• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Readiness Training

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
So, OK we've done two caminos so far - the Frances and the Via de la Plata. We are planning El Norte for the spring.

Here's the question.... we are slightly "elder" with significant knee issues. Do you think this is a suitable route for us? (Of course we've done the route of physiotherapy, accupuncture, etc)... Or should we re-look at the routes that we've already done????

We would love to hear from peregrinos who are in our experience-age-fitness situation on how to manage yet another camino. (We will keep doing the camino until we die.....)

Thanks so much.

lynne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lynnejohn.... I don't have an answer for you.... but I have a 'thank you' to make.

When I walked the Camino recently, I took with me a little collection of writings/songs etc that for me were 'inspiration'. I had these typed on little pieces of paper, and would carry a few in my pocket so I could read them as I walked.

On one of these pieces of paper, I had a quote from something you wrote long ago on the forum. After about the first week, when the weather was very wet and cold, and the going got tough, I had reason to read and re-read this quote from you:
"Concentrate on only the next step; and keep walking. Don't think about the total number of kilometres you are walking. Only think about what you are walking today. Right now. Step by step, hill by hill, rest stop by rest stop - that's how you accomplish your goal."
So, you would not have known it at the time, but mid-April, you were a source of inspiration for me. Thank you!
Margaret

Thanks for reminding me. I have been so caught up with my recent challenges with my knee and associated implications that I forgot my own advice. You have brought me back to my original philosophy. I will go with the intent and motivation of completing the journey but will accept, with whatever grace I can, what I am given.

Thanks again.

lynne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.