie[/quote
Hi Cecilie: As far as I know there is a mercadillo every day in Valenca do minho,
Bom caminho
Cote :arrow: 8)

haikutaxi

Camino Portugués (May 2012)
Coastal Camino Portugués (October 2013)
Camino Inglés (planning for ?)
Barcelos has a big market every Thursday.

Anneshie

The Barcelos market was highly recommended in John's book, however we found it very disappointing, as it was moreof a junk/garage sale, with fresh food, tablecloths and kitchen items. Not worth seeing. The Sunday market in Ponte de Lima however is an absolute must see. They start early, with food stalls, fresh produce, traditional Portuguese dances, and a general festive atmosphere. We took a rest day at Ponte de Lima, it is a gorgeous town with a great atmosphere. There is a very inexpensive little hostel above the pizza shop, right in the centre of town.

D

Deleted member 3000

Ponferrada has a market along the river on Thursday. Many of the stalls are the flea market variety, but many are local food and produce.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads