• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reading/reflection

A

AJ

Any suggestions for appropriate reading material for reflecting upon - I should have plenty of time for that on the Via Mozarabe!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I guess my question is:

Upon what do you wish to reflect on:

your navel, an inner being, the meaning of life, the meaning of death and what follows, there are a myriad of topics.

Might I suggest you consider this:

Find a VERY quiet place away from the crowds...close your eyes and breathe. What do you hear and what does it signify. Do you hear birds, crickets, cars off in the distance, or a jet flying overhead? What does that mean to you, to the world, to the Camino.

Find a fairly noisy spot: Seek out a sound different from the normal press of sounds: a baby crying in the distance, a train whistle, bells on a cart. Why did that particular sound appeal to you among all the others. Could it be you have a new baby in the family you miss, did you arrive for you Camino by train and it's calling to you...helping you along, do the bells...as small as they are still ring true amid the clatter and the great bells of the cathedral?

Why...seek out! Well, to be practical...you don't have to carry the extra weight of a book. You only have to engage your mind!

Press on!

Arn

Arn said:
Why...seek out! Well, to be practical...you don't have to carry the extra weight of a book. You only have to engage your mind!

The Arnster is right - indeed, your mind may actually engage you in ways you won't anticipate. That was certainly my experience... :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Might I suggest a journal to write rather than to read? You can also read your journal on the Way... how did feel, what did I see, what were my reflections a week ago, two weeks ago? Additionally, there are many pamphlets along the Way: prayers, writings, reflections...I collected many to my detriment...they ended up weighing down my pack, but I wouldnt' part with them and am now glad to have them! It is truly amazing what paper weighs!!!
Buen Camino,

I took a journal and tried to write in it every night depending on how tired I was. I can even tell that by my handwriting. I have enjoyed reading it so much since I have been home. It reminds me of so many little things that I would have forgotten and it is nice to look back to see exactly where I was each day.

Deirdre said:
Might I suggest a journal to write rather than to read?

I second that - my journal has been helpful for jogging my memory on small details, timelines, and stuff like that (indeed, I wish I'd written more than I did).

And if you do email, make sure your email client is set to save your sent items - emails provide a good secondary journal... :arrow:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's a good idea about the emails. I wish I had sent a copy of all my emails to myself too.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back