• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reading book worth carrying?

jkb122

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall (2019)
Hello! I plan on starting my first Camino in September 2019: any thoughts on a book that you felt was worth its weight to carry? I am not interested in taking a kindle, or reading from my phone. I was thinking about something from John O'Donohue; or maybe the Pilgrimage book by Phil Cousineau? I would love to hear if anyone really felt the book they carried was enlightening and not just extra weight. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I decided not to take a mobile phone to save weight. Unfortunately because this meant I didn't have access to Google I had to pack a full set of leather bound encyclopedias. People mocked until an argument about the capital of Nigeria broke out..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love to read, but for me the book of the Camino is engrossing enough.

If I were to carry anything it would be poetry - something that takes me into the heart, rather than information that takes me into the head. So some John O'Donohue would be perfect, starting with this:

For the Traveler
Every time you leave home,
Another road takes you
Into a world you were never in.

New strangers on other paths await.
New places that have never seen you
Will startle a little at your entry.
Old places that know you well
Will pretend nothing
Changed since your last visit.

When you travel, you find yourself
Alone in a different way,
More attentive now
To the self you bring along,
Your more subtle eye watching
You abroad; and how what meets you
Touches that part of the heart
That lies low at home:

How you unexpectedly attune
To the timbre in some voice,
Opening in conversation
You want to take in
To where your longing
Has pressed hard enough
Inward, on some unsaid dark,
To create a crystal of insight
You could not have known
You needed
To illuminate
Your way.

When you travel,
A new silence
Goes with you,
And if you listen,
You will hear
What your heart would
Love to say.

A journey can become a sacred thing:
Make sure, before you go,
To take the time
To bless your going forth,
To free your heart of ballast
So that the compass of your soul
Might direct you toward
The territories of spirit
Where you will discover
More of your hidden life,
And the urgencies
That deserve to claim you.

May you travel in an awakened way,
Gathered wisely into your inner ground;
That you may not waste the invitations
Which wait along the way to transform you.

May you travel safely, arrive refreshed,
And live your time away to its fullest;
Return home more enriched, and free
To balance the gift of days which call you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love to read, but for me the book of the Camino is engrossing enough.

If I were to carry anything it would be poetry - something that takes me into the heart, rather than information that takes me into the head. So some John O'Donohue would be perfect, starting with this:

For the Traveler
Every time you leave home,
Another road takes you
Into a world you were never in.

New strangers on other paths await.
New places that have never seen you
Will startle a little at your entry.
Old places that know you well
Will pretend nothing
Changed since your last visit.

When you travel, you find yourself
Alone in a different way,
More attentive now
To the self you bring along,
Your more subtle eye watching
You abroad; and how what meets you
Touches that part of the heart
That lies low at home:

How you unexpectedly attune
To the timbre in some voice,
Opening in conversation
You want to take in
To where your longing
Has pressed hard enough
Inward, on some unsaid dark,
To create a crystal of insight
You could not have known
You needed
To illuminate
Your way.

When you travel,
A new silence
Goes with you,
And if you listen,
You will hear
What your heart would
Love to say.

A journey can become a sacred thing:
Make sure, before you go,
To take the time
To bless your going forth,
To free your heart of ballast
So that the compass of your soul
Might direct you toward
The territories of spirit
Where you will discover
More of your hidden life,
And the urgencies
That deserve to claim you.

May you travel in an awakened way,
Gathered wisely into your inner ground;
That you may not waste the invitations
Which wait along the way to transform you.

May you travel safely, arrive refreshed,
And live your time away to its fullest;
Return home more enriched, and free
To balance the gift of days which call you.
Thanks so much-- love this...yes I was also thinking poetry if I were going to take anything to read

I take a small and compact New Testament with Pslams for a devotional and prayer time just before I start my daily walk in the mornings. It is the same one I carried in various military-sponsored tours of Southeast Asia a few decades back.

I find that in general, while I love reading, I just do not miss it while on Camino. I'm too busy walking, sight-seeing, doing chores, eating, visiting, or sleeping. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A well thumbed edition of Collected Short Stories of Saki - Hector Hugh Munro is a treasured traveling companion. A hefty 340gm (yes, I just weighed it); it has stories to suit all occasions all of which have been read many, many times.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find that in general, while I love reading, I just do not miss it while on Camino. I'm too busy walking, sight-seeing, doing chores, eating, visiting, or sleeping. :)

Dave is right on with this statement. I love to read but I had no time or desire to do so during 5 weeks on the Camino because I was busy living life instead of reading about it. Do your "research" reading ahead of time.

If you have the personality type where you get anxious if you are not constantly doing something than maybe you need a book. One of the most special things about the Camino is the ability to disconnect from routines, responsibilities and expectations we have at home and sometimes unknowingly bring with us to the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recommend Joseph Heller’s Catch-22
Just this. The only book I have read three times.
Although, on the Camino, I make a point of bringing (but on Kindle, I'm afraid) an unread classic - Vanity Fair was my last one. I'll probably take a Trollope when I set off next week.

Although, on the Camino, I make a point of bringing (but on Kindle, I'm afraid) an unread classic - Vanity Fair was my last one. I'll probably take a Trollope when I set off next week.
As James Major was once reputed to have said: you can't beat a good Trollope!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! I plan on starting my first Camino in September 2019: any thoughts on a book that you felt was worth its weight to carry? I am not interested in taking a kindle, or reading from my phone. I was thinking about something from John O'Donohue; or maybe the Pilgrimage book by Phil Cousineau? I would love to hear if anyone really felt the book they carried was enlightening and not just extra weight. Thanks!
A book which I come back to time and again is by John O'Donohue and is a posthumous collection of radio talks. It is Walking on the Pastures of Wonder, edited by John Quinn. It has recently come out in paperback and there seems to be an edition in the USA called Walking in Wonder. It is an easier read than some of his other works - very conversational. Very good on landscape, and walking, and being still, and being quiet. And much else. And it contains a selection of his poetry, one for each chapter. I haven't taken it on a camino, but a lot of it is in my head now! The only book I have taken to read in paper is a small NT. Oh and a Kindle!! - but I find I read very little when walking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a die hard reader, but didn't take a book when I walked, I took a travel journal instead (lightweight Moleskine, always a winner). I still felt that I didn't get enough time to write in it after walking, setting up in the albergue, showering, washing clothes, eating, chatting, basking in the afternoon sun, and sightseeing. But then again, you can always take one from a second hand place and if you aren't reading it or it's too heavy you can donate it to an albergue or another pilgrim.

I took and enjoyed Laurie Lee's account of his travels on foot around Spain in 'As I Walked out one Midsummer's morning'. I had a kobo with me though, so I also had The Pilgrimage Road, Basho's haikus, the Bible and some Xena fan fiction. You never know what you might need. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks so much for all the thoughtful suggestions: I haven't decided if the extra weight is worth carrying, but I wanted to know if anyone else carried a favorite book (or tablet). I appreciate all the responses, and have a lot to think about

I read on my iPad and so weight is not an issue. If you want to read a flippant, entertaining novel set on the Camino, then I strongly recommend ‘Two Steps Forward’ by an Aussie husband and wife couple. Buen Camino

What about Michener's 'Iberia'?

If you want an "about Spain" book, I think that Giles Tremlett's "Ghosts of Spain" would be lighter and more current.

My reading on Caminos usually involves a pocket Oxford edition of one of Trollope's novels. They were written to be read as stand-alone episodes, much like a TV serial, in a narrative. You can read the 15-25pp of each chapter without worrying what happened to the archdeacon that week. However, I found myself distracted by the vision of the sky turning indigo while sitting in a plaza, the stones still warm from the day, and it usually takes me a full month to finish the book.

Gitlitz and Davidson is gold for the Frances; the wicked pilgrim can read up about their next day's stop in advance, so that they can casually drop references to Wamba III's unfortunate fate, commemorated above the apse in the 12c church of San Ildefonso, so reminiscent of the work of the Maestro Sancho of Navajas. The downside is that you risk being thrown down a well by annoyed pilgrims.

"The Way is the Goal" by Raimund Joos. A splendid guidebook for CF.
Conrad Stein Verlag ISBN 978-3-86686-517-4 about 17 €.
But weight is 260 grams, and I decided to read it at home.
Instead, there is myriad of free programs for phone without additional weight.
For a paper guide I recommend Michelin "Camino de Santiago" for CF: 85 grams.
www.michelin-boutique.com
Ignore, if your interest is more for leasure reading novels or like.

Yes, Trollope is always a pleasure. Great characters and observation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Never in my life a book was extra weight, not even when I was climbing. People looked at me as if I was crazy though :)
For Camino I always choose thick but lightweight paperback with small font letters (in English - because it is not my first language) so it can last through the whole Camino. On two Caminos Jonathan Franzen was with me but I can't really recommend any author or book although Iberia would be quite adequate as already suggested.

Wish you nice read on your nice Camino ;)

Last edited:
Pilgrims often say they don’t have time to read on the Camino. If reading is important to you, you will make the time for it. I never leave home without at least one book in my bag. The choice of whether and what to bring is yours alone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How about Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a good trip in more ways than one. If only because the author does a very good job of pointing out that "it's the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top".

I'm a reader too,,, but you can read on your phone,,, kindle or PDF,,, why carry extra weight

I agree with you in theory, and electronic readers have the very real advantages of being able to adjust font size and provide their own lighting, but there are a few of us who love the feel of a book, and have even been known to haul out our pens and use them as notebooks and address books. It's entirely irrational, but if we were entirely rational beings, we might not be stomping through the backwoods of Spain....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carried a guide book and also had a 6 inch Kindle. At that time I did not have a smart phone so used the Kindle for email, maps, etc. when I had wifi. I did not have time to read for pleasure, but used these to help guide my journey.

A
I agree with you in theory, and electronic readers have the very real advantages of being able to adjust font size and provide their own lighting, but there are a few of us who love the feel of a book, and have even been known to haul out our pens and use them as notebooks and address books. It's entirely irrational, but if we were entirely rational beings, we might not be stomping through the backwoods of Spain....
and I too agree in theory, ,,but after walking today on the Camino de San Salvador,, across the pass to Pajares,,,, I'm happy not to be carrying any extra weight!!!

How about Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a good trip in more ways than one. If only because the author does a very good job of pointing out that "it's the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top".
I was halfway through reading it when somebody told me what happened to Chris (in real life) and I never finished it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was halfway through reading it when somebody told me what happened to Chris (in real life) and I never finished it.

It was indeed a shame what happened to Chris, but that took place about five years after publication of the book, and for me didn't 'spoil' it. On the contrary, I had to read it about four times to finally figure out what Pirsig was on about. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, I'm afraid...

On both Caminos I took a paperback AND my kindle. I LOVE to read so for me it was worth it. This August when I'm on St.Cuthberts Way I will only be taking my phone to read from....or maybe a paperback! Not THAT much weight to worry about.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The last few Caminos I took one paperback with me and used to switch it for another book in an albergue on the way.

I did not want to bother with an expensive item like a tablet or a kindle. I had my phone and accessed my library book on tapes a sorry now my audio files or my listening library when I liked some night bed time stories for canceling out the night time snorers. Plus itibitty little print on cell no good for me. That way I relax with soothing voices.
If you are a Napolionic war the peninsular campaign buff the Sharp series from Cornwell is great.

Last edited:
A copy of War and Peace would last the entire camino ... and the next two caminos too.

I'm a fan of reading classics while travelling. Great Expectations? Moby Dick? Both lighter than W&P.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A copy of War and Peace would last the entire camino ... and the next two caminos too.

I'm a fan of reading classics while travelling. Great Expectations? Moby Dick? Both lighter than W&P.
Oh a fellow Napoleonic times fan. War and peace and can double as a pillow to or self defense device. I one threatened a intruder with hitting him over the head with my Britannica, but than it just was my better half having forgotten the back door key.

Thank you for this reply! Also, I don't seem to retain what I read on a screen...it is just different, and I try to avoid it

Thank you for this reply! Also, I don't seem to retain what I read on a screen...it is just different, and I try to avoid it
My original plan was to read Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle from the Kindle app on my phone, but I found, as others above, that I had little interest in reading at the end of the day's walk. So, I changed up and downloaded the Audible version of it and listened as I walked. I found that, as my undistracted Camino-mind slowed down, I was able to listen deeply to the nuance of text in a way that I normally couldn't if reading with my multi-tasking everyday-mind. I might only listen to a chapter and then ponder for an hour or two, or resume after a cafe stop or friendly chat with someone else along the way. On my next Camino, I walked to the audio text of Imitation of Christ to the same delightful, focused awareness of nuance and otherwise easily missed meaning. I can't imagine any book that I'd haul with me for my next Camino than can compare to walking with a good audiobook.

I use guidebook apps or Kindle versions on the phone. I can't justify the weight of a physical guidebook.

On the other hand, I'll take my breviary, which is odd because I'll use a breviary app at home more than the physical books, but something in my soul cries for the tangibility of the book when I'm walking. Odd, but there it is.

Be the book you want others to read....
Love

I'm going to be in Europe for awhile before the Camino, so I'll have an iPod with some relevant audiobooks with me--Don Quixote, Orlando Furioso.... And a paper pocket book of the birds of Spain.

I'm also on the "I love to read, but not on Camino" side of the spectrum.
Maybe take a cheap paperback copy with you, and if you think it's too heavy, just donate it to another pilgrim or albergue after a few days :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

A Journey to the West by Domenico Laffi
(Diary of a 17th century Italian priest and pilgrim to Santiago)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Only on the Way for a few weeks this time, so can't read anything too demanding...... My choice? San Manuel Bueno, Martir, by Unamuno. Read it many years ago. Time to read it again.

Only on the Way for a few weeks this time, so can't read anything too demanding...... My choice? San Manuel Bueno, Martir, by Unamuno. Read it many years ago. Time to read it again.
Really interesting choice--thanks for the suggestion!

I'm read 'The Unnamed' by Joshua Ferris, about a man who has a mysterious condition in which he is compelled to walk.
Megg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would say.. the purpose driven life by Rick warren

Robinson Crusoe or a similar classic adventure, a small new testament with psalms and proverbs, and a lightweight journal.

I'd urge you to reconsider your "no kindle" position. That was my lifesaver - I could read at night in the albergues without bothering other pilgrims with a light; I could read on the plane, and what I got through between airports, planes, and reading myself to sleep at night would have added several pounds to my pack, had I brought them on paper!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.