• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reading?

Not reading it right now, but would like to recommend Geraldine Brooks' "Year of Wonders". Brilliant book set during the plague of 1666.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And serious reading for serious times:
Kyle Harper's The Fate of Rome: Climate, Disease, and the End of an Empire

As this is a Camino forum, I've not felt it appropriate to say anything here about my book (since it doesn't involve the Camino, except for a brief mention). However, as this is a broad thread about books of all kinds, I'd like to share. It has become as if my third adult child, set loose into the world, hoping it will do some good.

The last sentence of the description: "Set against the backdrop of the quest for Kilimanjaro’s summit, Push the Rock is the true story of faith, second chances, and the power of family to overcome life’s greatest challenges."

Push the Rock
Just finished reading your book this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m full of admiration for what you’ve achieved. Wishing you all the best with your future adventures.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just finished reading your book this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m full of admiration for what you’ve achieved. Wishing you all the best with your future adventures.
Thanks for your kind words and well wishes. I'm happy you enjoyed reading it.

I've long thought writing is worth it, even if just one person receives something positive.

Just finished Agent in the Field by LeClare. Fun read.
Working my way through, I Burned for Your Peace: The Confessions of St. Augustine Unpacked, by Peter Krefft.
And, I'm chuckling my way through Hokkaido Highway Blues, by Will Ferguson.
Also, just finished The Songlines, by Bruce Chatwin, which I loved (but not more than In Patagonia!)
My favorite travel book is Arabian Sands, by Wilfred Thesiger. Can't really say why, other than his absolute audacity and the adventure of his travels.
Oh...and not to forget Travels with a Donkey in The Cevennes, by Robert Louis Stevenson. That one contains one of my favorite travel quote, "For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints. And when the present is so exacting, who can annoy himself about the future?"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update on Project Gutenberg Canada:
The Canadian Government has signed the new trade agreement with the United States and Mexico. It goes into force in one week (from this morning's news on CBC). So if you want to download any books from Project Gutenberg Canada which will not be available for free download for twenty years after the next week (to make Canadian copyright laws agree with those of the U.S.) you had better do it now. Go to gutenberg.ca now. I shall probably spend much of the next week there. A good project for pandemic restriction time, but I regret that it is necessary. Happy reading to all.

Edited for further information:
As I understand it, this law relates to the number of years that copyright is extended after the date of death of the author, so only books whose author died between 1950 and 1970 are affected by this extension of copyright. Dates of death are listed on the website.

Last edited:
Update on Project Gutenberg Canada:
The Canadian Government has signed the new trade agreement with the United States and Mexico. It goes into force in one week (from this morning's news on CBC). So if you want to download any books from Project Gutenberg Canada which will not be available for free download for twenty years after the next week (to make Canadian copyright laws agree with those of the U.S.) you had better do it now. Go to gutenberg.ca now. I shall probably spend much of the next week there. A good project for pandemic restriction time, but I regret that it is necessary. Happy reading to all.

Edited for further information:
As I understand it, this law relates to the number of years that copyright is extended after the date of death of the author, so only books whose author died between 1950 and 1970 are affected by this extension of copyright. Dates of death are listed on the website.
From the Project Gutenberg Canada website:

"As it happens, some copyright extensions were in the Friday the 13th bill, but the most damaging one of all, the general twenty-year extension, was not. That will be handled at some point in the next year or two in a separate bill. And it is possible that copyright holders may be required to ask for the extension through formal registration, which means that many copyrights would not be extended."

So it seems like you have a bit more than a week before any extension takes effect.

From the Project Gutenberg Canada website:

"As it happens, some copyright extensions were in the Friday the 13th bill, but the most damaging one of all, the general twenty-year extension, was not. That will be handled at some point in the next year or two in a separate bill. And it is possible that copyright holders may be required to ask for the extension through formal registration, which means that many copyrights would not be extended."

So it seems like you have a bit more than a week before any extension takes effect.

Thank you, David:
I did not have time this morning to read the whole text, as I was assigned to lead Morning Prayer with my church group (by telephone) minutes after I read the first few lines of this report from the Project Gutenberg Canada website. I am a little surprised to understand that the following sentence:
"Well, they did it. On Friday 13 March 2020 the House of Commons rushed the toxic trade deal into law. And we mean rushed! It was "deemed" to have had third reading, and it went through the Senate on the same day."

did not mean what I read it to mean, that the trade deal with regards to copyright had been approved. But I am also delighted, with respect to the twenty year extension. This will give me more time to go through the website and choose the books that I wish to download. I shall try to get this done before it slips my mind, and to develop a regular practice to download what I have chosen. But I did not wish to misinform anyone.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
“Dance? Did you say dance!” ...... Anyone guess which book (film) that line comes from?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...
My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back