• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reaching Santiago

MeganG22

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-->SdC
(Oct3-Nov3 2012)
Pamplona-->SdC
(Oct1-Oct29 2014)
Upcoming!
Pamplona-->SdC
May 1-? 2017
This is an excerpt from an email I wrote to my mother on November 3rd, a few hours after our arrival in Santiago. I wanted to share it here because maybe it will spark some memories in the rest of you about any magical days you had on your walk. I have been thinking about the Camino almost nonstop since I came home, I feel slightly crazed. And I know people will understand that.
(I apologize for the length.... if you want to leave a long response to get back at me, I understand ;)

"SANTIAGOOOOO. We have arrived! We did a huge day today- about 23 miles- and ended in Santiago de Compostela around 6:45pm. Crazy that we´re here and it´s complete and we feel awesome! It was very strange too... this day started off pretty bad, it was very rainy and dreary and for the first hour it was DARK, despite being past 8am. However, eventually the rain stopped and we made it the rest of the 20 kilometers being dry. At the beginning of the day we had not decided where we end up- whether we would go the whole way or stay somewhere to enter the city fresh in the morning. However, it's us, and being the stubborn folks we are, you could have guessed what we were going to do.

Santiago is like any of the other big towns we´ve been in- when you think you´ve entered the city you find a map that says you´re actually 3-4 kilometers away from your destination. So we keep walking and then hear some people saying "peregrinos, peregrinos!" and whistling us over to them. They have a huge roaster which looks like a BBQ and they are roasting chestnuts. They give us a little glass of wine and two big paper cones filled with roasted nuts and explain that at this time of year they have gatherings in parks and other places to roast nuts with their neighbors. What a nice welcome to the city.

We decided a few hours before that that if we were going all the way to Santiago, we were going ALL the way into the city and touching the Cathedral, not just finding somewhere along the outside to stay. When we make it to the side of the Cathedral we see a man named Grant (who we have not seen since Burgos, very early on) just standing off to the side and we have a nice reunion. And he tells us that the place he´s standing in front of has rooms and a lot of people are there, etc. And we see a couple other people we recognize and everyone is hugging and shaking hands and congratulating each other.

We go see if the place has rooms, and they do, and we get a private room, and when we go up to our floor, there´s a whole group that we know, including Steve! And then we wander around a little and just keep seeing all these people from the past few weeks and everyone is happy and glad to see each other. It was really nice. We also saw a man named Simon- we had walked with him a day or two prior to Burgos, before he developed some foot issues and stayed behind and we were convinced we would never see again.

I´m not necessarily saying it was kismet or anything spiritual, but everything just really worked out the last hour and a half of our day and it was all almost like an incredible gift... And now we´re here!"

Just reading this again I am emotional about it all! It was truly an outstanding end to my Camino and I hope I hold onto these memories forever. We had joked for days before about how our end would be like a movie, and all the people we had met the whole five weeks prior would magically be in Santiago when we arrived. We never would have dreamed that it would actually happen! Oh I am so ready to do it all again.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If Grant was from Australia and Steve was from Canada, I walked with both of them. Who else did you meet up with? We may very well have walked together or close to each other. Was one of them Laura Hands or Carl from Austria by any chance. Melinda Dobsova a Magyar, Josh and Jo a nice married couple from Australia , also Michael (the Mule) from Australia? I was with all of them at some point. If you don't mind, what is your name. I am Sidney Seale.

Thanks for sharing this. Yes you cannot stop thinking of it and the people every day. Over 3 months it has been my daily distraction and I havealready bored my family and friends to death and am counting the days to my May camino!
allan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
siseale94 said:
If Grant was from Australia and Steve was from Canada, I walked with both of them. Who else did you meet up with? We may very well have walked together or close to each other. Was one of them Laura Hands or Carl from Austria by any chance. Melinda Dobsova a Magyar, Josh and Jo a nice married couple from Australia , also Michael (the Mule) from Australia? I was with all of them at some point. If you don't mind, what is your name. I am Sidney Seale.

Hi Sidney!

Grant was indeed from Australia- Tasmania actually! The Steve I mentioned was actually from Wales. However, there was also super tall and SUPER nice Steve from Canada who we saw very often.... I did not have the pleasure of meeting anyone you mentioned. Some other notable folks I met were Draton, a Brazilian from Boston, Kevin from Canada (longer gray hair), Frank- a priest from Chicago, and Bill from California (who everyone we met during the first couple weeks seemed to know.)
My name is Megan, my boyfriend and walking partner was Chris. I'm sorry that you and I never crossed paths! Or maybe did and never met....

And Allan- it's very reassuring to know I'm not the only one!! :)

Thanks, that is the same Grant, we at least had that connection...Anyway, I feel the same about the camino and will return. I may have been a day or so ahead of you but we were on the same way. I felt your excitement through your post and knew it well.

Hello Megan, Chris and Sydney. Grant from Tasmania here. What a community we Perigrinos are. Tom from Ireland sent me a New Year's message advising you had mentioned Simon and me. I asked him for the website and here we are. I keep in touch with a few of our fellow walkers.

I lost track of Sydney though. Last time I saw you was a wet day and you were in desperate need of a toilet. I caught up with Steve from Canada and Drayton from Brazil in Santiago but never saw you again even though I asked around. Hope you enjoyed your rest in that flash hotel. Remember "Where are the banyos?" and then "Listen fella, just give me a room". Loved that exchange.

When the weather cleared in Santiago, Sam (fellow Australian) and I headed for Finisterre where we met another Australian, Ben enroute. The three of us had a great time; lots of laughs over a few vinos. We stayed an extra night in Finisterre then Sam and I walked to Muxia. I keep in touch with both still.

I then spent a few days in Barcelona and caught the overnight train to Paris where I had to catch my plane home. While standing in a queue at the airport, I heard someone calling out "Buen Camino" and was then embraced by a lovely lady from Canada. She and her husband were returning to Montreal. Although our paths crossed on the Camino, I never caught their names and cannot even remember exactly where we were. What were the odds of that meeting in Paris?

Anyway, Happy New Year and maybe our paths will cross again too. Lots of weird stuff on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Megan,
Great to read your posting - I'm the same as every day I'm still thinking about the walk 2 months on. I remember last seeing you and Chris at breakfast at the hotel on the morning of the 4th. November. It was brilliant to keep running into familiar faces around the city, faces from Day One to all along the camino to Santiago who had either just finished or had been there a few days, ones who had already returned from Finisterre. Most amazing was Claudia from Slovenia - I was at mass in the cathedral and during the "peace be with you" handshaking, the person in front of me turns round and it is Claudia who I hadn't seen since Puenta de la Reina. I know Grant from Tasmania as I walked with him at the beginning and the end as we lost touch because, as you say, I had feet problem for a couple of days. Had a few drinks with Grant and Sam from Perth and the last I saw them they were full of tinto after having had dinner with you and Chris. Other fellow pelegrinos: Brazilian Drayton, Canadian Steve, Dutch Nico, Colorado Robin - "from the boondocks", Oregon Luke, Japanese Diako, Irish Tom, fellow Brit Rory, New Yorker Kinka(spelling?), my good friends Sunni, Herin and Andy from Korea, Korean Julia, Canadian Kevin, German Stephanie and more too numerous to mention. Certainly a lifetime's experience - how do you top that?
Almost forgot - my special friend Julia from Hannover, Germany
A Happy New Year to everyone and, who knows?, we may meet again.
Best Wishes,
Simon from London

Buckeroo said:
Hello Megan, Chris and Sydney. Grant from Tasmania here. What a community we Perigrinos are. Tom from Ireland sent me a New Year's message advising you had mentioned Simon and me. I asked him for the website and here we are. I keep in touch with a few of our fellow walkers.

I lost track of Sydney though. Last time I saw you was a wet day and you were in desperate need of a toilet. I caught up with Steve from Canada and Drayton from Brazil in Santiago but never saw you again even though I asked around. Hope you enjoyed your rest in that flash hotel. Remember "Where are the banyos?" and then "Listen fella, just give me a room". Loved that exchange.

When the weather cleared in Santiago, Sam (fellow Australian) and I headed for Finisterre where we met another Australian, Ben enroute. The three of us had a great time; lots of laughs over a few vinos. We stayed an extra night in Finisterre then Sam and I walked to Muxia. I keep in touch with both still.

I then spent a few days in Barcelona and caught the overnight train to Paris where I had to catch my plane home. While standing in a queue at the airport, I heard someone calling out "Buen Camino" and was then embraced by a lovely lady from Canada. She and her husband were returning to Montreal. Although our paths crossed on the Camino, I never caught their names and cannot even remember exactly where we were. What were the odds of that meeting in Paris?

Anyway, Happy New Year and maybe our paths will cross again too. Lots of weird stuff on the Camino.

Grant, I remember that day well, it was in Sahagun. But it was the chicken in Templarios that got me. Stayed the night there(mostly in the banyo) then tried to catch up the rest of the way. Found Laura, then Lenka from Prague for a few and finished walking with Mikael Doring, a Dane and great walker. We did 42 and 48 kms the last two days into Santiago. Didn't go to Finisterra, took the train to Bilboa and became a tourist there and in San Sebastion/Donostia. Ya ever get over that chainsaw incident? It is good to hear from you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Si, so glad to hear from you again. Although brief, I really enjoyed our couple of meals and time walking together. I arrived in Santiago on 2nd November about midday during a downpour; unforgettable. Sounds like you really got going towards the end. When did you arrive? Sam and I headed for the coast on 6th November, spent 2 nights in Finisterre with Ben and then on to Muxia returning on the late bus on 11th November. I then had another 2 nights in Santiago before catching a train on 13th. Were we ever in Santiago at the same time?

By then I was not recognising many of the pilgrims that were arriving; not like the 1st few days when I just kept bumping into people I knew. You were about the only one I missed.

All the best,
Grant.

PS The old girl is talking to me again but we don't mention the chainsaw.

Oh Grant and Simon!! How amazing to connect to you both on here! And how wonderful to have been so lucky to see you both in Santiago, it definitely made the trip that much more amazing. Chris and I went to A Coruña after Santiago (just by train :wink: ) and then headed to Barcelona for 5 nights and then to Italy. I did end up feeling a bit sad that we did not continue on to Finisterre, so it has become a personal goal for me to definitely make it to Santiago again one day and continue to the ocean.

Hearing from both of you on here will truly allow my year to now end tomorrow on an incredibly positive note! Happy New Year!

Great to hear from all of you again too. This is a top site. I've been trawling through it since I signed up this morning.

The walk to the coast was really worth it for me for a number of reasons: not as many walkers during the day but still enough for great company at night, lots of bush and tiny villages, a bit of road walking but light traffic, spectacular views especially on the coast, milder weather although it still rained a little and very friendly locals. It was like a little bit of the previous 800kms had been condensed into 100kms. When I got to Muxia, I posted to my Facebook friends the following bad news/good news note, "I've run out of Camino but there are more Caminos" to which my wife replied "But not just yet". It was a strange feeling to reach the end but I can definitely recommend the extra walk.

Anyway, happy new year. It's only a few hours away here.
Grant.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
While I have not been on a Camino yet, reading your mini reunion has given me a small taste.

Thanks for sharing...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back