• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reading and listening - history, language, Spain

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I just want to give a quick recommendation for some information sources I've been using recently - 3 audio and one paper source - related to Spain and languages. Some have been mentioned here before, but are worth pointing out again.
  1. The History of Spain, narrated by Joyce Salisbury - One of The Great Courses - You can also get it at Audible.com as a free introductory credit if you subscribe. You can cancel your subscription at any time. It consists of 24 half-hour lectures and I've listened through twice.
  2. The Story of Human Language, by John McWhorter - Another of the Great Courses, consisting of 36 lectures. I'm on episode 25 now. Since I didn't cancel my Audible subscription in time (for item #1), I was charged $14 for another month, but I got 2 more purchases for that price. So $14 for many hours of entertainment and education. (For my second credit I got an audio version of Don Quixote, translated by Edith Grossman, but I haven't started it yet.)
  3. The History of English Podcast, by Kevin Stroud - There are over 100 episodes that you can download free from this website or from i-tunes. I have only listened to the introductory lecture but have downloaded a few to my phone.
  4. The Story of Spanish, by Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow. This is an actual book that was available through my library.
I am a recent convert to listening to podcasts when I walk. However, I find that I cannot comfortably listen to Spanish while I walk - it requires too much concentration and I don't enjoy either the listening or the walk. I found that I couldn't listen to language lessons when driving, either, as it distracted me too much.

So, I will go to Spain next week to practice my Spanish in person!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I appreciate your posting those resources; I will likely be looking at them in the near future. I've been going through "A Concise History of Spain", which is quite readable.

Out of all the European countries I have lived or traveled in, I love Spain the most!!! Which is sort of ironic as it is the last one that I have spent any time visiting. As a result, I want to get to know as much about that country as I can.

And I still am having a hard time learning Spanish, even when using different apps and programs. I'm just not wired for easy language learning, but i am persistent. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am a recent convert to listening to podcasts when I walk. However, I find that I cannot comfortably listen to Spanish while I walk - it requires too much concentration and I don't enjoy either the listening or the walk. I found that I couldn't listen to language lessons when driving, either, as it distracted me too much.
I can't listen to Spanish podcasts/lesson while I drive either, because I miss too much because I'm, well, driving! However, I do like to listen to easy Spanish podcasts while I walk, especially when it's one of my regular routes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks @C clearly - book on order at the library.
I have a Great Courses account so went to order The History of Spain directly - but not at $150!! Audible account coming up next!

And I still am having a hard time learning Spanish, even when using different apps and programs. I'm just not wired for easy language learning, but i am persistent.
The History of Human Language and the Story of Spanish have given me more insight into how languages evolve, and how people use and change them.

I alternate between thinking I am almost fluent in Spanish, and thinking that I am totally deluded to think myself fluent. My "Standard Spanish" (written, spoken and heard) is actually quite good, but when others slip into non-standard language, I am severely challenged. It is not simply the speed, although that is also a factor. ALL of us tend to speak non-standard language in informal situations, and some people are better able than others to revert to standard language when speaking with someone who is less than perfectly fluent.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for these! I will look into all of them. I loved McWhorter’s book “The Power of Babel.”

Alas, on Goodreads I find several reviewers who are critical of “The Story of Spanish” for what they say are numerous errors. I still want to read it, but if that’s true then shame on the editors for not helping the authors clean it up.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15793078

I find several reviewers who are critical of “The Story of Spanish” for what they say are numerous errors. I still want to read it
I'd agree that it was not a brilliant book that I would quote as an authority. I had a few questions about phrases they translated as examples. Nevertheless it was an interesting read and gave me ideas to explore and confirm elsewhere. (But I rarely buy books - I borrow from the library.)

I have the 24-lecture Great Courses "History of Spain" by Prof. Joyce Salisbury. It is fabulous. I have listened to the whole thing twice and it is on my iPhone for future use.

See: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-history-of-spain-land-on-a-crossroad.html

I take issue with some of Dr. Salisbury's 'facts,' especially as concerns the Cult of Santiago and the entire history and development of the Camino. But, this is relative. I think my knowledge just happens to be better than hers on this one, narrow issue. But, the remainder of her lecture series is spot-on. I recommend it highly.

One additional comment and my personal addition to 'C Clearly's' comments is to include James Michener's "Iberia." Not a novel, more of an anthropological broad brush of the various Spanish regions, this seminal work (very long) covers the breadth and depth of the Iberian peninsula since prehistoric times. IMHO, if you want a good overview of how Spain became Spain (and Portugal) read this book. The book should be available in most libraries. I believe it is still in print too.

Also, I have a 30 lesson Pimsleur 'listen and repeat' Spanish course on my iPhone. I listen to it when I take walks, ride my bike, or work out at the gym. You can buy this online and download the files to your computer or mobile device. Once I finish all 30 lessons, I repeat them. I am now on my third go-round...practice makes perfect(er). I find that a stepped progression works best for me. Each seesion is one hpour long and covers two lessons. For example, I would listen to lessen 8 & 9. Then the next time, I listen to lesson 9 & 10. Then 10 & 11, and so forth...

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is ALSO available as an audio download. I bought the audio-only version, NOT the video. So, I cannot speak to the content. it comes as .mp3 download files.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I didn't miss them at all. Audio only suited me.

Agree. I saw an ad in the Sunday NYT last summer and downloaded the audio to their iPhone app. It costs $25 plus tax on sale. I listened to 2-3 lectures each day while walking. They were outstanding. The Great Courses have annual sales when courses are steeply discounted, the best time to buy. Alternatively, some libraries have the video courses available.

I just want to give a quick recommendation for some information sources I've been using recently - 3 audio and one paper source - related to Spain and languages. Some have been mentioned here before, but are worth pointing out again.
  1. The History of Spain, narrated by Joyce Salisbury - One of The Great Courses - You can also get it at Audible.com as a free introductory credit if you subscribe. You can cancel your subscription at any time. It consists of 24 half-hour lectures and I've listened through twice.
  2. The Story of Human Language, by John McWhorter - Another of the Great Courses, consisting of 36 lectures. I'm on episode 25 now. Since I didn't cancel my Audible subscription in time (for item #1), I was charged $14 for another month, but I got 2 more purchases for that price. So $14 for many hours of entertainment and education. (For my second credit I got an audio version of Don Quixote, translated by Edith Grossman, but I haven't started it yet.)
  3. The History of English Podcast, by Kevin Stroud - There are over 100 episodes that you can download free from this website or from i-tunes. I have only listened to the introductory lecture but have downloaded a few to my phone.
  4. The Story of Spanish, by Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow. This is an actual book that was available through my library.

So, I will go to Spain next week to practice my Spanish in person!
Thanks for this info! I have done the Audible deal. I was looking for a good resource on Spanish history and I will do this one in the car. Thanks again.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back