• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reading while walking :)

Curiosity

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Hi everybody!

With 1,5 week to go I have my gear ready, I'm fit, a little bit nervous but very exited! There's one more thing I can't decide about. It's a bit silly actually...

I like to read books about the country I'm traveling in. Preferably about history in order to understand a country a little bit better. But I can't find any book about the Camino and it's history. What I did find were a lot of books about present day pilgrims. But on my Camino I'm not interested in the soul searching of a writer. That would be too confusing to me. Or books about the Camino history with an academic approach.

Does anybody know a novel about the Camino that takes place in the medievals? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks and buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Awesome question!

I dont have the answer but I`ll be watching the thread as I have also interest in books about history of all Caminos. I have special interest in knowing more about the history of the camino de santiago before Santiago even existed. Well... At least I hear tons of this stories whilst walking during my camino trips: That some of the routes and their historic meanings go way before catholic church "stole" pagan traditions and redesigned as their own.

(not my opinion... Just things I heard about and would love to read studies about it)

Buen Camino Everyone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Try my old favorite "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiage, the Complete Cultural Handbook" Gitlitz and Davidson (his wife). Quite a hefty handbook village by village town to town summaries of history, art and architecture. Also available as Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091I0YOE/?tag=casaivar02-20

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's not about the Camino, but I'm planning to re-read Laurie Lee's trilogy Cider with Rosie, As I Walked out one Midsummer Morning and A Moment of War. If you've not read them, the two latter books are based in Spain in the 1930s and Cider with Rosie is just beautiful (but English not Spanish based).

Awesome question!
I dont have the answer but I`ll be watching the thread as I have also interest in books about history of all Caminos. I have special interest in knowing more about the history of the camino de santiago before Santiago even existed. Well... At least I hear tons of this stories whilst walking during my camino trips: That some of the routes and their historic meanings go way before catholic church "stole" pagan traditions and redesigned as their own.
(not my opinion... Just things I heard about and would love to read studies about it)
Buen Camino Everyone!

This thread was specifically requesting info on pre-Christian "pilgrimage routes".
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/looking-for-pre-christian-camino-books.19765/
Like you I am still looking for any primary source documents rather than "what everyone knows". The earliest record of a pilgrim site in the area of Compostela seems to be that of a shrine to "The Martyrs of Trier" - Priscillian and his companions, dating to the late 4th C.
If anyone has any idea of where to find any Celtic / pre-Celtic information it would be gratefully received ;)
Reading for the Camino, I found "Ghosts of Spain" by Giles Tremlett has much information and background to modern Spain, including the long struggle of the Spanish people to come to terms with the Civil War and its aftermath.

Blessings on your Camino
Tio Tel

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have read several of Paulo Coelho's novels and the one called "The Pilgrimage" I found an enjoyable read. It has turns and twists with some mysticism. Coelho has walked the Camino.

I have read several of Paulo Coelho's novels and the one called "The Pilgrimage" I found an enjoyable read. It has turns and twists with some mysticism. Coelho has walked the Camino.

On the Camino Frances in Viloria de Rioja in their pilgrim Refugio Acácio e Orieta have a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho.

They have also created a most comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds with 10 comfy bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove and great showers that water you and not the ceiling walls or your clothes. Wifi is also available....Drop in and read for a while.

Last edited:
According to the book he didn't finish but stopped after he was 'accepted'.

But a great read in any event.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everybody!

With 1,5 week to go I have my gear ready, I'm fit, a little bit nervous but very exited! There's one more thing I can't decide about. It's a bit silly actually...

I like to read books about the country I'm traveling in. Preferably about history in order to understand a country a little bit better. But I can't find any book about the Camino and it's history. What I did find were a lot of books about present day pilgrims. But on my Camino I'm not interested in the soul searching of a writer. That would be too confusing to me. Or books about the Camino history with an academic approach.

Does anybody know a novel about the Camino that takes place in the medievals? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks and buen Camino!
Well excuse the unashamed plug but my own book has a good section on the history of the camino, well my readers tell me it is good. Its available on amazon at the minute at the discounted price of £0.99/$1.43 for the kindle edition for a few days yet. The title is in my signature

This thread was specifically requesting info on pre-Christian "pilgrimage routes".
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/looking-for-pre-christian-camino-books.19765/
Like you I am still looking for any primary source documents rather than "what everyone knows". The earliest record of a pilgrim site in the area of Compostela seems to be that of a shrine to "The Martyrs of Trier" - Priscillian and his companions, dating to the late 4th C.
If anyone has any idea of where to find any Celtic / pre-Celtic information it would be gratefully received ;)
Reading for the Camino, I found "Ghosts of Spain" by Giles Tremlett has much information and background to modern Spain, including the long struggle of the Spanish people to come to terms with the Civil War and its aftermath.

Blessings on your Camino
Tio Tel

Thanks for your inputs!

Thanks everybody! I decided for Paulo Coelho and Isabel Allende's Zorro. Two books is already too much... But I'm still under 10 kilo's of weight!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back