A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Read for Anyone Walking Camino Del Norte - 30 Day Journal & Tips

2020 Camino Guides

Daniel Beaumont

Walked the VDLP, Frances, Portuguese and Norte.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Camino Norte, Camino Portugués, Camino Primitivo & Camino Via de la Plata (May 19)
Hey fellow pilgrims,

Last June/July I walked the Camino Del Norte, starting in Irun, heading on to the Camino Primitivo, and finishing my journey on the coast in Finisterre a month later.

I kept a journal each day of my walk - philosophical, journalistic and reflective in nature - about my thoughts, feelings, the people I met and the lessons I learned along the way.

I’ve compiled each of those daily journal entries into a long-form article about the entire journey, so if there’s anyone interested in walking the Camino Del Norte, or passionate about the Camino in general, then feel free to take a read.

I’ll also be walking the Via de la Plata this May and documenting my journey in a similar style again, so I’d love any feedback on how I could improve the documentation/journalling process.

Happy reading and Buen Camino to any pilgrim lucky enough to be walking the way this year.

P.s. if you decide to document your own journey, be sure to send me a link - I’d love to read about your experiences.

Elizabeth Cheung

Existential Sherpa
Camino(s) past & future
Let's just say I've been around ;-)
Really enjoyable read! You did some long distances but I am impressed with your stamina and insights. I laughed about the "2 minutes of rain in 30 days". I had a similar experience walking in the UK. One long distance walk it was torrential rains. The other no rain in 2 months! So far my Camino's have been relatively rain free but that may change this year on the Norte. My only suggestion would be in your headings where you put distances, feelings, etc it would be nice to have the name the place you stayed. BTW, are you active on any other social media as far as posting your journeys? Would love to see more photos too!

Daniel Beaumont

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Camino Norte, Camino Portugués, Camino Primitivo & Camino Via de la Plata (May 19)
Really enjoyable read! You did some long distances but I am impressed with your stamina and insights. I laughed about the "2 minutes of rain in 30 days". I had a similar experience walking in the UK. One long distance walk it was torrential rains. The other no rain in 2 months! So far my Camino's have been relatively rain free but that may change this year on the Norte. My only suggestion would be in your headings where you put distances, feelings, etc it would be nice to have the name the place you stayed. BTW, are you active on any other social media as far as posting your journeys? Would love to see more photos too!
Hey Elizabeth. Thanks for the great feedback. Where were you walking in the UK?

Good point too - i will certainly add the Accommodation this year, and also Weather will be useful as well.

Yes, i post on my public page.... feel free to add me/follow me and you can see everything there: www.facebook.com/dbeaumont90

Take care and all the best!

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
Great read and great accomplishment! Well done.

Niels

camino mi privio
Camino(s) past & future
Ca. del Norte and Ca. Primotivo in 2016 + Santiago to Muxia; Ca. Frances and Ruta Dragonte in 2018.
My blog of my first Camino may be found online at https://caminomiprivio.wordpress.com/ Unfortunately for most of you, it is in Danish! If you want to struggle reading about my seven weeks in April and May 2016, you may use google translate. BUT the photsos from part one (Camino del Norte to Oviedo) can be found at http://junkerpoulsen.wixsite.com/caminomiprivio And the second part - which is the Primitivo - at https://junkerpoulsen.wixsite.com/camino-primitivo Please, feel free to ask questions.

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Francés, Le Puy / Francés (parts), 2018 Norte (Biarritz), Francés, 2019 Portuguese (Lisbon)
Hi Daniel,

I was on the Norte in June last year too. Your blog brings back lots of wonderful memories. 25 days is incredible going too - well done!

Which day did you set off from Irun? I wonder if we crossed paths.

Daniel Beaumont

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Daniel,

I was on the Norte in June last year too. Your blog brings back lots of wonderful memories. 25 days is incredible going too - well done!

Which day did you set off from Irun? I wonder if we crossed paths.
Hey Richard,

That was a fun little flick back into my notepad to check the day. I set off from Irun on 11th June :). What lovely memories.

How was the path for you?

What did you learn?

All the best,

Dan

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Francés, Le Puy / Francés (parts), 2018 Norte (Biarritz), Francés, 2019 Portuguese (Lisbon)
Ah, I left on the first and stuck to the Norte, but you're going quicker than me, so we would have crossed somewhere in the middle. I just checked my credencial and I calculate you got to Santiago a day before me! 😅

I found the journey very theraputic, but it's hard to distill down into clear thoughts exactly why. I certainly challenged myself physically, and that was good to discover how well I handled it. I met a few people who approached life quite differently and it showed me better ways I could live myself. It showed me how little I needed to actually be happy in life - food, shelter, company and nature. That is immensely reassuring, I find.

Daniel Beaumont

Camino(s) past & future
Ah, I left on the first and stuck to the Norte, but you're going quicker than me, so we would have crossed somewhere in the middle. I just checked my credencial and I calculate you got to Santiago a day before me! 😅

I found the journey very theraputic, but it's hard to distill down into clear thoughts exactly why. I certainly challenged myself physically, and that was good to discover how well I handled it. I met a few people who approached life quite differently and it showed me better ways I could live myself. It showed me how little I needed to actually be happy in life - food, shelter, company and nature. That is immensely reassuring, I find.
Shame we didn't catch each other, but will you be walking again?

I love your conclusions as well regarding the simplicity of the Camino. The difficulty, thereafter, is applying these beautiful lessons into daily life. The Camino doesn't stop when you reach Santiago, it's only just begun.

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
The difficulty, thereafter, is applying these beautiful lessons into daily life. The Camino doesn't stop when you reach Santiago, it's only just begun.
This is really difficult. I see lots written about what the Camino can do for people while they're on it, the transformational aspect, but not very much about the changes that occur after you get home. For me it's been difficult coming home. The stark contrast between the happiness on the camino and my rather dull everyday existence has left me often quite confused and depressed afterwards. It's like you know there should be a better way to live, but it's just frustratingly always out of reach. I'd love to hear more from anyone who's successfully integrated camino breakthroughs into their home lives.

willydp

Camino(s) past & future
CI June 2019
Hello Daniel,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, emotions,... with us. It is not always easy to express and share them😉
I enjoyed reading (all of it) about your daily struggles, happiness, progress. Gives a good insight what to expect for future walker's...
learn to know oneself and enjoy the moment. Keep up your positive attitude 😊
Looking forward to read about your next Camino('s).
Carpe Diem 🌞

anthikes

Camino(s) past & future
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
This is really difficult. I see lots written about what the Camino can do for people while they're on it, the transformational aspect, but not very much about the changes that occur after you get home. For me it's been difficult coming home. The stark contrast between the happiness on the camino and my rather dull everyday existence has left me often quite confused and depressed afterwards. It's like you know there should be a better way to live, but it's just frustratingly always out of reach. I'd love to hear more from anyone who's successfully integrated camino breakthroughs into their home lives.
I think it's a bit like the post-holiday blues, but possible more intense.

The way I use to cope was to almost immediately start planning my next trip. This seem to provide enough escapism for me from my normal working life.

In order to satisfy my wanderlust I dreamed of being my own boss, and being able to choose when I work, and I managed to achieve that some years ago. I appreciate for many people this would not be realistic, so the 'planning next trip' would remain my best advice, as well as contributing to this forum too.

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
I think it's a bit like the post-holiday blues, but possible more intense.

The way I use to cope was to almost immediately start planning my next trip. This seem to provide enough escapism for me from my normal working life.

In order to satisfy my wanderlust I dreamed of being my own boss, and being able to choose when I work, and I managed to achieve that some years ago. I appreciate for many people this would not be realistic, so the 'planning next trip' would remain my best advice, as well as contributing to this forum too.
That's exactly what I've done. I'm self-employed too, and I'm in danger of becoming a camino "addict". Four caminos in two years. I loved them all but I'm in danger of running out of routes and of making myself sick of the places I love, plus I think always escaping to the next trip might not be psychologically healthy for me long-term. It's tricky.

NomadBoomer

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (September 2017), Vdlp (April 2018)
Hey fellow pilgrims,

Last June/July I walked the Camino Del Norte, starting in Irun, heading on to the Camino Primitivo, and finishing my journey on the coast in Finisterre a month later.

I kept a journal each day of my walk - philosophical, journalistic and reflective in nature - about my thoughts, feelings, the people I met and the lessons I learned along the way.

I’ve compiled each of those daily journal entries into a long-form article about the entire journey, so if there’s anyone interested in walking the Camino Del Norte, or passionate about the Camino in general, then feel free to take a read.

I’ll also be walking the Via de la Plata this May and documenting my journey in a similar style again, so I’d love any feedback on how I could improve the documentation/journalling process.

Happy reading and Buen Camino to any pilgrim lucky enough to be walking the way this year.

P.s. if you decide to document your own journey, be sure to send me a link - I’d love to read about your experiences.

Thanks Daniel. A lovely well written read. I'll make note of some of those alburgues but I shall be walking shorter stages than you. And despite your advice I'm going non waterproof shoes.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
BrienC Camino del Norte blogs/photo albums 0

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 178 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 291 24.5%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 339 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock