Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Ready for the Primitivo!

wanderlustesq

Past OR future Camino
Primitivo
I leave for Madrid tomorrow 5/30/22 and will arrive in Oviedo late on 31st. I’m so excited! Unfortunately, it appears that there’s a lot of rain forecast in Oviedo! Planning on leaving for Palatin on Thursday 2 de junio.

I got my pack down to 11.5 pounds, but the rain forecast is disturbing, so I’m back up to 13 pounds. I weigh about 132, so I guess that’s an acceptable amount, but my practice hikes were much more pleasant carrying only 11.

Hopefully a Spanish SIM card will allow me to continue this post!

Buen Camino

Laura

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.

trose

Past OR future Camino
Primitivo 2021
Portugues 2022
I leave for Madrid tomorrow 5/30/22 and will arrive in Oviedo late on 31st. I’m so excited! Unfortunately, it appears that there’s a lot of rain forecast in Oviedo! Planning on leaving for Palatin on Thursday 2 de junio.

I got my pack down to 11.5 pounds, but the rain forecast is disturbing, so I’m back up to 13 pounds. I weigh about 132, so I guess that’s an acceptable amount, but my practice hikes were much more pleasant carrying only 11.

Buen Camino

Laura
Please do not worry about the forecast, it will be whatever it is. I walked the Primitivo last year and even in the rain it was an awesome experience. Your pack weight seems to be just fine. I picked up an Orange SIM card at The airport in Madrid and it worked just fine for posting my experience. In the first few days you will pass through the small village of Bodenaya where there is the most awesome albergue ringtone along the lane. It is well worth staying there if it is available. Whether you stay or not you should stop and at least say hello to David, the hospitalero , he welcomes everyone and is a true spirit of the Camino. Enjoy your experience! Buen Camino

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia

Buen Camino

Laura
I start on 2 June from Oviedo

Carla M.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo

Buen Camino

Laura
Hope you can get the Spanish SIM so you can share your journey, or have support in case needed.
Enjoy you Camino

Suzanne A

Perigrina desde 2015
Past OR future Camino
2015 CF, 2016 CP, 2018 Le Puy, 2019 CF

Buen Camino

Laura
Hi Laura,
In Grandas de Salime ( day 6). Keep trying to get your pack weight down. Wish mine was lighter. I do see rain in the forecast, but that changes a lot. After Palatin , I advise Roca Madre in La Rodriga and of course Bodenaya can’t be missed. Yes you will want a Spanish SIM card. It gives you so much flexibility. Enjoy every minute. Hopefully you can do the Hospitales route. There is a taxi that will pick you up to save you the last 8 km. I’d advise it! Buen Camino!

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

howardd5

Buen Camino

Laura
If it is raining or threatening rain spend another day in Oviedo , unless it’s a race and $$ is involved . You will remember the walk in a better way if it’s relaxed and you “smell the roses”

F

Former member 99290

Showing ten days of rain!
Dear @wanderlustesq, Laura

I am an optimist … but if you’re looking at weather forecast of 10 days of rain, that could easily mean a xx % chance of some rain for some of the time on any one of those days. Or none at all.

In more than a dozen Caminos, including twice on the Primitivo, I could count on one hand the days when it rained all day. And even then, it didn’t spoil the day.

Take heart. Enjoy. Love the Primitivo. 😎

Carla M.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Showing ten days of rain!

Dear @wanderlustesq , it is your Camino and your decision to take a chance and go for it, to wait for sunnier days or take a bus to outrun the rain. Whatever you decide, just do it out of your heart and not your fears. Don´t let the fears take the Camino away from you, and it is possible to smell the roses with a little rain :)
Bueno Camino

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia

Buen Camino

Laura
Might see you later today? We can chat about packing etc....
Arriving this pm. Regards, Gitti

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads