• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Readiness

Annie Little

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept-Oct 2016
Hi All

So as the time approaches...... the head games commence :oops:
Am I ready ? No
Am I anxious? Yes
Why am I going ? Who knows
Are there reasons to go ? Yes
Are there reasons not to go ? Yes
I know I am not ready but I could wait another two years and still not be ready on some level.
So I am just going to rock up and see what happens .

Perhaps readiness is not as important as willingness . Willing to put myself outside my comfort zone.
I will definitely be walking MY way. I know myself well enough to know I only rely on myself and so have to do it my way.
I know it is perfectly probable that I will get there and tell myself that I did not prepare and should have .
BUT if I don't go now then I never shall. I have already put this off a few times. Reasons presented themselves and I took the opportunity to opt out .

Anyone else had these feelings ???
Yes I know should just stop thinking and get on with it and I am doing both...overthinking AND getting on with it .
Most anxious about the first two days ..... starting St Jean walking to Valcarlos first night stop over have booked private accommodation to give my head a break. Not sure if stop over and staying on my own a good idea but thats what I will do.

Cheers
Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Anne , remember you are an Australian , a member of one of the most practical , straightforward and capable races in the world . Anyone who claims to have no self doubt is either foolish or unfortunately deluded . It seems you have been trying to start for three years ; time to go .

Hi Anne-
Like you, we are walking in September (leaving SJPP on 9/20), and like you, I am plagued by head games, which I suspect is very normal. I have pared down my packing list and can carry my pack with no problem, yet I still review the list in my head each night. I have faithfully followed advice from forum members on blister prevention and have trained hundreds of miles without a blister on my usually blister-prone feet, yet I worry that I will need different supplies than I have packed. Then I take a deep breath and realize that I will have enough to get me through a day or two and can buy what I need if I need something else. Like you, I worry endlessly about the first two days, but we will both make it, no matter how slowly we might need to take it. I know I will feel better when I actually start walking the Camino rather than thinking about walking it, and I hope you will too. You are definitely not alone in your thoughts!
Buen Camino!
Karen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anne,

It is wonderful that you are serious about this journey and have prepared the best you can. It sounds like you are very capable of handling things as they come. Nobody can predict what will happen five minutes from now even at home. It is about the journey and this is part of it. Enjoy the journey.

I hope your camino is everything you need.

Buen Camino!

Mike

It's pretty normal to have a little anxiety whenever you are taking on a new challenge however if you give yourself some perspective it may help settle the nerves.

First, you're following in the footsteps of literally millions of other Pilgrims so you don't need to figure out how to get from A to B, just follow the yellow arrows (and other Pilgrims) and they will happily lead you to Santiago.

Second, you are walking in a country with great infrastructure that is dotted with Albergues for your convenience, very good and affordable cellular service to give you piece of mind when you're alone, where pretty much anything you need you can just buy and should you need to take a break from walking the various modes of transportation are very good.

Finally, you've been part of this community for three years and probably read countless pieces of advice, heard great recommendations from experienced walkers and learned about many of the pitfalls the easy way... from others who already made the mistakes!

Try and take a deep breath and realize all that's left is to take your first step...!
Buen Camino!

Feeling the same, excited, but anxious. We are leaving for England on Aug. 30, traveling until Sept. 19 when we will walk from SJPdP to Orisson. We plan on 38 days to get to Santiago. I tried various sock and shoe combinations and practice trips. I am still missing a big toenail from injuring it hiking in May. I got bigger shoes after that. I have learned I have bumps on my heels that make me blister prone and now have strategies to prevent them. Hopefully, I have inflicted my feet with the damage here and learned not to ignore the burn and let a blister form. I appreciate all the advice and encouragement people share on this forum. Knowing you all thrived though this helps me calm my fears.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Anne
Welcome and Buen Camino from another Aussie. You'll meet many of our fellow countrymen/women along the Way and the last 100kms with the smell of eucalypts will feel like coming home.

Are we ever really ready for any great adventure in life? The questioning and anxious mind is a perfectly normal response. After all, you'll be walking half a planet away from all that you know. You sound as though you are well prepared and that will serve you very well.

Start steady, take your time, look around, enjoy! It's really that simple and the ordinary acts of walk, eat, sleep repeated day by day will become a meditation and companion on your journey. You'll meet wonderful people, traverse stunning landscapes, savour some memorable meals... all on a path where so many have gone before you with exactly the same questions and apprehension.

Booking your first night is a very good idea. You know your destination and that there'll be a bed at the end of that first day.

I'm betting that when you get to Santiago you'll look back and smile at the Anne that took those first steps in the hope of arriving...

Go Well

Perhaps readiness is not as important as willingness . Willing to put myself outside my comfort zone.
I will definitely be walking MY way. I know myself well enough to know I only rely on myself and so have to do it my way.
@Annie Little
The way will bring you many surprises, if you are open to it. Maybe you can trust that you are able to take care of yourself without getting too attached to MY way. As for only relying on yourself, you will meet many "camino angels" if you need them and are open to their help. For me, the Way was a way of learning. I hope that you will be able to learn what it has to teach you. Blessings on your Way.

You said it best: its WILLINGNESS not readiness! Or I should say, the willingness makes you ready! No one can ever prepare for the Camino, even if they try. Best of luck to you! You'll be in my prayers! (And yes, even on the plane, I was still wondering what the heck I was doing, so don't sweat the pre-Camino jitters!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wokabout Mari "Are we ever really ready for any great adventure in life? The questioning and anxious mind is a perfectly normal response. After all, you'll be walking half a planet away from all that you know. You sound as though you are well prepared and that will serve you very well. "

Yes I so true . I have had many adventures and go through the same thing each time .... Travelled many times in past ten years and have been anxious each but return empowered again from having gone out if my comfort zone . I have never felt ready I just did it ....

Thanks for replying
Your words reinforced
Anne

@Annie Little
The way will bring you many surprises, if you are open to it. Maybe you can trust that you are able to take care of yourself without getting too attached to MY way. As for only relying on yourself, you will meet many "camino angels" if you need them and are open to their help. For me, the Way was a way of learning. I hope that you will be able to learn what it has to teach you. Blessings on your Way.
Argh and now you have struck on one of my foibles ..... Trust is difficult for me . I am sure the CAMINO has lessons in store for me . That is the ONLY thing I am sure of at this point .

Anne

Argh and now you have struck on one of my foibles ..... Trust is difficult for me . I am sure the CAMINO has lessons in store for me . That is the ONLY thing I am sure of at this point .

Anne
@Annie Little
As so often is the case on this forum, I saw this issue because it is my own as well. On my first camino last fall, I was taught quite firmly (I am a Christian) that I could trust in the Lord to provide for all my needs. And I have been taught it again every day since, including today, as I prepare for my second camino. Blessings on your Way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Perhaps readiness is not as important as willingness
As I am leaving in two weeks, this line of yours really hit me. Just yesterday, my mum was saying to me that maybe I should train for a year before doing the Camino instead doing it this year. I have been training for a bit, but nowhere near a year. In a year from now, I may be more ready, but I may no longer be willing. For me it is right now that I am willing and able. Completely ready? That may never happen. I am also getting jitters and thoughts of "are you out of your gourd" flit through my mind once in a while. Some times it is good to be a little out of ones gourd.

:) I felt silly after I started this thread ...... thanks all for the responses ..... seems I am not so silly after all ...
As I am leaving in two weeks, this line of yours really hit me. Just yesterday, my mum was saying to me that maybe I should train for a year before doing the Camino instead doing it this year. I have been training for a bit, but nowhere near a year. In a year from now, I may be more ready, but I may no longer be willing. For me it is right now that I am willing and able. Completely ready? That may never happen. I am also getting jitters and thoughts of "are you out of your gourd" flit through my mind once in a while. Some times it is good to be a little out of ones gourd.

As someone else said : we cannot train for many things in life but still survive for the most part... and we can never be completely ready for anything at all ....

Cheers
Anne

Hi Anne , great to hear your Camino is now going ahead , we corresponded in the past before your postponement, and I share many of your anxieties, but also know you will have a wonderful journey ! I just wish other commitments would let our paths cross, but sadly I think I'm looking at 2017 before I'll be there. Buen Camino, Enjoy, Share photos !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Anne , great to hear your Camino is now going ahead , we corresponded in the past before your postponement, and I share many of your anxieties, but also know you will have a wonderful journey ! I just wish other commitments would let our paths cross, but sadly I think I'm looking at 2017 before I'll be there. Buen Camino, Enjoy, Share photos !

Hi Steven
Hope you are well . Yes would be good if our paths crossed .... :) But who knows ... Maybe I will develop Camino addiction and be back next year ...

I love these meltdowns I have when going outside my comfort zone .... It always means something great is going to happen :cool:...... Two weeks to go ... Can't wait ... Would like to jump on plane tomorrow ....

Cheers
Anne

Hi Anne, I can sense your excitement , the two weeks will fly by ! You're right about the over thinking, but easier said than done, I know ! Relax, enjoy, look forward , so glad ( and a bit green eyed ! )you're having a complete break , change, relocation, how fantastic for you. Hope it's all you expect and more. I look forward to hearing about it sometime. Buen Camino.

Hi Anne-
Like you, we are walking in September (leaving SJPP on 9/20), and like you, I am plagued by head games, which I suspect is very normal. I have pared down my packing list and can carry my pack with no problem, yet I still review the list in my head each night. I have faithfully followed advice from forum members on blister prevention and have trained hundreds of miles without a blister on my usually blister-prone feet, yet I worry that I will need different supplies than I have packed. Then I take a deep breath and realize that I will have enough to get me through a day or two and can buy what I need if I need something else. Like you, I worry endlessly about the first two days, but we will both make it, no matter how slowly we might need to take it. I know I will feel better when I actually start walking the Camino rather than thinking about walking it, and I hope you will too. You are definitely not alone in your thoughts!
Buen Camino!
Karen
I too am leaving SJPP on September 9 and am plagued with worries and excitement. hope to meet you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back