• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re: Markets

cecilie@thewolery

Hello,
I am going to be walking my first Camino in June, starting in Porto and seeing how far I get....
I am a craft person, and have seen some pictures of wonderful markets in Portugal, with hand made clogs!!! Does anyone know of any markets that will be on from the 3rd of June til the 9th, along my path? It would be amazing to see some traditional Portuguese crafts on my way.
Thank you for your time and help!
Cecilie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is an enormous market at Vila Nova de Cerveira on Saturdays, I've just spent the day there and it has all sorts of stuff.
Vila Nova de Cerveira is on the River Mino and not too far from Valenca, it has a train station, i'm sure if you ask in Valenca they will be able to point you in the right direction, hoping your flight isn't on Saturday morning!
Sue

Hi Cecilie,

If you can find out when Caminha has one its wonderful.
We were there a few years ago.
This is on the coastal route and is a very important town in the Portuguese history regarding Spain.
Buen Camino
David

Hello,
I fly out on Saturday, so will miss out on the big market....next time!
The market in Caminha sounds interesting. I have the John Brierly book, and the only coastal path stops in Vila do Conde. Does the path go on along the coast further North? if so how far? and is it well marked?
Thank you all for your time and help, it is such a wonderful feeling knowing I have access to such a wealth of information and help. Very exciting too!!!
X cecilie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I passed through Ponte De Lima last year on a Sunday and there was wonderful market (mixture of Flea and Fresh produce) spread out along the riverbank. I'm sure it's weekly. Well worth a look

There is a lovely market in...Santiago de Compostela not fifty meters from where the Camino enters the old town! Vegetables fruit fish shellfish and meat all cheaper fresher and a greater selection then the supermarket - forget Santiagos super expensive restautrants, get what you need at the market and cook it yourself for a tenth of the price! They will clean your fish however you want and open those shelfeish that need opening on the spot-Friday morning there is even a guy who cooks octopus if you are in to that!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
cecilie@thewolery said:
Hello,
I am going to be walking my first Camino in June, starting in Porto and seeing how far I get....
I am a craft person, and have seen some pictures of wonderful markets in Portugal, with hand made clogs!!! Does anyone know of any markets that will be on from the 3rd of June til the 9th, along my path? It would be amazing to see some traditional Portuguese crafts on my way.
Thank you for your time and help!
Cecilie[/quote
Hi Cecilie: As far as I know there is a mercadillo every day in Valenca do minho,
Bom caminho
Cote :arrow: 8)

Barcelos has a big market every Thursday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Barcelos market was highly recommended in John's book, however we found it very disappointing, as it was moreof a junk/garage sale, with fresh food, tablecloths and kitchen items. Not worth seeing. The Sunday market in Ponte de Lima however is an absolute must see. They start early, with food stalls, fresh produce, traditional Portuguese dances, and a general festive atmosphere. We took a rest day at Ponte de Lima, it is a gorgeous town with a great atmosphere. There is a very inexpensive little hostel above the pizza shop, right in the centre of town.

Ponferrada has a market along the river on Thursday. Many of the stalls are the flea market variety, but many are local food and produce.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back